View Full Version : How do you motivate yourself to train?

andalusian81
06-15-2009, 06:09 AM
How do you motivate yourself to train?

Especially when you really really dont feel like it or if your body is aching a little bit.

Cause I have tendencies to make excuses within myself when Im busy with my studies for example:

Ill think to myself, Nahh Ill just go to the gym tomorrow cause ive got a lot of school work but in reality I can finish them all on time.

So what can I do to motivate myself to train hard?

RightCross94
06-15-2009, 08:14 AM
i just think of national championships are something to work towards, and also i enjoy boxing so it is not that difficult to go down to the gym, the only thing i really need to motivate myself for is running

#1Assassin
06-15-2009, 08:23 AM
i dont need to, i love boxing. sometimes if im tiren and fall asleep when i get home, and i know i gotta get up right away to make it in time i wont really feel like it.. but i know once i get on the bus ill be happy i dragged my ass out of bed. running is diffrent though, thats hard for real. but i just imagine being in a fight and getting tired, maybe getting KOd cuz of fatigue.. then i get out there and run. i think of everyone else who want the same thing i want, and that i cant let them get ahead of me.

mmrooms
06-15-2009, 08:40 AM
I think about the fame and the *****....

J.Dempsey
06-15-2009, 09:30 AM
i use the aggression inside me, i think about any time a prick has disrespected me, especially the times i had trouble n didn't deal with it, ****as i hate..i use this negative energy to do something positive

man im gettin boiled up about it now, im goin for a run lol

Richie-G
06-15-2009, 10:32 AM
think about the feeling of winning and how good it feels

Spartacus Sully
06-15-2009, 12:54 PM
I follow a schedule.

Alexandros
06-15-2009, 01:50 PM
for me its fun its like playing a game haha

RRICAN
06-15-2009, 01:54 PM
WEED :439: ill train for hours

Bobby Shaw
06-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Watch fights,see how fit professionals are and you will jog like crazy

Del Coqui
06-15-2009, 03:13 PM
music, energy drink

JmtRyan
06-15-2009, 03:38 PM
That i won't be able to do it one day.

Juof
06-15-2009, 07:25 PM
watching mike tyson at 15 years of ages motivates me or watchhing him when hes 19 kicking 32 year olds asses

sukhenkoy
06-15-2009, 08:54 PM
Love the idea of fighting and the feeling you get after training.

Boxing is the hardest sport in the world and I don't like to back away from challenges.

Kinetic Linking
06-15-2009, 09:24 PM
training right is rational. that's all you really need.

Journeyman
06-16-2009, 03:22 AM
i get lazy sometimes too, but i realized that getting started is the hardest part...once i actually lace em up and work up a sweat im good to go. plus once u start taking L's in sparring sessions against kids u dont particularly like, u end up wanting to work hard to see the day u can redeem that pride

setza
06-16-2009, 07:15 PM
achieving your goal, for you to try train hard and compare back few weeks ago to your self.

Marlin26
06-17-2009, 01:45 AM
for running, i think of my goals, how i want to be a world champion, i think of my opponents and what they are doing, i wonder if they are out in the cold stormy weather running 8k like i am, when i sprint up hills i imagine my opponent and think of it like a race, believing that i can never let him get ahead of me. Everytime i go for a run i think of what my friends are doing, and i wonder how many of them go for runs, or how many of them do what i do and then it hits me NON of them do what i do. and it motivates me

HispanicCausing
06-17-2009, 05:07 AM
well me being in the military, kinda got used to it but i see it like this, my little brothers see me as a hero and i've never given up at anything and since im deployed in the Marines and on a ship. I just really think of the other people that depend on me and i would feel bad if i ever quit cause it makes me feel like i quit on them since they see me as being a strong figure in their lives.

Mayweather Jr.
06-17-2009, 07:53 AM
sex before a long session of training...gets u pumped

White_Bread
06-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Just remember...

exercise = your in shape = strong dick = pleasure women = love

Spartacus Sully
06-17-2009, 11:36 AM
I just think of how amazing my giant **** is going to look when i have a 10 pack above it.

LVBoxer1
06-17-2009, 12:41 PM
I love the sport. It motivates me every morning I wake up.

Mayorga-Rules
06-17-2009, 12:50 PM
I think about God, the belts i'll win, but i love to train. That's the only thing i really love to do. Training hard is better than *******.

Aperion
06-17-2009, 02:38 PM
How do you motivate yourself to train?

Especially when you really really dont feel like it or if your body is aching a little bit.

Cause I have tendencies to make excuses within myself when Im busy with my studies for example:

Ill think to myself, Nahh Ill just go to the gym tomorrow cause ive got a lot of school work but in reality I can finish them all on time.

So what can I do to motivate myself to train hard?

