View Full Version : Who knows the most about boxing around here???

JMM-PAC
06-10-2009, 07:02 PM
who knows the most about boxing around these parts????

fire some names at me!!!!

billionaire
06-10-2009, 07:40 PM
i do, ask me anything....

STILL_DETOX
06-10-2009, 07:51 PM
gerald mcclellan

portuge puncher
06-10-2009, 09:28 PM
i would say me, lol

but its probbably "The great AA"

them_apples
06-10-2009, 09:41 PM
i would say me, lol

but its probbably "The great AA"

yea no doubt, the former TheManchine knows just about everything

There are a lot of people on the history forum that know a lot,

Southpaw, Poet, Benny Leonard, JaB, Hawkins, Terry A

sorry if i missed any

The Iron Man
06-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Id say these lot:

The Great A
Poet
Jab
Hawkins
hhascup

i probably missed a few aswell

Ziggy Stardust
06-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Personally I'd say Southpaw and The Great A: They come up with source material I've only dreamed of seeing. Let me put in a plug too for Battling Nelson since I haven't seen him mentioned yet.

Poet

Kinetic Linking
06-11-2009, 12:59 AM
The Great A has a ton of knowledge but I usually get the feeling that he's synthesized it wrong. He knows all the minutae but I disagree with how he sees the big picture.

Obama
06-11-2009, 01:04 AM
Id say these lot:

The Great A
Poet
Jab
Hawkins
hhascup

i probably missed a few aswell

Henry uses this Forum? I know him through another forum and keep in touch with him through email. I have him read my personal research articles.

Richie-G
06-11-2009, 05:33 AM
i dont really post on history that much but of the posts that i have seen, jab and poet seem the most knowledgeable.

then again im not really familiar with some of the others.

ironalex
06-11-2009, 07:32 AM
think southpaw tbh, kid knows his ****.

Ziggy Stardust
06-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Henry uses this Forum? I know him through another forum and keep in touch with him through email. I have him read my personal research articles.

I've never seen Henry post here. On other forums I have but it's been a while.

Poet

Ziggy Stardust
06-11-2009, 09:24 AM
The Great A has a ton of knowledge but I usually get the feeling that he's synthesized it wrong. He knows all the minutae but I disagree with how he sees the big picture.

The "big picture" being what?

Poet

QUID
06-11-2009, 09:28 AM
Poet, because he is real old.

talip bin osman
06-11-2009, 09:28 AM
poet is a very knowlegeable fan of the sport...

along with his arch-rival...

london ring rules...

great posters...

The Iron Man
06-11-2009, 10:53 AM

He used to post a fair bit, but haven't seen him post a lot recently!. I remember having discussions with in the Top 10 Heavies thread spoke to him through e-mail as well. I thought he deserved a mention even tho he doesn't post much anymore he was very knowledgeable and never got offensive with his posts.

Slimey Limey
06-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Southpaw actually knows nothing. He is a poor mans version of Girlmachine. Copy pasting info doesn't make you the most knowledgable, nor being a cherry picking smartarse.
I would have to go with Londonringrules for present. Years ago you had Yogi, Sabbath, Heckler, Yaman, RockyMarcianoFan, Southpaw Stinger and Butterfly etc.

THE REED™
06-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Thread Stealer, Manchine, Southpaw16

black.ink
06-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Manchine (GreatA), Southpaw16, Southpaw Stinger, Yogi (does he still post on here), BatTheMan (Battling Nelson), Jab, Poet and LondonRingRules.

They're pretty much the library of Boxing Scene.

Southpaw16BF
06-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Southpaw actually knows nothing. He is a poor mans version of Girlmachine. Copy pasting info doesn't make you the most knowledgable, nor being a cherry picking smartarse.
I would have to go with Londonringrules for present. Years ago you had Yogi, Sabbath, Heckler, Yaman, RockyMarcianoFan, Southpaw Stinger and Butterfly etc.

This coming from a poster that think's Rocky Marcaino's knockdowns at the hands of Archie Moore and Jersey Joe Walcott were slips.

And the reason Antonio Tarver would beat Eddie Mustafa Muhammad in a dream match is because Eddie Mustafa Muhammad has such a redicilous stupid ass name as you put it.

This also coming from a poster who thinks Ray Robinson is overrated and that Leon Spinks, George Chuvalo and Chuck Wepner were great wins for Ali.

You are truley one of the worst posters around here, I have forgot more about boxing than you will ever know.

