View Full Version : Greatest trainers of all time

1SILVA
06-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Who of the following 10 do you consider to be the greatest trainer of all-time?

Eddie Futch
Gil Clancy
Angelo Dundee
Cus D'Amato
Freddie Roach
Ray Arcel
Emanuel Steward
Teddy Atlas
Nacho Beristain
Freddie Brown

Feel free to give some names that I may have missed out on

D-MiZe
06-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Cus D'Amato

#1Assassin
06-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Who of the following 10 do you consider to be the greatest trainer of all-time?

Eddie Futch
Gil Clancy
Angelo Dundee
Cus D'Amato
Freddie Roach
Ray Arcel
Emanuel Steward
Teddy Atlas
Nacho Beristain
Freddie Brown

Feel free to give some names that I may have missed out on

brother nazeem
floyd sr
roger may
lou duva
goosen
stoney :D

1SILVA
06-07-2009, 10:23 PM
brother nazeem
lou duva
goosen
stoney :D

Thank you. I also forgot Georgie Benton and Ronnie Shields

portuge puncher
06-07-2009, 10:26 PM
ray arcel, at one point or another he trained:

Ezzard Charles, Jim Braddock, Barney Ross, Bob Olin, Tony Zale, Billy Soose, Ceferino Garcia, Lou Brouillard, Teddy Yarosz, Freddie Steele, Jackie Kid Berg, Alfonso Frazier, Abe Goldstein, Frankie Genaro, Sixto Escobar, Charley Phil Rosenberg, Roberto Duran and Larry Holmes.

no trainer's resume tops that.

#1Assassin
06-07-2009, 10:28 PM

Ezzard Charles, Jim Braddock, Barney Ross, Bob Olin, Tony Zale, Billy Soose, Ceferino Garcia, Lou Brouillard, Teddy Yarosz, Freddie Steele, Jackie Kid Berg, Alfonso Frazier, Abe Goldstein, Frankie Genaro, Sixto Escobar, Charley Phil Rosenberg, Roberto Duran and Larry Holmes.

damn, i didnt know he trained half those guys. very impressive. my vote is still with steward though.

GJC
06-07-2009, 10:30 PM

My choice too.

GJC
06-07-2009, 10:30 PM
damn, i didnt know he trained half those guys. very impressive. my vote is still with steward though.
Steward in the modern era would be fair

Thread Stealer
06-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Teddy Atlas is being amazingly overrated if he's on this list.

Anyway, Ray Arcel, I guess.

nachorjj
06-07-2009, 11:06 PM
you forgot lou duva, amilcar bruza

Ziggy Stardust
06-07-2009, 11:12 PM
Eddie Futch.

The rest, in no particular order:

Ray Arcel
Manny Steward
Angelo Dundee
Jack Blackburn
George Benton
Don Turner
Tommy Brooks

A lot of other good ones out there too.

Poet

BG_Knocc_Out
06-07-2009, 11:24 PM
Ray Arcel. Duran, Benny, Holmes, etc.

bklynboy
06-08-2009, 12:18 AM
So, where do you find out who the trained who?

Ziggy Stardust
06-08-2009, 12:25 AM
So, where do you find out who the trained who?

I would think BoxRec would have the info.

Poet

bklynboy
06-08-2009, 12:31 AM
I would think BoxRec would have the info.

Poet

That's the first place I looked. And unless I'm missing something it's not listed there.

Ziggy Stardust
06-08-2009, 12:43 AM
That's the first place I looked. And unless I'm missing something it's not listed there.

Go to the Encyclopedia section of BoxRec and type in the name of trainer and it should give a list of fighters trained.

Poet

Abstraction
06-08-2009, 04:50 AM
lol?
Why is Nazeem not there (trainer of Hopkins and Mosley) but you got Teddy Atlas?

1SILVA
06-08-2009, 07:34 AM
lol?
Why is Nazeem not there (trainer of Hopkins and Mosley) but you got Teddy Atlas?

If I was to put Nazeem there, I'd also have to put Bouie Fisher there. Didn't Fisher train B-Hop for most of his brilliant career? I love nazeem and Fisher. Which one is better? Are they both better than Teddy?

mickyward5656
06-08-2009, 07:54 AM

ray was good but not the best. Eddy futch and angelo dundee were the two best in the sport. look at the world champs they trained.

bklynboy
06-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Go to the Encyclopedia section of BoxRec and type in the name of trainer and it should give a list of fighters trained.

Poet

Thanks Poet.

It would be nice boxrec this site was as cross-referenced as imdb.com, but I suppose I shouldn't look at a gift-horse in the mouth. :-)

Southpaw16BF
06-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Eddie Futch
Charley Goldman
Jackie Blackburn
Ray Arcel
Angelo Dundee
Emanuel Steward
Gil Clancy
Jesus Rivero
Freddie Brown
Freddie Roach
Nacho Beristain
Tommy Brooks
Don Turner
George Benton
Bouie Fisher
Amilcar Brusa
Brendan Ingle
Robert Alcazar
Ronnie Shields
Johnny Lewis
Dick Sadler
Buddy McGirt
Sam Solomon
Floyd Mayweather Sr
John David Jackson
Joe Goossen
Nazim Richardson
Jimmy Tibbs
Teddy Hayes
Enzo Calzaghe
Roy Jones Sr
Richie Giachetti
Billy Grahem
Pepe Correa
These are in no order, but plenty of good and excellent trainers on that list, plenty more but a good few.

