View Full Version : George Foreman's Son Set To Fight.....

Southpaw16BF
06-01-2009, 04:31 AM
George Foreman III - AKA "Monk" Foreman Set For Boxing Debut
by James Slater - Ronald Hearns, son of the legendary Tommy Hearns, wanted to try and follow in his dad's footsteps, so too did Julio Cesar Chavez Junior, Hector Camacho Junior and a number of other young men who happened to have brilliant fighters as fathers. Now, on June 6th in Louisiana, 26-year-old George Foreman III, AKA "Monk," takes his first step in attempting to emulate his all-time great boxing dad.

We all know how hugely successful "Big" George Foreman became at his chosen sport, capturing both an Olympic gold medal and the heavyweight championship of the world (twice).. "Monk", George's fifth son (all of whom were christened George) will not be expected to reach the same dizzying heights his power-punching pop did, but as boxing is evidently in the blood the 240-pounder who stands an impressive 6'5" wants to see what he can do all the same.

According to The Houston Chronicle, Foreman III began training to be a boxer in 2008, back when he was being filmed for the reality TV show entitled "Family Foreman." It seems, then, that "Monk" has had no real amateur career to speak of, and is going pro after learning what he could in the gym (at least nothing is available on the net pertaining to any amateur bouts).
Some fans will almost certainly point to the young Foreman's age, saying 26 is too old for a boxer to turn pro. But in today's world, 26 is not too advanced for a heavyweight to be turning pro, and let's not forget Larry Holmes and Lennox Lewis - two men who went on to become greats - turned pro at around the same age as Foreman will (24 for Lennox, 23 for Larry). And judging solely by looking at him, "Monk" is a young 26.

Foreman III is a smart guy, too. A 2006 college graduate, he works/worked as his father's business manager. Far from being "pushed" into boxing, "Monk" has chosen to get into the ring on his own. So, his debut on June 6th is now scheduled.

Set to meet the 0-1 Clyde Weaver in a scheduled four rounds on a card being billed as "Family Tradition," Foreman will appear on a card topped by Travis "Freight Train" Walker taking on Ed White, it's likely the son of a legend will garner most of the attention.

Weaver is an unknown from Arkansas, and he was TKO'd in one round in his Feb. 2009 pro debut. Obviously, the young Foreman was not going to be matched with anyone too dangerous in his first fight, but it will be interesting to see how he gets on all the same.

Maybe "Big" George will be ringside in Louisiana to cheer his son on!

black.ink
06-01-2009, 06:31 AM
Any pics or video's of him?

I hope he carries some power. If he achieves half of what his dad did, he could take the heavyweight scene by storm.

I do feel sorry for these sons (Hearns Jr, Chavez jr. etc..) though. Living up to their father's achievements is a burden no-one should have to go through. It could shatter their careers after just 1 loss. Quite unfair if you ask me.

Miburo
06-01-2009, 07:19 AM
Started training in 2008? Don't expect much :ugh:

Benny Leonard
06-01-2009, 08:13 AM

I hope he carries some power. If he achieves half of what his dad did, he could take the heavyweight scene by storm.

I do feel sorry for these sons (Hearns Jr, Chavez jr. etc..) though. Living up to their father's achievements is a burden no-one should have to go through. It could shatter their careers after just 1 loss. Quite unfair if you ask me.

Video:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/25097509#25097509

"JR" looks like he should have been a fighter. Big, Strong looking, big head....

RightCross94
06-01-2009, 08:14 AM
best of luck to him

Southpaw Stinger
06-01-2009, 08:42 AM
When you got a dad as rich as George, why would you fight?

D-MiZe
06-01-2009, 08:45 AM
George's fifth son (all of whom were christened George)

:rofl: :rofl:

Miburo
06-01-2009, 10:17 AM
:rofl: :rofl:

It gets even better, after a certain point he named all his daughters Georgetta too :lol1:

ironalex
06-01-2009, 12:23 PM
best of luck to him

Smokin'J
06-01-2009, 12:44 PM
He has joked that naming all five of his sons George was because: "In this career, you have to prepare for long term brain damage."

Flicker Jab
06-01-2009, 01:42 PM
i gotta find out where this match is taking place, I LIVE IN LOUISIANA!!!

And Foreman's my favorite HW of all time...

damnit boy!!!

Flicker Jab
06-01-2009, 01:46 PM
oooh, the 3rd looks like he has a silver spoon up his ass...he ain't gonna be great

Benny Leonard
06-01-2009, 02:49 PM
He has joked that naming all five of his sons George was because: "In this career, you have to prepare for long term brain damage."

Forget who said it but the other side to the story was that George named all his kids "George" because he wanted them to know who their Father was. Something George Sr. did not know for a long time (as far as biological). In addition, it was also to teach them that if one of them does something wrong, they are all responsible. It was a bond of a family and people in general.

portuge puncher
06-01-2009, 05:33 PM
so, he's only been training for a year,
he's a heavywieght,
he's spend his whole life rich with the finer things,

i wish him luck, but i think he's gonna get knocked out down the line.

them_apples
06-01-2009, 06:48 PM
the youngest George looks exactly like his dad, he's the one who will probably inherit the inhuman strength.

Slimey Limey
06-01-2009, 07:15 PM
George the ol' lad has come out with some great specimens. Lets hope his sons are as impressive in the ring as they look.

Flicker Jab
06-01-2009, 09:31 PM
I think he'll struggle with the guy who's 0-1, only because George's Grill brought alotta money to his hometown in Texas. That kid's had a silver spoon in his ass ever since he was one second old. Probably had a ****in' shiatsu massager on him at age 3.