Slimey Limey
06-11-2009, 04:22 PM
This coming from a poster that think's Rocky Marcaino's knockdowns at the hands of Archie Moore and Jersey Joe Walcott were slips.

And the reason Antonio Tarver would beat Eddie Mustafa Muhammad in a dream match is because Eddie Mustafa Muhammad has such a redicilous stupid ass name as you put it.

This also coming from a poster who thinks Ray Robinson is overrated and that Leon Spinks, George Chuvalo and Chuck Wepner were great wins for Ali.

You are truley one of the worst posters around here, I have forgot more about boxing than you will ever know.

Aww, are you mad kid? You feel like hitting your monitor don't you?

Good. That means I got to ya. Learn to establish yourself in an original matter and don't try to copy yourself exactly like someone else. I first thought you were an alt of Manmachine but now I know you're just a child that craves the attention and respect he gets.

Ziggy Stardust
06-11-2009, 04:29 PM

:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump

mickey malone
06-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Southpaw 16 & GJC know their boxing...

GJC
06-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Southpaw 16 & GJC know their boxing...
Bless you for that.
Lots of good posters in here and lots of bad posters. The ones that probably trouble me the most are the ones who are obviously knowledgable but seem to come up with the most bizarre conclusions based on on that knowledge. That said differing opinions do make for interesting forums and it would be a dull world if we all thought the same.
A little more humour from some, a little more politness and a little less criticism of fighters would improve things. Remember whether you like or rate a fighter it is rare to find a coward who steps through the ropes and that alone deserves respect.

ßringer
06-14-2009, 07:01 PM
There's tons of educated boxing fans around these parts.

Off the top of my head ;

Poet, Jab, Hawkins, Benny Leonard, LondonRingRules (though I tend to disagree with him more often than not), Silencers, The Manchine, Southpaw, Thread Stealer, and tons of others.

There's actually a lot of really informed boxing fans around here.

You just have to take note everytime you bump into one. :fing02:

mickey malone
06-17-2009, 04:37 AM
Bless you for that.
Lots of good posters in here and lots of bad posters. The ones that probably trouble me the most are the ones who are obviously knowledgable but seem to come up with the most bizarre conclusions based on on that knowledge. That said differing opinions do make for interesting forums and it would be a dull world if we all thought the same.
A little more humour from some, a little more politness and a little less criticism of fighters would improve things. Remember whether you like or rate a fighter it is rare to find a coward who steps through the ropes and that alone deserves respect.
Precisely! I think many posters do have predjudicial issues, as well as humour bypass surgery.. The numb nuts are also very easy to crack.. It takes all sorts to make a world, & I never cease to be entertained by some of the tantrums thrown when people are proven wrong.. Like those who climb into the ring, I prefer to hold my hands up.. Regards MM

Chr0nic
06-17-2009, 05:22 AM
poet looks at alot of fights, but it still does'nt stop him from being a raging idiot when it comes to the subject

rorymac
05-22-2012, 07:30 PM
hhascup objectively knows the most

Apart from that legend...

Poet, JAB, GJC(RIP), Barnburner, BatTheMan aka Battling Nelson. I'm sure I've forgotten some obvious ones. Dan Hamza know his stuff?

lazy
05-22-2012, 07:52 PM
The old folks here. No offense meant by that.

New England
05-22-2012, 07:55 PM
The old folks here. No offense meant by that.

barnburner is 16

might be 17 if he had a birthday
the youngsters tend to do that, you know; age.

dan_cov
05-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Hard to say when Google is only one click away.
Are we talking about boxing history? Technique or what?

Overall the people I'd say was the most clued up off the top of my head.

Irondanhamza, Poet, Barnburner, that guy that left after he got his personal info posted?

I'd say quite a lot on here actually when they aren't trolling and sh1t.

New England
05-22-2012, 08:09 PM
to try and answer the OP, it seems as if there are quite a few terrific boxing heads out there

many of them have certain areas of expertise

90's - today you have guys like imdazed, jro, etc

around here you have the usual suspects with high level historic knowledge

danburnergjcjabpoetobamagreatAbenny
and a bunch of other great ones that i wont be able to mention specifically

you have resident aussie's from 1900-1930 expert mcgoorty

hhascup, literally has no use for boxrec

there's a few russians who i use to sharpen up on my current amateur knowledge because they know the scene in and out.

some guys who fight or have fought extensively.

and then you have the dedicated trolls
they guys who clearly know a lot about boxing and use it for high level trolling

sctrojans is their lord and master. he's the best.
he doesn't post here enough anymore and it's devastating.

