View Full Version : Alexis Arguello appreciation thread.

BattlingNelson
07-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Sad news as nicaraguan former boxing champion Alexis Arguello died today.

Arguello was one of my personal favourites. Always a gentleman. Both inside and outside the ring.

Below is a profile from cyberboxingzone:

"Arguello was a devastating puncher and few could escape those paralyzing blows; A very talented fighter, he lost two of his first five fights and then lost only six contests over the next 18 years of actual fighting - and one of these was in his last fight during a comeback attempt following years of absence from the ring; During his career, he won the WBC Lightweight Championship of the World, the WBC Super Featherweight Championship of the World and the WBA Featherweight Championship of the World

Alexis defeated such men as Ruben Olivares, Jim Watt, Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini, Bobby Chacon, Ruben Castillo, Cornelius Boza-Edwards, Jose Luis Ramirez, Royal Kobayashi, Jose Torres, Alfredo Escalera, Rafael "Bazooka" Limon, Godfrey Stevens, Rey Tam, Roberto Elizondo, Andrew Ganigan, James "Bubba" Busceme, Kevin Rooney, Billy Costello, Kid Pascualito, Jose Legra, Art Hafey and Leonel Hernandez

Herb Goldman ranked Arguello as the #1 All-Time Featherweight; Alexis was inducted into the World Boxing Hall of Fame in 1991 and the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1992."

A nice highlight vid:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FW8ugZAIAT8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FW8ugZAIAT8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

RIP champ.

TheGreatA
07-01-2009, 10:59 AM
What? First time I've heard about it. Last time I read about him he was in good health, having overcame his drug problems, and involved in politics. This comes as a complete surprise to me, an unpleasant one.

May he rest in peace. A great boxer and a great human being.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/09XPcB1cM763Z/610x.jpg

D-MiZe
07-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Such an amazing fighter.

RIP

TheGreatA
07-01-2009, 11:04 AM
A great article about him which I just recently read:

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1120040/index.htm

TheGreatA
07-01-2009, 11:07 AM
I guess now, 15 years later, he has done what he contemplated his whole life. Tragic, but it's a decision he chose to make.

Kid McCoy
07-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Sad news, one of the all time greats.

RIP champ.

Dynamite Kid
07-01-2009, 11:11 AM
My favourite Arguello fights............

Ruben Olivares, Rafael "Bazooka" Limon , Alfredo Escalera 1, Jim Watt, Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini, Bobby Chacon.

Pryor fights of coarse.

The Olivares fight is a personal favourite of mine. Olivares was a very good fighter, he schooled Bobby Chacon in their first fight and then knocked him out, he also knocked Chacon out in the rematch to, but Chacon got his revenge in the 3rd fight, which i felt was a closer fight than others thought.

Ruben Castillo gave Salvador Sanchez all he could handle and took him the distance, i felt Sanchez won a very close competitive fight but he did not look good in the fight.

I seem to remember Castillo also giving Arguello trouble with his movement but Arguello managed to catch up with him, i dont think he had the success he was having against Sanchez though, its been a long time since i saw that fight though.

Vilomar Fernandez is one of the guys to have beaten Arguello but that was over 10 rounds and i strongly believe Arguello would of knocked Fernandez, if it had been a 15 round fight because he was coming on very strong at the end of the fight and Fernandez was clearly starting to fade.

Vilomar Fernandez also gave Duran a great fight to, but Duran did not struggle to pin him down like Arguello did. Arguello was on the verge of taking Fernandez out in the rematch, he was hammering him with body shots but he managed to make it to the final bell and lost by decision this time.

Miburo
07-01-2009, 11:39 AM
The only successor to the Joe Louis school of boxing, a true legend.

Silencers
07-01-2009, 11:55 AM
A great fighter an even greater person. Rest in peace champ. He will never be forgotten.

The Gunner
07-01-2009, 12:23 PM
A sad day for boxing, Alexis had everything that i like to see in my fighters.

RIP champ - gone but never forgoten. :(

oldgringo
07-01-2009, 12:36 PM
One of the best technicians the sport has seen....a true great. I'll always remember Arguello for his superb technique, wars with Escalera and his herculean efforts against Pryor....even if he came up a bit short in two fights. RIP. 57 years old is too young.

THE REED™
07-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Rest in peace brother!

THE REED™
07-01-2009, 12:38 PM
http://www.antekprizering.com/arguellosp0104.jpeg

oldgringo
07-01-2009, 12:41 PM
http://www.historiadelboxeo.com/articulos/pryor/tercera.jpg

One of the great photos in boxing history. This completely shows Arguello's excellent punching ability. Looks like an arrow.

