View Full Version : Who Is Boxings Best Role-Model?

0Rooster4Life0
07-02-2009, 01:56 AM
If you had to choose one man to be the icon of our sport who would it be?

Personally i cant go past Joe Louis, He was a humble man and one of the greatest. But id like to hear other names and opinions.

mickey malone
07-02-2009, 02:47 AM

Personally i cant go past Joe Louis, He was a humble man and one of the greatest. But id like to hear other names and opinions.
Past: Louis & Ali.. Although Ali was controversal, he captivated the publics imagination..

Present: Wlad & Pac.. Are great ambasadors for the sport..

CCobra
07-02-2009, 02:50 AM
Louis was a breath of fresh air due to the previous 'black Heavyweight champion of the world' - Jack Johnson. Louis was an excellent ambassador and truly represented the humble man.

Currently I'd say that Shane Mosley was an excellent role model. He doesn't get the same attention that the likes of Mayweather, Pacquiao, Hatton and De La Hoya have received over the past couple of years but he is a man who will fight anyone, anytime and is a polite and well-spoken man. I just wish the general fan knew him more.

0Rooster4Life0
07-02-2009, 04:39 AM
Louis was a breath of fresh air due to the previous 'black Heavyweight champion of the world' - Jack Johnson. Louis was an excellent ambassador and truly represented the humble man.

Currently I'd say that Shane Mosley was an excellent role model. He doesn't get the same attention that the likes of Mayweather, Pacquiao, Hatton and De La Hoya have received over the past couple of years but he is a man who will fight anyone, anytime and is a polite and well-spoken man. I just wish the general fan knew him more.

I agree.

Mosley is a great guy, and a truely great fighter , We need more people like him in the spotlight.

Sugarj
07-02-2009, 06:19 AM
Role models and icons are very seldom the same thing. Icons like ALi, Tyson or even Louis have had drugs problems (not Ali), womanising problems, have not been good husbands to their wives.

As a perfect, clean living, hard working role model for youngsters everywhere Lennox Lewis takes some beating, the latter day George Foreman too. Gene Tunney is another good heavyweight example from the past.

Shane Mosley will have the illegal substance thing tainting his image (that said I dont believe he would have knowingly cheated).

Hardly an icon of the sport but ex Super Middleweight champ Ritchie Woodhall comes across as one of the nicest chaps you could ever meet who was hard working, lives a good clean life and is a family man.

gingeralbino
07-02-2009, 09:06 AM
out of all the present day fighters i'd say Pac, he's humble, fights pretty much anyone, is always in great shape, is a national hero, and is only in the headlines for the right reason. He's also great to watch, which gives him a big edge over Wlad and Vitali.

Sugarj
07-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Yea Pac is a good choice. Granted I gather he has had a few rumblings with Asian **** stars, one reportedly before facing Eric Moralles. But that aside he has some great role model like qualities.

mickey malone
07-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Role models and icons are very seldom the same thing. Icons like ALi, Tyson or even Louis have had drugs problems (not Ali), womanising problems, have not been good husbands to their wives.

As a perfect, clean living, hard working role model for youngsters everywhere Lennox Lewis takes some beating, the latter day George Foreman too. Gene Tunney is another good heavyweight example from the past.

Shane Mosley will have the illegal substance thing tainting his image (that said I dont believe he would have knowingly cheated).

Hardly an icon of the sport but ex Super Middleweight champ Ritchie Woodhall comes across as one of the nicest chaps you could ever meet who was hard working, lives a good clean life and is a family man.
Spot on with Ritchie.. I was gonna mention him myself, but didn't want all the ATG nuthuggers on my case.... Good match angler to... Tunney & Foreman are good calls also.

gingeralbino
07-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Yea Pac is a good choice. Granted I gather he has had a few rumblings with Asian **** stars, one reportedly before facing Eric Moralles. But that aside he has some great role model like qualities.

u say it like its a bad thing!

S.G.
07-02-2009, 12:10 PM
I'd say Foreman. The way he changed his image could be very inspirational for some no doubt

Cotto Rules
07-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Juan Diaz, Shane Mosley, George Foreman, the Klits, JMM, RJJ are all pretty polite, soft spoken fighters. Plus they're confident hard workers.

Cotto Rules
07-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Suprised no one has mentioned Alexis Arguello yet considering.

No, he comitted suicide.

Cotto Rules
07-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Rocky Marciano.

Never said anything bad about any of his opponents or anyone around him. Lived a clean life and always stood up for the little man(often being an underdog himself). Best discipline I've ever heard of, it's why he was unbeaten.
There are a lot of stories about him and I'd advice anyone to read books about him. Marciano the true class act of boxing.

LOL, i thought you were gonna say Naseem Hamed and Bernard Hopkins for other reasons:notworthy.

TheGreatA
07-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Archie Moore?

TredKiller
07-02-2009, 05:39 PM
id say hagler, or duran

hagler worked hard his whole life, no drugs, a great person.

duran had the same wife, never did drugs, loves people.

Kelly Robinson
07-02-2009, 09:31 PM
My man Sugar Ray Robinson.

I'm currently reading his autobiography. He did cheat on his wife but the man is just a man. He's not perfect.

I like the way New York Times reviewed this book.(Sugar Ray Robinson)

"The Sugar Ray Robinson story, like most true life fables, is often incredible. But it is, withal, a very human story-a story of poverty and riches, success and failure, pride and humility, good and bad."

WTF is a role model anyway? Sugar Ray was a gentleman and a warrior in the ring. He was a human being like you and I. :boxing:

He can be a boxing role model.

Emon723
07-03-2009, 05:18 AM
Kostya Tszyu is a good role model, doesnt trash talk nor say bad things against his opponents, Hatton had so many nice words to tell about what kostya has told him after their fight.

mickey malone
07-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Rocky Marciano.

Never said anything bad about any of his opponents or anyone around him. Lived a clean life and always stood up for the little man(often being an underdog himself). Best discipline I've ever heard of, it's why he was unbeaten.
There are a lot of stories about him and I'd advice anyone to read books about him. Marciano the true class act of boxing.
Will give you that Slime..

Credit where it's due.. He was a real Gent outta the ring..

mickey malone
07-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Kostya Tszyu is a good role model, doesnt trash talk nor say bad things against his opponents, Hatton had so many nice words to tell about what kostya has told him after their fight.
Another good call... Was almost in tears when he grabbed the mic after losing to Hatton.

mathed
07-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Timothy Bradley, Pacman, Thomaz Adamek, Chad Dawson, Joshua Clottey, Steve Cunningham, Nate Campbell, Juan Diaz, Evander Holyfield, JMM (besides the homo thing, which the majority of casual viewers don't even know about),
Wlad is a pretty classy guy too, Arreola for the Mexican American kids (besides the language), Kelly Pavlik

Sugarj
07-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Ha ha, a good thing for Pac (lucky chap!), a bad example for the youth of the world....not that Pac flaunted it!