Ziggy Stardust
05-22-2012, 08:11 PM
to try and answer the OP it seems as if there are quite a few terrific boxing heads out there

many of them have certain areas of expertise

90's - today you have guys like imdazed, jro, etc

around here you have the usual suspects

danburnergjcjabpoetobamagreatAbenny
and a bunch of other great ones that i wont be able to mention specifically

you have resident aussie's from 1900-1930 expert mcgoorty

hhascup, literally has no use for boxrec

and then you have the dedicated trolls
they guys who clearly know a lot about boxing and use it for high level trolling

sctrojans is their lord and master.

I think Harry probably knows more about boxing than all the rest of us put together :chuckle9:

Scott9945
05-22-2012, 08:27 PM
I think Harry probably knows more about boxing than all the rest of us put together :chuckle9:

I have no doubt that he is by far the best at producing historical data. If it happened in boxing, HH knows about it.

JAB5239
05-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Someone make a list of history section posters and I'll letter grade them with comments.

hhascup
05-22-2012, 09:09 PM
I just want to say thank you to everyone but there many very good posters on this site.

I wish I had more time to post but I am busy running the New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame (27th year), the NJ Diamond Gloves (25th year), the NJ Assoc of USA Boxing (3rd year), Ring Announcing 1 or 2 nights a week, I am the boxing Historian for Ring 8 of New York and I run there web site, I am an editor for BoxRec, a charter member of IBRO, a few months ago I rung the bell at Bert Sugar's funeral and the very next day I made presentations (talks) at the 1st ever New York Boxing Hall of Fame for Tony Canzoneri, Gil Clancy, Jake LaMotta, Benny Leonard and Sugar Ray Robinson. I am also on the Modern and Old-Timers Committee that votes for the IBHOF.

Here's a few web sites that will tell you some of the other things I have been doing.

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Henry_Hascup
http://www.***********.com/18563-henry-hascup.html
http://www.usaboxingnj.com/
http://www.ourlic.com/cgi-bin/gallery_retrieve_news_photo_with_caption.cgi?domai n=ourlic.com&gallerysection=sports&article_id=2010121901&show_edit=yes&number_of_photos_to_display=500&listingsimages_id=16822
http://www.northjersey.com/sports/106843808_Hascup_king_of_the_Hall.html

http://www.worldlibertytv.org/nyc/?p=3825
http://www.wdyt.com/henry.shtml

rorymac
05-22-2012, 09:27 PM
I just want to say thank you to everyone but there many very good posters on this site.

I wish I had more time to post but I am busy running the New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame (27th year), the NJ Diamond Gloves (25th year), the NJ Assoc of USA Boxing (3rd year), Ring Announcing 1 or 2 nights a week, I am the boxing Historian for Ring 8 of New York and I run there web site, I am an editor for BoxRec, a charter member of IBRO, a few months ago I rung the bell at Bert Sugar's funeral and the very next day I made presentations (talks) at the 1st ever New York Boxing Hall of Fame for Tony Canzoneri, Gil Clancy, Jake LaMotta, Benny Leonard and Sugar Ray Robinson. I am also on the Modern and Old-Timers Committee that votes for the IBHOF.

Here's a few web sites that will tell you some of the other things I have been doing.

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Henry_Hascup
http://www.***********.com/18563-henry-hascup.html
http://www.usaboxingnj.com/
http://www.ourlic.com/cgi-bin/gallery_retrieve_news_photo_with_caption.cgi?domai n=ourlic.com&gallerysection=sports&article_id=2010121901&show_edit=yes&number_of_photos_to_display=500&listingsimages_id=16822
http://www.northjersey.com/sports/106843808_Hascup_king_of_the_Hall.html

http://www.worldlibertytv.org/nyc/?p=3825
http://www.wdyt.com/henry.shtml
This is cool.

To JAB:

GJC

Barnburner

Benny

SCTrojansBaby

Poet

New England

Dan Hamza

Battling Nelson

TheGreatA

rorymac (don't be harsh on me I'm just a little boy)

McGoorty

Apologies to anyone missed

New England
05-22-2012, 09:46 PM
Someone make a list of history section posters and I'll letter grade them with comments.

how would you react if you found out that vitali klitschko lurked the history section?

JAB5239
05-22-2012, 09:49 PM
This is cool.

