View Full Version : Final Fantasy 7

Tuggers1986
07-07-2009, 12:23 PM
I just bought it from Playstation store and i'm going for a quick shower then going to start it.

I hope this game's as good as i've heard.

oldgringo
07-07-2009, 12:30 PM
I just bought it from Playstation store and i'm going for a quick shower then going to start it.

I hope this game's as good as i've heard.

Get ready to pour a **** ton of your time into it.

I still own the original copy I bought when it came out. It really is the greatest game I have ever played. I don't think I could go back and play it now (since I have been through the game 4 times) but if it's your first time playing you will really like it I think.

SnoopySmurf
07-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I maxed everything out. Especially Knights of the Round materia. By the time I fought Seph, I killed him easily. Everyone was maxed out.

Tuggers1986
07-07-2009, 01:00 PM
looking forward to it then

S A M U R A I
07-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Greatest game I ever played. Takes a little while to get into if you're not used to how FF works (battle system, materia, etc.), but after a couple of days I was hooked. I put around 600 hours into this game (played it 3 times, and the last time I maxed everything out). I know a guy who has completed this game more than 50 times. :notworthy LOL

S A M U R A I
07-07-2009, 02:22 PM
I maxed everything out. Especially Knights of the Round materia. By the time I fought Seph, I killed him easily. Everyone was maxed out.

I found Sephiroth easy to beat even without KOTR materia. The hard fights are Diamond Weapon and Ruby weapon, but of course those battles are not necessary to complete the game, you only do them if you want to.

787_PR
07-07-2009, 03:03 PM
The greatest game ever played honestly. Anyone have a link of how to download it online? I saw my brother playing it like last year online he downloaded it and but there was one difference the graphics were much better and he actually had fingers it looked much better than the playstation graphics. I downloaded it for the playstation emulator but its so slow on the emulators and sometimes the emulator dont be working right. Anyone have a link to download?

Ether
07-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Whatever you do don't let the graphics stop you from being interested or continuing the game. Still to this day the greatest RPG i've ever played, amazing.

Double_L
07-07-2009, 05:10 PM
This game is overhyped, it would get brutally KO'd by a prime Final Fantasy 6, but alas FF6 is from another era and he's much to old nowadays to compete at the same level.

S A M U R A I
07-07-2009, 05:11 PM
The greatest game ever played honestly. Anyone have a link of how to download it online? I saw my brother playing it like last year online he downloaded it and but there was one difference the graphics were much better and he actually had fingers it looked much better than the playstation graphics. I downloaded it for the playstation emulator but its so slow on the emulators and sometimes the emulator dont be working right. Anyone have a link to download?

Your brother probably downloaded a modified version. There have been various modded versions which slightly change the characters' appearance in an attempt to make them more hi-res. I prefer the original. The characters are not supposed to look life-like and westernized, it's not the style of the game.

As for emulators, the game runs pretty much perfectly on ePSXe. Make sure you're using the correct plugins. You need a fairly powerful PC to be able to run it, too. I have no problem on an overclocked Intel Dual Core at 4.4GHz, nVidia 8800GT and 2GB of CellShock memory overclocked to 1200Mhz. If the spec of your PC is even half of this you should be able to run FFVII on ePSXe.

Nobody should post links to downloadable versions, it's not wise to do so on a public forum and you might get banned. I'm sure you can find the game on eBay pretty cheap.

S A M U R A I
07-07-2009, 05:13 PM
This game is overhyped, it would get brutally KO'd by a prime Final Fantasy 6, but alas FF6 is from another era and he's much to old nowadays to compete at the same level.

VI is good, but no way is it as good as VII! Unfortunately the series went downhill from VIII onwards, but I liked VIII a lot. Might be slightly underrated, in fact.

Double_L
07-07-2009, 06:12 PM
VI is good, but no way is it as good as VII! Unfortunately the series went downhill from VIII onwards, but I liked VIII a lot. Might be slightly underrated, in fact.
To each his own I guess. 7 is great, prolly my 2nd favorite in the series, but damn 6 was just epic for it's time. I would rank my top 5 as:

1. FF6
2. FF7
3. FF4
4. FF10
5. FF8

I really liked the story/characters in 8 a lot but the system just kinda ruined it for me, no specialization. All my characters ended up pretty much the same by the time the end of the game rolled around. I have yet to play FF12, I really need to get around to that...

Ether
07-07-2009, 08:16 PM
FF6 is great, infact i give you props on your knowledge Double L. But in my opinion it still doesn't stand with FF7.

FF9 to me was the weakest and easiest FF in the history of HISTORY! hated the ending, hated alot of the characters. It was very decent though, playable and had that old school feel to it.