Cheers Mickey on support for Ritchie Woodhall, obviously not an ATG but honestly one of the nicest guys in the sport.

GJC
07-03-2009, 09:17 AM

JAB5239
07-03-2009, 09:40 AM
[QUOTE=Sugarj;5613515]Role models and icons are very seldom the same thing. Icons like ALi, Tyson or even Louis have had drugs problems.

Barney Ross developed a heroin habit after being wounded in world war II and getting hooked on morphine to dull the pain. I don't think this makes him less a role model though, and probably more of one.

After his boxing career was over he joined the military and fought at Guadalcanal earning distinguished service medals for bravery and heroism.

After being discharged he hid his addiction for years until finally calling (a senator or governor? Can't remember) and voluntarily asking to go to a 6 month rehab. Drug rehabs back then weren't like they are now. They were lonely dank places.

Anyway....after he finished his stint in rehab he spoke to kids about the dangers of drugs and his own experiences. This may not sound like a big deal till you understand how taboo the subject was at the time and how much courage it took for a very public figure to openly discuss his shortcomings and pitfalls.

Barney Ross.....Gentleman, champion, war hero, drug addict, role model.

Squabbles94806
07-03-2009, 09:44 AM

Well, in my era i'd have to say BHOP. Why? cus he took a negative and turned it into a positive.

He used to run wild in the streets, got locked up and never went back. He stayed away from media controversy, never fcuked with hard core drugs, he's all about staying positive and has a good attitude, not really boastful or disrespectful (with the exception of the tito flag incident) i don't think he has any illegitimate children, he's over 40 and still boxing (sort of) plus he's a gentleman. At least that's what i think.

Either him or Sugar Shane Mosely...but i don't know too much about his background to make a clear distinction.

Squabbles94806
07-03-2009, 09:49 AM
When I talk about drug addiction I generally mean when boxers get addicted to drugs of their own wrongdoing or character weakness. Barney Ross's case is obviously much different.

Hopkins is a great role model in boxing terms. His life story is amazing, that said he does have a big mouth and is prone to saying the odd comment that is a bit too controversial 'I wont let a white man beat me', not a real role model comment.

Yeah, i picked BHOP too. But i think when he makes comments like that i think it comes from his social environment growing up. The streets of Philly? Well there's certainly tougher than the streets of SF. This is still America though, and for him to speak his mind like that is in a way commendable. How many people in America only wished they can say what they truly mean.

I'm still stickin with BHOP, cus im extrememly picky when it comes to labeling someone as a "role model"

Marciano is another candidate, but i don't know too much about his background. I would say Pacquiao, but no...i've heard stories about him.

The Surgeon
07-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Wlad Klitchko. Boring to watch but talented and a great guy who is bilingual, has a phd, gives to charitys and is an all round nice guy who shows respect.

talip bin osman
07-03-2009, 10:48 AM
wlad...

juan diaz...

dans
07-03-2009, 11:02 AM
It's a toss up between Ike Ibeabuchi and Zab Judah.

Benny Leonard
07-03-2009, 11:30 AM
As far as active fighters.....I would say the Klitschkos seem to be top notch.

billionaire
07-03-2009, 11:34 AM

jesus definitely not joe louis, he was dumb as hell.......thought he could go thru life being humble and where did it lead him?.......he gave away his money to the army and the government repaid him by giving him huge tax debts.......he tried to be a symbol for the country but they wouldnt even treat him fairly, he couldnt even step inside the white house....sad to say but he was a sucker....a role model isnt somebody who shuts up and is scared to stand up for himself....

1. ali never changed who he was when he got famous, that i respect....he could have easily folded to the pressure and joined the army to keep his championship belt but he didnt....no one has been successful under as much pressure as ali....

2. hopkins, loses his first fight and then becomes a legend.....has trained the right way and thats why hes successful at such an old age...

3. pacquiao fights for the pride of his country so he wont even get unmotivated because of money like mike tyson did....

Slimey Limey
07-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Rocky Marciano.

Kinetic Linking
07-03-2009, 11:59 AM
bernard hopkins. Totally committed to longterm improvement and it's payed off. No one has ever had a career like his, Ray Robinson is a close second but his weight ballooned after retirement and he got diabetes. Guarantee that doesn't happen to hopkins.

edit - I don't care what you do outside the ring, if you don't have long term success in it you're a bad example to young people.

Ziggy Stardust
07-03-2009, 12:35 PM

Classy gesture my friend! :hail:

No, he comitted suicide.

You're a pig. :killyou: :*******:

Poet

Sugarj
07-03-2009, 02:12 PM
When I talk about drug addiction I generally mean when boxers get addicted to drugs of their own wrongdoing or character weakness. Barney Ross's case is obviously much different.

Hopkins is a great role model in boxing terms. His life story is amazing, that said he does have a big mouth and is prone to saying the odd comment that is a bit too controversial 'I wont let a white man beat me', not a real role model comment.

Kinetic Linking
07-03-2009, 03:39 PM
True. To be honest though, I value honesty and genuineness way higher than kindness, generosity, politeness, respect, or especially political correctness. You don't want to encourage phoniness, and everyone is prone to saying things that are innappropriate to say the least.

In this category, I give mike tyson big points. He spoke his mind more freely than most and I give him points for it rather than take them away. George Foreman had a reputation for being a little phony, but he was his own man in a lot of ways and gets credit as well.

going back further, I also give jack johnson big points. He was his own man and did his own thing despite tremendous opposition. You might not like him, but jack johnson didn't pretend to be anyone else.

As for some counterexamples, Muhammad ali and Ray Robinson seemed to be largely full of ****. Rocky Marciano as well.

MANGLER
07-03-2009, 03:43 PM
All time, who knows. Ali was gr8 tho. Talked mad ****, but meant what he said and backed it up. Gave up his career and freedom for what he believed in. Made people proud to be his brother. Fought all comers into and even after his prime.

Right now, I'd say Pac. Never talks ****, fights everybody, always excitin, reps his country hard and gives back to em, willin to take crazy risks to show his gr8ness.

JAB5239
07-03-2009, 04:12 PM
[QUOTE=billionaire;5618309]jesus definitely not joe louis, he was dumb as hell.......thought he could go thru life being humble and where did it lead him?.......he gave away his money to the army and the government repaid him by giving him huge tax debts.......he tried to be a symbol for the country but they wouldnt even treat him fairly, he couldnt even step inside the white house....sad to say but he was a sucker....a role model isnt somebody who shuts up and is scared to stand up for himself....

You obviously know little of Louis or how how because of him Jackie Robinson was able to break baseballs color barrier. Don't confuse quiet and humble with fear.

