View Full Version : best boxing book you've ever read????

JMM-PAC
06-14-2009, 03:24 PM
well what is it, it can be anything from autobiographies to books written on fighters etc!

Richie-G
06-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Sugar Ray Robinsons autobiography

1SILVA
06-14-2009, 03:57 PM
well what is it, it can be anything from autobiographies to books written on fighters etc!

Ali biography by Thomas Hauser
King Of The World by David Remnick
The recent Four Kings
Ray Robinson bio by Dave Anderson
Teddy Atlas autobiography.

Those are the five best boxing books I ever read

ironalex
06-14-2009, 04:03 PM
my personal favourite is 16th round

GJC
06-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Lots of good books out there, the one I find myself reading the most over the years is "In This Corner"

Richie-G
06-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Another great one is Boxing: A Cultural History by Kassia Boddy, but its hard as **** to read lol, really challenging but very interesting.

Pretty Boy1
06-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Four Kings by George Kimball
Ali by Thomas Hauser
Rocky Marciano by Russell Sullivan

3 best boxing books I've read. Evander Holyfield's autobiography was decent but not as good as these above!!

JAB5239
06-15-2009, 12:55 AM
I really liked Joe Loius' autobiography and Thomas Hausers biography about Ali. "Unforgivable blackness" was a very good read too. "Charley Burley and the black murderers row" was pretty good. But the best boxing book I've read is Douglas Century's biography "Barney Ross". As well as being an all time great fighter Ross was a fascinating person as well as a decorated war hero. I highly recomend this book to anyone who enjoys or is interested in boxing history.

sweetpotato
06-15-2009, 01:37 AM
meldrick taylor's book it was out recently

alishuffle
06-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Ali bio by Thomas Hauser
Flight of the Hawk by Aaron Pryor
The Holyfield Way
Dempsey by Jack Dempsey
And the one I haven't been able to find but keep hearing is a good book is Victory Over Myself by Floyd Patterson

Rockin'
06-16-2009, 03:01 PM
"Beyond the Ring" hands down the best boxing book out there................Rockin':boxing:

portuge puncher
06-16-2009, 03:24 PM
raging bull, story by jake lamotta

JAB5239
06-16-2009, 03:52 PM
raging bull, story by jake lamotta

Raging Bull was decent, but its so overated now. Has anybody read Graziano's "Somebody up there likes me"? I haven't read that nor seen the movie.

JMM-PAC
06-16-2009, 05:33 PM
.................................................. .................................................. .

GJC
06-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Raging Bull was decent, but its so overated now. Has anybody read Graziano's "Somebody up there likes me"? I haven't read that nor seen the movie.
Seen the movie but never read the book. Movie was good but would be terribly dated now, certainly not as good as raging bull.

Bigdaddy_Vh
06-16-2009, 06:12 PM
would LOVE to read floyd pattersons book...he was one of the good guys.

holyfields book was good.

i read joe fraziers boxing instructional book. pretty darn decent.

there are two sugar ray robinson books that ive read. One was excellent. One was written either by the editor of Jet magazine or Ebony magazine and was the most racist garbage i have ever read. dont remember the titles of each off hand.

unforgivable blackness was an EXCELLENT read. the dvd is good too.

JAB5239
06-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Seen the movie but never read the book. Movie was good but would be terribly dated now, certainly not as good as raging bull.

Thats fine by me. "The harder they fall" is one of my favorite boxing movies so I don't think it would effect me so much. Thanks man.

GJC
06-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Thats fine by me. "The harder they fall" is one of my favorite boxing movies so I don't think it would effect me so much. Thanks man.
Paul Newman was the star and a bit of trivia I believe it was Steve McQueen debut though blink and you'll miss him! Must be somewhere to catch it or download it. Did look for the book a couple of years ago but it was out of print and the 2nd hand copies were prohibitively expensive.

mickey malone
06-17-2009, 10:19 AM
Facing Ali was impossible to put down..
Another great read is King Of The Gypsies, the memoirs of bare knuckle fighter, Bartley Gorman.. It tends to exaggerate in places, but it's also very atmospheric & captures certain moments brilliantly..

GJC
06-17-2009, 10:56 PM
I really liked Joe Loius' autobiography and Thomas Hausers biography about Ali. "Unforgivable blackness" was a very good read too. "Charley Burley and the black murderers row" was pretty good. But the best boxing book I've read is Douglas Century's biography "Barney Ross". As well as being an all time great fighter Ross was a fascinating person as well as a decorated war hero. I highly recomend this book to anyone who enjoys or is interested in boxing history.
Jab,
You read "In This Corner"?
Terrific book, I'm sure Graziano is in it.