I hear ya. I am not going to ever be a world champion, or even be a real boxer (At 31, I'm too old at this point). But damn do I love to hit my heavy bag and work on technique. Seeing the results in my body gives me motivation - I don't want to lose that, my 31 year old self would be able to whip the tar out of my 21 year old self, that keeps me motivated.

Verstyle
06-17-2009, 02:40 PM
I go to work, that's how I motivate myself.

danny stash
06-17-2009, 02:46 PM
music in the ear....

channel some anger you have and use it for motivation.

Pork Chop
06-17-2009, 02:56 PM
The only time the motivation isn't there for me is when something's wrong - when i'm burned out, injured, not sleeping right, overstressed, or all of the above.

In that case I usually fix the problem, which may include time off.

The rest of the time, I don't need any of these energy drinks or anything to hit the gym hard. Music & highlights from my favorite fighters do help though.

LVBoxer1
06-17-2009, 02:58 PM
music in the ear....

channel some anger you have and use it for motivation.

Big part of what I do. I have alot of anger.

Aperion
06-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Whoever said energy drinks.... What? How does an energy drink motivate you? Surgar and caffeine are crap for your system. H20 all the way...

HispanicCausing
06-18-2009, 03:41 AM
i guess another thing that motivates me is the people that doubt me and say i can't, fustrates me a little but the anger drives me to push further

Pork Chop
06-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Whoever said energy drinks.... What? How does an energy drink motivate you? Surgar and caffeine are crap for your system. H20 all the way...

wasn't really referring to anybody on this thread, but we get threads all the time asking which energy drink is good to use before a fight and crap like that.

I like music and highlight videos, but you shouldn't need anything to stay motivated, coz you're not going to have anything in the fight.

#1Assassin
06-18-2009, 10:49 AM
wasn't really referring to anybody on this thread, but we get threads all the time asking which energy drink is good to use before a fight and crap like that.

I like music and highlight videos, but you shouldn't need anything to stay motivated, coz you're not going to have anything in the fight.

ofcourse u have things that motivate u in the fight. maybe u have family and friends watching, just the hatred of losing, not wanting to get your ass whupped in front of a crowd of ppl.

but i feel u though. u gotta love it. thats were it all comes from, love for the sport. but everyone has times when its a bit harder, when u need some extra motivation to get your ass in the gym. once u have to dig deep u need the love for the sport though, its just about the fighting.

Pork Chop
06-18-2009, 10:05 PM
ofcourse u have things that motivate u in the fight. maybe u have family and friends watching, just the hatred of losing, not wanting to get your ass whupped in front of a crowd of ppl.

but i feel u though. u gotta love it. thats were it all comes from, love for the sport. but everyone has times when its a bit harder, when u need some extra motivation to get your ass in the gym. once u have to dig deep u need the love for the sport though, its just about the fighting.

I think we're on the same page.
Even the external stuff that motivates you is still due to an internal feeling.
You care about your family and your pride in front of them so you work hard.
It's not like you go out and make family to make yourself work harder.

You always want to work hard in the gym.
But if you gotta go out and find something external to motivate you to put in work, you gotta question your passion in the first place.
I mean, if you hate hitting stuff and hate throwing down with folks, then very little's going to change your mind on that stuff long term.

A coach of mine gave me advice one time, when I asked him this very same question. He told me that fighting is really an extension of who you are, at the most it makes you more of what you are deep down inside.

He was of the opinion that nothing's gonna make you want to fight, at least not for the right reasons. So if you need a pick-me-up, you really need to look inside and see what's going to cheer you up and get you going.

If you hate fighting in the first place, then no amount of external influence is going to change that long term - yeah, you can get ticked off for whatever reason and bring that anger to training. But what happens when that anger's gone after the first few rounds?

It's gotta be deeper than that, either you're a fighter or you're not.
If you're a fighter and you're feeling run down, then what's causing it?
If you're burnt out, maybe you ought to get some rest.
If you know you're a fighter, but you'd rather be outside playing, bangin chix, or getting drunk; then maybe you gotta reevaluate your priorities.

Sure, certain things will get you in the mood. A good song, a great highlight, dreams of glory, solid goals of success, and even an angry disposition will surely help you stay on track.

As far as the anger goes, I came from the kung fu world. They believe that always fighting angry will cause damage to your liver and bring about early burnout. I mean, what happens when you're a dad, or you meet the love of your life, and you have no reason to be angry, will you just stop training?
Not if it's a part of who you are...

For me, there's a line in the movie Gattica that I replay in my head during training. This genetically "imperfect" guy sneaks his way into a job reserved for genetically perfect test tube babies. He relates a story of when he was a kid and he beat his genetically perfect test tube baby brother in a swimming race. The race eats at the perfect brother his whole life. Eventually he asks the imperfect brother how he won. The imperfect brother says something to the effect of "You swam that race thinking you had to have enough energy to make the return swim home. I swam with the determination that I wasn't going to swim back and that's why i won."

That's how I approach training.