GJC
07-03-2009, 05:24 PM
jesus definitely not joe louis, he was dumb as hell.......thought he could go thru life being humble and where did it lead him?.......he gave away his money to the army and the government repaid him by giving him huge tax debts.......he tried to be a symbol for the country but they wouldnt even treat him fairly, he couldnt even step inside the white house....sad to say but he was a sucker....a role model isnt somebody who shuts up and is scared to stand up for himself....

1. ali never changed who he was when he got famous, that i respect....he could have easily folded to the pressure and joined the army to keep his championship belt but he didnt....no one has been successful under as much pressure as ali....

Think it is difficult to judge a mans conduct 70 years later with today's values. More militant black people such as Ali maybe felt Louis didn't assert himself as a black man as much as he should but I think you have to remember the time he lived.
There had been a colour bar in the HW division and others and Louis fighting and overcoming that bar laid the foundations for Ali to maybe go to the next level. The fact that Louis was such an inspirational yet humble man had white people cheering for a black man in the ring against white fighters.
A character such as Ali in the 30's might well have become the Jack Johnson of his day and stopped a coloured fighter challenging for the HW championship for another 30 years.

GJC
07-03-2009, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE]
[/B]

You obviously know little of Louis or how how because of him Jackie Robinson was able to break baseballs color barrier. Don't confuse quiet and humble with fear.
Good post you have made a better point in few words to mine in several!

Ziggy Stardust
07-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Think it is difficult to judge a mans conduct 70 years later with today's values. More militant black people such as Ali maybe felt Louis didn't assert himself as a black man as much as he should but I think you have to remember the time he lived.
There had been a colour bar in the HW division and others and Louis fighting and overcoming that bar laid the foundations for Ali to maybe go to the next level. The fact that Louis was such an inspirational yet humble man had white people cheering for a black man in the ring against white fighters.
A character such as Ali in the 30's might well have become the Jack Johnson of his day and stopped a coloured fighter challenging for the HW championship for another 30 years.

The way Louis handled himself was classy: A trait found far too seldom these days. The in-your-face militantism (over many issues, not just race) that came into vogue in the 1960s may have appeal on some primitive emotional level but I find the classiness of Louis to be far more admirable and more in keeping with the gentility of a society that purports to civilized as opposed to the decent back into primitive barbarism that the 1960s represents.

Poet

winky44
07-03-2009, 05:42 PM
The way Louis handled himself was classy: A trait found far too seldom these days. The in-your-face militantism (over many issues, not just race) that came into vogue in the 1960s may have appeal on some primitive emotional level but I find the classiness of Louis to be far more admirable and more in keeping with the gentility of a society that purports to civilized as opposed to the decent back into primitive barbarism that the 1960s represents.

Poet

very interesting.......poet have you laced then gloves up man? out of interest

Ziggy Stardust
07-03-2009, 05:45 PM
very interesting.......poet have you laced then gloves up man? out of interest

I have sparred before, in my late teens to early 20s. Boxed competetively? No. My eyesight prevented me from doing anything more than sparring.

Poet

winky44
07-03-2009, 05:46 PM
I have sparred before, in my late teens to early 20s. Boxed competetively? No. My eyesight prevented me from doing anything more than sparring.

Poet

real, whats up with your eyes? lots of boxers were glasses

Ziggy Stardust
07-03-2009, 05:51 PM
real, whats up with your eyes? lots of boxers were glasses

I'm practically blind without glasses: Have been since Junior High. Take off the specs and I can't see what I'm punching at let alone seeing punches coming in.

Poet

TheGreatA
07-03-2009, 05:54 PM
I believe Joe Louis pressured golf clubs into breaking the so-called "colour barrier" and allowing black people to play.

He also gave chances to black challengers such as Jersey Joe Walcott and Ezzard Charles. Jack Johnson never did this.

He was not dumb. Coined more popular phrases than probably any other boxer including Muhammad Ali.

Every time someone says:

"He can run, but he can't hide."
"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die."
"I don't like money, actually, but it quiets my nerves."
"Everyone's got a plan until they get hit."
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."

they're quoting Joe Louis.

Louis was simply too generous and got into trouble for it.

winky44
07-03-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm practically blind without glasses: Have been since Junior High. Take off the specs and I can't see what I'm punching at let alone seeing punches coming in.

Poet

wow, coundt of you got laser and then laced the gloves up. harry greb boxed blind in one eye and still beat tunney.

TheGreatA
07-03-2009, 05:56 PM
wow, coundt of you got laser and then laced the gloves up. harry greb boxed blind in one eye and still beat tunney.

Harry Greb didn't have other options.

winky44
07-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Harry Greb didn't have other options.

Greb could of become a trainer. i can imagine poet would of made a good boxer for some reason, real student of the game. he should train fighters.

anyway, i have been told you box great a. have you laced them up???

Ziggy Stardust
07-03-2009, 06:00 PM

I don't recall lazer surgery being an available option back in the 1980s. Even had it been I wouldn't been able to afford it back then. Circa 1989 (the timeframe we're talking about here) I was a college student working part-time for $7 and hour and no insurance.

Poet

mickey malone
07-03-2009, 06:00 PM

Poet
We could also bring Schmelling into the equation..
Although often used as Hitlers puppet.. This had nothing to do with him as a man..
In later life Louis's health deteriorated & he would have become destitute, had it not been for the life long financial support given to him by his mutual friend & former foe..
Schmelling was indeed a great ambassador, for mankind as well as boxing..

Ziggy Stardust
07-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Although often used as Hitlers puppet.. This had nothing to do with him as a man..
In later life Louis's health deteriorated & he would have become destitute, had it not been for the life long financial support given to him by his mutual friend & former foe..

Absolutely agreed.

Poet

winky44
07-03-2009, 06:01 PM
I don't recall lazer surgery being an available option back in the 1980s. Even had it been I wouldn't been able to afford it back then. Circa 1989 (the timeframe we're talking about here) I was a college student working part-time for $7 and hour and no insurance.

Poet

ahhh shame that. boxing world may have missed out on a great who knows. ever thought about training fighters?

Ziggy Stardust
07-03-2009, 06:05 PM
ahhh shame that. boxing world may have missed out on a great who knows. ever thought about training fighters?

The thought had crossed my mind once or twice. Truth is though I don't think I'd have the patience to do it: My temperment is all wrong for that I think.

Poet

winky44
07-03-2009, 06:09 PM
The thought had crossed my mind once or twice. Truth is though I don't think I'd have the patience to do it: My temperment is all wrong for that I think.

