View Full Version : John L. Sullivan

Kinetic Linking
07-10-2009, 06:28 PM
I know practically nothing about him but am curious. Post any good information if you have it. This is kind of directed at Great A.

Miburo
07-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Last London Prize Ring Rules HW champion (bareknuckle) and first Marquess of Queensbury. Purportedly the first sports celebrity in American history.

Southpaw16BF
07-10-2009, 06:34 PM
http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260817&highlight=john+sulivan

This thread I done about him should give you a better insight on him.

Southpaw16BF
07-10-2009, 06:45 PM
I don't mention it in my thread. But Sulivan would never give the great Peter Jackson a shot at his title due to the colour of his skin. That would of been a great fight, and one that I would of fancied Jackson to come out the winner of.

Jackson is a extremely underrated fighter. Due to the colour of his skin he was denied his chances like so many great black fighters were. A young James J Jeffries destroyed a washed up Jackson. Jackson also fought James J. Corbett aswell as many of the other great fighters of his era.

Picture Of Jackson...........
http://static.boxrec.com/wiki/1/13/Peter.jpg

Southpaw16BF
07-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Mini Bio On Jackson............
http://static.boxrec.com/wiki/7/74/Jacksonpeter.jpg
Racial prejudice was the only thing that kept Peter Jackson from his chance to win the world heavyweight crown. A world-class fighter, Jackson was not always granted the kind of competition he deserved. Born in the Virgin Islands, Jackson moved with his family to Australia when he was six years old. When his parents returned to the Caribbean, Jackson stayed in his new homeland. He became an excellent swimmer and diver and found work on ships at the age of fourteen. As a young man, Jackson used his fists to help quell a mutiny, and the incident received attention in the Australian press. Larry Foley, who had also handled Young Griffo, sought Jackson out and started him on his professional career.

Jackson won the Australian heavyweight title in 1886 with a knockout of Tom Leeds in the 30th round. Having difficulty securing bouts in Australia and eager to prove his worth, Jackson traveled to the United States in 1888. However, most top fighters shunned him for racial or competitive reasons. John L. Sullivan, the heavyweight champion and the most famous American boxer, stated, "I will not fight a Negro. I never have, and I never shall." Although Sullivan had actually faced a black opponent previously, he would not change his stance regarding Jackson.

Jackson knocked out George Godfrey, another black fighter, and several white opponents who agreed to fight him as he traveled across the country. He then journeyed to England where he beat Jem Smith in two rounds to claim the championship of the British Empire. Jackson dominated the fight and forced Smith to resort to wrestling to avoid a knockout.

Back in the U.S., Jackson found an adequate foe in future heavyweight champion James J. Corbett. In 1891, at the California Athletic Club in San Francisco, the two battled to a 61-round draw. Jackson displayed great boxing ability, although some observers believed that the 30-year-old fighter's punches were not the incredibly powerful weapons they had once been. Corbett later stated in his autobiography that Jackson could have beaten any heavyweight Corbett ever saw. Over the next several years, Jackson fought when he could obtain a match, acted, and ran a boxing school in London. In 1898, an over-the-hill Jackson lost to future champion James J. Jeffries on a fourth-round knockout. Shortly thereafter, Jackson returned to Australia to fight the tuberculosis which ultimately killed him.

mickey malone
07-10-2009, 08:02 PM
John L was a ground worker that got pissed up & offered people out in pubs.. A hardy man, but not to be taken seriously as a world champion boxer

Can recal in fairly recent years, the ex South African contender, Pierre Coetze kind'a copied his appearence with the short back'n sides, slug under the nose jobby...

Spartacus Sully
07-10-2009, 08:15 PM
75 rounds against kilrain london ring rules

knock down is end of round 30 seconds to get up then 8 seconds to get to scratch (a line drawn in the middle of the ring)

shaved his head because hair grabbing was legal. humphreys beat mendoza this way in one of their matches.

sure did like his drink