View Full Version : Which of the current HWs stands the best chance against a prime Tyson?

Jim Jeffries
06-15-2009, 05:26 PM
The general consensus is that Mike Tyson would beat any of the top HWs today, but which one gives him the toughest fight?

Looking at the guys who took Mike the distance, I'd say maybe Ruiz could hug him for the distance the way "Bonecrusher" Smith did, but he's not winning a decision. Dimitrenko might be able to duplicate Tony Tucker's performance, but he doesn't have TT's jab. Green and Tillis, Mike was still a bit green.

Vitali probably would've had the best chance, but against Gomez, especially early in the fight, his age is really starting to show, and starting slow against Mike is a very bad thing, to say the least. Wlad might be able to jab him on the way in and immediately tie up, but chances are Mike would eventually catch him, so unless Wlad tired him out prematurely by leaning on him in the clinches, I don't like his chances.

Arreola and Haye would probably make for the most entertaining fights, but I doubt either would last more than a few rounds with Mike. Call me crazy, but I think Eddie Chambers has the defense and chin to block most of Mike's shots early and if he could come in in good enough shape to outwork him in the later rounds, when Mike's workrate and power had diminished, he might be able to squeak out a decision.

Sugarj
06-15-2009, 05:33 PM
I'd go with Vitali, such a good chin. I could see a distance fight with Tyson but think that Tyson would probably win by two or three rounds after having tough moments.

Anybody with a dodgy chin like Wladimir or Haye would to my mind be knocked out at some point. Not a hope that someone as speedy and powerful as a peak Tyson would not be able to find either's chin.

Jim Jeffries
06-15-2009, 05:45 PM
I'd go with Vitali, such a good chin. I could see a distance fight with Tyson but think that Tyson would probably win by two or three rounds after having tough moments.

Anybody with a dodgy chin like Wladimir or Haye would to my mind be knocked out at some point. Not a hope that someone as speedy and powerful as a peak Tyson would not be able to find either's chin.

Yeah Tyson was pretty accurate as well, and was able to leap forward fast enough to make up for his reach deficit, but not get caught, and if he did get caught, his chin was solid enough to take it. As I remember in the Tucker fight, Tony caught him with his Sunday punch in the first round, Mike took it well, and Tony knew then he had no chance of stopping him, so he switched to survival mode. Haye's quick with very good reflexes, but keeps his right too low to avoid getting caught at some point, and when he does, I hear Mike was a pretty decent finisher.:boxing:

RightCross94
06-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Vitali Klitschko

▀ringer
06-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Vitali Klitschko, by a landslide.

He's the only one I see, who has a good (maybe even great) chance against a Prime Tyson.

MANGLER
06-15-2009, 07:57 PM
VK easily. Too damn tall, long, and powerful for Tyson. I think he could beat him, maybe stop him. Prime Mike ices the rest.

The Iron Man
06-15-2009, 08:43 PM
I dont really see any of those HW's beating Tyson, but i would give Vitali the best chance he has a solid chin and a good jab.

them_apples
06-15-2009, 09:58 PM
The general consensus is that Mike Tyson would beat any of the top HWs today, but which one gives him the toughest fight?

Looking at the guys who took Mike the distance, I'd say maybe Ruiz could hug him for the distance the way "Bonecrusher" Smith did, but he's not winning a decision. Dimitrenko might be able to duplicate Tony Tucker's performance, but he doesn't have TT's jab. Green and Tillis, Mike was still a bit green.

Vitali probably would've had the best chance, but against Gomez, especially early in the fight, his age is really starting to show, and starting slow against Mike is a very bad thing, to say the least. Wlad might be able to jab him on the way in and immediately tie up, but chances are Mike would eventually catch him, so unless Wlad tired him out prematurely by leaning on him in the clinches, I don't like his chances.

Arreola and Haye would probably make for the most entertaining fights, but I doubt either would last more than a few rounds with Mike. Call me crazy, but I think Eddie Chambers has the defense and chin to block most of Mike's shots early and if he could come in in good enough shape to outwork him in the later rounds, when Mike's workrate and power had diminished, he might be able to squeak out a decision.

Vitali is the only one with a chance, even then I think he would lose a UD.

The other guys fall in a matter of rounds.

mickey malone
06-18-2009, 10:27 AM
Pre Douglas... None of them... After Holyfield.... All of them.....