Poet

yeah you got of have patince. and then there is factor, what do you say if your fighter who you are traning says have you ever laced them up, and then he says you dont know what am going through etc.which happens alot

some fighters like there trainers to have expreinced actually fighting in the ring. and you'd have a problem there, as you have never laced them up.

so its a tricky one....TBH man

Ziggy Stardust
07-03-2009, 06:15 PM
yeah you got of have patince. and then there is factor, what do you say if your fighter who you are traning says have you ever laced them up, and then he says you dont know what am going through etc.which happens alot

some fighters like there trainers to have expreinced actually fighting in the ring. and you'd have a problem there, as you have never laced them up.

so its a tricky one....TBH man

Yeah, and it's a big difference between sparring and swapping leather when it actually counts in the pros or amatuers.

Poet

winky44
07-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Yeah, and it's a big difference between sparring and swapping leather when it actually counts in the pros or amatuers.

Poet

agreed my friend. just been having a think, would you ever compete in white collar unlincesed boxing? you dont need medicals and most old men compete just for fun. just throw a pair of contact lenses in, as no doctors are at the events

its 3 rounds of action and you will be matched with someone similar to ya self.

it would be good to test ya self!

Ziggy Stardust
07-03-2009, 06:23 PM
agreed my friend. just been having a think, would you ever compete in white collar unlincesed boxing? you dont need medicals and most old men compete just for fun. just throw a pair of contact lenses in, as no doctors are at the events

its 3 rounds of action and you will be matched with someone similar to ya self.

it would be good to test ya self!

Something like that might actually be fun. I guess they don't mind seeing out-of-shape middle-aged dudes with a gut like myself lol.

Poet

winky44
07-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Something like that might actually be fun. I guess they don't mind seeing out-of-shape middle-aged dudes with a gut like myself lol.

Poet

lol dude! i asked the great A has he boxed, but he hasnt got back to me? u know y man? has he boxed, i got told he has!

Ziggy Stardust
07-03-2009, 06:31 PM
lol dude! i asked the great A has he boxed, but he hasnt got back to me? u know y man? has he boxed, i got told he has!

Dunno. I haven't heard one way or another. I know Them Apples boxes though.

Poet

winky44
07-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Dunno. I haven't heard one way or another. I know Them Apples boxes though.

Poet

no problem man. also been noticing you and slimey limey's really dislike one another. whats the beef between you'se two?

Slimey Limey
07-03-2009, 06:37 PM
I'm glad somebody brought up Louis' cowardly behavior. Not only is he an overrated boxer he is also overrated as a man. He wasn't faithful to his wives at all, and a true womanizer. Yeah lads, that's right, good ol' Joe was a cunt grabber like all of us. But barely anybody knows. I used to know all the details, but i'm sure Manmachine will fill me in on that as I have no doubt he'll read this post and respond like always.
He was used as a puppet. You might say he had "class" unlike Ali and Johnson, but atleast those men were brave, and stood up for what they believed in. They didn't let no punk racists tell them what to do, and use them like puppets, like they did to poor Louis and then later stabbed him in the back for it.

And for those of you ripping on Jack Johnson, if you could even process in your mind what kind of mental torture this man went through, you still wouldn't even begin to understand him. Put Louis in his position and they would have treated him no diffirent. You see, Louis was lucky to come AFTER Johnson, so the folks back then could see a diffirent kind of black champion.

Like it has been stated, Louis was a great man in his heart, but a true sucker as well.
Role model? No. If I was in his position I wouldn't be a coward like that.

Ziggy Stardust
07-03-2009, 06:39 PM
no problem man. also been noticing you and slimey limey's really dislike one another. whats the beef between you'se two?

Slimey Limey makes numerous hate posts where he just rips down Joe Louis and Ray Robinson and I've called him on it. He wants to build up Marciano at the expense of other greats. The really sad thing is Marciano's achievements speak for themselves: Other greats don't have to be ripped down to make Rocky look better.

Poet

Ziggy Stardust
07-03-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm glad somebody brought up Louis' cowardly behavior. Not only is he an overrated boxer he is also overrated as a man. He wasn't faithful to his wives at all, and a true womanizer. Yeah lads, that's right, good ol' Joe was a cunt grabber like all of us. But barely anybody knows. I used to know all the details, but i'm sure Manmachine will fill me in on that as I have no doubt he'll read this post and respond like always.
He was used as a puppet. You might say he had "class" unlike Ali and Johnson, but atleast those men were brave, and stood up for what they believed in. They didn't let no punk racists tell them what to do, and use them like puppets, like they did to poor Louis and then later stabbed him in the back for it.

And for those of you ripping on Jack Johnson, if you could even process in your mind what kind of mental torture this man went through, you still wouldn't even begin to understand him. Put Louis in his position and they would have treated him no diffirent. You see, Louis was lucky to come AFTER Johnson, so the folks back then could see a diffirent kind of black champion.

Like it has been stated, Louis was a great man in his heart, but a true sucker as well.

Go fvck yourself. You can take your hate posts over to NSB where they belong.

Poet

GJC
07-03-2009, 06:42 PM
I believe Joe Louis pressured golf clubs into breaking the so-called "colour barrier" and allowing black people to play.

Given the amount of alleged losses due to betting on golf matches he incurred he may have regretted that!

GJC
07-03-2009, 06:45 PM
You see, Louis was lucky to come AFTER Johnson, so the folks back then could see a diffirent kind of black champion.

As Ali was lucky to come after Louis and be ABLE to be a different kind of black champion.

I'll ignore the rest of your post on the grounds of complete disinterest and disdain

GJC
07-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Yes it is strange, I'm a huge Marciano fan but even I want him to keep it in proportion.
My grandson would be amazed at me playing down Marciano as I bore him senseless with him :)

GJC
07-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Truth is though I don't think I'd have the patience to do it: My temperment is all wrong for that I think.
Poet

Noooooooo :) :boxing:

Ziggy Stardust
07-03-2009, 06:54 PM
I'll ignore the rest of your post on the grounds of complete disinterest and disdain

I'll give him this: He chose his name well "Slimey". He's one of the most scuzzy troglodyte posters I've ever run into on Boxing Scene. I'd call him a scumbag if it wasn't so insulting to bags of scum everywhere. This douche has to be an embarresment to his fellow Brits.

Poet

Slimey Limey
07-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Go fvck yourself. You can take your hate posts over to NSB where they belong.

Poet

Hate? No. Truth? Yes. You know all about Louis. Tell us about his relationships with women, Poet.
After all, this thread is about role models and we wouldn't want to leave out any negative FACTS, do we now?

As Ali was lucky to come after Louis and be ABLE to be a different kind of black champion.

You misunderstood me. I said the reason even whites loved Louis was because he was the total opposite of what they hated before. Put the lad in Johnson's position and nobody would treat him any diffirent than they did Johnson.

You call yourself a Marciano fan? Get in there and bend over in the Louis crowd you fraud.

