View Full Version : Should Donald Curry be inducted into the IBHOF?

1SILVA
06-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Do you think Donald Curry should get inducted into the IBHOF?

Obama
06-20-2009, 11:50 AM
He's a top 10 Welterweight in the 80s, which had ATGs like Leonard, Hearns, Duran, and a hall of famer like Benitez. p4p I'd have to rate him #5 after those guys. Also competing for the 5 spot:

Simon Brown
Marlon Starling
Mark Breland
Lloyd Honeyghan

I'd say he'd probably make the HOF before any of them.

Silencers
06-21-2009, 02:42 AM
It's a tough question because at his best Donald Curry was a great fighter from a technical standpoint but unfortunately his best wasn't very long, in terms of accomplishments probably not even though unifying the welterweight division was quite impressive.

dporcer0
06-21-2009, 03:11 AM
Personally, if I had a say, Donald Curry would be in the IBHOF.

His resume and list of accomplishments doesn't nearly do his talent justice, but judging in terms of talent (athletic ability, technical prowess, skill-set), he was among the very best I've ever seen. I can't think of many, if any, fighters who were more textbook than Curry. His effectiveness wasn't limited to any one range. The guy could fight from the outside and pick opponents apart, or he could go to work on the inside. The second Starling fight was a truly brilliant in-fighting display. Very tight guard as well. Only faults were durability (which wasn't bad by any stretch), tendency to stay in front of his opponent to long when it was in his best interest to move, and mentality. Shame, because he could have been SO much more.

Yeah, Curry's a HOFer in my book. Might be biased, because I've always been a huge fan.

mickey malone
06-21-2009, 04:16 AM
Good question & tough to decide...

YES: Because, he cleaned up at Welterweight (pre Honeyghan was unbeaten) & unified the belts.. The KO of 'Milt the Stilt' was something else!
YES: Because, he had enough resolve to briefly win a title at L/M (WBC, I think)

NO: Because of the nature of his defeats.. Curry quit against Honeyghan & was mentally beaten after the 1st round.. His KO defeats to McCallum & Norris were devastating..
NO: Because, he was never a dominant force at L/M... I think he lost the title to the mediocre Rene Jaqueut.. I'll edit if I'm wrong..

HOWEVER: Curry was always entertaining to watch, & never in a dull fight.. He had exceptional H/speed & was a slick mover...

For me, it's a YES (just about)

1SILVA
06-22-2009, 08:10 PM
He's a top 10 Welterweight in the 80s, which had ATGs like Leonard, Hearns, Duran, and a hall of famer like Benitez. p4p I'd have to rate him #5 after those guys. Also competing for the 5 spot:

Simon Brown
Marlon Starling
Mark Breland
Lloyd Honeyghan

He beat Starling twice and lost to Honeyghan. Starling beat Breland, Brown and Honeyghan. I think that deserves a possible HOF mantion

American_Ninja
06-24-2009, 11:01 PM

Simon Brown
Marlon Starling
Mark Breland
Lloyd Honeyghan

No way, not even close. He's a long forgotten name.
In his 1st Big fight he was knocked out cold by a single left hook.
A flash in the pan? Maybe. A shooting star? Possibly.
A HOF'r...NO.
Yes he fought in the Duran, Leonard era. But never fought anyone like that.

Clegg
06-25-2009, 12:18 AM
I voted 'no'.

Stacking up his wins against his defeats, I feel that there are several other boxers yet to be inducted who deserve a place more than he does.

Obama
06-26-2009, 12:46 AM
A HOF'r...NO.

No way not even close what? Is he or is he not #5 WW in a golden age of Welterweights? How that doesn't get you into the HOF is beyond me.

JAB5239
06-26-2009, 12:53 AM
No way not even close what? Is he or is he not #5 WW in a golden age of Welterweights? How that doesn't get you into the HOF is beyond me.

His talent is worthy of the HOF. Not so much his resume.

Clegg
06-26-2009, 01:12 AM
Who cares if he is rated below Leonard, Hearns, Duran, and Benitez?

Boxing in the same divison and decade as someone doesn't transfer their greatness on to you.

BennyST
06-26-2009, 05:50 AM
A HOF'r...NO.

I think that's a bit harsh. His first big fight was with Marlon Starling. The first time was a non title fight in which both were hugely hyped, undefeated prospects, which he won. The second time they fought was for his title which was another big event and again he won. They are pretty big, impressive wins.