Obama
06-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Call me crazy, but I think Eddie Chambers has the defense and chin to block most of Mike's shots early and if he could come in in good enough shape to outwork him in the later rounds, when Mike's workrate and power had diminished, he might be able to squeak out a decision.

Eddie Chambers could take him the distance and make him look bad from time to time. He can't win a decision however, he's just not active enough. I see Eddie winning 4 out of 12 rounds, but I give him a better chance of going 12 than anyone, including Vitali. I voted for Vitali however because he has the best chance to actually win the fight. If Wlad had Vitali's chin, I'd go with him, but he doesn't.

them_apples
06-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Eddie Chambers could take him the distance and make him look bad from time to time. He can't win a decision however, he's just not active enough. I see Eddie winning 4 out of 12 rounds, but I give him a better chance of going 12 than anyone, including Vitali. I voted for Vitali however because he has the best chance to actually win the fight. If Wlad had Vitali's chin, I'd go with him, but he doesn't.

Are you kidding? Chambers would be broken in half, he's not even a legit heavyweight without the extra fat.

The Surgeon
06-18-2009, 02:37 PM
Tyson would smash em all to absaloute bits IMHO

Obama
06-18-2009, 04:20 PM
Are you kidding? Chambers would be broken in half, he's not even a legit heavyweight without the extra fat.

He doesn't get knocked out due to his fighting style, similar to the way Jimmy Young fought (yet another Philadelphia fighter). Without the "extra fat", Jimmy wasn't all that much bigger than Eddie.

Jimmy was knocked out only twice, and never knocked out in his prime. And the two guys who KOed him I believe hit harder than Tyson (Shavers when Young was still green, and Cooney when Young was a little bit past it).

Eddie Chambers is currently in his prime, I think. He's not getting broken in half by anyone. Much more durable fighters than he could have a lower chance of survival simply because their styles leave them open to take punishment.

But don't bother responding...I already know you won't get it. The best fighter in the world uses the Philadelphia shell defense and you swear Pacman is going to demolish him. CLEARLY you would not agree with the above statements under such circumstances, so don't even bother.

LondonRingRules
06-19-2009, 05:53 AM
He doesn't get knocked out due to his fighting style, similar to the way Jimmy Young fought (yet another Philadelphia fighter). Without the "extra fat", Jimmy wasn't all that much bigger than Eddie.

Jimmy was knocked out only twice, and never knocked out in his prime. And the two guys who KOed him I believe hit harder than Tyson (Shavers when Young was still green, and Cooney when Young was a little bit past it).

Eddie Chambers is currently in his prime, I think. He's not getting broken in half by anyone. Much more durable fighters than he could have a lower chance of survival simply because their styles leave them open to take punishment.

But don't bother responding...I already know you won't get it. The best fighter in the world uses the Philadelphia shell defense and you swear Pacman is going to demolish him. CLEARLY you would not agree with the above statements under such circumstances, so don't even bother.

** Dude, NOBODY gets you other than you give our president a bad name. Slap a white skin on Eddie and call him Chambersmov, and you'd be telling us he's an typical, easy to hit upright Euro robot.

Chambers is currently the most one dimensional heavy in the top ten. The only reason he ain't KTFO is because he hasn't been matched with big sluggers like the Klitschkos, Haye or Arreola.

Jimmy Young was a freestylist who was as likely as not to do anything under the sun with his feet, hands, and body. Restricting him to your weary Philly style which hasn't fared so well in the heavy division is blithering.

Silencers
06-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Definitely Vitali Klitschko, he has the height, reach, power and chin to beat Tyson.

Obama
06-19-2009, 08:21 PM
** Dude, NOBODY gets you other than you give our president a bad name. Slap a white skin on Eddie and call him Chambersmov, and you'd be telling us he's an typical, easy to hit upright Euro robot.

Chambers is currently the most one dimensional heavy in the top ten. The only reason he ain't KTFO is because he hasn't been matched with big sluggers like the Klitschkos, Haye or Arreola.

Jimmy Young was a freestylist who was as likely as not to do anything under the sun with his feet, hands, and body. Restricting him to your weary Philly style which hasn't fared so well in the heavy division is blithering.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Aside from the statement that demonstrates you know nothing about what's currently happening in boxing, cut the racist bull****. You're the one obsessed with members of 1 race.