Slimey Limey
07-03-2009, 06:59 PM
I'll give him this: He chose his name well "Slimey". He's one of the most scuzzy troglodyte posters I've ever run into on Boxing Scene. I'd call him a scumbag if it wasn't so insulting to bags of scum everywhere. This douche has to be an embarresment to his fellow Brits.

Poet

Says the lad thats supposed to be a non-embarrasment to his fellow Americans.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ER0C3GGfPU&hl=nl&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8ER0C3GGfPU&hl=nl&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

GJC
07-03-2009, 07:05 PM
You call yourself a Marciano fan? Get in there and bend over in the Louis crowd you fraud.

Yes I do call myself a Marciano fan but a realistic one who admits when he got knocked down etc. Your posts alienate people against Rocky not for him in much the same way the Klit fans do their guys no service.
I thought Louis conducted himself well as a champion but I do not turn a blind eye to his womanising. That and for no other reason would I count him below Marciano as a role model. I would not say he was stupid with his money or generally and his perceived subservience I believe was a humble man being put in the spotlight.
In your sensible post when you listed Marciano's qualities you made a good and just case for him rightly being a role model. Its a pity you felt the need to denigrate another great champion in later posts.

Slimey Limey
07-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Yes I do call myself a Marciano fan but a realistic one who admits when he got knocked down etc. Your posts alienate people against Rocky not for him in much the same way the Klit fans do their guys no service.
I thought Louis conducted himself well as a champion but I do not turn a blind eye to his womanising. That and for no other reason would I count him below Marciano as a role model. I would not say he was stupid with his money or generally and his perceived subservience I believe was a humble man being put in the spotlight.
In your sensible post when you listed Marciano's qualities you made a good and just case for him rightly being a role model. Its a pity you felt the need to denigrate another great champion in later posts.

You call speaking the truth without any bias denigrating? You think womanising is being a great role model? Then why the fook is Joe Louis even in this thread? He doesn't belong here at all. A man affraid of speaking his mind, allowing himself to be a puppet, and not being true to the public. His whole image of being a perfect human being is just a big lie if you look at the facts.

I stand for balance, you should look at the amount of hate Marciano receives. Which retired/past fighter gets more hate than Marciano? Not even Tyson. So I'm here to remind morons that he was a great champion, fighter and man.

Basicely, posting facts and opinions for you people is dissrespectful, just because i'm not posting the facts and opinions you all would like to hear.

GJC
07-03-2009, 08:00 PM
I stand for balance, you should look at the amount of hate Marciano receives. Which retired/past fighter gets more hate than Marciano? Not even Tyson. So I'm here to remind morons that he was a great champion, fighter and man.

I agree Marciano gets a lot of unfair criticism and he was indeed a great champion, fighter and man. Criticising another fighter will not increase anyones opinion of Marciano though will it?
As for Louis womanising it would make me consider other fighters such as Marciano above Louis as a role model. But I would also pay credit to Louis for the dignified way he carried himself as a champion, I am not a fan of the Klitschko brothers but I acknowledge the dignified way they carry themselves as champions.
Louis was not a perfect human being, nor was Marciano nor are you nor am I so I choose not to judge others.
When looking at boxers I judge them by their fighting and by the manner in which the wear the crown so to speak, I have little interest in their private lives.

0Rooster4Life0
07-03-2009, 08:15 PM
I am a Big Marciano fan, As big as they get, Slimey you make some good points about Rocky at times, but then you ruin it with hating on Louis, Therefore people dont get to see your good points.

Rocky was a Great fighter and man, and gets hated on alot. But throwing hate back at others fighters is not the answer. Even if you are telling the truth.

People say Rocky is overated. i beleave that is bull**** to be honest, because there are as many people that underate Rocky as there are people who overate him.

Joe Louis made mistakes yes. But calling him a coward is totally wrong. The Man was a positive for our sport. He conducted himself well in the ring. Rocky Marciano respected the hell out of him. and Joe Louis Respected Rocky. I think you need to drop the hate comments, Make points but you dont need to bring down Joe Louis. Instead why not build a case for Rocky?

GJC
07-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Make points but you dont need to bring down Joe Louis. Instead why not build a case for Rocky?

Totally agree, it is creative to paint a picture any fool can put their foot through one.

Ziggy Stardust
07-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Totally agree, it is creative to paint a picture any fool can put their foot through one.

Ever notice that you never see me bad mouthing Marciano? I've critiqued him before, to demonstrate to certain parties that any fighter can be dissected and found wanting in some way. Even so I do not believe I have ever disparaged him. I refuse to let the venom of a prick like Slimey Limey poison the respect I have for Marciano.

Poet

GJC
07-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Ever notice you never that you never see me bad mouthing Marciano? I've critiqued him before, to demonstrate to certain parties that any fighter can be dissected and found wanting in some way. Even so I do not believe I have ever disparaged him. I refuse to let the venom of a prick like Slimey Limey poison the respect I have for Marciano.

Poet
No not seen you slag him off true. I think you should have respect for all fighters takes guts to climb between the ropes. As for degrees of respect or how you rate someone that is personal taste. Must say this fellow does Marciano little credit the route he goes. I'm pretty ambivalent about the Klit brothers, respect them but not my cup of tea, but where people are slagging off and re-writing history with fighters I respect I do find myself critisizing them more than I normally would.
Did read Tunney make the point if you don't like them don't watch them, certainly will be my tactics after that Chaguev fight.

Ziggy Stardust
07-03-2009, 09:04 PM
No not seen you slag him off true. I think you should have respect for all fighters takes guts to climb between the ropes. As for degrees of respect or how you rate someone that is personal taste. Must say this fellow does Marciano little credit the route he goes. I'm pretty ambivalent about the Klit brothers, respect them but not my cup of tea, but where people are slagging off and re-writing history with fighters I respect I do find myself critisizing them more than I normally would.
Did read Tunney make the point if you don't like them don't watch them, certainly will be my tactics after that Chaguev fight.

Wlad might actually be semi-watchable if it wasn't for the fact that he has one of the lowest punch outputs for any fighter I've ever seen. Intellectually I understand why he does it: No stamina so he has to pace the fight to a crawl to keep from gassing out. Intellectually understanding it doesn't make it any more watchable though.

Poet

RightCross94
07-03-2009, 09:36 PM

you are sitting on a computer chair, and you are calling one of the greatest boxers ever to step into the ring a coward.....

no need to read the rest of your post

mickey malone
07-03-2009, 10:07 PM
you are sitting on a computer chair, and you are calling one of the greatest boxers ever to step into the ring a coward.....

It beggars belief.. A 38 year old Louis was still brave enough to fight a 25 year old unbeaten Marciano.. It's like saying Rock was a coward for fighting an old man..
Maybe Slime once got rogered by a by some big homo, wearing a Joe Louis mask..