Samurai, to me FF8 is my favorite. And far more difficult than FF7/FF9/FF10.

FF10 was and still is the BEST rpg for PS2.

FF12 i got halfway through and had no interest to ever ever play again, it had no character development. it was like, dungeon, dungeon, cave, cutscene, village, cave, cave, dungeon, cutscene/etc .. just straight up BS. the battle system on the other hand was good. NO likeable characters.

Kastrioti
07-07-2009, 11:39 PM
FF7 is the greatest IMO, never played the earliest ones, played from 4 and on, and IMO, 4 was pretty good, but it just lacked that special something for me, the story was good, like in most FF's, but the battle system I didn't like too much. 5 I loved, the whole thing with trying to get new classes and building them up, really liked that. 6 was also excellent, the best of the 2D ones,

8 was the one I didn't like the most in terms of battle system, the whole monster lvling with you system just seemed to kill a lot of the rpg elements for me, from what I can remember you wouldn't really get anything extra from leveling up, all the stat bonuses you would get from the summons, and no weapon shops etc, and you always ran out of magic, and had to waste time getting useful magic like cure by fighting monsters over and over. that was ANNOYING.

9 had the 2nd best battle system for me, i was really hooked to it, and the story was excellent, up until the end of the 2nd disc, when it just took a 180 degree turn and it just kinda threw the suspenseful story that was building up during the first 2 discs, in like 2 scenes.

oldgringo
07-08-2009, 12:32 AM
Tactics was an underrated installment.

S A M U R A I
07-08-2009, 12:53 AM
Tactics was an underrated installment.

I was just about to mention it. Tactics is probably my second fav FF game, I completely fell in love with it. The soundtrack is pretty good too, it used to sound great playing those little battles with the sound cranked up through a nice surround system. Awesome game!

S A M U R A I
07-08-2009, 12:59 AM
To each his own I guess. 7 is great, prolly my 2nd favorite in the series, but damn 6 was just epic for it's time. I would rank my top 5 as:

1. FF6
2. FF7
3. FF4
4. FF10
5. FF8

I really liked the story/characters in 8 a lot but the system just kinda ruined it for me, no specialization. All my characters ended up pretty much the same by the time the end of the game rolled around. I have yet to play FF12, I really need to get around to that...

I liked the system in FF8, it worked well for me. Second time I played through it I cheated, btw. It definitely made the game more fun. I don't mind cheating if I've already completed a game without cheating.

Agree on the story and characters of FF8. And the music was mostly superb.

FF6 is great, infact i give you props on your knowledge Double L. But in my opinion it still doesn't stand with FF7.

FF9 to me was the weakest and easiest FF in the history of HISTORY! hated the ending, hated alot of the characters. It was very decent though, playable and had that old school feel to it.

Samurai, to me FF8 is my favorite. And far more difficult than FF7/FF9/FF10.

FF10 was and still is the BEST rpg for PS2.

FF12 i got halfway through and had no interest to ever ever play again, it had no character development. it was like, dungeon, dungeon, cave, cutscene, village, cave, cave, dungeon, cutscene/etc .. just straight up BS. the battle system on the other hand was good. NO likeable characters.

I couldn't stand 10! That was the introduction of voice acting, and to be honest, a little part of me died when I first played that game. Final Fantasy is better without voices, IMO. Tidus especially sounded like an annoying litle brat. I never completed it, I gave up about 75% into the game.

11 & 12 I haven't played yet.

Ether
07-08-2009, 01:30 AM
And just so you all know, FF Tactics will be coming to the PS Store very soon.

komatoz
07-08-2009, 02:09 AM
lb 4 lb, ff8 for me:boxing:

Double_L
07-08-2009, 03:54 AM
I can't really say anything about FF7 that's already been said here. Incredibly addicting and the story was epic. I loved the Golden Saucer. Cloud was your prototypical quiet badass. Though IMO he didn't have the emotional depth that Squall in FF8 had.

IMO FF8 had the best main character. Squall is the man, and the first time I watched the intro movie I'm pretty sure I had to change my pants afterwards. Laguna sub-story was great. Awesome cast overall.

I HATED FF9, pretty much everything about it. Zidane can go stick his tail in a wood chipper for all I care. IMO they tried too hard with the nostalgia factor with the character classes. Did not care for any of the characters, and thus did not care about the story being driven by said characters.

FF10 at it's heart was goofy love story but somehow it immersed me completely. The superb battle system probably had a lot to do with it. Tidus was a little annoying but I tolerated him. I also didn't mind the linear nature of the game.

I actually played FF11 (the MMO) for a while, gameplay was extremely clunky and in general not very good but it was my first MMO so I ate it up. I was a Monk. Ended up selling my account for like $500 haha.

