View Full Version : Top 5 Most Brutal Fights

0Rooster4Life0
07-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Hey All

On the top of your head, Choose in your opinion the top 5 most Brutal fights you have seen. im not sure with my top 5 yet but Foreman Vs Lyle and Ward Vs Gatti are going to be on my list.

ROOSTER

mickey malone
07-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Benn McClellan
Pintor Owen
Minter Jaccapuci
Eubank Watson 2
Griffith Paret

I know it makes ugly reading, but if I'm honest.. They're the worst I've ever seen...

0Rooster4Life0
07-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Benn McClellan
Pintor Owen
Minter Jaccapuci
Eubank Watson 2
Griffith Paret

I know it makes ugly reading, but if I'm honest.. They're the worst I've ever seen...

I watched the Benn fight last night...It was really brutal , either guy could have won. Very entertaining.

mickey malone
07-10-2009, 07:53 PM
I watched the Benn fight last night...It was really brutal , either guy could have won. Very entertaining.
Sure.. That was in no particular order, but I'd say 3 out'a 4 remaining were worse...

0Rooster4Life0
07-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Sure.. That was in no particular order, but I'd say 3 out'a 4 remaining were worse...

Griffith V Paret was a sad fight, should have been stopped, one of the worst KOs i have seen, and he never woke up =(

bojangles1987
07-10-2009, 08:54 PM
I couldn't tell you all time but of the ones I've seen...

Corrales v. Castillo
Ali v. Frazier III
Hagler v. Hearns

TredKiller
07-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Ali Vs Frazier 3
Ward Vs Gatti
Holyfield Vs Qawi (most phyaically draining fight ive ever seen)
Chavez Vs Taylor
Pryor Vs Arguello

mickey malone
07-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Griffith V Paret was a sad fight, should have been stopped, one of the worst KOs i have seen, and he never woke up =(
Johnny Owen & Antonio Jaccapuci went the same way.. RIP

Miburo
07-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Chacon-Limon IV
Resto-Collins

JAB5239
07-11-2009, 07:13 AM
A brutal fight that rarely gets mention was Rober Quiroga and Kid Akeem Afinwoshe. Excellent fight with a tragic ending as Akeem lapsed into a coma after the fight.

CiganoBoxer
07-11-2009, 07:23 AM
I think that Nigel Benn v Gerald McClellan has got to be top of anyones list.....and if it ain't then you just haven't seen the fight!:boxing:
I maybe bias as its one of only three fights i ever bought a ticket to see !
One of the most savage fights we will ever see ....lets hope we never see another one with such a sad out come !:nonono:

Sugarj
07-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Most of my top five have already been mentioned but heres a few more:

Barrera vs Moralles 1 was pretty brutal.

Scott Harrison vs Wayne McCullough.

Tyson vs Biggs or vs Thomas.

Holyfield vs Bowe 1.

Jones vs Brannon.

mickey malone
07-11-2009, 02:32 PM
I think that Nigel Benn v Gerald McClellan has got to be top of anyones list.....and if it ain't then you just haven't seen the fight!:boxing:
I maybe bias as its one of only three fights i ever bought a ticket to see !
One of the most savage fights we will ever see ....lets hope we never see another one with such a sad out come !:nonono:
Is that Henry Wharton on your avatar?
His slaying of Vincenzo Nardiello was fairly brutal..

GJC
07-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Kim v Mancini?

1SILVA
07-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Hey All

On the top of your head, Choose in your opinion the top 5 most Brutal fights you have seen. im not sure with my top 5 yet but Foreman Vs Lyle and Ward Vs Gatti are going to be on my list.

ROOSTER
Any 5 of these fights puts UFC to shame
Chacon-Limon IV
Barrera-McKinney
Ali-Frazier III
Vazquez-Marquez I-III
Pryor-Arguello I
Bowe-Golota II
Chacon-Edwards II
Hearns-Leonard II
Saad Muhammad-Lopez
Harding-Andries I-III
Thompson-Eubank I-III
Kelley-Gainer I
Foreman-Lyle
Holmes-Norton
Weaver-Dokes II
Holyfield-Qawi I
Norton-Young
Lopez-Ayala

mickey malone
07-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Just a few more while they're on my mind..

Foreman Stewart
Hamed Sanchez
Dempsey Willard
Mercer Morrison
Tyson Bruno 2
Lewis Ruddock
Brodie Chi
Paez Grove 2
DLH Chavez 2

Ziggy Stardust
07-11-2009, 07:13 PM
From relatively modern fights: Prince Charles Williams Vs. Merqui Sosa. From classic fights: Any of the Zale Vs. Graziano and Saddler Vs. Pepp series.