GJC
06-08-2009, 02:22 PM
Eddie Futch
Charley Goldman
Jackie Blackburn
Ray Arcel
Angelo Dundee
Emanuel Steward
Gil Clancy
Jesus Rivero
Freddie Brown
Freddie Roach
Nacho Beristain
Tommy Brooks
Don Turner
George Benton
Bouie Fisher
Amilcar Brusa
Brendan Ingle
Robert Alcazar
Ronnie Shields
Johnny Lewis
Dick Sadler
Buddy McGirt
Sam Solomon
Floyd Mayweather Sr
John David Jackson
Joe Goossen
Nazim Richardson
Jimmy Tibbs
Teddy Hayes
Enzo Calzaghe
Roy Jones Sr
Richie Giachetti
Billy Grahem
Pepe Correa
These are in no order, but plenty of good and excellent trainers on that list, plenty more but a good few.
Did Archie Moore ever train fighters? I know he was in Foreman's camp but seemed to take very much a back seat to Sadler.

Southpaw16BF
06-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Did Archie Moore ever train fighters? I know he was in Foreman's camp but seemed to take very much a back seat to Sadler.

Yes Archie Moore did have a part in traning George Foreman alongside Dick Sadler. He was in the corner when Foreman won the World Heavyweight Title from Joe Frazier in 1973. He would also be in the corner when Foreman was stopped in 1974.

He once told George Foreman to tell Joe Frazier to ''Shut Up'' as Frazier was getting mouthy with Foreman in a prefight. Archie told Foreman to tell Frazier ''Shut Up'' and this will show him to not open his mouth, it worked.

Moore also had a brief stay with a young Cassuis Clay, Clay's stint at the Salt Mine was a brief one, as he refused to do the chores that were part of Moore's training regimen. Clay would later go on to stop Moore in 4 rounds in 1962.

Foreman always spoke in very high regard of Archie.

Southpaw16BF
06-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Picture of the two, do a very small picture......
http://www.antekprizering.com/foremanmoore7984t.jpeg

Archie in his training days......
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/boxing/news/1998/12/09/archie_moore/t1_moore_ap_01.jpg

GJC
06-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Yes Archie Moore did have a part in traning George Foreman alongside Dick Sadler. He was in the corner when Foreman won the World Heavyweight Title from Joe Frazier in 1973. He would also be in the corner when Foreman was stopped in 1974.

He once told George Foreman to tell Joe Frazier to ''Shut Up'' as Frazier was getting mouthy with Foreman in a prefight. Archie told Foreman to tell Frazier ''Shut Up'' and this will show him to not open his mouth, it worked.

Moore also had a brief stay with a young Cassuis Clay, Clay's stint at the Salt Mine was a brief one, as he refused to do the chores that were part of Moore's training regimen. Clay would later go on to stop Moore in 4 rounds in 1962.

Foreman always spoke in very high regard of Archie.
Pity he didn't get more active training I was always impressed with his knowledge I think he could have been a great trainer. Forgot about him with Clay in early days

Ziggy Stardust
06-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Here's one that might not immediatly come to mind: Bill Delaney. He trained both Jim Corbett and Jim Jeffries.

Poet

The Iron Man
06-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Its too difficult to pick one!

So, in no order my Top 5:

Cus D'Amato
Eddie Futch
Manny Stewart
Ray Arcel
Angelo Dundee

ironalex
06-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Ray Arcel defintly.

GTTofAK
06-08-2009, 08:22 PM
I'd go with Ray Arcel. However, from what I have seen Roach do with Pacquiao were the fates less cruel he could have become a legendary trainer. Instead his body is shutting down at such a young age. Were he able to go another 20 years who knows.

Miburo
06-09-2009, 04:21 AM
Going with Arcel.

Southpaw16BF
06-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Here's one that might not immediatly come to mind: Bill Delaney. He trained both Jim Corbett and Jim Jeffries.

Poet

Bill Delaney is a very underrated trainer........He was also Jeffries manager. A interesting story about Delaney is that after he fell out with Jeffries due to Jeffries failing to fight Bill Squires. When Jack Johnson was preparing for the Jeffries fight, Delaney was eager to help Johnson in preperation for it.

Bill would say ''Jeffries had no chance against the younger man. ''Besides he was scared of Johnson and always had been'' ''The mention of Johnson's name sends cold shivers down Mr Jeffries spine. He never wanted any of Johnson's game''

''When I was with Jeffries merely mentioning the black man's name was like casting a pail of cold water in Jeffries's face''