The McCrory fight was probably even bigger though than the Starling and Honeyghan fights. Both undefeated, with all the titles at stake. It was huge and he was already being seen as the best in the sport by many then. After he beat Colin Jones, who had been impressive in his draw and close SD loss to McCrory, it made him a favourite and it was a big fan fight. That was much bigger than the Honeyghan fight though as everyone expected it to be hard and close, which it wasn't. No one really expected Honeyghan to win.

It's a difficult one I think. He's borderline. He had a very good run with his WW reign and then unifying before losing to Honeyghan. He won another title, but lost his main big fights to McCallum, Norris, Nunn etc.

I think he's close and he has certainly had some very good wins and accomplished a lot in a short time. He was very skillful too, but just lacked something. People really thought he was the next Leonard for a time.

1SILVA
08-30-2009, 03:16 PM
I think that's a bit harsh. His first big fight was with Marlon Starling. The first time was a non title fight in which both were hugely hyped, undefeated prospects, which he won. The second time they fought was for his title which was another big event and again he won. They are pretty big, impressive wins.

The McCrory fight was probably even bigger though than the Starling and Honeyghan fights. Both undefeated, with all the titles at stake. It was huge and he was already being seen as the best in the sport by many then. After he beat Colin Jones, who had been impressive in his draw and close SD loss to McCrory, it made him a favourite and it was a big fan fight. That was much bigger than the Honeyghan fight though as everyone expected it to be hard and close, which it wasn't. No one really expected Honeyghan to win.

It's a difficult one I think. He's borderline. He had a very good run with his WW reign and then unifying before losing to Honeyghan. He won another title, but lost his main big fights to McCallum, Norris, Nunn etc.

I think he's close and he has certainly had some very good wins and accomplished a lot in a short time. He was very skillful too, but just lacked something. People really thought he was the next Leonard for a time.

The Curry that fought Honeyghan was not the same Curry we saw 10 months earlier destroy Mcrory. He was never the same after the Honeyghan fight, which was a shame since he was only 25 at the time and just come off winning the Fighter of the Year in 1985

Steak
08-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Curry had a lot of impressive wins and performances...but at the same time, he had some pretty sad losses, and generally lost most times he stepped up to the true elite level.

watching his fights, its really pretty amazing that he lost to certain people. the guy was talented as hell. he was just missing something to make him a true elite, maybe it was drive or adaptability.
he gave McCallum a pretty darn good fight before he got smacked by the left hook, and had some pretty nasty KOs.

GJC
08-30-2009, 06:33 PM

Maybe people who wasn't around then don't realise how much he was rated a lot of judges had him the no.1 pfp at that time. The Honeyghan loss was a huge upset after that he was pretty ordinary. Apparently Micky Duff spotted that he was shot and pushed for Honeyghan to go in with him, must have a hell of an eye. Bit Benetiz ish in the speed and age at which he was shot.

1SILVA
10-27-2009, 10:52 AM
This poll has Curry deserving to be inducted

mickey malone
10-27-2009, 12:20 PM
This poll has Curry deserving to be inducted
So he is! And rightly so to.. There are quite a few doubters that haven't voted though.. I've seen a poll in which he loses the argument, but obviously not on this site.. My mistake..

Benncollinsaad
10-27-2009, 12:39 PM
Do you think Donald Curry should get inducted into the IBHOF?

U stealin' my threads now??:spank:

mickey malone
10-27-2009, 12:50 PM
U stealin' my threads now??:spank:
Nah, it's to do with me saying on your thread, that I recall Curry losing the argument on another poll (obviously not this site)
I believe SILVA's just checking up on me lol....

Benncollinsaad
10-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Nah, it's to do with me saying on your thread, that I recall Curry losing the argument on another poll (obviously not this site)
I believe SILVA's just checking up on me lol....

Ah, so you've started godmodding now??!:grr: :lol1:

mickey malone
10-27-2009, 01:05 PM
Well I might be old, but I'm not religious and never owned a Vespa, so wtf is godmodding? That's more Roger Daltry, I think?

1SILVA
10-27-2009, 01:39 PM

I posted this poll back in June. Trying to back your opinion up. Curry deserves to be in and hopefully come June he will be inducted.

Benncollinsaad
10-27-2009, 02:59 PM
I posted this poll back in June. Trying to back your opinion up. Curry deserves to be in and hopefully come June he will be inducted.

Sure pal, sure.;) I was just playing around.

elgaringo
10-27-2009, 03:13 PM
Good question & tough to decide...