I really need to play FF12, if only for completions sake.

Spartacus Sully
07-08-2009, 05:33 AM
FF12 is really quite good spent about 340 hours on it so far and am still working on a few side quests.

Ff7 is the best though nothing compares to spending 3 weeks trying to catch and breed a golden chocobo. or trying to master every magic/command/summon materia 3 times so every one in your party can have a master command materia master summon materia and master magic materia. or how about mastering counter attack 15 times so you can pop 5 on each of your guys 100% chance to attack 5 times every time you get touched. Diamond and ruby weapons pfttt what about the emerald weapon that guy was a pain especially if you didnt have underwater materia.

F l i c k e r
07-08-2009, 05:46 AM
FF7 is gay as ****. It was a revolutionizing game dont get me wrong but people only blow that **** out of proportion because they believe "Japan" loves it. Which is true because they have angsty characters that resemble their visual kei bands and ****. Materia system is crap, story line was too broken, too many angsty characters.

FF8 is without a doubt the best Final Fantasy game because it actually made sense! Now they introduced that "real time" combat system in the latest installment. That **** will do wonders for the series, just like Star Ocean.

oldgringo
07-08-2009, 12:24 PM
I was just about to mention it. Tactics is probably my second fav FF game, I completely fell in love with it. The soundtrack is pretty good too, it used to sound great playing those little battles with the sound cranked up through a nice surround system. Awesome game!

I agree...and to think the first time I played it I almost dismissed it and never picked it up again!

Thank god I did.

I started a new game right before I was about to go on vacation (literally the day before) and I was coming off playing VII for a second time. I got to a part I didn't like early on and just turned it off.

Got back from vacay, had some downtime, so I started all over and give it another try. I was addicted once I got used to the feel of the game. Cool characters, lots to do, great soundtrack...just a lot of fun in general. Orlandu was too powerful, but I guess he was supposed to be.

Ryn0
07-08-2009, 08:29 PM
I bought it from the PSN store too. It's a great game no doubt, but not the greatest ever atleast not for me. I remember first playing Super Mario 64, Zelda: OOT and MM. Those games blew me away at the time.

The original Metal Gear Solid was incredible too.

USA4LIFE
07-08-2009, 08:32 PM
FF VIII was by far the ****ing WORST FF in the series, and 10 is way ****ing overrated. X-2 was better than X but apparently having an all female cast automatically makes it a bad game, most people who hate X-2 haven't even played it from start to finish. 12 was the biggest gaming disappointment of my life but got so much undeserved praise. It was just the online version of FF without online, why make your character move in combat if it adds nothing to the combat?

Final Fantasy VI (or 3 in the US) is second to VII, I may actually say that they are tied it was that good. The Story and the Characters are what made these two possibly the two greatest RPG's of all time and I'm all about RPG's, that's pretty much all I played till i got my PS2.

USA4LIFE
07-08-2009, 08:37 PM
FF7 is gay as ****. It was a revolutionizing game dont get me wrong but people only blow that **** out of proportion because they believe "Japan" loves it. Which is true because they have angsty characters that resemble their visual kei bands and ****. Materia system is crap, story line was too broken, too many angsty characters.

FF8 is without a doubt the best Final Fantasy game because it actually made sense! Now they introduced that "real time" combat system in the latest installment. That **** will do wonders for the series, just like Star Ocean.

Made sense? Sir I believe you need to watch these vids, i think you vastly misjudge that game. Worst FF ever. The drawing system is by far the most god awful thing ever invented for a game ever.

http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/category/final-fantasy-viii/page/2/

The videos are kind long, i recommend all those who have free time to watch these vids.

S A M U R A I
07-08-2009, 08:51 PM
FF12 is really quite good spent about 340 hours on it so far and am still working on a few side quests.

Ff7 is the best though nothing compares to spending 3 weeks trying to catch and breed a golden chocobo. or trying to master every magic/command/summon materia 3 times so every one in your party can have a master command materia master summon materia and master magic materia. or how about mastering counter attack 15 times so you can pop 5 on each of your guys 100% chance to attack 5 times every time you get touched. Diamond and ruby weapons pfttt what about the emerald weapon that guy was a pain especially if you didnt have underwater materia.

Emerald was what I meant. I was talking about FFVII, remember. Just a confusion of names.

S A M U R A I
07-08-2009, 08:59 PM
I agree...and to think the first time I played it I almost dismissed it and never picked it up again!

Thank god I did.

I started a new game right before I was about to go on vacation (literally the day before) and I was coming off playing VII for a second time. I got to a part I didn't like early on and just turned it off.