Ziggy Stardust
07-03-2009, 11:35 PM
It beggars belief.. A 38 year old Louis was still brave enough to fight a 25 year old unbeaten Marciano.. It's like saying Rock was a coward for fighting an old man..

You know, I thought of a way to send Slimey Limey completely bark raving mad: I'll start ten threads about Joe Louis and ten threads about Ray Robinson then ignore Slimey so he can't post in any of them.....:rofl:

Poet

winky44
07-03-2009, 11:39 PM
You know, I thought of a way to send Slimey Limey completely bark raving mad: I'll start ten threads about Joe Louis and ten threads about Ray Robinson then ignore Slimey so he can't post in any of them.....:rofl:

Poet

lol.............

mickey malone
07-04-2009, 06:43 AM

Poet
That's cruel lol

Could send him over the edge.. He already needs 2 viagra just to take a piss, & most of that ends up on his slippers....

RightCross94
07-04-2009, 06:47 AM

Poet

i might do that actually

Slimey Limey
07-04-2009, 07:38 AM
Ever notice that you never see me bad mouthing Marciano? I've critiqued him before, to demonstrate to certain parties that any fighter can be dissected and found wanting in some way. Even so I do not believe I have ever disparaged him. I refuse to let the venom of a prick like Slimey Limey poison the respect I have for Marciano.

Poet

So now you blatantly LIE about things, Poet?

.Oh? You mean like Marciano's biggest wins coming against Walcott, Charles, Louis, and Moore: Fighters all past it?

Most of you know Marciano was a slow, clusmsy, low-skilled fighter who ate punches and bled like Henry Cooper, but you have this Rocky love imprinted in you. I have yet to see a Marciano nuthugger admit a single flaw about the man.

Oh, you mean the way Marciano was dropped by Moore: A LIGHT-Heavyweight.

Hmmm. The fight was even on the cards at the time of the stoppage I believe. Please explain how that is "easy". Of course that also means a PRIME Marciano was made to look foolish by an old man.

Poet

Exposed yet again. You're making this a habit mate. Think before you post.

And you were the one to call him out on crapping on Marciano and made him ***** out and lower his tone.

Did I compare him to myself you moron? Did I say he didn't do or say things like I did? No, so read the post.
I'm comparing him to OTHER ROLE MODELS, because this thread is about ROLE MODELS. And compared to Ali and Johnson, he is a coward.

You didn't read my post either. Lots of Louis lads are illiterate I see.
He was a coward for allowing himself to be used as a puppet and not having the guts to speak out and show his true self, like Johnson and Ali did. It has nothing to do with his in ring accomplishments.

Slimey Limey
07-04-2009, 07:42 AM
I agree Marciano gets a lot of unfair criticism and he was indeed a great champion, fighter and man. Criticising another fighter will not increase anyones opinion of Marciano though will it?
As for Louis womanising it would make me consider other fighters such as Marciano above Louis as a role model. But I would also pay credit to Louis for the dignified way he carried himself as a champion, I am not a fan of the Klitschko brothers but I acknowledge the dignified way they carry themselves as champions.
Louis was not a perfect human being, nor was Marciano nor are you nor am I so I choose not to judge others.
When looking at boxers I judge them by their fighting and by the manner in which the wear the crown so to speak, I have little interest in their private lives.

I am a Big Marciano fan, As big as they get, Slimey you make some good points about Rocky at times, but then you ruin it with hating on Louis, Therefore people dont get to see your good points.

Rocky was a Great fighter and man, and gets hated on alot. But throwing hate back at others fighters is not the answer. Even if you are telling the truth.

People say Rocky is overated. i beleave that is bull**** to be honest, because there are as many people that underate Rocky as there are people who overate him.

Joe Louis made mistakes yes. But calling him a coward is totally wrong. The Man was a positive for our sport. He conducted himself well in the ring. Rocky Marciano respected the hell out of him. and Joe Louis Respected Rocky. I think you need to drop the hate comments, Make points but you dont need to bring down Joe Louis. Instead why not build a case for Rocky?

Again, you lads are only seeing what you want to see. You call posting facts about Louis that don't make him look like a God everyone here sees him as, insulting. Everything I say is either completely true or has some truth in it.

Why should he get a free pass? Just about everybody else receives negativity. mr Louis should be no diffirent.

JAB5239
07-04-2009, 07:47 AM

Great call!!

Ziggy Stardust
07-04-2009, 09:30 AM

Poet

So now you blatantly LIE about things, Poet?
Exposed yet again. You're making this a habit mate. Think before you post.

Apparently literacy isn't one of your strong suits either as you apparently missed the highlighted line.

Poet

mickey malone
07-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Slimey Limey = Harry Monk..

Will explain to those not familiar with '****ney Rhyming' slang....

mickey malone
07-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Great call!!
Justification... Regards MM

Ziggy Stardust
07-04-2009, 10:05 AM
Slimey Limey = Harry Monk..

Will explain to those not familiar with '****ney Rhyming' slang....

I'm actually kind of curious who Slimey Limey is an alt of. His account is listed as being since 2006 but his first post is in March of this year. That equals an alt account. I guess all it would take is knowing who was banned in March lol.

Poet

mickey malone
07-04-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm actually kind of curious who Slimey Limey is an alt of. His account is listed as being since 2006 but his first post is in March of this year. That equals an alt account. I guess all it would take is knowing who was banned in March lol.

Poet
Valid point... I wouldn't allow him in my ablusions..

GJC
07-04-2009, 10:41 AM
I'm comparing him to OTHER ROLE MODELS, because this thread is about ROLE MODELS. And compared to Ali and Johnson, he is a coward.

The only valid point you made in criticism of Louis as a role model was that he was a womaniser, which both Ali and Johnson were.

mickey malone
07-04-2009, 11:21 AM
The only valid point you made in criticism of Louis as a role model was that he was a womaniser, which both Ali and Johnson were.
Nothing wrong with that 'old boy'

I'm a bit of one myself.. Preference certainly out weighs the very thought of being a 'nine bob note' I'm not dissin Griffith, but they could'a been worse..