If Philadelphia had a White Heavyweight worth bringing up, I would. Closest we got is the LHW division:

Tommy Loughran
Battling Levinsky
Philadelphia Jack O'Brien

So stop trying to play me, you can't.

Verstyle
06-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Tyson would bob and weave in and out of Vitali faster then these ppl. http://www.loominous.co.uk/images/Temp/maz_weaving%20019_cr.jpg http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jX88Us7RleQ/SXoXcsOTG5I/AAAAAAAAAak/l0N4iIbAr_s/s400/Bobbing+Apples+1.jpg

Infern0
06-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Vitali Klitschko destroys any version of tyson

mickey malone
06-20-2009, 05:03 AM
Vitali Klitschko destroys any version of tyson
Disagree... He'd have needed a gun in the mid 80's...

gerald923
06-20-2009, 12:57 PM
vitali has the best chance, but he's so robotic he'd have to do a lot of holding to go the distance imo.

WelshDevilRob
06-20-2009, 02:24 PM
What a sorry list. I bet that list would make Tony Tubbs, Greg Page, Pinklon Thomas, Tim Witherspoon and co puff there chests out in ride.

My God that really hits home how bad it's got.

Of the list well we shall disqualify Vitali for being and admitting (in his own book) to being a steroids cheat.

Wlad has got Ko'd after 25 fights against Ross Purrity.:fingersx: So he has no hope against Mike.

Povetkin who is the best of the Eastern European bunch has the wrong style for Tyson. Tyson would hurt him badly.

mickey malone
06-21-2009, 06:49 AM
I know.....lol...

Chagaev... Short armed leather faced pub fighter (Poor mans Chuvalo)
Chambers... A limited survivor without a dig (poor mans Tyrell)
Peter.... Slower than my Granny (& she's 20 years dead!)
Povetkin... Hits as hard as my Granny..
Haye.... Cruiser with a dodgy chin (Michael Spinks come to mind)
Dimitrenko.... Feasted on bums (The reappearance of Alex Zolkin)
Johnny Louise... Oh please.....
Areola.... Too fat (Splat on the mat)
The Bros..... Bit like the Kray twins (terrorized the weaker ones) See above....

My God!! Tyson would have gone through this lot like a 10 pints of Guinness in a dysintry victim...

LondonRingRules
06-21-2009, 09:22 AM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Aside from the statement that demonstrates you know nothing about what's currently happening in boxing, cut the racist bull****. You're the one obsessed with members of 1 race.

If Philadelphia had a White Heavyweight worth bringing up, I would. Closest we got is the LHW division:

Tommy Loughran
Battling Levinsky
Philadelphia Jack O'Brien

So stop trying to play me, you can't.

** Play you? I mean to clown you like Jimmy Young did Ali using your "Philly shell defense."

You're the one who showed up playing your race cards on this board. I'm the one holding The Ace of Spades that trumps all the little flimflamers trying to piggy back on the great name of our president.

Here's a new name for ya, MugabeBeMe! What you know about boxing, that's what Mugs knows about running a country!

We'll just make it Mugs for short.

GJC
06-21-2009, 10:04 AM
I know.....lol...

Chagaev... Short armed leather faced pub fighter (Poor mans Chuvalo)

20/06/09 Stop press. Apparently not! :)

Peter.... Slower than my Granny (& she's 20 years dead!)
Povetkin... Hits as hard as my Granny..

It was always said that your Granny was unlucky she fought in her era :)

The Bros..... Bit like the Kray twins (terrorized the weaker ones) See above....

With as biased and unknowledgable bunch of fans. Or 1960's Robin Hood's if you prefer.

mickey malone
06-21-2009, 10:50 AM
20/06/09 Stop press. Apparently not! :)

It was always said that your Granny was unlucky she fought in her era :)

With as biased and unknowledgable bunch of fans. Or 1960's Robin Hood's if you prefer.
Had my sarcy head on for the Chagaev comment... We all know he's better than that, but much like yourself 'old boy' , Iv'e seen better day's... Eras, if you like...

As stated, the likes of (186,000 MPS) Peter & the lantern fisted Povetkin (a white Byrd) would NOT have survived the realms of pugulistic survival during the 'old girls' reign..