Got back from vacay, had some downtime, so I started all over and give it another try. I was addicted once I got used to the feel of the game. Cool characters, lots to do, great soundtrack...just a lot of fun in general. Orlandu was too powerful, but I guess he was supposed to be.

Oddly enough it's exactly the same with me. I finished FFVII then picked up Tactics. I was like "WTF is THIS?" and instantly gave up on it. Picked it up two days later and completely changed my mind. I guess it was a shock because I was expecting something like FFVII, which of course it's nothing like. Shame the follow-up's have never been as good as the original Tactics. I played a couple on Nintendo DS but I thought they were not so good.

oldgringo
07-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Tuggs, what say you?

xzworks
07-13-2009, 01:55 PM
neeeeeeeeeerds!!!!!!!!!!!!! ..lol...joke

-PedoBear-
07-13-2009, 02:10 PM
good thread.... question though,

how does it compare in awesomeness to the Ocarina of Time?

I know they arent exactly the same type of game... but they're supposed to be two of the greatest games ever and i know for sure i LOVED the ocarina of time!

USA4LIFE
07-13-2009, 02:58 PM
good thread.... question though,

how does it compare in awesomeness to the Ocarina of Time?

I know they arent exactly the same type of game... but they're supposed to be two of the greatest games ever and i know for sure i LOVED the ocarina of time!

Well you sort of answered your own question. They are too dissimilar to each other you can't compare them in terms of which is better. Zelda is action Adventure puzzle game, FF is an RPG, both are among the greatest in there respective genres.

▀ringer
07-13-2009, 04:25 PM
7 was my favorite out of them all.

I was also really hooked on Tactics, and III.

Recently I got into XII pretty hard, and I'm beginning to really like it.

I like the combat system in it much better than the combat in the previous versions ; I've always been more of a real time fan anyway.

Logged 50 hours thus far, and I've got all of my characters into the 50's, and already maxed out the license board with everybody.

Now I'm going for all the optional bosses and espers.

▀ringer
07-13-2009, 04:28 PM
Well you sort of answered your own question. They are too dissimilar to each other you can't compare them in terms of which is better. Zelda is action Adventure puzzle game, FF is an RPG, both are among the greatest in there respective genres.

I've never understood when people say the "Zelda" series are RPG's.

My sister's bf says that **** and it annoys me to no end.

Technically speaking any game in which you assume the role of a character could be considered an "RPG" ; because you're playing the role of the lead character.

That's his way of looking at it, but that's not how it works at all.

RPG's have a very destinctive look, feel, and style of gameplay.

BTW, thanks for reccomending Rogue Galaxy. I'm digging it.

Curry Storm
07-13-2009, 09:04 PM
Never thought I'd see a thread about FFVII on the boxing boards. :boxing:

FF7 is also my favorite game of all time. Metal Gear Solid is my 2nd favorite with FF8 being my 3rd. FF9 was good but not up to 7 and 8's standards. I thought FF6 was horrible compared to the other FFs; and I don't mean in terms of graphics as that's not a fair comparison, I just mean in terms of story telling and character development/interactions.

Hopefully, you'll end up loving FF7 but it's hard to get into a game that's over 10 years old. A lot of us played it when it originally came out so we have nostalgia on our side. I still haven't found a better overall story or villain than what FF7 has to offer.

USA4LIFE
07-13-2009, 10:21 PM

Technically speaking any game in which you assume the role of a character could be considered an "RPG" ; because you're playing the role of the lead character.

I agree with you 100% when it comes to people saying Zelda is an RPG, it also annoys me. I'm glad to hear your enjoying Rogue Galaxy, i should start playing it again, ever since I got my PS3 i have ignored some of the PS2 games I haven't beat yet. If only I could get my hands on a back words compatible PS3 but I've had no luck.

English_Lion
07-14-2009, 10:24 AM
ff7 is the greatest game of all time

Mr.Fantastic
07-14-2009, 08:54 PM

How is Rogue Galaxy?? I never had the time to play it.

joe strong
07-14-2009, 09:05 PM
the best game ever! I remember I had all fighters with x4 attack,counterattacks.I never even used magic to finish the game.I did 120000 hit points of damage every round of attack...I hear they are remaking it for playststion 3.is that true?

Mr.Fantastic
07-14-2009, 09:48 PM
the best game ever! I remember I had all fighters with x4 attack,counterattacks.I never even used magic to finish the game.I did 120000 hit points of damage every round of attack...I hear they are remaking it for playststion 3.is that true?

Not really, but it would be stupid of them not too. The FF7 video they released a while back was part of the psp game Crisis Core.

▀ringer
07-14-2009, 10:03 PM
How is Rogue Galaxy?? I never had the time to play it.