I want to pass out, I want my heart to explode, I want to see if I push my body so hard I collapse right there in front of the heavybag.
It always motivates me to push hard, and somehow I always find reserves I didn't think I had.

If you spar/fight always trying to conserve energy then you're always going to be finely attuned to how tired you are - if you're more tired than you feel you should be, you'll over react to it and automatically slow down. If you go out there with the mindset that the work should make you pass out, then you'll be surprised when you're able to access energy you didn't think you had.

More often than not though, it's a fine balance between working hard enough and burnout. Soreness is okay, but sharp pain needs rest or it will nag at you and get worse over time. So you gotta remind yourself, especially as you get old like me, that you're not indestructible and that consistency is often more important than intensity - so the occasional rest day is not a big sin.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but that's what does it for me.

boxingp4p
06-18-2009, 11:14 PM
if your feeling down on trainig just go to your dvd collection and pull ot a Rocky film. That ****'ll have you doing some crazy stuff in training!

ashis
06-19-2009, 02:42 AM
I listen to hiphop music

burstsh0t
06-19-2009, 05:55 AM
non point- alive and kicking
great pump up song

andalusian81
06-19-2009, 06:03 AM
I guess I must experience a beat down first before I get awakened by the fact that im still so weak. My first real amateur fight is gonna be in november, I hope I get beat up so badly hahaha

Spartacus Sully
06-19-2009, 08:19 AM
"You swam that race thinking you had to have enough energy to make the return swim home. I swam with the determination that I wasn't going to swim back and that's why i won."

good quote.

kind of like fighting a match all out with the thought that you only have to last long enough to knock the other guy out instead of conserving energy so you can last 12 rounds.

sukhenkoy
06-19-2009, 10:08 AM
"You swam that race thinking you had to have enough energy to make the return swim home. I swam with the determination that I wasn't going to swim back and that's why i won."

good quote.

kind of like fighting a match all out with the thought that you only have to last long enough to knock the other guy out instead of conserving energy so you can last 12 rounds.

Although this quote is a bit realistic in the context of an actual bout because if that's your strategy, chances are you will be made to look like a fool against a good fighter. You have to push yourself in a fight - no doubt - but if you go ape**** looking for the KO, you'll find yourself exhausted inside 2 rounds.

This quote more applies to training.

DeepSleep
06-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Watching a great fight gets my blood pumping. Cotto vs. Clottey made me want to go to the gym.

Mr.Noodle
06-20-2009, 03:42 AM
I have some goals to fulfill and slacking off isn't going to let me reach that goal.

Alexandros
06-20-2009, 04:08 AM
me, i just think i must live up to what are the expectations on me, and i must not let those expectations down. So far im doing good but if i fail miseribley lets say and triple straight losing streak then its time to pack things up. :D

HispanicCausing
06-20-2009, 04:11 AM
**** talking always gives me that little push to go farther also

Alexandros
06-20-2009, 06:20 AM
right now im tired and beat been boxing and training 3month straight 6 days a week... i think my body deserves a break from boxing. :D

--Israel--
06-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Big part of what I do. I have alot of anger.

I hear you mate. I got enough to share with every one in town. Hittin the road or shadow boxin helps me release most of it...i keep bit afterwards though

Spacey1991
06-20-2009, 11:54 PM
i just think of national championships are something to work towards, and also i enjoy boxing so it is not that difficult to go down to the gym, the only thing i really need to motivate myself for is running

Same with me... honestly, going for runs is the only part of the training I don't really like... but it has to be done I guess...

TacticalW
06-21-2009, 07:05 AM
I watch boxing, imagine how it'd be to be a national champ, listen to my rock to get myself riled up and I got myself into a mindset that there are "no" excuses to take a break from training unless I'm seriously injured and even then GOTTA keep building up everything I can. I'm not settling for anything close to average.

And right now I'm on a forced break from hitting things.. sprained both of my fists a week ago and did something weird to 2 of my knuckles.. the wrapping I used was too thin and ended up everything up after an extended mitt/bag session.. I'm really pissed but working doubly hard on my stamina and thankfully I have someone that can get the dumbells/bar in position for me so I can do the excercises properly. Hopefully I'll be able to at least shadow box again by tomorrow without having my knuckles sting like crazy.. if they do then that'll be a few more days. I've been training 2-4 hours a day and getting great progress and now to have this crap hold me up for a good few weeks.. just pisses me off.

Sorry for the rant.. but keeping motivated and working my ass off on everything that I can despite that. I've got my drastically thicker wraps ready for use once my fists work and I won't let that happen again. Just.. really impatient..

Chr0nic
06-21-2009, 08:26 AM
when im aching is amps me up, makes me want to strain the muscle even more
it's like when you have a bad headache and you just give yourself a slap/punch or somethin
only the muscle pain does'nt bother me as much as a headache

Pecs
06-21-2009, 08:43 AM

watch ROCKY 3and 4 ....:boxing: