View Full Version : best fighter with the worst chin

glidesmack
05-23-2009, 12:25 AM
I think this what I meant with the "least god given talent" thread.

Willie Pep is the only really great fighter I know of who reportedly had a very bad chin.

BennyST
05-23-2009, 01:48 AM

Willie Pep is the only really great fighter I know of who reportedly had a very bad chin.

Willie Pep did not have a bad chin at all. A bad chin is someone like Terry Norris.

glidesmack
05-23-2009, 01:53 AM
willie pep did have a bad chin. He just never got hit.

dde91
05-23-2009, 01:55 AM
i think this what i meant with the "least god given talent" thread.

Willie pep is the only really great fighter i know of who reportedly had a very bad chin.

tommy hearns

MANGLER
05-23-2009, 02:00 AM
tommy hearns

Beat me to it.

dde91
05-23-2009, 02:03 AM
Beat me to it.

haha. if Hearns had a Hagler Chin, he would have beat everybody he fought.

Jim Jeffries
05-23-2009, 02:20 AM
Julian Jackson would have been an absolute monster if he had a better chin. Hell he was a monster as it was.

Biffen
05-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Floyd Patterson had a terrible chin. But he was a tought one who always got up. INgos jaw was no good eider.

JAB5239
05-23-2009, 03:26 PM
willie pep did have a bad chin. He just never got hit.

Can you provide examples to show Pep had a bad chin? Just because he is considered one of, if not the best defensive fighter of all time doesn't mean he didn't get hit. Pep's chin was fine.

Nuurzhaelan
05-24-2009, 02:02 AM
How bad is Wladimir's chin? I saw him take a few hits against Peter back in 2005 (I think, I don't feel like researching it now) and he fell, but he wasn't exactly reeling. Of course, I don't know how flush he was struck either.

sleazyfellow
05-24-2009, 02:45 AM
Yeah Id say tommy hearns as well, but he's still one of my personal favorites anyway.

D-MiZe
05-24-2009, 02:49 AM
I'm saying Amir Khan.

On the basis that;

He isn't the best fighter, he isn't even great. But he's good. World level. But he's got to have the worst chin ever. Is there anyone else in history who has a chin worse then Khan?

I think Khan would be a very good fighter if he chin wasn't China.

He's half the boxer that other people are saying. Such as Hearns, Wlad and Patterson. But his chin is twice as bad.

them_apples
05-24-2009, 04:09 PM

that would go to Thomas Hearns

glidesmack
05-25-2009, 01:00 AM
Thomas Hearns is a good reply. By all accounts his power, freakish as it was, was more developed than god given. He was also a very, very talented boxer. Add to that a reportedly poor chin, and he belongs on this list.

His only problem on the list is an enormous height advantage for his division.

RightCross94
05-25-2009, 08:27 AM
hearns is who i would nominate

tommys chin wasnt as bad as it is made out to be though, he often took a fair few heavy shots before looking on queer street or getting knocked out

against hagler hagler nailed him with shots that would have sat plenty of other fighters on their asses immediately

Argentine
06-29-2009, 04:11 AM
tommy hearns

mickey malone
06-29-2009, 06:10 AM
Apart from those already mentioned..

Anthony Mundine
Jeremy Williams
John Mugabe

hookoutofhell
06-29-2009, 07:03 AM
hearns is who i would nominate

tommys chin wasnt as bad as it is made out to be though, he often took a fair few heavy shots before looking on queer street or getting knocked out

against hagler hagler nailed him with shots that would have sat plenty of other fighters on their asses immediately

hagler was never a power puncher like hearns, mclellan or jackson though.

he had a punch and he could deck you but it was from his style and constant hammering away at you, alot of his stoppages were from an accumulation of ounches rather than one single devastating shot

also mugabi lasted till pretty late and hagler who has a punch found it hard to back him up despite several flush, clean blows

McGoorty
09-11-2011, 10:42 PM

Bad call........................... but it's a BUMP...................... this needs some dismantling.

ghns1133
09-11-2011, 10:46 PM
hearns

and pep had a good one IMO

ghns1133
09-11-2011, 10:48 PM
if floyd patterson had an iron chin he would have dominated

SCtrojansbaby
09-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Terry Norris

Ziggy Stardust
09-12-2011, 12:00 AM
if floyd patterson had an iron chin he would have dominated

Should have stayed at Light-Heavy: He'd have been an ATG.

Poet

Mintcar923
09-12-2011, 01:09 AM
Tommy Morrison.. Although, somehow he was able to defeat Razor Ruddock..

JAB5239
09-12-2011, 01:41 AM

Wow, where did that come from? Pep was only stopped 6 times in nearly 250 fights. At least two of those stoppages are thought to be dives and a couple more came at the hands of ATG Saddler, after Pep was past his best.

winky's right
09-12-2011, 02:28 AM
Joe Louis, relative to his greatness.

JAB5239
09-12-2011, 02:35 AM
Joe Louis, relative to his greatness.

