View Full Version : Measurements Of Heavyweight Champions.

0Rooster4Life0
07-06-2009, 12:56 AM
I am Bored So I thought id put together some of the champs Measurements, these i know by heart, some i do not , so ill do the ones i know, if you want to add any feel free.

John L Sullivan

HEIGHT - 5ft 10 1/2in
WEIGHT - 196lb
REACH - 74in
CHEST (NOR) - 43in
CHEST (EXP) - 48in
FIST - 14in

-------------------------------------------------

James J Corbett

HEIGHT - 6ft 1in
WEIGHT - 178lb
REACH - 73in
CHEST (NOR) - 38in
CHEST (EXP) - 42in
FIST - 12 3/4in

Jack Johnson

HEIGHT - 6ft 1 1/4in
WEIGHT - 192lb
REACH - 74in
CHEST (NOR) - 37 1/2in
CHEST (EXP) - 42 3/4in
FIST - 14in

Jess Willard

HEIGHT - 6ft 6 1/4in
WEIGHT - 230lbs
REACH - 83in
CHEST (NOR) - 46in
CHEST (EXP) - 49 1/2in
FIST - 14in

Jack Dempsey

HEIGHT - 6ft 0 3/4in
WEIGHT - 187lb
REACH - 77in
CHEST (NOR) - 42in
CHEST (EXP) - 46in
FIST - 11 1/4in

Gene Tunney

HEIGHT - 6ft 0 1/2in
WEIGHT - 189 1/2lb
REACH - 77in
CHEST (NOR) - 42in
CHEST (EXP) - 45in
FIST - 11 1/4in

Max Schmeling

HEIGHT - 6ft 1in
WEIGHT - 188lb
REACH - 76in
CHEST (NOR) - 43in
CHEST (EXP) - 47in
FIST - 12in

Primo Carnera

HEIGHT - 6ft 5 3/4in
WEIGHT - 260 1/2lb
REACH - 85 1/2in
CHEST (NOR) - 48in
CHEST (EXP) - 54in
FIST - 14 3/4in

Max Baer

HEIGHT - 6ft 2 1/2in
WEIGHT - 209 1/2lb
REACH - 81in
CHEST (NOR) - 44in
CHEST (EXP) - 47 1/2in
FIST - 12in

Jimmy Braddock

HEIGHT - 6ft 2 1/2in
WEIGHT - 193 3/4lb
REACH - 75in
CHEST (NOR) - 41in
CHEST (EXP) - 44in
FIST - 11 1/2in

Joe Louis

HEIGHT - 6ft 1 1/2in
WEIGHT - 197 1/4lb
REACH - 76in
CHEST (NOR) - 42in
CHEST (EXP) - 45in
FIST - 11 3/4in

Ezzard Charles

HEIGHT - 6ft 0in
WEIGHT - 181 3/4lb
REACH - 74in
CHEST (NOR) - 39in
CHEST (EXP) - 42in
FIST 12in

Jersey Joe Walcott

HEIGHT - 6ft 0in
WEIGHT - 194lb
REACH - 74in
CHEST (NOR) - 40in
CHEST (EXP) - 43in
FIST 12in

Rocky Marciano

HEIGHT - 5ft 10 1/4in
WEIGHT - 184lb
REACH - 68in
CHEST (NOR) - 39in
CHEST (EXP) - 42in
FIST - 11 1/4in

Floyd Patterson

HEIGHT - 6ft 0in
WEIGHT - 182 3/4lb
REACH - 71in
CHEST (NOR) - 41in
CHEST (EXP) - 42in
FIST - 12 3/4in

Sonny Liston

HEIGHT - 6ft 1in
WEIGHT - 214lb
REACH - 84in
CHEST (NOR) - 44in
CHEST (EXP) - 46 1/2in
FIST 15in

Muhammad Ali

HEIGHT - 6ft 3in
WEIGHT - 210 1/2lb
REACH - 84in
CHEST (NOR) - 43in
CHEST (EXP) - 45 1/2in
FIST 12 1/2in

Joe Frazier

HEIGHT - 5ft 11 1/2in
WEIGHT - 205lb
REACH - 73 1/2in
CHEST (NOR) - 42in
CHEST (EXP) - 44in
FIST - 13in

George Foreman

HEIGHT - 6ft 3in
WEIGHT - 217 1/2lb
REACH - 82in
CHEST (NOR) - 42in
CHEST (EXP) - 44 1/2in
FIST - 12in

Ok Those Are The Ones i Know by Heart (Its scary but yes i know these by heart) , im sure i have messed a few up since its been awhile since i have wrote them down like this. if i have done somthing wrong let me know, and if you want to add anyone i missed go ahead.

