View Full Version : Boxing Strategies that work in FN4...

R.Winky Wright
07-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Considering this is a pretty in depth game i wanted to start posting some strategies of what I used to win. I'm not about the juice your fighter's stats to the max or cheap spamming of punches there are ways around that and it's just how to know how to play the game.

some small ones that are pretty obvious i think are jab beats haymaker...

I play like wink so I usually let people unload as I hold back blocking picking off shots, wait till thier stamina is low and then try to counter them...

I always try to end off combos with jabs when moving back...

I don't throw haymakers untill i know they are in KO mode...way easier to break threw the guard... and less opourtunities for my foe to counter...

The thing that I practice the most with is my defence moving blocking parry (which i'm still getting used to)

what do you guys got?

:boxing:

ACHlLLES
07-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Yeah, I think I win my fighters without the haymakers if R2 is the haymaker button. I never learned how to use them if that is the button. I'm good enough with just using jabs, movement, and my fighters special move with the x button. Unless the x button is the haymaker.. I keep winning awards online like 5 wins straight.

R.Winky Wright
07-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Yeah I find the jab in the game allot more important to the mechanics of the game... i have found fighting guys that don't use the jab are easy to stick with if things get one sided a bit... it's always a part of my offence and defence going back.

How effective is the weave in FN4 i have never really pulled it out in a match...

Kobe Bryant
07-04-2009, 01:44 PM
I base what I do off of my opponents tactics. If he's one of those guys that throws constantly I fight going backwards to frustrate them. Then I come in an catch them with haymakers.

But if you are fighting a guy who throws nothing but haymakers be careful. You have to come in behind the jab. The jab is quick enough to stop a haymaker in its track. So the key is the jab.

And also if you walk in protecting the head most guys usually throw haymakers down low. So I'll come in protected up top then drop my hands and cover the body. Some guys are good at mixing it up though so you might get caught.

R.Winky Wright
07-04-2009, 02:04 PM
I base what I do off of my opponents tactics. If he's one of those guys that throws constantly I fight going backwards to frustrate them. Then I come in an catch them with haymakers.

But if you are fighting a guy who throws nothing but haymakers be careful. You have to come in behind the jab. The jab is quick enough to stop a haymaker in its track. So the key is the jab.

And also if you walk in protecting the head most guys usually throw haymakers down low. So I'll come in protected up top then drop my hands and cover the body. Some guys are good at mixing it up though so you might get caught.

yeah that's wise make them adjust to you. How do you find dealing with spammers? guy that throw punches only to the body? allot oe people complain about 'em I just give em foot work and circle back and box em... i mix it up with a straight right to the head everyonce and awhile.

R.Winky Wright
07-04-2009, 02:05 PM
I found another tip for spammers pretty much said what i do...

It's very easy realy. DO NOT stand in front of spamers. Move away make them chase you. go their body as well. block their shots, and let them tire. I am yet to lose to a spammer, and I beat a dude ranked number 5.

$partacus
07-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Depends on what the other guy does, usually i'm backing off from spammers with them chasing me, i unload a 3-4 punch combo then put my guard up and back off, rinse and repeat. Simple but effective.

R.Winky Wright
07-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Depends on what the other guy does, usually i'm backing off from spammers with them chasing me, i unload a 3-4 punch combo then put my guard up and back off, rinse and repeat. Simple but effective.

yeah agree i don't find em to hard...

ACHlLLES
07-04-2009, 02:56 PM
I'm not even a fan of floyd mayweathers, but I've been playing this one custom character of floyds and I dominate opponents with my defense. Its alot funner than actually watching floyds fights on tv. Though the character portrayal of floyd is total bs, sincere I have a high workrate. That is the complete opposite of floyd in real life, with high punch output.

DIB42
07-06-2009, 12:26 PM
I spam body punches 24/7.... no just kidding, I had a guy who was tall and lanky, i would sit outside and box with him, but he had no power, i'd win alot of UDs, but as the competition got tougher he just wasn't working for me, so i created a shorter, stalkier dude, with lots of power and speed and with him, i bob and weave in, unload, and repeat, if i'm up against someone who counters well and doesn't throw a sh*t ton of punches i'm usually f*cked, but my technique there is to sit in the pocket and jab/straight head, hook to the body, to try to get them offensive and annoyed, then i bob and weave and spam (i guess thats what you'd call it, i call it very aggressive inside work) but against me, if you can counter, i can't spam you.

Mersey
07-06-2009, 02:28 PM
I find usually people have a certain punching pattern that that rarely change. I learn their pattern in the first few rounds, by the 4th I block most of their punches or weave out the way and counter their body. They usually have low stamina and health by round 8 so it's easy from then.

Also, I don't throw any hayemakers, then out of no where I throw a big left hook hayemaker, that usually catches them offguard.

Always go for accuracy rather than more punches too. I've had 21 fights and I think I've lost about 4 rounds in the whole time I've been playing.

Michael Hall
07-06-2009, 05:18 PM
I love using guys like James Toney, Sweetpea and Roy on FNF4. I love the technical side of boxing. I love when someone picks Tyson and starts button mashing. Toney's D is too slick for Iron Mike on that game.

I fire jabs, jab/right cross combos and I'll walk fighters into haymakers in the latter rounds after I've softened them up.

ИATAS
07-06-2009, 06:12 PM
I find usually people have a certain punching pattern that that rarely change. I learn their pattern in the first few rounds, by the 4th I block most of their punches or weave out the way and counter their body. They usually have low stamina and health by round 8 so it's easy from then.

Yep, I am AMAZED at how persistent some people are even after getting their asses kicked time & time again. I fought so many people that do the same exact **** over & over & over even though I continue to counter or beat them to the punch, etc.