I'm really enjoying it.

I'm dividing up my free time between it, and FFXII at the moment, and I've most of my time logged on FFXII.

But I've got about 10 hours or so into Rogue Galaxy thus far and it's really an incredibly immersive experience.

You should definitely check it out if you love logging lots of times on RPG's.

A diamond in the rough, that one is.

Mr.Fantastic
07-14-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm really enjoying it.

I'm dividing up my free time between it, and FFXII at the moment, and I've most of my time logged on FFXII.

But I've got about 10 hours or so into Rogue Galaxy thus far and it's really an incredibly immersive experience.

You should definitely check it out if you love logging lots of times on RPG's.

A diamond in the rough, that one is.

Yea RPGs are my favorite, just finished playing Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 and Fallout 3 not too long ago. Really liked them, though the ending on the second one sucked(KOTOR2).

Thanks man, I'll check it out. Final Fantasy XII wasn't all what I expected but it was ok still. Not even close to the story in 7 or 10.

-Hyperion-
07-14-2009, 10:09 PM
zack from crisis core>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>emo boy cloud

▀ringer
07-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Yea RPGs are my favorite, just finished playing Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 and Fallout 3 not too long ago. Really liked them, though the ending on the second one sucked(KOTOR2).

Thanks man, I'll check it out. Final Fantasy XII wasn't all what I expected but it was ok still. Not even close to the story in 7 or 10.

I like it, a lot actually.

The storyline just sucks ****, it's one of those stories that tries to be all intricate with it's twists and turns, but doesn't pull it off, at all. Plus it's way too political.

The "Metal Gear" games are a prime example of how you can craft an amazingly rich story, and fill it with politics and plot twists and pull it off correctly.

FFXII just fails in the storyline dpeartment.

But I haven't been paying much attention to it anyway, I mostly spend my time hunting for marks, loot, leveling up, and on the license board.

Mr.Fantastic
07-14-2009, 10:15 PM
zack from crisis core>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>emo boy cloud

Zack was pretty bad ass but to me no one tops Cloud bro.

Mr.Fantastic
07-14-2009, 10:18 PM
I like it, a lot actually.

The storyline just sucks ****, it's one of those stories that tries to be all intricate with it's twists and turns, but doesn't pull it off, at all. Plus it's way too political.

The "Metal Gear" games are a prime example of how you can craft an amazingly rich story, and fill it with politics and plot twists and pull it off correctly.

FFXII just fails in the storyline dpeartment.

But I haven't been paying much attention to it anyway, I mostly spend my time hunting for marks, loot, leveling up, and on the license board.

Yea but it does have its pretty cool moments though. I really didn't get into the combat much either.

Metal Gear 3 had a confusing story at times......all this Patriots & la ley lu la ley or however you say it, got kinda cheesy. I thought Snake Eater had a better story than 2 & 3.

▀ringer
07-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Yea but it does have its pretty cool moments though. I really didn't get into the combat much either.

Metal Gear 3 had a confusing story at times......all this Patriots & la ley lu la ley or however you say it, got kinda cheesy. I thought Snake Eater had a better story than 2 & 3.

"Snake Eater" was 3, wasn't it?

Are you talking about 2's story? "Sons of Liberty"?

That one even went over my head at times.

LMAO@ La Ley Lu Li Lo.

Mr.Fantastic
07-14-2009, 10:32 PM
"Snake Eater" was 3, wasn't it?

Are you talking about 2's story? "Sons of Liberty"?

That one even went over my head at times.

LMAO@ La Ley Lu Li Lo.

Yea it was lol...my bad. The sniper fight with The End was so bad ass.

▀ringer
07-14-2009, 10:42 PM
Yea it was lol...my bad. The sniper fight with The End was so bad ass.

**** yeah, it was.

Easily one of my top 10 favorite boss battles of all time.

**** was intense.

At times it was like I was actually in a life or death situation with that old prick, and I didn't want to make any unnecessary movements. :lol1:

Mr.Fantastic
07-14-2009, 11:11 PM
**** yeah, it was.

Easily one of my top 10 favorite boss battles of all time.

**** was intense.

At times it was like I was actually in a life or death situation with that old prick, and I didn't want to make any unnecessary movements. :lol1:

Yea I think just about any gaming publication ranks it as one of the best boss fights of all time.

As for the thread.......what I would do to see a Final Fantasy 7 Remake. A 12 year old game has already sold like more than 200k on the Playstation network...just tells you people haven't forgotten about Final Fantasy 7.

F l i c k e r
07-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Final Fantasy 7 is a decent game. It isn't as great as everyone makes it out to be. Most people like it because they believe Japanese people like it(you know how that works) which is true but only because the Japanese like angsty little emo people. Besides that, people like it because it's probably the first RPG game that they played so it has a long lasting effect on them.