1SILVA
07-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Alexis Arguello was not only an ATG, he was the classiest fighter ever to don a pair of gloves. The way he cared for Kevin Rooney after knocking him out with the single, most destructive right hand I have ever seen was a sight for sore eyes. His battles with Escalera were both brutal and bloody; he almost ripped Escalera's lip off in one fight and in the other knocked him out with a devastating left hook. I will sorely miss the man, but his fights live on tape and video.

JMM-PAC
07-01-2009, 01:37 PM
Very interesting article on Alexis
http://assets.espn.go.com/boxing/col...am/612133.html

Dynamite Kid
07-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Alexis Arguello was not only an ATG, he was the classiest fighter ever to don a pair of gloves. The way he cared for Kevin Rooney after knocking him out with the single, most destructive right hand I have ever seen was a sight for sore eyes. His battles with Escalera were both brutal and bloody; he almost ripped Escalera's lip off in one fight and in the other knocked him out with a devastating left hook. I will sorely miss the man, but his fights live on tape and video.

I felt the first Escalera fight was stopped a bit premature, great fights though.

keepthemhandsup
07-01-2009, 01:40 PM
i don't care what people say about those who kill themselves

its never alright when someone dies

RIP champ, you was one of my favorite fighters.

why is everyone freaking dying??????

Trenchant
07-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Alexis is one of my top favorites. His stamina and chin were legendary. And his overall strength for his thin build and power were awesome and of course his great heart. I have'nt posted much on this board but I used to post on HBO forums every day about 8 or 9 years ago. I have alot of Arguello fights, Pryor 1 and 2 ,Escalera 2, Olivares, Mancini. All on VHS though. The guy was an animal in the ring. If you fought Arguello you had to bring a lunch because you were in for the long haul and probably going to get knocked out.RIP:notworthy

Dynamite Kid
07-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Alexis is one of my top favorites. His stamina and chin were legendary. And his overall strength for his thin build and power were awesome and of course his great heart. I have'nt posted much on this board but I used to post on HBO forums every day about 8 or 9 years ago. I have alot of Arguello fights, Pryor 1 and 2 ,Escalera 2, Olivares, Mancini. All on VHS though. The guy was an animal in the ring. If you fought Arguello you had to bring a lunch because you were in for the long haul and probably going to get knocked out. RIP:notworthy

This is so true, even when he lost you had to go through hell to beat the guy. He was all over Fernandez when the bell went for that fight he lost, and even when he was well passed it there were rounds against Walker where he was hunting Scott Walker down.

Arguello had a tremendous chin.

Ziggy Stardust
07-01-2009, 02:41 PM
:beerchug: Cheers Alexis! You were a great fighter AND a great man: Truly classy as both. You'll be missed, RIP Champ.

Poet

Pharoahe
07-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Wow, this is a shock to me. July isn't getting any better than June was.

RIP to my favorite boxer of all time.

Brockton Lip
07-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Rest in Peace Alexis Arguello

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/Anthony_JKD/Alexis1.jpg

CCobra
07-01-2009, 04:44 PM
Legendary fighter. Terrific body puncher, a true warrior who gave us fight fans some memorable fights during his heyday. Will definitely go down as one of the greats of his era.

cptroyce
07-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Very sad news...Arquello v Pryor..didn't get any better then that!
RIP

Izrock
07-01-2009, 05:35 PM
An awesome fighter, and a true legend.

R.I.P. champ.

BattlingNelson
07-01-2009, 05:54 PM
http://www.historiadelboxeo.com/articulos/pryor/tercera.jpg

One of the great photos in boxing history. This completely shows Arguello's excellent punching ability. Looks like an arrow.
Arguello's right hand is right up there with the best in boxing history.

Izrock
07-01-2009, 07:07 PM

Co-sign!!

http://i41.tinypic.com/2dwdvti.jpg

Dan...
07-01-2009, 07:14 PM
RIP Alexis.

Devestated to hear the news.

Alexis is one of my favourites and I admire him a great deal. A true gentleman of boxing.

1SILVA
07-01-2009, 07:52 PM

Just ask Kevin Rooney. His left was equally devastating

LondonRingRules
07-02-2009, 06:06 AM
Sad news as nicaraguan former boxing champion Alexis Arguello died today.

Arguello was one of my personal favourites. Always a gentleman. Both inside and outside the ring.

** A black day in history for sure. I watched the Escalera fights last nite in tribute.

Alexis highlight reels are like watching Tyson highlight reels, strong men being knocked dead stupid on the spot and to think he was such a beautiful boxer and gentleman also, precious few can compare.

The first Pryor fight a clear frontrunner for the best top level fight ever seen, but the Billy Costello fight really showed the class of the man and the fighter after a two year layoff from the Pyror maulings. Costello was a young, ranked, very strong 31-1 jrwelt who by all claims of historical precedent should've had his way.