SIDE MEASUREMENTS

(Only Mentioning Those I Have Wrote Down)

TALLEST - Jess Willard - 6ft 6 1/4in
SHORTEST - Rocky Marciano - 5ft 10 1/4in
HEAVYEST - Primo Carnera - 260 1/2lbs
LIGHTEST - James J Corbett - 178lb
LONGEST REACH - Primo Carnera - 85 1/2in
BIGGEST FIST - Sonny Liston - 15in

ROOSTER

STILL_DETOX
07-06-2009, 01:03 AM
heaviest and tallest is valuev and possibly longest reach

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0831/box_a_valuev_580.jpg

Benny Leonard
07-06-2009, 02:10 AM
http://chesley.ca/chesley/tbibhftape.html

JAB5239
07-06-2009, 06:21 AM
[B]SHORTEST - Rocky Marciano - 5ft 10 1/4in[COLOR="darkred"]ROOSTER

Tommy Burns was only about 5ft 8in and 170lbs. I don't think there has ever been a heavyweight champion smaller, but I could be wrong.

0Rooster4Life0
07-06-2009, 06:57 AM
Tommy Burns was only about 5ft 8in and 170lbs. I don't think there has ever been a heavyweight champion smaller, but I could be wrong.

i know =)

but those that i had listed are only ones that i mentioned in my list. sorry for the misunderstanding

The Iron Man
07-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Mike Tyson

HEIGHT - 5ft 11.5in
WEIGHT - 218lb
REACH - 71in
CHEST (NOR) - 43in
CHEST (EXP) - 45in
FIST- ??
NECK - 19 3/4in
BICEP - 16in

This is what i can remember. Hopefully its right

Southpaw Stinger
07-06-2009, 09:58 AM
Foreman was 6***8242; 3***8243; with some sources saying 6'4"

Looked taller than the 6'3 Ali, anyway

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt280/BoxingArchive/ForemanAli2.jpg

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/ali-foreman.jpg

Tommy was 5'7.
Impressive for a heavyweight champ.

Ziggy Stardust
07-06-2009, 12:54 PM
In an interesting note, Earnie Terrell is sometimes listed as having the longest reach for a Heavyweight Champion at 86 inches.....Box Rec has him listed at 82 inches.

Poet

#1Assassin
07-06-2009, 01:04 PM
heaviest and tallest is valuev and possibly longest reach

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0831/box_a_valuev_580.jpg

not to mention hairiest, ugliest and most likely worst. him or maskaev anyways.

STILL_DETOX
07-06-2009, 06:31 PM
not to mention hairiest, ugliest and most likely worst. Him or maskaev anyways.lol! .

dog1dog2
07-06-2009, 08:32 PM
http://chesley.ca/chesley/tbibhftape.html
Gotta' love how he claimed to have known these "by heart," when he clearly just plucked the more well known names and figures from that list (I had that list bookmarked, and it was the first thing I thought of as I started reading his "by heart" list)!
:boxing:

0Rooster4Life0
07-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Gotta' love how he claimed to have known these "by heart," when he clearly just plucked the more well known names and figures from that list (I had that list bookmarked, and it was the first thing I thought of as I started reading his "by heart" list)!
:boxing:

I didnt even know of this site... if i had known of it i wouldnt have even bothered sitting here for an hour typing mine out.

I know these by heart because i used to own a book with all the heavyweight champions measurements, i read that book so many times a few of them are in my head. but it doesnt matter i have nothing to prove, and to be honest with you i dont give a damn if you beleave me.

ROOSTER

dog1dog2
07-07-2009, 12:52 AM
I didnt even know of this site... if i had known of it i wouldnt have even bothered sitting here for an hour typing mine out.

I know these by heart because i used to own a book with all the heavyweight champions measurements, i read that book so many times a few of them are in my head. but it doesnt matter i have nothing to prove, and to be honest with you i dont give a damn if you beleave me.

ROOSTERApparently it does matter, or you wouldn't have attempted to further convince me ;)......It's really not that big of a deal though.....still a perfectly good thread, even though I still don't believe one iota that you had all of these figures memorized by heart....but really, that doesn't matter- I don't care if you typed them straight from a book or cut and pasted them.....it's still an interesting topic to ponder the evolution of the sizes of the HW Champs. Humans just keep getting bigger and bigger at an astonishing rate over the last 100-125 years, and the sizes of the HW champs throughout history are an interesting sort of microcosmic representation of that.

0Rooster4Life0
07-07-2009, 01:30 AM
Apparently it does matter, or you wouldn't have attempted to further convince me ;)......It's really not that big of a deal though.....still a perfectly good thread, even though I still don't believe one iota that you had all of these figures memorized by heart....but really, that doesn't matter- I don't care if you typed them straight from a book or cut and pasted them.....it's still an interesting topic to ponder the evolution of the sizes of the HW Champs. Humans just keep getting bigger and bigger at an astonishing rate over the last 100-125 years, and the sizes of the HW champs throughout history are an interesting sort of microcosmic representation of that.

