View Full Version : What Fighter Past Or Present Would Have the Best Chance At Stopping Bernrad Hopkins?

winky44
06-28-2009, 06:44 PM
FROM 154-175. What Fighter Has The Best Chance At Stopping B-Hop?

▀ringer
06-28-2009, 11:12 PM
The fact that nobody has replied to this one yet is a pretty good testament to how good Hopkins really is, and how hard it would be to stop him.

D-MiZe
06-28-2009, 11:13 PM
I replied saying Hagler, but all the posts have been deleted?

▀ringer
06-28-2009, 11:26 PM
I replied saying Hagler, but all the posts have been deleted?

Hagler wouldn't be stopping Hopkins.

That's a 12-15 rounder if I ever saw one.

Jim Jeffries
06-28-2009, 11:44 PM
Bob Foster maybe? Connecting cleanly on Hopkins is like finding the Holy Grail though.

MKultra
06-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Present- Bad CHAD! The fact he is duckin dawson DONT you dare deny it shows how much confidence he has in beating dawson.

MANGLER
06-29-2009, 12:45 AM
Present- Bad CHAD! The fact he is duckin dawson DONT you dare deny it shows how much confidence he has in beating dawson.

He'd be live, but I don't think Dawson would beat, let alone KO Bhop.

JAB5239
06-29-2009, 12:51 AM
Bob Foster maybe? Connecting cleanly on Hopkins is like finding the Holy Grail though.

This is the first name to pop into my head too. I'd also give Ezzard Charles and Micheal Spinks a good shot at stopping Hopkins too. At 160 there are a few I would pick to beat him, but none by ko.

JAB5239
06-29-2009, 12:53 AM
He'd be live, but I don't think Dawson would beat, let alone KO Bhop.

I think Dawson would beat him NOW, but he isn't getting the stoppage. Hop is way to crafty for that to happen.

1SILVA
06-29-2009, 01:31 AM
This is the first name to pop into my head too. I'd also give Ezzard Charles and Micheal Spinks a good shot at stopping Hopkins too. At 160 there are a few I would pick to beat him, but none by ko.

At 160 the Robinson who stopped LaMotta and maybe Stanley Ketchel. At 175. Bob Foster and Ezzard Charles. Spinks would beat him, but it would be by decision.

MKultra
06-29-2009, 01:36 AM
Oh i didnt read it right, idt think dawson would stop him, but i think he would win a UD.

JAB5239
06-29-2009, 01:56 AM
At 160 the Robinson who stopped LaMotta and maybe Stanley Ketchel. At 175. Bob Foster and Ezzard Charles. Spinks would beat him, but it would be by decision.

I have to respectfully disagree my friend. My reasons are one, though Lamotta is woefully underrated in concern to his boxing skills, his defense still isn't near Nards. Two...while I am not discrediting Ray win, it was still against a weight drained LaMotta. Hopkins never had a problem making 160.

Ketchel certainly has a punchers chance, you just wouldn't catch me betting on it. ;)

1SILVA
06-29-2009, 02:03 AM
[B]

I have to respectfully disagree my friend. My reasons are one, though Lamotta is woefully underrated in concern to his boxing skills, his defense still isn't near Nards. Two...while I am not discrediting Ray win, it was still against a weight drained LaMotta. Hopkins never had a problem making 160.

Ketchel certainly has a punchers chance, you just wouldn't catch me betting on it. ;)

Excellent reason concerning B-Hop's defense. What about the Sugar Man who kayoed Fullmer at a time no one did? Fullmer was no defensive slouch who gave all the best Middles at the time hell

RightCross94
06-29-2009, 02:13 AM
Bob Foster??

JAB5239
06-29-2009, 02:18 AM
Excellent reason concerning B-Hop's defense. What about the Sugar Man who kayoed Fullmer at a time no one did? Fullmer was no defensive slouch who gave all the best Middles at the time hell

Its hard to argue against the perfect punch. WOULD he have landed that shot on Hop? I don't know. Im inclined to say Bernard wouldn't get caught with a bomb like that, but who knows. If he did get caught would the lights go out? Again, I don't know. But Id be lying if I said I thought he could just absorb it.

I don't think Ray would knock him out.....but never say never.

sonnyboyx2
06-29-2009, 06:00 AM
Hearns, Cerdan, Robinson, Fullmer, Toney, McCallum, Jackson, McClellan, Leonard along with many many 160lb fighters who never won the title but was contenders

mickey malone
06-29-2009, 06:22 AM
Stanley Ketchell..

Sugarj
06-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Sonny beat me to it, but you'd have to give Julian Jackson or Gerrald McClellan punchers chances, those guys had wrecking ball fists.

I wouldn't put money on either though, Hopkins is so wily, has such a great chin, defensive ability and paces himself so well its hard to see him being stopped.

bojangles1987
07-08-2009, 01:50 PM
I'd say Hearns, his right could KO anyone ever at that weight, but it would be really tough to land. Hagler might be able to do it through sheer pressure but would not fight that way against Hopkins.

Hopkins is a crafty, dirty fighter who made sure no one hit him flush.

Slimey Limey
07-08-2009, 02:02 PM
Nobody would ever KO him because Hopkins has the best combination of defense and granite chin I've ever seen.