Ziggy Stardust
07-04-2009, 11:35 AM

Oh, and for the record, I ran the Ali Vs. Louis matchup again and like always the results are quite close:

Title Bout II

Muhammed Ali 51-45-4 with 37 stoppages
Joe Louis 45-51-4 with 32 stoppages

GJC
07-04-2009, 03:17 PM
Oh, and for the record, I ran the Ali Vs. Louis matchup again and like always the results are quite close:

Title Bout II

Muhammed Ali 51-45-4 with 37 stoppages
Joe Louis 45-51-4 with 32 stoppages
Boxing or womanising? :)
I'm kind of 6 to 6.5 out of ten for Ali on that particular one personally.
I've always had a vague idea that Marciano might have given Ali a bit more trouble than Louis but probably in the minority on that one. Well me and Slimey obviously :)
Would have been a nice fight to see though Ali v Louis.

billionaire
07-04-2009, 05:03 PM
haha joe louis did not open up boxing to black contenders like the jack johnson critics love to say......in fact joe louis did not fight a black fighter until jersey joe walcott in 1947....sounds like world war 2 was more responsible for ending segregation than quiet man joe louis, who chose put on boxing exhibitions in front of segregated crowds in the army....i highly doubt anyone wanted to see 2 blacks fight each other for the title before that....

joe louis seems like an ok guy but why does he get a pass on abandoning his family for weeks to see women and almost choking lena horne to death....sound like chris brown to anyone?

thats not a role model

Slimey Limey
07-04-2009, 05:57 PM
haha joe louis did not open up boxing to black contenders like the jack johnson critics love to say......in fact joe louis did not fight a black fighter until jersey joe walcott in 1947....sounds like world war 2 was more responsible for ending segregation than quiet man joe louis, who chose put on boxing exhibitions in front of segregated crowds in the army....i highly doubt anyone wanted to see 2 blacks fight each other for the title before that....

joe louis seems like an ok guy but why does he get a pass on abandoning his family for weeks to see women and almost choking lena horne to death....sound like chris brown to anyone?

thats not a role model

Oh there you go. THATS the sweet juicy stuff the Louis lovers don't want to hear:luvbed:
Keep it going lad.

cotto16
07-04-2009, 06:06 PM

thats not a role model

explain!!!!

Benny Leonard
07-04-2009, 06:27 PM

thats not a role model

Always a patriot, Louis donated his purse from the January 1942 Buddy Baer fight ($65,200) to the Naval Relief Fund. The purse from his fight with Abe Simon ($45,882) went to the Army Relief Fund. That year Louis enlisted as a private, earning $21 per month. Louis served with Jackie Robinson, who credited Louis with doing much for blacks in the then segregated army, including getting Robinson and other blacks entrance to officer training school. Louis served for almost four years in the special services, performing exhibition fights, and boosting morale. He retired as a sergeant with the Legion of Merit decoration.

http://apps.detnews.com/apps/history/index.php?id=52

It was also noted that when Jackie Robinson got in serious trouble during the War it was Joe Louis that called in a favor to help out Jackie and cleaned things up for him.

There was also an importance of Joe Louis pre-WWII and during.

There are even stories of him giving hope to those suffering during the Nazi era simply by beating Max (who wasn't a Nazi himself but was used for propaganda purposes).

TheGreatA
07-04-2009, 06:33 PM

Poet

Remember this?

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195982

It's the same guy. A certified troll.

:rofl: Your life revolves around this forum so much that getting banned is detrimental to your existence!! You're either a big ***** who was teachers pet at school, or such a loser that a username is your identity! Honestly you must still have your V if you worry about being banned for saying what you think.

Once again you both fail, as you are incapable of making an argument for the overrated bum-killer based on boxing. That is because the armchari bums always know less than the people who have actually been involved in the sport. I don't mean this in a bad way, but it is true. When you actually do something full time, you get a deeper understanding of the issues involved. Try it, you might like it (more than your welfare cheques).

It doesn't matter which examples you can come up with, there aren't any good enough to hide Louis' flaw. The fact that Louis, the so called greatest heavyweight, with the so called greatest title reign ever struggled so much with Conman speaks volumes about his bum of the month club title reign. You fail again, mate. Maybe it's time to do the unthinkable, and admit your lad actually had flaws as well. But to you circle jerkers he is literally perfect.

Slimey Limey
07-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Remember this?

I see you did your hours long homework on me. That's sweet.

THIS is coming from the guy who has several TheGreatA accounts, several Manmachine accounts as well as other alts such as Southpaw16. And if you want to deny this, then how are they so similar like you? After all mate, you're just mad that there are more people that agree with me such as the lad you posted here behind his back.

Stick to the thunderdome with that crap.

This thread is to expose Louis' perversities.

TheGreatA
07-04-2009, 07:04 PM

THIS is coming from the guy who has several TheGreatA accounts, several Manmachine accounts as well as other alts such as Southpaw16. And if you want to deny this, then how are they so similar like you? After all mate, you're just mad that there are more people that agree with me such as the lad you posted here behind his back.

I've only ever had one account on this site.

Perhaps you should now come back with another alt and start praising Louis or something.

joe strong
07-04-2009, 07:33 PM
the klitschko brothers(yes it hurts me but they do great things for less fortunate),pacman & tye fields...you ask why fields? He moved to Edmonton & works with troubled native youth(he's half native),he trains exceptionally hard & I'd go as far as saying he's in better shape than wlad.may not have the boxing talent but he runs marathons under 4 hours(guys 130lbs do that & he's 270) he played pro basketball all over Europe,then one day at 25 with no amateur experience took up boxing.he's not going to win any world titles but he is a perfect example of if you work hard good things happen.he's fought on hbo,versus & now has his own boxing promotion.the klits & tye fields are the best role models for the young boxers.

TheGreatA
07-04-2009, 08:12 PM
the klitschko brothers(yes it hurts me but they do great things for less fortunate),pacman & tye fields...you ask why fields? He moved to Edmonton & works with troubled native youth(he's half native),he trains exceptionally hard & I'd go as far as saying he's in better shape than wlad.may not have the boxing talent but he runs marathons under 4 hours(guys 130lbs do that & he's 270) he played pro basketball all over Europe,then one day at 25 with no amateur experience took up boxing.he's not going to win any world titles but he is a perfect example of if you work hard good things happen.he's fought on hbo,versus & now has his own boxing promotion.the klits & tye fields are the best role models for the young boxers.

Agreed, I've heard that Tye Fields is a really good guy. Unfortunately he is not that talented and started boxing late but he is making the most of it.

Slimey Limey
07-04-2009, 08:27 PM
I've only ever had one account on this site.

Perhaps you should now come back with another alt and start praising Louis or something.

If by that you mean you have around 5 alts, then yes you are right mate.

Maybe you should step up your stalking game, so that I won't notice it's your alt that's following me around every time. For Gods sake is it that hard not to talk like a robot?

Ziggy Stardust
07-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Remember this?

Ah yes! Good old Rafael Benitez who claimed he was a boxing trainer and then later JulioCesa(r)Chavez. What a hypocrite seein as how under Rafael Benitez he was squawking about what a worthles bum-beater Marciano was:

Marciano was overrated. If he fought Liston isntead of being a chicken he would have bean beaten to a pulp. He struggled against slow old men like Walcott and a washed up Charles. I reckon most top heavies from each era would have wiped the floor with him. Do u really think he could stand in there with Big Klitchko, Lewis, Holyfied or even Samuel Peter?LOL. Way too easy to hit. He was lucky that Italians loved boxing at the time, it was number one in sports and he had no competition.