That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, But you do not know me, Those who do know me know that i read stats on the HW alot, perhaps to much lol, To be honest im abit limited to these things when it comes to current fighters and lighter weights, But from John L Sullivan till the 70s i have alot of knowledge on, some of which is useless lol, But as i said thats your opinion , to judge me without knowing me,Perhaps in time you will get to know me. :boxing:

mickey malone
07-07-2009, 07:40 AM
That is your opinion and you are entitled to it, But you do not know me, Those who do know me know that i read stats on the HW alot, perhaps to much lol, To be honest im abit limited to these things when it comes to current fighters and lighter weights, But from John L Sullivan till the 70s i have alot of knowledge on, some of which is useless lol, But as i said thats your opinion , to judge me without knowing me,Perhaps in time you will get to know me. :boxing:
There's always a doubting Thomas..

One interesting point I wasn't aware of.. Foremans massive reach to small hands ratio.. It's a common fact that big fighters with small hands hit the hardest..

Just altering the subject slightly... While observing you're avatar, It appears Cotto's reach is about a foot longer than Pacs.. Maybe he's bitten off more than he can chew this time...

0Rooster4Life0
07-07-2009, 07:52 AM
There's always a doubting Thomas..

One interesting point I wasn't aware of.. Foremans massive reach to small hands ratio.. It's a common fact that big fighters with small hands hit the hardest..

Just altering the subject slightly... While observing you're avatar, It appears Cotto's reach is about a foot longer than Pacs.. Maybe he's bitten off more than he can chew this time...

Yes when i first saw that Measurement years ago i doubted it, But it was true, Although you say Bigger men with smaller fists hit harder, That cant be said for Sonny Liston, He had Freakish fists.

Yes i noticed that on my AV too, but keep in mind that isnt a real picture, so Cotto scale might be abit off.

By the way I am behind you all the way with the Non Stop Boxing thread you made. You know what you are talking about, I respect that.

ROOSTER

mickey malone
07-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Yes when i first saw that Measurement years ago i doubted it, But it was true, Although you say Bigger men with smaller fists hit harder, That cant be said for Sonny Liston, He had Freakish fists.

Yes i noticed that on my AV too, but keep in mind that isnt a real picture, so Cotto scale might be abit off.

By the way I am behind you all the way with the Non Stop Boxing thread you made. You know what you are talking about, I respect that.

ROOSTER
Good, cos I quite like Pac.. The illusion resembles man vs boy..
Referring to Liston.. He did have some shovels, but he doesn't make my top 10 on the strength, that the only decent fighter he KO'd was Patterson, who wasn't noted for his chin..
Many thanks for your support on NBS.. I don't think anyone will ever make a huge difference, but there's great benefits in finding out who your friends are..
With Boxing History it's a lot easier, as there's only the one imbecile but according to my current observations, there isn't enough Slime to slip over on..

The Iron Man
07-07-2009, 01:01 PM

ROOSTER

I knew Tyson's measurement off by heart and a few measurements from the other heavies. So I'm pretty sure you could of remembered those as you seem like a knowledgeable poster. Your YouTube videos are pretty good as well, keep em coming.

TheGreatA
07-07-2009, 01:09 PM
I think the statistics vary a bit too often for me to completely rely on them.

Ali's reach was once measured something like 78 inches, usually it's around 80-81.

I do think that Liston's incredible 84 reach is about right, because he had huge hands, long arms and wide shoulders, despite his relatively short height. On film he seems to have quite a reach advantage over his opponents.

I also think it's quite odd that according to IBHOF Foreman's measurements vary a great deal from the 1970's to the 1990's. I know he had put on more than a few pounds and was older but it's as if he was a completely different person according to the statistics.

0Rooster4Life0
07-07-2009, 09:56 PM
I knew Tyson's measurement off by heart and a few measurements from the other heavies. So I'm pretty sure you could of remembered those as you seem like a knowledgeable poster. Your YouTube videos are pretty good as well, keep em coming.

Thank you for You support My Friend and your kind words, and i will continue to try to make the best videos i can make. Thanks Again Mate! :boxing:

ROOSTER

Larry Franks
07-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Mike Tyson

HEIGHT - 5ft 11.5in
WEIGHT - 218lb
REACH - 71in
CHEST (NOR) - 43in
CHEST (EXP) - 45in
FIST- ??
NECK - 19 3/4in
BICEP - 16in

This is what i can remember. Hopefully its right
I have done similar research regarding fist's size of boxers and I found Mike Tyson's fist measured 13".

them_apples
07-18-2011, 07:50 PM
I knew a ton of these from memory, it wouldn't be hard to do what he did. I believe him.

you messed up Ali's reach though, it's 80 not 84.

Foreman Prime I would say is

6'3 1/2 224 lbs, lean and mean. Thats when he busted Norton up.

In his comeback he's listed at 6'4 almost always, but he looked a wee bit shorter than Briggs. so imo still 6'3 1/2.

with that long ass 82 reach.

also for Accuracy, Tysons prime was probably around 216.

Mugwump
07-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Cynicism is killing this place. Seriously. If someone claims to know something for himself then unless there's overwhelming evidence to the contrary I see no good reason to suggest otherwise.

Besides, these statistics are interesting.