Personally the game is decent. It's good for the most part but it's not the best game of the series in my opinion. The story line is broken up into pieces and scrambled to eggs. The materia system also isn't the best thing(which is why the scrapped it).

So the game is a decent game, I like how you can meet or not meet people during game play and all that good stuff but Final Fantasy 8 still takes the cake. Nothing like a real deal game, where the story makes sense.

MetalVomit
07-14-2009, 11:48 PM
epic masterpiece. never finished it, plan to one of these winters.

-Hyperion-
07-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Zack was pretty bad ass but to me no one tops Cloud bro.

Aerith would rather **** Zack........:la:

but seriously, zack dies a badass death and hes not emo....win......

Liaison
07-15-2009, 01:07 AM
I still prefer 6(3) & 8 over it but back in 97, playing this, the first 3D FF game was something else. The only similar experience I've had with a game was with Ocarina of Time, again because it was the first 3D Zelda game.

The kids getting into video gaming will never experience anything that we did with 2D to 3D transition as the improvements from system to newer system are marginal...

Mr.Fantastic
07-15-2009, 01:23 AM
Aerith would rather **** Zack........:la:

but seriously, zack dies a badass death and hes not emo....win......

:rofl:.........yea zack did go out pretty bad ass, assuming you played & beat Crisis Core.

The short anime here doesn't show much on his death though....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DdGYaFDPlks&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DdGYaFDPlks&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

▀ringer
07-15-2009, 02:49 AM
I still prefer 6(3) & 8 over it but back in 97, playing this, the first 3D FF game was something else. The only similar experience I've had with a game was with Ocarina of Time, again because it was the first Zelda game.

The kids getting into video gaming will never experience anything that we did with 2D to 3D transition as the improvements from system to newer system are marginal...

Bolded for truth.

I still remember playing "Super Mario Brothers" back in the day, and then being completely blown away when "Super Mario World" came out on the SNES.

And I thought that was amazing.

What's really amazing is we've went from "Duck Hunt" to "GTA:IV" in my lifetime.

**** has been advancing at a rapid pace. Though not so much these days.

xzworks
07-15-2009, 04:34 AM
chrono trigger >>>> FF7

USA4LIFE
07-15-2009, 09:10 AM
Final Fantasy 8 was by far the worst RPG I have ever played. The characters were lame, the story was absolute ****, (no it didn't make sense), the dialogue was among the worst of any game I have played RPG or other, and the drawing system was the biggest waste of time. I would also like to thank 8 for being the downfall of the FF series, especially with the addition of the absolutely worst and useless card battle system that seemed to be in every FF since then.

USA4LIFE
07-15-2009, 09:23 AM
chrono trigger >>>> FF7

I don't mind this argument at all. Although I would have to respectfully disagree, however this is still one of the greatest games ever made.

boxasmash
07-15-2009, 09:43 AM
final fantasy 8 is my favourite, it's the only one i actually own myself too, i've seen/played on my sisters and she got nearly all of them.

deep1230
07-15-2009, 11:11 AM
Final Fantasy Vll was one of the best games out when it was released. The best thing about it was the fact that it took so long to get everything and complete. Ruby weapon being one of the harder characters to beat and finding Knights of the round table made the game more lasting because of all the side quests. Chocobo gathering and racing was the best, I felt like got my moneys worth.

Mr.Fantastic
07-15-2009, 06:53 PM
chrono trigger >>>> FF7

Chrono Trigger was a really really good game. I wouldn't put it over Final Fantasy though.

Oasis_Lad
07-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Paper Mario > FF7. Real Talk.

▀ringer
07-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Paper Mario > FF7. Real Talk.

"Paper Mario" was the ****.

For me, another old school RPG that is better than FFVII is "Super Mario RPG".

I still bust that ***** out at least once a year.

Oasis_Lad
07-15-2009, 07:18 PM
You know it, babes.

Mr.Fantastic
07-15-2009, 07:23 PM
"Paper Mario" was the ****.

For me, another old school RPG that is better than FFVII is "Super Mario RPG".

I still bust that ***** out at least once a year.

I haven't played that one in years (SMRPG), but I don't think it was better than FF7 when I did play it. My personal opinion.

Mass Effect was the **** too, but it was too damn short.

▀ringer
07-15-2009, 07:37 PM
I haven't played that one in years (SMRPG), but I don't think it was better than FF7 when I did play it. My personal opinion.

Mass Effect was the **** too, but it was too damn short.

FFVII beats it in terms of overall gameplay depth and story.

But SMRPG has that nostalgia factor to it for me that is unbeatable.