GJC
06-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Facing Ali was impossible to put down..
Another great read is King Of The Gypsies, the memoirs of bare knuckle fighter, Bartley Gorman.. It tends to exaggerate in places, but it's also very atmospheric & captures certain moments brilliantly..
Not read Facing Ali always been one I pick up and put down, might have to give it a punt. Not sure about Bartley Gorman, heard he is a bit of a bull ****ter to be honest

`STEELHEAD
06-18-2009, 01:04 AM
F.X. Toole. he wrote a book of short stories called" Storys From The Corner".
one of the short stories was "million Dollar Baby".
i tell you the guy started late but you can smell the sweat and leather.
he wrote Rope Burns and Pound For Pound.
if you grew up around L.A. you'll rcognize some spots.
http://nymoral.blogspot.com/2009/03/fx-toole-pound-for-pound.html

JAB5239
06-18-2009, 01:17 AM
Jab,
You read "In This Corner"?
Terrific book, I'm sure Graziano is in it.

Not yet my friend, but I'll be on the look out for it. Right now Im reading the book "Irish thunder" about Micky Ward, with the Duran biography on deck. I'll be sure to look for it when Im done with those though. Thanks for the heads up!

GJC
06-18-2009, 11:00 AM
Not yet my friend, but I'll be on the look out for it. Right now Im reading the book "Irish thunder" about Micky Ward, with the Duran biography on deck. I'll be sure to look for it when Im done with those though. Thanks for the heads up!
Written by Peter Heller in around 1970. Basically Liston and Marciano died in 69 without ever really giving their story so Heller decided to go round interviewing as many living world champions as he could. Around 40 fighters a chapter on each. Whilst I don't buy into the theory that everyone has a book in them I certainly believe that everyone has a chapter. Lots of the big fighters in it such as Armstrong, Moore and Robinson but the real gems for me are people like Zivic and Gunboat Smith. Spent most of the morning trying to find my dog eared copy with no success. Trust me you'll love it, if I have a criticism is the fact that no fighter in it ever lost a fight! Lots of guys in there that wouldn't warrant a book on them so its a chance to hear their story.

mickey malone
06-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Not read Facing Ali always been one I pick up and put down, might have to give it a punt. Not sure about Bartley Gorman, heard he is a bit of a bull ****ter to be honest
Yeah... I may have used the word exaggeration liberally..
I know a few people that knew him (while alive)... The toughest bloke in the pub would have probably been more appropriate, but the nostalgia surrounding "The Lord Of The Lanes" certainly captured my imagination...
Maybe I'm just an old romantic at heart, but there are some tough old hombres lying low within the deepest English countryside..

GJC
06-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Yeah... I may have used the word exaggeration liberally..
I know a few people that knew him (while alive)... The toughest bloke in the pub would have probably been more appropriate, but the nostalgia surrounding "The Lord Of The Lanes" certainly captured my imagination...
Maybe I'm just an old romantic at heart, but there are some tough old hombres lying low within the deepest English countryside..
The one who most reckon was the toughest unlicensed fighter was Cliff Fields who didn't exactly have the most stellar pro boxing career, in fact his career was ended by Richard Dunn. It seems that any of them who had any kind of boxing background flourished such as Fields or Pretty Boy. From what I understand Gorman wasn't even heard of by most of the guys he reckoned he fought or who avoided him. Been to a few unlicensed fights and it is really just like watching 2 guys fighting in a pub, not for me.

Kid McCoy
06-18-2009, 12:53 PM
The one who most reckon was the toughest unlicensed fighter was Cliff Fields who didn't exactly have the most stellar pro boxing career, in fact his career was ended by Richard Dunn. It seems that any of them who had any kind of boxing background flourished such as Fields or Pretty Boy. From what I understand Gorman wasn't even heard of by most of the guys he reckoned he fought or who avoided him. Been to a few unlicensed fights and it is really just like watching 2 guys fighting in a pub, not for me.

I believe it was Cliff Fields who also beat Lenny McLean. McLean was lethal "on the cobbles", as he put it, but in a semi-legal setting (ie with a ring, gloves and some rules), he did get beaten a few times by guys with decent boxing skills. Joey Pile said he would have fought McLean in the ring, but never a street fight, where he was too dangerous.

On a side note, Shaw once had an unlicensed fight with Ron Stander, who as a pro beat Earnie Shavers and fought Joe Frazier for the title. Shaw by his own admission couldn't even put a dent in Stander, and admitted he only won because Stander had broken a couple of ribs a few days previously. He called him the toughest man he ever faced.

