View Full Version : What age did Gene Tunney start boxing???

JMM-PAC
06-12-2009, 11:04 AM
well he mustn't of been that young, as he started in the services. anyone give my his age when he first starting boxing????????

Kinetic Linking
06-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Nah, he started super young. His dad gave him boxing gloves to learn how to fend off bullies at school when he was a very, very, very small child. The rest is history. He had various jobs and whatnot but was a fighter from an early age.

I've seen pictures of him as a schoolkid and he was super tiny. My take on his career is that he learned how to defend himself as an ubermidget, woke up one day as a heavyweight and said to himself "oh man everyone's in deep **** now."

JMM-PAC
06-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Nah, he started super young. His dad gave him boxing gloves to learn how to fend off bullies at school when he was a very, very, very small child. The rest is history. He had various jobs and whatnot but was a fighter from an early age.

I've seen pictures of him as a schoolkid and he was super tiny. My take on his career is that he learned how to defend himself as an ubermidget, woke up one day as a heavyweight and said to himself "oh man everyone's in deep **** now."

interesting, just watchen a old espn classic about him and they said he started boxing in the army, thats why i thought he started around 18.