Only idiots who have no fight dvd's (i have 1000+ 500vhs) and haven't seen much would rate 'the rock'. The best of his era were old men, and even then he was getting outboxed by the painfully slow Jersey Joe Walcott (equivalent to a journeyman like glen johnson)just by looking at footage one can see he wouldn't stand a chance aginst a Prime Roy Jones, the old Hopkins or even our Clinton Woods! Never mind any genuine heavyweight. He didn't lose coz he didn't fight anybody. Look at all the best, they lost coz they fought the best. He knew he had to retire early or get ko'd by the up and coming fighters! Smart guy but still rubbish.

I've seen every major boxing match that took place in the past 100 years and every Marciano title fight. Walcott was an old slow man and even then he had to hit the man when he was down because he was being outboxed. Marciano is overrated because he was the white hope in a segragated America where they believed they were evolutionarily superior. Marciano never beat anybody decent in their prime and was lucky he was in a dead era. The truth is he was overrated and would lose to many of todays light heavyweights including Calzaghe Hopkins and maybe even Tarver. People who know boxing know he is not a top ten heavyweight. Don't get upset, it is the truth.

LOL some Marciano advocates believe Joe Louis was not totally over the hill when Marciano fought him!!! He was pulled out of retirment and looked more washed up than the shores of Blackpool. Just because Rocky was crap and made a meal out of him and the other old men he fought doesn't mean they were not washed up. Also he did not fight everyone around at his time and retired early to avoid the likes of Sonny liston, Cleveland Williams etc. Even so, it may not be his fault but still exposed his weaknesses. He struggled with Walcott who was average, slow and ever so OLD. It took a dirty shot and there was never to be a rematch in segregated america that needed their hero so bad. He was so easy to hit it was a joke. Completely outboxed for many rouns. Marciano would lose to David Haye in about 2 rounds.

I think he is not even in the top 20 in the heavyweight division of all time. It pisses me off when people think he was in the top 5 or even the best! ROFL. Why does he always pop up on p4p lists? He was absolutely ****!

If by that you mean you have around 5 alts, then yes you are right mate.

Maybe you should step up your stalking game, so that I won't notice it's your alt that's following me around every time. For Gods sake is it that hard not to talk like a robot?

Well well, doesn't that make him just look "special"? Can we say "busted"? Nice job GreatA!

Poet

billionaire
07-05-2009, 10:08 PM
explain!!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/08/04/sports/robert-lipsyte-the-manly-art-of-self-delusion.html?pagewanted=all

When Joe Louis asked Lena Horne, with whom he was then having a relationship, to keep score for him at a Hollywood golf benefit, the singer refused -- she was entertaining troops that day. Joe hit her with a left hook. Then he started to choke her. In his 1978 autobiography, written with Edna and Art Rust Jr., Louis said that the only thing that saved Lena's life was an aunt in the next room who threatened to call the police.

http://books.google.com/books?id=EcnyAHpBNDsC&pg=PA223&lpg=PA223&dq=joe+louis+lena+horne+choke&source=bl&ots=vAolvdulFl&sig=TPMOy62NPlrLHZ8pbkUgaRzYjCE&hl=en&ei=UVxRSomLFqeetweP-7CjBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

mickey malone
07-06-2009, 12:44 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/1991/08/04/sports/robert-lipsyte-the-manly-art-of-self-delusion.html?pagewanted=all

When Joe Louis asked Lena Horne, with whom he was then having a relationship, to keep score for him at a Hollywood golf benefit, the singer refused -- she was entertaining troops that day. Joe hit her with a left hook. Then he started to choke her. In his 1978 autobiography, written with Edna and Art Rust Jr., Louis said that the only thing that saved Lena's life was an aunt in the next room who threatened to call the police.

http://books.google.com/books?id=EcnyAHpBNDsC&pg=PA223&lpg=PA223&dq=joe+louis+lena+horne+choke&source=bl&ots=vAolvdulFl&sig=TPMOy62NPlrLHZ8pbkUgaRzYjCE&hl=en&ei=UVxRSomLFqeetweP-7CjBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1
Great info... Very few people know this... Most of the few that do, for some reason, are reluctant to discuss it... Cheers MM

Slimey Limey
07-06-2009, 10:41 AM

Oh boy THERE we go lads! This was the type of stuff I was talking about earlier. Funny how silent the Louis crowd has become here eh hahaha.

Tried to murder his woman for refusing to keep score with him. Wow.
This is going into my sig.

UncleSamPatriot
07-06-2009, 11:10 AM
The best role model that I would know is Rocky Marciano. He turned from smoking, overweight man to the best conditioned heavyweight champion of all time and one of the hardest hitting ever. He gave all for his training and boxing, stories of him training are legendary, he trained and trained even on Christmas morning, that kind of dedication is worth of admiration. Always attitude of never giving up.

mickey malone
07-06-2009, 01:55 PM
The best role model that I would know is Rocky Marciano. He turned from smoking, overweight man to the best conditioned heavyweight champion of all time and one of the hardest hitting ever. He gave all for his training and boxing, stories of him training are legendary, he trained and trained even on Christmas morning, that kind of dedication is worth of admiration. Always attitude of never giving up.
For sure... Rocky lived the game too much...
His back gave out in the end, which I feel may have shortened his resume as to make the top 5 of all time.. I rate him at no 9..
With regard to being a roll model, he was exceptional.. Probably on the front of every boys mag in America...

0Rooster4Life0
07-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Not only was Rocky the most Dedicated Heavyweight champion of all time, but he was full of respect, For the sport and for the fighters. if you are looking for a rolemodel to aspire to when it comes to boxing, You cant go wrong with Rocky Marciano.

The Iron Man
07-08-2009, 07:58 PM
James J. Braddock deserves a shout (if he hasnt already had one).

Kid McCoy
07-09-2009, 08:33 AM
Tommy Hearns, by all accounts a genuinely nice guy, always in shape, always came to fight, and always gracious in victory and defeat, never whining or making excuses.

He's summed up by a story retold in Four Kings. After busting his hand in the first round of the Hagler fight, Hearns refused hospital treatment that night, lest news of the injury detract from Hagler's victory.

GJC
07-09-2009, 11:18 AM
Tommy Hearns, by all accounts a genuinely nice guy, always in shape, always came to fight, and always gracious in victory and defeat, never whining or making excuses.

He's summed up by a story retold in Four Kings. After busting his hand in the first round of the Hagler fight, Hearns refused hospital treatment that night, lest news of the injury detract from Hagler's victory.
Yes good call for Hearns, remember that story now you reminded me from Four Kings. The other story that registered was Duran's waryness of Hearns, that suprised me. Would say fear but the word fear and Duran don't go together.

AllEyesOpen
07-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Alexis Arguello, R.I.P