Toney Loc
07-08-2009, 04:13 PM
I honestly don't see anyone STOPPING Hopkins. I see some fighters defeating him but not stopping him.

BennyST
07-14-2009, 11:32 AM
The only guy I really see having a genuine chance at stopping him at 160 would be Monzon. He was a freak, had the stamina, power, awkwardness, and brutal left and right hands to stop him late. Probably wouldn't happen but I would not be surprised. He's just one of those guys that fights so safety first and has a the chin to back up any big punch that it's hard to see him ever getting stopped. Nonetheless, if Mercado can put him down twice, then it's certainly possible he can be hurt and if the ultimate MW in Monzon had you hurt ever, it was all over.

Still, he's like Hagler, although Hagler was never even down, let alone hurt, whereas Hopkins has been legitimately hurt and down, so it is possible that he could be stopped by the right guy. Who is it though? I'd put money on Monzon if any.

mickey malone
07-14-2009, 02:38 PM
Maybe Moorer or Archie Moore at LH..

Wild Apache
07-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Hopkins to me,is beatable at 160,I think he was less strong at that weight than at 170!!Workrate would beat Hopkins at 160,I think Hagler and Lomatta could ko him!!

GJC
07-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Maybe Moorer or Archie Moore at LH..
plus Foster?

C.Y.
07-14-2009, 07:39 PM

Ducking Chad Dawson? the same guy that have life and death with Glen Johnson? the same guy that got knocked down by Adamek? Please Hopkins would school Dawson..

C.Y.
07-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Hearns, Cerdan, Robinson, Fullmer, Toney, McCallum, Jackson, McClellan, Leonard along with many many 160lb fighters who never won the title but was contenders

As much as i am a huge Marcel Cerdan fan... aahh nope he not koing or beating hopkins

Thread Stealer
07-15-2009, 01:40 AM
Hopkins to me,is beatable at 160,I think he was less strong at that weight than at 170!!Workrate would beat Hopkins at 160,I think Hagler and Lomatta could ko him!!

LaMotta knocked out roughly 35% of the guys he beat. What are the chances he will knock out a slippery, tough fighter like Hopkins?

Hopkins said a fight with Hagler would be a war, but that sounds a lot better than a tactical matchup. Them two are more likely to engage in good, tight tactical bout that goes the distance.

mickey malone
07-15-2009, 05:32 AM
plus Foster?
Someone had already mentioned him, but yes, he'd have just as good a chance.. I'd never say anyone would definately do the job though.. Hopkins is one of the most durable of all time, & would'a done well in any era..

El Jesus
07-15-2009, 10:20 AM
The only guy I really see having a genuine chance at stopping him at 160 would be Monzon. He was a freak, had the stamina, power, awkwardness, and brutal left and right hands to stop him late. Probably wouldn't happen but I would not be surprised. He's just one of those guys that fights so safety first and has a the chin to back up any big punch that it's hard to see him ever getting stopped. Nonetheless, if Mercado can put him down twice, then it's certainly possible he can be hurt and if the ultimate MW in Monzon had you hurt ever, it was all over.

Still, he's like Hagler, although Hagler was never even down, let alone hurt, whereas Hopkins has been legitimately hurt and down, so it is possible that he could be stopped by the right guy. Who is it though? I'd put money on Monzon if any.

in order for that to work you would have to argue that the hopkins monzon would be fighting would be the early one that didint fight trinidad yet, he had clearly progressed after he had been knocked down and went life and death with mercado.

Abstraction
07-15-2009, 10:26 AM
Personally don't see Hopkins being stopped.

Big punchers just can't get going against Hopkins.

Only person i see standa chance is Michael Spinks.

Bob Foster and Ezzard where just big hitters, whereas Spinks had speed and good technical skills.

Only chance of Hopkins being stopped is probably being overwhelmed by Spinks, not knocked down but overwhelmed. That said, i seriously doubt it will happen.

As for the Mercado bout, he was not really even hurt, just gassed, iirc the bout was at 10,000 feet in Ecuador!

The Rematch told the tale with Hopkins winning by stoppage

Ziggy Stardust
07-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Bob Foster and Ezzard where just big hitters

Ezzard Charles is just a big hitter?!? WTF did THAT come from?!? Lemme guess: You've never seen Charles fight.

Poet

Bushidō
08-17-2009, 01:59 AM
Calzaghe probably but he didn't so no one

sonnyboyx2
08-17-2009, 07:06 AM
James Toney would have put BHops `lights out`

PEPE213
08-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Tommy Hearns without a doubt in my mind. Hearns has a pretty long reach. And with tremendous power! Hopkins won't see 'em coming. And he'll knock him out.
I'm a big fan of Hopkins so, I'm being honest.

sonnyboyx2
08-18-2009, 12:57 AM
The fact that nobody has replied to this one yet is a pretty good testament to how good Hopkins really is, and how hard it would be to stop him.
quite a few fighters i feel would stop Hopkins..
Dwight Braxton
Michael Spinks
Saad Muhammad
John Conteh
James Toney
Thomas Hearns
Bob Foster
Carlos Monzon
Gene Fullmer
Ezzard Charles