YES: Because, he cleaned up at Welterweight (pre Honeyghan was unbeaten) & unified the belts.. The KO of 'Milt the Stilt' was something else!
YES: Because, he had enough resolve to briefly win a title at L/M (WBC, I think)

NO: Because of the nature of his defeats.. Curry quit against Honeyghan & was mentally beaten after the 1st round.. His KO defeats to McCallum & Norris were devastating..
NO: Because, he was never a dominant force at L/M... I think he lost the title to the mediocre Rene Jaqueut.. I'll edit if I'm wrong..

HOWEVER: Curry was always entertaining to watch, & never in a dull fight.. He had exceptional H/speed & was a slick mover...

For me, it's a YES (just about)

I think his accomplishments were good, but not great. For the reasons you said no, for me its a no! Just. If it is widely accepted that curry is a HOFer inductee then were gonna have to accept that a hell of a lot of people from todays boxers are going to be in there.

Where abouts in thailand do you live? I love the country! I went over to see my brother last june for a few weeks cos he lives over there in Pattaya. about 20 mins from the centre where the main night life is. Loved it, ill be goin back very soon!

mickey malone
10-27-2009, 03:45 PM
I think his accomplishments were good, but not great. For the reasons you said no, for me its a no! Just. If it is widely accepted that curry is a HOFer inductee then were gonna have to accept that a hell of a lot of people from todays boxers are going to be in there.

Where abouts in thailand do you live? I love the country! I went over to see my brother last june for a few weeks cos he lives over there in Pattaya. about 20 mins from the centre where the main night life is. Loved it, ill be goin back very soon!
Well Perkins & McGuigan are in there so why not Curry, or even better, Gilberto Roman? He was a class act..
I've even heard scary rumors, that Sven Ottke's up for a nomination soon lol..

Mickey Malones London Irish Bar, Soi LK Metro, Pattaya

I'll probably get tapped for pluggin the bar now, but wtf
Pop in for a chat, there's a fair bit of boxing memorabilia hanging about the place,
and quite a few ex pros drink here.. We've had Gary Stretch in today, off his tits! lol...

elgaringo
10-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Well Perkins & McGuigan are in there so why not Curry, or even better, Gilberto Roman? He was a class act..
I've even heard scary rumors, that Sven Ottke's up for a nomination soon lol..

Mickey Malones London Irish Bar, Soi LK Metro, Pattaya

I'll probably get tapped for pluggin the bar now, but wtf
Pop in for a chat, there's a fair bit of boxing memorabilia hanging about the place,
and quite a few ex pros drink here.. We've had Gary Stretch in today, off his tits! lol...

LOL I hate to admit it but ottke beat just about every top super middle in his reign and remained undefeated. shame he never fought calzaghe cos he wouldn't have that 0! Everytime I watched him I found myself routing for the other guy cos I hated his style. I bet if he had fought most of the Americans he beat in America and not in his back yard he'd have a lot more recognition. Id day ottke is more deserving than Curry, what do you think?:boxing:

Ill log that and come to drink in your bar one night when I get over there!:)

Stoppage
10-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Out of the current list of nominees, he should definitely be in.

blacklodge
10-28-2009, 02:50 AM
It's all about context. Maybe my memory is skewed, but I recall Curry-McCroy to be a much, much bigger fight than Curry-McCallum. McCallum was barely known at the time. I think Curry-McCroy was one of the biggest fights of the 80s, short of the "superfights", Hagler-Hearns, Hearns-Leonard, etc. Toss in his big wins, and the way he won them, particularly his destruction of McCroy and Stafford, and he's a lock for the HOF.
Another thing to consider for our younger readers which I think is important, is that those watching cable/network boxing got to see Curry develop and fight his way from the bottom to the top. In that sense, I identify him with the 80s boxing scene as much as any other fighter. But he fell off the cliff after he beat McCroy, saying he had trouble making weight (translation: not training), he was trying to sue Ray Leonard for screwing him out of a fight with Hagler, had those bad fights with intentional head butting fighters, and then he locks horns with McCallum, who dusted Curry in a fight I thought Curry was winning at the time. He's a could have been, yeah, but he deserves to be recognized for how great he was as a welterweight.

mickey malone
10-28-2009, 06:19 AM
LOL I hate to admit it but ottke beat just about every top super middle in his reign and remained undefeated. shame he never fought calzaghe cos he wouldn't have that 0! Everytime I watched him I found myself routing for the other guy cos I hated his style. I bet if he had fought most of the Americans he beat in America and not in his back yard he'd have a lot more recognition. Id day ottke is more deserving than Curry, what do you think?:boxing:

Ill log that and come to drink in your bar one night when I get over there!:)
Nah, Just swop the word 'recognition' for the word 'defeats'

GJC
10-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Apparently Freddie Mills is up, i'd like to see Freddie get in but its a personal choice more than anything.