To JAB:

GJC

Barnburner

Benny

SCTrojansBaby

TPoet

New England

Dan Hamza

Battling Nelson

TheGreatA

McGoorty

History knowledge or current?

rorymac
05-22-2012, 09:52 PM
History knowledge or current?
General, holistic reviews? Up to you

JAB5239
05-22-2012, 09:53 PM
how would you react if you found out that vitali klitschko lurked the history section?

I think that would be great. I like Vitaly, just not the morons who overrate him and his competition.

Ziggy Stardust
05-22-2012, 09:55 PM

He's certainly welcome if he wants.....I don't doubt that he'd be infinitely more classy and respectful of past greats than his demented knob-slobberers.

Poet

New England
05-22-2012, 09:58 PM
lou dibella lurks NSB evidently

rorymac
05-22-2012, 09:59 PM
lou dibella lurks NSB evidently
Yeah lol. I know if I were in the public eye I'd come to places like this. I'd wanna know what people are saying about me.

Capaedia
05-23-2012, 12:44 AM

At his age he'd probably delegate Wlad to deal with him.

JAB5239
05-23-2012, 01:11 AM
At his age he'd probably delegate Wlad to deal with him.

Lol, post of the year so far!! :lol1:

Anthony342
05-23-2012, 04:23 AM
Yeah Poet, Jab, HHascup, definitely some others I'm leaving out. I've been wanting to say this for a while now and figure this was the best thread to do so. I am astounded by the level of knowledge of boxing and its history I see here. I really enjoy coming here to learn more about it from you guys. It's just too bad the sport isn't as big as it used to be when there were more undisputed champions and major network coverage and more attention was paid to boxers in the summer Olympics. I remember Teddy Atlas saying on Friday Night Fights that if Andre Ward were coming up a decade or two ago, they'd be talking more about him on television as a highly touted prospect expected to go far in the pros, but we don't even hear much about Olympic boxers anymore.

When guys like Mayweather and Pacquiao retire, will there even be anyone left that people will pay to watch on pay per view? Maybe Miguel Cotto, but I don't see anyone around today getting the buyrates of guys like Mayweather, Pacquiao, De La Hoya, etc. And I guess that means there won't be as many big fights that celebrities will buy tickets to see, whether they're fans or just want to be seen on TV.

Rossman
05-23-2012, 05:31 AM
Most of the long time regulars in this section seem to know alot. Some know about one thing and another knows alot about something else. I would put the regulars here up against all the guys in the nsb for boxing knowledge.

MRBOOMER
05-23-2012, 04:52 PM

I think the leon spinks win was goo based on the fact Ali didn't have to come back and fight him being so past it but he showed heart so it was more like great inspirational win in my eyes but in terms of quality it was sh1t

Barn
05-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Everyone who posts here semi-regularly is awesome and can be learned from, thanks to anyone who gave me a shout.

There's people who don't post much here as well that know a good bit of history but prefer the current side of it.

After the JMM-Pac fight I became disillusioned with modern boxing to an extent, then the fight I was looking forward to in Khan vs Peterson is cancelled due to terosterone abuse? I was annoyed to say the least.

Scott9945
05-23-2012, 09:55 PM
I think the leon spinks win was goo based on the fact Ali didn't have to come back and fight him being so past it but he showed heart so it was more like great inspirational win in my eyes but in terms of quality it was sh1t

Not only was Spinks not very good (at least for a heavyweight champion), he barely trained for the Ali rematch. Everyone knew he was out binging on coke between the two fights.

TBear
05-24-2012, 01:05 AM
Everyone who posts here semi-regularly is awesome and can be learned from.

I agree with this. I sometimes assume everybody knows more than me so I may learn from them. Plus it keeps me out of trouble!

RINGG
05-24-2012, 03:01 AM
I agree with this. I sometimes assume everybody knows more than me so I may learn from them. Plus it keeps me out of trouble!

Funny but I thought of you when I seen this thread,:sombrero:

BennyST
05-24-2012, 06:06 AM
Everyone who posts here semi-regularly is awesome and can be learned from, thanks to anyone who gave me a shout.

There's people who don't post much here as well that know a good bit of history but prefer the current side of it.

After the JMM-Pac fight I became disillusioned with modern boxing to an extent, then the fight I was looking forward to in Khan vs Peterson is cancelled due to terosterone abuse? I was annoyed to say the least.

I think Marquez knows more about boxing than Pac personally. Pac probably knows more bible verses though.

JAB5239
05-24-2012, 06:38 AM
This is cool.