JAB5239
06-18-2009, 01:11 PM
Written by Peter Heller in around 1970. Basically Liston and Marciano died in 69 without ever really giving their story so Heller decided to go round interviewing as many living world champions as he could. Around 40 fighters a chapter on each. Whilst I don't buy into the theory that everyone has a book in them I certainly believe that everyone has a chapter. Lots of the big fighters in it such as Armstrong, Moore and Robinson but the real gems for me are people like Zivic and Gunboat Smith. Spent most of the morning trying to find my dog eared copy with no success. Trust me you'll love it, if I have a criticism is the fact that no fighter in it ever lost a fight! Lots of guys in there that wouldn't warrant a book on them so its a chance to hear their story.

Speaking of Zivic...here a little piece of info I didn't know till reading "Charley Burley and the black murderers row"....did you know Zivic actually bought Burleys contract a one point and had control of him, keeping him from a welterweight title shot even though Charley had already beaten Zivic twice? I never knew that till reading that book.

GJC
06-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Speaking of Zivic...here a little piece of info I didn't know till reading "Charley Burley and the black murderers row"....did you know Zivic actually bought Burleys contract a one point and had control of him, keeping him from a welterweight title shot even though Charley had already beaten Zivic twice? I never knew that till reading that book.
Yes that does ring a bell though can't remember the circumstances. Fascinating fighter Zivic, seriously tough and dirty but have to respect that he beat a pretty much peak Armstrong. As for trivia I believe that no world champion lost as many fights as Zivic. How is that Burley book keep meaning to get it?

JAB5239
06-19-2009, 06:48 AM
Yes that does ring a bell though can't remember the circumstances. Fascinating fighter Zivic, seriously tough and dirty but have to respect that he beat a pretty much peak Armstrong. As for trivia I believe that no world champion lost as many fights as Zivic. How is that Burley book keep meaning to get it?

Its a very good book with much information and facts that are not widely known. But it does get somewhat monotonous. To me, I've read most of the articles and newspaper accounts, I want to know about the person. It gives you that, but it doesn't get into it as much as I'd like. Still, its a must read for any amateur boxing historian.

Richie-G
06-19-2009, 06:57 AM
as someone said earlier i think the bartley gorman book is a really good read.

mickey malone
06-19-2009, 09:38 AM
Cliff fields did beat Lenny McClean (who beat Roy Shaw)
McClean never admitted or mentioned this in his book..

Just seen the post by Kid McKoy (all very true)

Miburo
06-19-2009, 10:08 AM
"Championship Fighting" by Jack Dempsey.

GJC
06-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Cliff fields did beat Lenny McClean (who beat Roy Shaw)
McClean never admitted or mentioned this in his book..

Just seen the post by Kid McKoy (all very true)
Lot of ommissions in Lenny's book, shame because he has edited one of the funniest storys as it doesn't particularily put him in a good light.

mickey malone
06-21-2009, 04:59 PM
Lot of ommissions in Lenny's book, shame because he has edited one of the funniest storys as it doesn't particularily put him in a good light.
Doubt if a book called 'THE LOSER' would have sold too many copies...
I suppose, once the henchmen pass on, the river runs dry...
Joey Pyle was the only man to make any serious dough out of "all that" caper...

GJC
06-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Doubt if a book called 'THE LOSER' would have sold too many copies...
I suppose, once the henchmen pass on, the river runs dry...
Joey Pyle was the only man to make any serious dough out of "all that" caper...
Don't know I wouldn't mind being a behind pretty boy

mickey malone
06-22-2009, 07:46 AM
Don't know I wouldn't mind being a behind pretty boy
Roy was recently ripped off for most of his savings by a woman he shacked up with..

Kid McCoy
06-22-2009, 01:18 PM
Roy was recently ripped off for most of his savings by a woman he shacked up with..

Shaw took the woman to court (!!!) and a few months ago won a judgment against her. She was ordered to repay the money plus damages.

GJC
06-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Yes did hear something about this ages ago.

The Iron Man
06-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Im going on a massive biography session at the moment, a few years ago i read 3 tyson bio's.

Tyson biography by paul weller was brilliant
Iron Mike Tyson - Was a mash of different articles and chapters of books written about tyson, was a interesting read.
Tyson, the nature of the beast - was written by a prof. or doctor, i didnt really enjoy this as much. Its really focused on racism and how it was for ever present in Tysons life.

Currently reading: Sonny Liston: His Life, Strife and the Phantom Punch by Rob Steele

Then im going to read:
King of the World: Muhammad Ali and the Rise of the American Hero by David Remnick

CCobra
06-23-2009, 02:53 AM
The Manassa Mauler - Randy Roberts.