Poet

CiganoBoxer
07-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Is that Henry Wharton on your avatar?
His slaying of Vincenzo Nardiello was fairly brutal..yes mate thats wharton ...well spotted mate !

mickey malone
07-11-2009, 07:58 PM
yes mate thats wharton ...well spotted mate !
Beautiful Dogs!

As for Henry.. By pure coincidence, a friend of his was in my bar a couple of days ago, & we had a bit of a chin wag.. Wharton was a prime example of a Romany fighter.. Muck & bullets & straight down to business.. Had it not been for the unusual crop of talent at the time, he'd have won a title.. I classed him as a better fighter than Catley, Beyer, Woodhall or Veit.. All guys who won titles soon after his departure..
I'm surprised he never gets a mention in any of the 'best chin' or 'best fighters not to win a title' polls.. I forgot to ask his mate, but last time I heard, he'd bought a fish'n chip shop in Grimsby, I think.. It was called 'Henry's Plaice' Regards mm

Dynamite Kid
07-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Saad Muhammad-Lopez 2
Harding-Andries I-III
Ali Vs Frazier 3
Resto-Collins
Kim v Mancini?
Barrera vs Moralles 1

From the answers ive seen i think these are good picks.

I thought Steward vs Holyfield was a pretty damn tough fight for both guys.

Arce vs Hussy.

Ziggy Stardust
07-11-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm surprised no one else remembered the Williams - Sosa fight: It was the one the doctor stopped to fight without a winner because it was "too brutal to be allowed to continue".

Poet

Dynamite Kid
07-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Morales vs McCullough was not for the feint hearted either.

With Morales they just go on and on

Chi
Chavez
Pacquiao

talip bin osman
07-11-2009, 08:22 PM
i have a fairly limited knowledge in boxing history compared to some guys here...

but hagler vs mugabi looked fvckin brutal to me...

jorge barrios-rocky juarez too...

bojangles1987
07-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Was watching the Vazquez/Marquez trilogy today and the second fight was pretty bad. If Vasquez hadn't stopped Marquez in the 6th, there is a good chance he would have lost because of his cuts. Marquez didn't exactly look pretty either.

Dynamite Kid
07-11-2009, 08:26 PM
i have a fairly limited knowledge in boxing history compared to some guys here...

Holy ****! that cut on Barrios's mouth made me feel sick.

talip bin osman
07-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Holy ****! that cut on Barrios's mouth made me feel sick.

barrios' kisser looked like an undercooked muffin...

that fight was brutal...

Dynamite Kid
07-11-2009, 08:39 PM
barrios' kisser looked like an undercooked muffin...

that fight was brutal...

:lol1:

Yeah! Barrios is a tool though, he was winning the Fretias fight to and got ****ed up in the last few rounds, dumb ass cant stay out of trouble when he is infront:lol1:

talip bin osman
07-11-2009, 08:42 PM
:lol1:

Yeah! Barrios is a tool though, he was winning the Fretias fight to and got ****ed up in the last few rounds, dumb ass cant stay out of trouble when he is infront:lol1:

barrios is a gatti disciple...

a fight between him & katsidis would be fvckin sickening to watch...

Dynamite Kid
07-11-2009, 08:44 PM
barrios is a gatti disciple...

a fight between him & katsidis would be fvckin sickening to watch...

Yeah, although i fear Katsidis might have one brain cell more than Barrios :lol1:

mickey malone
07-11-2009, 11:56 PM

You're not wrong This was before Sky TV.. 1984 if I remember rightly.. Watched it live at the Hammersmith Odeon in London.. Never made work the next day.. It was brutal alright!... Never forget it, there were 2 MASSIVE black guys behind me, who'd obviously had a bet... Every time one screamed, HAAAAAGLEEEEER!!! the other one screamed THA BEEEEAAASSSSST!!!! Good Stuff!!

mickey malone
07-12-2009, 12:02 AM
I'm surprised no one else remembered the Williams - Sosa fight: It was the one the doctor stopped to fight without a winner because it was "too brutal to be allowed to continue".

Poet
Must admit, my honorable friend, That's one I must have missed, but if you're referring to 'Prince Charles' he had a few of these... Vs Czyz was another!

boxingbuff
07-20-2009, 03:55 PM
Heavy weights:

Dempsey-Jess Willard

Dempsey-Louis Firpo

Ali-Frazier-111

VINXGC
07-20-2009, 07:15 PM
very nice posts folks! most of them have been named here though.

only one thing, I guess "brutal" must have somehow something to do with "dirty," "stunning" or even "fatal" because many ones were hell of thrilling fights but still I would not refer them as "brutal," seems to me they are clearly sportive and then cannot be totally brutal:

ie. Hagler-mugabi, Jose Luis Ramirez-Chapo Rosario, Chavez-Taylor, and indeed paramount fights like Foreman-Lyle, Hagler-Hearns.

maybe some other brutal kind of KOs do apply for or appear "brutal" at first sight

ie. Monzon-Benvenuti 1, Paquiao-Hatton, all early Tysons fights,

and other brutal kind of KOs are definetively brutal beyond doubt:

ie. Hearns-Duran, Hearns-Cuevas, Cuevas-Campanino, and most of Gatti's, Tony Ayala's or Bobby Chacon's.

But then, back to the initial point, some others deserve instant "brutal" status:

- Benn-McClelland, Mancini-Kim, Vitaly-Lewis

also looking at Golota-Bowe serie theres some brutal material too, probably have also something to do with the dirty stuff of the polish.

sonnyboyx2
07-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Benn McClellan
Pintor Owen
Minter Jaccapuci
Eubank Watson 2
Griffith Paret

I know it makes ugly reading, but if I'm honest.. They're the worst I've ever seen...yes i agree with your choice they are all brutal fights, add Frazier v Quarry (2) Bowe v Golota (2) Fullmer v Paret, Holyfield v Cooper, Tom Collins v Leonzar Barber,

McGoorty
09-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Hey All

ROOSTER
I don't know about Top5 in order,,,, but I can name some of the most brutal fights I've ever seen film of....... I back them up with the journalistic works, which vouch for how brutal the beatings were,,.... here's 5 of the best... 1. Dempsey V Willard --- 2. Dempsey vs Firpo --------- 3. Les Darcy Vs Eddie McGoorty (1st fight, 4 knockdowns in the 15th). ------------------- 4. Firpo Vs Bill Brennan -------- 5. Freddie Steele Vs Vince Dundee..... ---------------------------------------------------------------- A few more to consider ... Basilio Vs T. DeMarco ----- Ike Williams Vs Beau Jack .... Moore Vs Durelle I

McGoorty
09-13-2011, 02:55 PM
very nice posts folks! most of them have been named here though.

only one thing, I guess "brutal" must have somehow something to do with "dirty," "stunning" or even "fatal" because many ones were hell of thrilling fights but still I would not refer them as "brutal," seems to me they are clearly sportive and then cannot be totally brutal:

ie. Hagler-mugabi, Jose Luis Ramirez-Chapo Rosario, Chavez-Taylor, and indeed paramount fights like Foreman-Lyle, Hagler-Hearns.

maybe some other brutal kind of KOs do apply for or appear "brutal" at first sight

ie. Monzon-Benvenuti 1, Paquiao-Hatton, all early Tysons fights,

and other brutal kind of KOs are definetively brutal beyond doubt:

ie. Hearns-Duran, Hearns-Cuevas, Cuevas-Campanino, and most of Gatti's, Tony Ayala's or Bobby Chacon's.

But then, back to the initial point, some others deserve instant "brutal" status:

- Benn-McClelland, Mancini-Kim, Vitaly-Lewis

also looking at Golota-Bowe serie theres some brutal material too, probably have also something to do with the dirty stuff of the polish.
Just count how many times Freddie Steele knocked down Vince Dundee... this fight is the definition of brutal...... <iframe width="420" height="345" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NUL-6M9wKwA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

McGoorty
09-13-2011, 03:07 PM
I don't know about Top5 in order,,,, but I can name some of the most brutal fights I've ever seen film of....... I back them up with the journalistic works, which vouch for how brutal the beatings were,,.... here's 5 of the best... 1. Dempsey V Willard --- 2. Dempsey vs Firpo --------- 3. Les Darcy Vs Eddie McGoorty (1st fight, 4 knockdowns in the 15th). ------------------- 4. Firpo Vs Bill Brennan -------- 5. Freddie Steele Vs Vince Dundee..... ---------------------------------------------------------------- A few more to consider ... Basilio Vs T. DeMarco ----- Ike Williams Vs Beau Jack .... Moore Vs Durelle I
One of the most BRUTAL K.O.'s of all time. <iframe width="420" height="345" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5uj7oBXwwMo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

McGoorty
09-13-2011, 03:14 PM
One of the most BRUTAL K.O.'s of all time. <iframe width="420" height="345" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5uj7oBXwwMo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I should put Moore V Durelle I up, but I'll let the GREAT A put them up if he wants to. Or why not visit his Channel..... surely one of the best boxing sites anywhere, and that fight is A MUST SEE..... if you have not seen it,.... you really have missed out.