Flicker Jab
06-01-2009, 09:36 PM
george was a badass because his parents ****ed him over. his kids, had a proper upbringing and the 3rd started too late. Look, 26 ain't old for a hw to turn pro, 30 aint old for a hw to turn pro. BUT 25 IS TOO OLD TO START TRAINING FOR BOXING. TOO OLD. Unless he plans on stealing the medicine cabinets of Ron Lyle and Ken Norton back from the 70s, where I know them boys did all kindsa juice, he has no chance. Technique is going to own him.

I bet you he goes the distance with that Weaver who's 0-1

Flicker Jab
06-01-2009, 09:38 PM
he's a heavywieght,

my thought exactly

portuge puncher
06-01-2009, 09:51 PM
my thought exactly

yep, he really has nothing to fight for.

Flicker Jab
06-01-2009, 10:26 PM
he's a heavywieght,

yep, he really has nothing to fight for.

its his face, too. he looks like one of those guys that gets hit one good time, they won't be comin back to the gym, ya know? he just has that look.

portuge puncher
06-01-2009, 10:48 PM
its his face, too. he looks like one of those guys that gets hit one good time, they won't be comin back to the gym, ya know? he just has that look.

exactly, i hate it when i see people in my gym for the first time when its clear they've never been in a fight before.

i dont think people should start boxing if they've never gottin into a fight befor.

JAB5239
06-01-2009, 10:55 PM
george was a badass because his parents ****ed him over. his kids, had a proper upbringing and the 3rd started too late. Look, 26 ain't old for a hw to turn pro, 30 aint old for a hw to turn pro. BUT 25 IS TOO OLD TO START TRAINING FOR BOXING. TOO OLD. Unless he plans on stealing the medicine cabinets of Ron Lyle and Ken Norton back from the 70s, where I know them boys did all kindsa juice, he has no chance. Technique is going to own him.

I bet you he goes the distance with that Weaver who's 0-1

What makes you say this?

Kinetic Linking
06-05-2009, 03:10 AM
25 isn't too old for anything. He's a big mother****er but you have to agree he doesn't look as badass as his pops.

Southpaw Stinger
06-07-2009, 10:10 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2lBVb3m6BTw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2lBVb3m6BTw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Well he won.... never mind who the opponent was.

Jim Jeffries
06-07-2009, 05:25 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2lBVb3m6BTw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2lBVb3m6BTw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Well he won.... never mind who the opponent was.

The Good
Seems fairly light on his feet for a big guy, 6'5", 237. Came in in fairly decent looking shape considering some current prospects, Arreola, Solis, Fury, etc.

The Bad
Throws those same slow, wide, looping hooks with both hands that his dad did when he was young, minus the earth shattering power. Keeps his hands too low and actually got hit by this can a couple of times. Didn't throw his jab much and didn't seem to have much snap on it when he did.

The Ugly
His opponent. Though I guess for a guy that didn't have any amateur background that I know of, that hasn't laced up a pair of gloves in his 26 years before and probably didn't want to make a complete fool out of himself in his very first fight, probably what you'd expect.

Wish him the best. His dad is one of my favorite fighters of all time and Monk seems like a nice guy, maybe too nice.

Kinetic Linking
06-07-2009, 06:29 PM
The opponent made this whole thing seem like a joke.

portuge puncher
06-07-2009, 06:37 PM
The Good
Seems fairly light on his feet for a big guy, 6'5", 237. Came in in fairly decent looking shape considering some current prospects, Arreola, Solis, Fury, etc.

The Bad
Throws those same slow, wide, looping hooks with both hands that his dad did when he was young, minus the earth shattering power. Keeps his hands too low and actually got hit by this can a couple of times. Didn't throw his jab much and didn't seem to have much snap on it when he did.

The Ugly
His opponent. Though I guess for a guy that didn't have any amateur background that I know of, that hasn't laced up a pair of gloves in his 26 years before and probably didn't want to make a complete fool out of himself in his very first fight, probably what you'd expect.

Wish him the best. His dad is one of my favorite fighters of all time and Monk seems like a nice guy, maybe too nice.

its nice to know that i could beat foreman's son.

he has almost no boxing ability,

he jus went in there and slapped the guy lol

#1Assassin
06-07-2009, 06:39 PM
that was one of the most unimpressive things i ever seen. JCC jr, roald hearns, james mcgirt jr, carlos de leon jr etc.. all these guys are more impressive.. and still none of them are really impressive. sorry to say monk doesnt seem to have it in him. 26 is old to start boxing, he has the physique so if he has the will he might, but i seriously doubt he will amount to anything in boxing. will propably get knocked silly within his first 10 fights without coming close to solid oposition.. and quitting. back to private school.

Southpaw Stinger
06-07-2009, 07:08 PM
He was impersonating his daddy. Same name but lacks the strength.

Squabbles94806
06-08-2009, 10:28 AM

I agree. Seems like the daughters of Frazier and ALI are doing better than the Jrs. That's double pressure if your father was a well known prizefighter and you have to carry the name around? Especially if you're a Jr.

I wonder what Floyd III will be like if he decides to box.

black.ink
06-08-2009, 11:30 AM
I don't want to criticise big George 3 too much after only 1 fight (considering no amateur pedigree), but he has a long way to go. I'd give him between 5-8 fights before i give my realistic thoughts on him, afterall, his opponent obviously doesn't know that boxing involves punching back.

If he decides to continue, this would be my advice. He's seems light on the feet, but shows poor footwork, no defence, sloppy hooks, and not enough jabs. A little defence improves every boxer, also he needs to ask his dad how to jab....with force. More accuracy with power shots practiced in the gym and possibly some roadwork (not seen stamina worked in 1 round) and hopefully come fight 2, we see a an improvement.