Like a lot of FFVII fans have that same nostalgia factor with it, being one of their first RPG's.

I have that with Chrono Trigger, SMRPG, and Final Fantasy III.

Also with Phantasy Star III (holy **** was that one good), and Illusion of Gaia (Those vampires can kiss my ass, I still hate them.).

▀ringer
07-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Oh ****, when it comes to RPG's how could I leave out my favorite of all time?

The Elder Scrolls III : Morrowind.

Oblivion seems awesome as well but I never got to play much of it.

But yeah, Morrowind is my all time favorite.

I spent more time with that game that I ever have any girlfriend in my life. And it was totally worth it. :lol1:

sterling
07-16-2009, 03:43 AM

I spent more time with that game that I ever have any girlfriend in my life. And it was totally worth it. :lol1:

Girlfriends always get in the way of gaming :D

▀ringer
07-16-2009, 03:46 AM
Girlfriends always get in the way of gaming :D

This is true. :lol1:

Not all of 'em though, some of them actually dig it, or at least certain games.

Lots of chicks I've known have hit me up to borrow one or two.

Mr.Fantastic
07-16-2009, 05:40 AM
FFVII beats it in terms of overall gameplay depth and story.

But SMRPG has that nostalgia factor to it for me that is unbeatable.

Like a lot of FFVII fans have that same nostalgia factor with it, being one of their first RPG's.

I have that with Chrono Trigger, SMRPG, and Final Fantasy III.

Also with Phantasy Star III (holy **** was that one good), and Illusion of Gaia (Those vampires can kiss my ass, I still hate them.).

Yea I see what you're saying bro.

Aww damn, how could I forget Phantasy Star 3. That game was pretty bad ass.
Are you into the Dragon Warrior/Quest games by any chance?? What about Shadow Hearts?? I loved the hell out of the Shadow Hearts games.

Never tried Illusion of Gaia unfortunately. What is it about??

▀ringer
07-16-2009, 05:44 AM
Yea I see what you're saying bro.

Aww damn, how could I forget Phantasy Star 3. That game was pretty bad ass.
Are you into the Dragon Warrior/Quest games by any chance?? What about Shadow Hearts?? I loved the hell out of the Shadow Hearts games.

Never tried Illusion of Gaia unfortunately. What is it about??

Yeah, "Phantasy Star III" was the cat's pajamas back in the day. Goddamn game cost like 200 bucks when it came out, just the game itself. :lol1:

You can get it on that Sega Genesis Collection on PS2 now for $15, and there's a few other Sega gems on there as well ; 2 other "Phantasy Star" games, all 3 "Golden Axe" games, and some others.

Never played Dragon Warriors.

Shadow Hearts...sounds familiar.

Is that the RPG on PS2 by Midway?

Another one that someone reccomended me that I've yet to play.

I swear man, when it comes to PS2 RPGs ; I'm swamped right now. :lol1:

Mr.Fantastic
07-16-2009, 05:45 AM

Funny thing I have that game on the regular Xbox but never got the chance to play it. I might though but I'm starting to play Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion right now again, I'm 150hrs into it and doing Shivering Isles. An HDTV brings justice to this beautiful game. Freaking love it. Bought all the add ons for it too ...even the horse pack lol.

Mr.Fantastic
07-16-2009, 05:48 AM
Yeah, "Phantasy Star III" was the cat's pajamas back in the day. Goddamn game cost like 200 bucks when it came out, just the game itself. :lol1:

You can get it on that Sega Genesis Collection on PS2 now for $15, and there's a few other Sega gems on there as well ; 2 other "Phantasy Star" games, all 3 "Golden Axe" games, and some others.

Never played Dragon Warriors.

Shadow Hearts...sounds familiar.

Is that the RPG on PS2 by Midway?

Another one that someone reccomended me that I've yet to play.

I swear man, when it comes to PS2 RPGs ; I'm swamped right now. :lol1:

Good thing it never cost me that much when I played it.

Nope...here is the Wiki to it..........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Hearts

If you never played Mass Effect, you should. Bad ass ****ing game in my opinion. Its a bit short on the main story line though.

▀ringer
07-16-2009, 05:58 AM
Yeah, that's the one I got reccomended a few months ago.

Guess I'll have to buy it, too.

I swear, my schedule is tied up on the PS2 at the moment from FFXII, to FFX, to Rogue Galaxy, to Dark Cloud 2, and now this. :lol1:

▀ringer
07-16-2009, 06:00 AM
Funny thing I have that game on the regular Xbox but never got the chance to play it. I might though but I'm starting to play Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion right now again, I'm 150hrs into it and doing Shivering Isles. An HDTV brings justice to this beautiful game. Freaking love it. Bought all the add ons for it too ...even the horse pack lol.