Instead, Alexis' classic 1-2 dropped him like a sack of spuds and fight waved off. Here's Alexis in the trenches doing the preparatory work: http://media.npr.org/news/images/2009/jul/01/arguello_541.jpg

Hope to see that fight up on the tube soon.

Dynamite Kid
07-02-2009, 06:49 AM
** A black day in history for sure. I watched the Escalera fights last nite in tribute.

Alexis highlight reels are like watching Tyson highlight reels, strong men being knocked dead stupid on the spot and to think he was such a beautiful boxer and gentleman also, precious few can compare.

The first Pryor fight a clear frontrunner for the best top level fight ever seen, but the Billy Costello fight really showed the class of the man and the fighter after a two year layoff from the Pyror maulings. Costello was a young, ranked, very strong 31-1 jrwelt who by all claims of historical precedent should've had his way.

Instead, Alexis' classic 1-2 dropped him like a sack of spuds and fight waved off. Here's Alexis in the trenches doing the preparatory work: http://media.npr.org/news/images/2009/jul/01/arguello_541.jpg

Hope to see that fight up on the tube soon.

Ive seen that fight, it was pin point right hand smack on the point of the jaw.

Great KO one if his best imo.

talip bin osman
07-02-2009, 09:10 AM
one of the most fundamental fighters ever...

what a big loss to the boxing community...

BattlingNelson
07-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Just ask Kevin Rooney. His left was equally devastating
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZZmdmjnr6D0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZZmdmjnr6D0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dynamite Kid
07-03-2009, 09:48 AM
A classy operator
Arguello was always a gentleman, recalls Jim Watt

Boxing has lost a true gentleman in the shape of Alexis Arguello this week.

Of course he was the man who took my world title off me back in 1981 but the first thing I will always remember about him was what a classy operator he was - in and out of the ring.

Back then trash-talking seemed to be the order of the day and in my previous two fights I'd had both Charlie Nash and Howard Davis Jr telling me and the world what they were going to do to me. All that was, and is stupid, rubbish, and I hated it.

Then over came Alexis from Nicaragua and the first thing he did was shake my hand, say how pleased he was to meet me and then pose for photos. The way he conducted himself then will always be my abiding memory of him.

We bumped into each other plenty of times over in Las Vegas, where we were both doing commentary work, and we always exchanged pleasantries. We didn't really get to know each other very well, but it was always a pleasure to see him. I saw him not long ago in Los Angeles for the Oscar de la Hoya-Stevie Forbes fight and he was just the same. We had a good chat and it was nice to catch up.

But it was not really that nice fighting him! He had just moved up from super-featherweight and was my mandatory challenger - back then you just fought the best around, simple as that - but he was still incredibly tall for a lightweight. How he had made featherweight, I'll never know!
Precise

That meant he was exceptionally good at long range. And even at distance he could put plenty of power into his shots. He was also a very precise puncher and rarely wasted them. He would wait until he was right in front of you to let them go and of course, was out of my range most of the night.

It made it an uphill struggle for me and from the halfway point I realised that my world title was going to be taken away from me - and there was little I could do about it.

Taking my WBC belt meant that Alexis became a world champion at three different weights which, unlike now, was almost unheard of. I think he was only the sixth man to do it and you have to bare in mind that back then there were only two titles to go for.

There were none of the back-door routes and various organisations open to today's boxers and I can't begin to think how many titles Arguello would've ended up with today!

He was a huge name in the sport and always will be, but he never really had the same crossover appeal as the likes of Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns or Marvin Hagler.

Even on Wednesday when I heard the news, I was listening to the radio reporting the sad death of Mollie Sugden and then wondered whether Alexis would get a mention. He didn't, but everyone in boxing knows what he meant to the sport.

Vacated

I do remember he was set up for a fight with Roberto Duran, but blew it by losing to Vilomar Fernandez. I don't think he would have beaten Duran, but even fighting him would've made Alexis a much bigger name.

But the fact is he never lost a world title in the ring. He always moved up and vacated or lost when his title wasn't on the line, yet he will probably be best remembered for those two light-welterweight title fights with Aaron Pryor.

I wouldn't like to comment on the bottle incident in the first, but it was a helluva fight. Alexis lost the rematch of course, but there was no shame in that because Pryor was a very good fighter with an incredible engine.

Alexis tried to make a comeback eight years later and that was really the start of his problems. They were no secret and I think I am right in saying he was taken to hospital after attempting to commit suicide a few years back.

But I will always remember him as a gentleman. As we all did then, he took on the best around and was one of the first to win world titles at three different weights - and did so with class.

It is another sad loss to the world of boxing..