To JAB:

GJC

Barnburner

Benny

SCTrojansBaby

Poet

New England

Dan Hamza

Battling Nelson

TheGreatA

McGoorty

I shouldn't have opened my mouth because now I don't want to offend anyone. I will say this, as far as boxing history goes only three who post here (that Im familiar with) get A's for their knowledge. Hhascup gets the only A+ and both TheGreatA and McGrain get an A-. We got a few guys who I'd grade B+ and myself a 5 or 6 others I'd grade a B. Rory, I'd put you between C+ and B- with excellent potential based on your eagerness to learn and keep an open mind.

Spartacus Sully
05-24-2012, 06:59 AM
I shouldn't have opened my mouth because now I don't want to offend anyone. I will say this, as far as boxing history goes only three who post here (that Im familiar with) get A's for their knowledge. Hhascup gets the only A+ and both TheGreatA and McGrain get an A-. We got a few guys who I'd grade B+ and myself a 5 or 6 others I'd grade a B. Rory, I'd put you between C+ and B- with excellent potential based on your eagerness to learn and keep an open mind.

really? i would have given TheGreatA the A and the 3 others + mcgrain the a-, and i dont even know who the 3 others are, i just cant imagine any one other the Henry knowing more then TheGreatA.

Barn
05-24-2012, 10:47 AM
really? i would have given TheGreatA the A and the 3 others + mcgrain the a-, and i dont even know who the 3 others are, i just cant imagine any one other the Henry knowing more then TheGreatA.
McGrain spends most of his time at the dark side of the internet forums. If you lurk about there often as I do, he's clearly one of the most knowledgeable guys on the 'net.

Lots and lots of obscure fights on his youtube channel also.

rorymac
05-24-2012, 10:52 AM
Lol cheers I think you're being generous toward me

Barn
05-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Lol cheers I think you're being generous to me
f................................................

:luvbed:

rorymac
05-24-2012, 11:07 AM
f................................................

:luvbed:
u........................

Barn
05-24-2012, 11:08 AM
u........................
d.................................

rorymac
05-24-2012, 11:16 AM
d.................................
d............./

Anthony342
05-24-2012, 03:55 PM

That bold part would probably be me and I pretty much agree with that last paragraph too, but for me it probably happened around the time most boxers became content to just win one alphabet belt and not all 3 (later 4) or not a lineal or Ring title belt, therefore seem to have no desire to become undisputed champion, although sometimes they do want to but sometimes can't seem to get fights against other top contenders or other champions in their weight class. That was probably around the time I became disillusioned. And when most of the general public stopped caring about boxing. We don't even hear that much about American boxers coming out of the summer Olympics anymore. Years ago, Andre Ward probably would've been a bigger star, for example. You're definitely one of the others I forgot to include Barnburner.

them_apples
05-24-2012, 04:33 PM
The greatA knows his ****. Poet, Jab, New england are some others who know a lot.

I think I'm a decent poster, I try to be a realist but not all historians are realists so i run into flak now and then. However we can all learn from each other.

I'd pick theGreatA as my top choice though, he knows much more than me and seems to keep it real as well.

A lot of knowledgeable posters are the :"Harry Greb p4p best ever based on magazine articles type" which I classify as the same people who think Bruce lee would go 200-0 in professional boxing.

Roman Moreno
05-24-2012, 06:11 PM
IMO, TheGreatA, Nchristo, and IronDan are in my top 3...In any order. I think they're top 3.

IronDanHamza
05-25-2012, 08:58 AM
The greatA knows his ****. Poet, Jab, New england are some others who know a lot.

I think I'm a decent poster, I try to be a realist but not all historians are realists so i run into flak now and then. However we can all learn from each other.

I'd pick theGreatA as my top choice though, he knows much more than me and seems to keep it real as well.

A lot of knowledgeable posters are the :"Harry Greb p4p best ever based on magazine articles type" which I classify as the same people who think Bruce lee would go 200-0 in professional boxing.

The glaring difference to me in that comparison is Harry Greb isn't an actor and is a professional fighter who beat ATG's multiple times and has one of the best resumes ever.

Pretty much polar opposite to Bruce Lee.

rorymac
05-25-2012, 10:08 AM
The glaring difference to me in that comparison is Harry Greb isn't an actor and is a professional fighter who beat ATG's multiple times and has one of the best resumes ever.

Pretty much polar opposite to Bruce Lee.
This made me laugh :lol1:

The Iron Man
05-25-2012, 03:10 PM
There are many many great posters in the section. I came here to learn new things and share what I know. And so far I have learn't a hell of a lot from these guys.