The Krays, lol... I 'was brung' up in the East end (London/Irish mongrel, for my sins) & I know too much about those chaps.... I can only say, it was better then... Not like all the racist/drug B/S going on today... Robbing Hoods, they were to, but not in the same concept of the hoodies of today...

Paddy on WWTB a Millionaire...

CHRIS: Paddy.....Which 1 of these 4 Ronnies was a Great Train Robber?
Was it Barker, Corbett, Biggs or Kray?

PADDY: I don't know.......

CHRIS: Well Paddy..... You can always use a lifeline.......

PADDY: Sorry Chris, I can't answer the question.......

CHRIS: Eeeeemmmmmm, this is a first for Millionaire.... Paddy, can you please explain to the audience WHY you can't answer the question??

PADDY: Oh for sure Chris, That's the easy one! I may have been a few things in my time...

BUT THERE'S NO WAY I'M A ****ING GRASS....

GJC
06-21-2009, 10:59 AM
Had my sarcy head on for the Chagaev comment... We all know he's better than that, but much like yourself 'old boy' , Iv'e seen better day's... Eras, if you like...

As stated, the likes of (186,000 MPS) Peter & the lantern fisted Povetkin (a white Byrd) would NOT have survived the realms of pugulistic survival during the 'old girls' reign..

The Krays, lol... I 'was brung' up in the East end (London/Irish mongrel, for my sins) & I know too much about those chaps.... I can only say, it was better then... Not like all the racist/drug B/S going on today... Robbing Hoods, they were to, but not in the same concept of the hoodies of today...

Paddy on WWTB a Millionaire...

CHRIS: Paddy.....Which 1 of these 4 Ronnies was a Great Train Robber?
Was it Barker, Corbett, Biggs or Kray?

PADDY: I don't know.......

CHRIS: Well Paddy..... You can always use a lifeline.......

PADDY: Sorry Chris, I can't answer the question.......

CHRIS: Eeeeemmmmmm, this is a first for Millionaire.... Paddy, can you please explain to the audience WHY you can't answer the question??

PADDY: Oh for sure Chris, That's the easy one! I may have been a few things in my time...

BUT THERE'S NO WAY I'M A ****ING GRASS....
No thought you were spot on with Chaguev just updated the chin part :)
Re the twins, yes was a better time then. Guess it comes down to the rules in their era they broke a lot of them but nowadays they would get eaten alive. As you will know, no one talks unguardedly about them myself included.
What area are you from, pre yuppie Hoxton myself.

Wild Apache
06-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Vitaly would be the first choice,Sam Peter and Chris would make for some serious entertainment though!!!

Uturn
06-21-2009, 03:09 PM
I dont really see much chance for any of those HW's but if i had to pick one it would be Vitali, i think he may be able to survive Mikes onslaught for 6 rounds as he has a decent chin and mat be able to take a UD but a very slim chance that is...The rest i dont see getting past 5 rounds. Prime Mike was a freak of nature..

Obama
06-21-2009, 03:21 PM
** Play you? I mean to clown you like Jimmy Young did Ali using your "Philly shell defense."

You're the one who showed up playing your race cards on this board. I'm the one holding The Ace of Spades that trumps all the little flimflamers trying to piggy back on the great name of our president.

Here's a new name for ya, MugabeBeMe! What you know about boxing, that's what Mugs knows about running a country!

We'll just make it Mugs for short.

You're the most off topic poster in the entire history section. You're also an extremely repetitive SOB. I'm pretty sure I could take a crack at the name LondonRingRules every time I responded to a post by you, but that'd make me a juvenile. In your case, it makes you an old man in diapers.

jvsnypes
06-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Vitali would stand the best chance cause he has a nice jab and knows how to use distance in the ring.That though, would only prevent him from getting knocked out. He would take an inhuman beating like Razor Rudduck did. Tyson by ud.

mickey malone
06-21-2009, 04:01 PM
No thought you were spot on with Chaguev just updated the chin part :)
Re the twins, yes was a better time then. Guess it comes down to the rules in their era they broke a lot of them but nowadays they would get eaten alive. As you will know, no one talks unguardedly about them myself included.
What area are you from, pre yuppie Hoxton myself.
Poplar E14.... Hoxton.... That's McClean territory....
You can't get more central than that..... Clerkenwell maybe.... That's where the 'Yuppie' was invented...
Nice one.... Always a pleasure......