Excellent book. Very informative and the information is well researched.

mickey malone
06-23-2009, 03:22 AM
Shaw took the woman to court (!!!) and a few months ago won a judgment against her. She was ordered to repay the money plus damages.
Cheers Kid... Been out of the UK for a while now (living/working in Thailand)

That was the last I heard... A blonde bimbo from Romford, probably clad in a denim skirt, white stilletoes & 30 odd years his junior, took a massive liberty...
I'm surprised she didn't end up wearing 'Irish Sunglasses' (2 black eyes lol)

mickey malone
06-23-2009, 03:46 AM
Im going on a massive biography session at the moment, a few years ago i read 3 tyson bio's.

Tyson biography by paul weller was brilliant
Iron Mike Tyson - Was a mash of different articles and chapters of books written about tyson, was a interesting read.
Tyson, the nature of the beast - was written by a prof. or doctor, i didnt really enjoy this as much. Its really focused on racism and how it was for ever present in Tysons life.

Currently reading: Sonny Liston: His Life, Strife and the Phantom Punch by Rob Steele

Then im going to read:
King of the World: Muhammad Ali and the Rise of the American Hero by David Remnick
Your Top 10 ATG H/W list is very good...
The only thing's I'd change is: Tunney for Foreman at no 10 (Foreman no8)
Ali swops with Louis (by a hairs breath)
With Dempsey at no 11...

Some fine tinkering cos I'm bored at the mo..lol
One of the most accurate lists, I've seen though (in my opinion)

The Iron Man
06-23-2009, 06:49 AM
Your Top 10 ATG H/W list is very good...
The only thing's I'd change is: Tunney for Foreman at no 10 (Foreman no8)
Ali swops with Louis (by a hairs breath)
With Dempsey at no 11...

Some fine tinkering cos I'm bored at the mo..lol
One of the most accurate lists, I've seen though (in my opinion)

Cheers man!. Its always very difficult to make these sort of lists and everyones opinion is going to differ slightly!. Feel free to post your list in the top10 heavys thread.

mickey malone
06-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Cheers man!. Its always very difficult to make these sort of lists and everyones opinion is going to differ slightly!. Feel free to post your list in the top10 heavys thread.
I submitted a list, not long after it first started....
Even my own opinions change from time to time lol...
You'll always find the same fighters, but maybe in a slightly different order lol...
I'm older than you, & maybe the 'old' dimentias starting to settle in!
But seeing Holmes at no3 immediately caught my attention...
He simply IS the 3rd best AT HW... Regards MM

Roger Mellie
06-23-2009, 01:44 PM
The Black Lights by Thomas Hauser. I read this years ago and still think its one of the best.

The Surgeon
06-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Not a boxing book but worth mentioning as i thought it was the dogs bollocks, Watch My Back by Geoff Thompson. Really Good read.

I have a Rocky Marciano Biography that aint bad either, my worst has to be American Boy by Oscar it sucks pretty pretty Bad!

mickey malone
06-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Not a boxing book but worth mentioning as i thought it was the dogs bollocks, Watch My Back by Geoff Thompson. Really Good read.

I have a Rocky Marciano Biography that aint bad either, my worst has to be American Boy by Oscar it sucks pretty pretty Bad!
Geoff Thompson..... The MA man (enforcer) from Coventry???

If so... I've read it....
His lifetime experiences as a Martial artist/doorman/minder etc

Don't know him, but his reputation preceeds him... Has max respect within the fold...

Good read to... Seems like 'old school'

The Surgeon
06-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Geoff Thompson..... The MA man (enforcer) from Coventry???

If so... I've read it....
His lifetime experiences as a Martial artist/doorman/minder etc

Don't know him, but his reputation preceeds him... Has max respect within the fold...

Good read to... Seems like 'old school'

The very one Mickey, guy seems bad ass. Heard one of the other celeb hard case types saying Geoff was the baddest of em all! Cant remember who it was, Cass Pennant mabey i think?

Seems a cool guy too, just real hard!

fight_professor
06-24-2009, 07:28 PM
Ghosts of Manila is a great book.

Hagler★
06-26-2009, 04:15 AM
http://img.tesco.com/pi/Books/L/71/9780071628471.jpg
Angelo Dundee My View From The Corner
Just finished this, goes through the stages of his career from Willie Pastrano, to Ali, to Leonard (Yet more evidence this guy was a weasel) and ends with Foreman.
Well narrated nothing really new but a nice easy read

Infern0
06-26-2009, 04:17 AM
has anyone read Holyfields auto?

GJC
06-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Currently reading That Night in The Garden. Very good, just random fights from Madison Square Garden. Louis v Walcott, Cooney v Norton, Hopkins v Trinidad, Duran v Moore, Greb v Tunney, Bowe v Golota. Real mixed bag but well researched and written, worth a go