I disagree. Louis was only stopped twice after taking prolonged beatings and it can be argued he wasn't prime for either fight. Other than that Louis always got up and was in control.

winky's right
09-12-2011, 04:15 AM
I guess my argument is tied with that heart =/= chin debate. For example, J.M Marquez is not generally perceived to have a great chin, but he still gets up after KDs. Secondly, I never said Louis had a bad chin. Being widely regarded as #1 or #2 HW of all time, he has a few flash KDs. But yes, he had excellent recovery, and he couldn't have conquered some of the beasts he did with a bad chin. I guess his KDs could be explained by his front foot fighting style, but then again Mike Tyson never got a flash KD in his prime with his swarming style (correct me if I'm wrong). But obviously Louis wasn't fighting tomato cans like Mike was :)

jaded
09-12-2011, 04:41 AM
Roy Jones Jr comes to mind...seldom got hit...but when he did it was good-nite.

fitefanSHO
09-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Carl "The Truth" Williams
Michael Moorer

dan_cov
09-12-2011, 10:07 AM
Willie Pep most certainly didn't have a glass jaw, are you insane?

I'd say Lennox Lewis was pretty chinny though many will disagree.

Amir Khan, Tommy Morrison, Tommy Hearns, Nigel Benn though he had the heart of a lion.

slicksouthpaw16
09-12-2011, 10:11 AM
I think don't Hearns chin was that bad, it was more due to his stamina IMO. He took a lot of bombs against Hagler and a few crisp counters from Leonard early in their fight.

The first person that comes to mind is Norris. A chin is the only thing that he didn't have.

dan_cov
09-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Floyd Patterson was chinny. He had the tools but his chin let him down & my god was fast, his handspeed is up there with ANY heavyweight to ever live, exceptionally quick hands & feet.

New England
09-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Willie Pep most certainly didn't have a glass jaw, are you insane?

I'd say Lennox Lewis was pretty chinny though many will disagree.

Amir Khan, Tommy Morrison, Tommy Hearns, Nigel Benn though he had the heart of a lion.

shall i list the punchers that lewis defeated?

its up there with anybody

the man fought some incredible punchers.
and a long list of very good ones.

dan_cov
09-12-2011, 12:33 PM

Not saying he didn't fight big punchers, just about every heavyweight has K.O power. Simply saying he was pretty chinny.
Everytime he got tagged he was hurt or knocked out by mainly lesser guys.

Good, clever boxer that used his size well but the guys chin wasn't exactly fantastic.

McGoorty
09-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Terry Norris
TERRY NORRIS ??????????????????????????????????????????.... as usual your limited knowledge comes up RE-CYCLED AGAIN...... terry norris..... Chuk Norris would have beaten him...... MAGENTA BOy.

New England
09-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Not saying he didn't fight big punchers, just about every heavyweight has K.O power. Simply saying he was pretty chinny.
Everytime he got tagged he was hurt or knocked out by mainly lesser guys.

Good, clever boxer that used his size well but the guys chin wasn't exactly fantastic.

klitschko
rahman
tyson
tua
grant
holyfield
briggs
golota
mercer
mccall
morrison
bruno
ruddock
tucker

all range from very good punchers to flat out bombers, and all range from good sized to very large.

obviously there are two L's in there by kayo
but a flush bomb from a HW with power will put you on your butt. that's the allure of the division.

you don't get W's over each of these guys being "chinny"
especially being so chinny as to be called "the best fighter with the worst chin"

The_Demon
09-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Norris and Moorer instantly spring too mind

fitefanSHO
09-12-2011, 01:13 PM
<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i-Tr3WkOnzE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was 19.

Tyson was "unbeatable"

And Carl Williams had a china chin for the ages!

McGoorty
09-12-2011, 01:18 PM

There were some big punchers there,.... but I wouldn't say many of them were very good at getting through,....... you know,,,, the Very fast and Hard punchers with precision & accuracy... I rarely ever saw Lewis get hit flush..... His ability level was always far in excess than that of his opponents.

New England
09-12-2011, 01:54 PM
There were some big punchers there,.... but I wouldn't say many of them were very good at getting through,....... you know,,,, the Very fast and Hard punchers with precision & accuracy... I rarely ever saw Lewis get hit flush..... His ability level was always far in excess than that of his opponents.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IIRShCBKwng" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

now, to be fair, this video is clearly made by a fanboy.
and its a compilation, not a series of rounds or fights.
i dont believe that lewis had "an iron chin"
instead, im posting the video to show lennox taking big shots, one after the other.

it should be said (because it can be said with an absolute degree of certainty) that many of these punches that we are seeing in this video of from big punchers at the top (or around the top) of the game would floor the average HW.

you hit a journeyman fighting in the club with these punches and he's going home early with a hell of a headache.

so if lennox' 6'5" body shows some effect from these shots, we shouldn't call his chin shotty simply on those merits. tall guys really let you know when they are hurt. that's a lot of body to keep upright when you're buzzed.

these bombs would floor a "chinny" HW and keep him there.
instead lewis might reel at times, but he came back to win all but twice, and would often come back with offense in the same round in which he was badly tagged.

not a great chin in historic context
but certainly nowhere near a terrible one. and it was tested enough in my humble estimation to form an opinion on it's sturdiness.

and on the bold part
yes, yes it was. he was a very good boxer
he had a meanstreak in him too