Yeah, I've played bits and pieces of it on the PC version, and I really liked what I saw.

I'm definitely picking up a 360 in the future so I can console that *****. (I suck at PC games, I can't use the keyboard to save my life.)

As long as you're not a graphics whore ; you should still enjoy playing through III.

I played through it again about a year and a half ago and I had forgotten a lot of the things in it, so I was pleasantly surprised and had a lot of fun with it.

Mr.Fantastic
07-16-2009, 06:10 AM
Yeah, I've played bits and pieces of it on the PC version, and I really liked what I saw.

I'm definitely picking up a 360 in the future so I can console that *****. (I suck at PC games, I can't use the keyboard to save my life.)

As long as you're not a graphics whore ; you should still enjoy playing through III.

I played through it again about a year and a half ago and I had forgotten a lot of the things in it, so I was pleasantly surprised and had a lot of fun with it.

Dude PC games are the ****!! So much fun.....well that's my preference. I had a hard time at first with the keyboard but got used to it after a while.

I'm not a graphics whore, I still play old games from time to time. I don't forget my videogame roots lol.

If you REALLY want to play an RPG, play World of Warcraft :rofl:. That game took so many hours of my life, it ain't even funny. I quit playing though.

▀ringer
07-16-2009, 06:24 AM
I've played Warcraft, on my sister's bf's computer ; he was addicted for a while.

Seems cool as hell but I didn't have the enormous amount of time to invest into it to really get it going.

-Hyperion-
07-16-2009, 11:43 AM
what is dragon quest all about, you rpg lovers????..............i ask because japs love that ****, also monster hunter......

Mr.Fantastic
07-16-2009, 03:39 PM
what is dragon quest all about, you rpg lovers????..............i ask because japs love that ****, also monster hunter......

Yea they make a really big deal in Japan when ever a Dragon Warrior game comes out.

To me the game is pretty good, just not to the Final Fantasy 7 or 10 standards. My opinion though.

Here's the Wiki to it.........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Warrior

Mr.Fantastic
07-16-2009, 03:41 PM
I've played Warcraft, on my sister's bf's computer ; he was addicted for a while.

Seems cool as hell but I didn't have the enormous amount of time to invest into it to really get it going.

Yea you do have to invest tons of time into it, especially when you max out your level and go raiding/pvping for gear.

USA4LIFE
07-16-2009, 08:22 PM

Monster Hunter is just a really fun game. It's exactly what the title says, your just a guy, you start of with crappy weapons but you do missions kill big monsters and make awesome weapons and armor. I guess the real draw of the game is just the size of monsters you fight, they are ****ing huge, check this vid out, scroll to 1min mark.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OBxyGMAc3Kw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OBxyGMAc3Kw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And that's not even the biggest monster you can fight.

▀ringer
07-17-2009, 01:55 AM
Monster Hunter is just a really fun game. It's exactly what the title says, your just a guy, you start of with crappy weapons but you do missions kill big monsters and make awesome weapons and armor. I guess the real draw of the game is just the size of monsters you fight, they are ****ing huge, check this vid out, scroll to 1min mark.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OBxyGMAc3Kw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OBxyGMAc3Kw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And that's not even the biggest monster you can fight.

Holy ****, that game looks badass.

Is it available in the U.S. or is it an import?

USA4LIFE
07-17-2009, 03:37 AM
Holy ****, that game looks badass.

Is it available in the U.S. or is it an import?

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is the newest installment, came out last week, if you got a PSP you can get it anywhere. I warn you, expect to play many many hours, it starts off slow because you have ****ty weapons and armor. Also most people hate the in game camera but once you master it you can use it to your favor, they put it in to make the game harder but I don't find it bothersome.

This game is begging for a Next Gen release, the monsters are huge and amazingly detailed on the PSP, they would look epic on either a PS3 or 360.

-Hyperion-
07-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is the newest installment, came out last week, if you got a PSP you can get it anywhere. I warn you, expect to play many many hours, it starts off slow because you have ****ty weapons and armor. Also most people hate the in game camera but once you master it you can use it to your favor, they put it in to make the game harder but I don't find it bothersome.

This game is begging for a Next Gen release, the monsters are huge and amazingly detailed on the PSP, they would look epic on either a PS3 or 360.

the next one is coming out on the wiii :nonono:

USA4LIFE
07-17-2009, 09:26 PM
the next one is coming out on the wiii :nonono:

Yeah, they said production cost for the ps3 was too high but I'm pretty sure one will come out for the PS3. Like I said, this game is begging, for the graphics alone, to be on a PS3.