My girlfriend watches me sometimes play and she'll be like, "why does that guy keep throwing the same punch? Is he stupid?" Yes my love, he's an idiot lol.

Always go for accuracy rather than more punches too. I've had 21 fights and I think I've lost about 4 rounds in the whole time I've been playing.

Yes, this & counters. Lots of people don't get it, they don't realize how important countering is and think they can just brawl and fight with no strategy.

Mersey
07-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Yep, I am AMAZED at how persistent some people are even after getting their asses kicked time & time again. I fought so many people that do the same exact **** over & over & over even though I continue to counter or beat them to the punch, etc.

lol

It's funny, these people mustn't have much of a brain. If something isn't working in the fight, and you are losing badly, would you do the same thing that is making you lose? I don't get it?

Some of them do the same body to head mix up. Over and over again. 3 punches to the body, 3 to the head, then back down to the body, then up to the head.

I was rubbish on FN3, I feel unstoppable on FN4 because everybody seems to spam.

Michael Hall
07-06-2009, 06:45 PM
I think the gamers that are using the same strategy over and over are similar to boxers that use the same gameplan all night long (see ricky hatton) regardless if it's workng or not.

ИATAS
07-06-2009, 07:21 PM
lol

It's funny, these people mustn't have much of a brain. If something isn't working in the fight, and you are losing badly, would you do the same thing that is making you lose? I don't get it?

Some of them do the same body to head mix up. Over and over again. 3 punches to the body, 3 to the head, then back down to the body, then up to the head.

I was rubbish on FN3, I feel unstoppable on FN4 because everybody seems to spam.

I think we've fought the same people. Last person I fought did exactly that, 3 punches to the head, 3 punches to the body, then back off and run a bit. lol

keepthemhandsup
07-06-2009, 08:12 PM
this guy i just fought had duran and threw like four punches to the head and a haymaker to the body......he was easy....i lost by TKO cause he manged to cut me.....but i was winning on score cards and precentage

keepthemhandsup
07-06-2009, 08:15 PM
and what the **** is up with those guys who run to the corner thinking ima fall for that trick....i anit stupid i'll wait the whole round till you start fighting like a man insted of a chump.

McAlister
07-07-2009, 02:53 AM
I'm not even a fan of floyd mayweathers, but I've been playing this one custom character of floyds and I dominate opponents with my defense. Its alot funner than actually watching floyds fights on tv. Though the character portrayal of floyd is total bs, sincere I have a high workrate. That is the complete opposite of floyd in real life, with high punch output.

i use mayweather as well...but i fight like the real mayweather, use my punches wisely, I even tie the guy up after landing a straight right..lol my opponant usually quits, then sends me a message complaining about my "BOXING"

lol guessin they want me to slug it out, i dont think so

F l i c k e r
07-07-2009, 05:32 AM
Counter and just counter and just counter. Lol, sounds odd but its really what I do.

Jab(if they allow me repeated jabs I take it.. got a 10 jab chain once) -> Wait aka Stand still -> Evade (body shots I block) -> Counter(anything open, favor the lead hook) -> Repeat.

Easy stun mode, easy cuts/swelling. Counters are like the biggest exploit of the game. It pauses for a split second, thats how I roll. Just like a prime RJJ.

Mersey
07-07-2009, 08:04 AM
I'll tell you what doesn't work lol

The people who throw straight right over and over and over and... over... and over.... again. Why do people even try this? All you do is bob, uppercut, weave, hook. The fights over.

ILLuminato
07-25-2009, 11:36 AM
My favorite thing to do is use my D to set up a counter, I start off countering to the body, once they start to block down there I'll counter with a overhand right or uppercut to the head and a haymaker left hook to da body.....Works at least 75% of the time.....usually I can come back with another right haymaker to the body too.

AndyShitHot
07-26-2009, 04:34 PM
I've only played once online and faced a Mike Tyson punch spammer, I was a downloaded version of Tyson Fury and I was doing well at first by keeping him at arms length but I think he must have cranked everything up to 99 cos he never ran out of gas, started getting to me after the 2nd round and he knocked me out in the middle rounds. I think I have got better since then and might give it another go. If anyone fancies giving me a fight and then giving me some feedback that would be appreciated. My PSN username is: AndyPepRock

R.Winky Wright
09-08-2009, 02:15 PM
So I stared fighting haggler with my created boxer. his main style is a sharpshooter and my best punch is the right hand... ok but i dunno what it is but I'm getting my ass kicked!

Haggler mainly counter punches the whole fight. I try to box he just wears me down and ko's me in the latter rounds.

If i try to counter him i have a way better opportunity for the KO and have knocked him down but he turns the tide by timing my punches with perfect block and before you know it... i'm ****ed!

What would you say a good strategy for haggler is?

CottoOverrated1
09-21-2009, 12:59 AM
my best friend is a spammer so I get a alot of practice. He wont stop unless I start hurting him which I usually do anyways. He weave and rolls just to do it. he doesnt do it for any reason other than to be like me. he has gotten good at timing my counters, but lately I just counter to the body and hit him up to every few times. works well. I am like a young james toney in that game. i am the only person I have seen that will get his opponents connect % at 40 something while mine is 70 or damn near close to 80. sometimes i go rounds without missing a body shot. I love sitting in the middle and fightin inside. I get hit but I will block and slip A LOT of your punches and get you tired.

Equilibrium
09-21-2009, 01:15 AM
I find that combination punching works great in the game, much better than it did in round 3 because the punches come out faster.

I usually start to the head and finish to the body, or start with the body and finish with an uppercut to the head.

Gojira
09-28-2009, 04:07 PM
here is my strategy:

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/8315859