View Full Version : michael jordan of boxing

glidesmack
05-21-2009, 10:44 PM
there's only one, and it's 1919 jack dempsey. He was the michael jordan of boxing and everyone who saw him never forgot it. louis had nothing on him, neither did ray. When the writers who saw him died, so did his legend. The video survives but it can't surpass modern bias and ignorance.

edit - to be fair, if you factor in CAREER and not just how they were as a fighter at their best, I'd have to say it's joe louis.

Slimey Limey
05-21-2009, 10:54 PM
That would be Ali since he is the only Boxer who is one the greatest athletes of all time, just like Jordan is the only basketball player.

Obama
05-22-2009, 12:03 AM
there's only one, and it's 1919 jack dempsey. He was the michael jordan of boxing and everyone who saw him never forgot it. louis had nothing on him, neither did ray. When the writers who saw him died, so did his legend. The video survives but it can't surpass modern bias and ignorance.

Writer's like Nat Fleischer who rated him behind Jack Johnson, Jim Jeffries, and Bob Fitzsimmons? Since modern bias and ignorance could not apply to him, then what was it?

glidesmack
05-22-2009, 12:07 AM
As much as I like ring magazine, nat fleischer might be an idiot.

K-Nan
05-22-2009, 12:12 AM
Ali was bigger than MJ.

If anything, Jordan is the Ali of basketball, not vice versa

glidesmack
05-22-2009, 12:26 AM
The only thing you can disrespect mike for is playing basketball instead of boxing. Ali may have been bigger, but he wasn't better.

1SILVA
05-22-2009, 12:29 AM
Ali was bigger than MJ.

If anything, Jordan is the Ali of basketball, not vice versa

I agree. Ali is the most popular athlete off all time worldwide. Pele and Jordan come the closest

glidesmack
05-22-2009, 12:33 AM
More importantly, dempsey was bigger than ali. I'll repeat that in case it didn't register. Dempsey was bigger than ali. He drew million dollar gates in the 20's. Do you have any idea what that means? More evidence that dempsey = jordan of boxing. One of ali's fights against sonny liston set a record for smallest attendance at a heavyweight title fight in history.

Obama
05-22-2009, 01:22 AM
As much as I like ring magazine, nat fleischer might be an idiot.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

jagass
05-22-2009, 02:02 AM
It should have been Ali...

Miburo
05-22-2009, 02:14 AM
Culturally, it's obviously Ali. In the 1910s/20s Dempsey was as much of a juggernaut as Babe Ruth, but that's been largely forgotten. Most people in the US, much less the rest of the world, have never even heard his name. Think to yourself how many people have even heard of SRR.

yeykax
05-22-2009, 02:47 AM

Well i disagree with ur opinion but i believe it to be Henry Armstrong but since no one remembers him like that im goin with the all time facebook of boxing an thats mohamed Ali hes the real michael jordan of the sport!!!!

glidesmack
05-22-2009, 04:57 AM
tengoshi, god damn that is one mother****ing badass mother****ing picture.
As far as culturally goes...I repeat. Dempsey drew million dollar gates in the 20s. Ali set records for smallest attendance at a heavyweight title fight. The fact that dempsey has been forgotten is irrelevant - jordan may very well be forgotten in 90 years. In fact, he probably will be.

JAB5239
05-22-2009, 06:13 AM

Dempsey was hugely popular in the United States, followed closely by Joe Louis. Ali was worldwide. No athlete let alone fighter can rival him in this department. Its not even close.

glidesmack
05-22-2009, 07:41 AM
I repeat, Dempsey drew million dollar gates in the 20s. Ali set records for smallest attendances. If mass media had been the same in the 20's, dempsey's worldwide appeal would have vastly exceeded ali's.

RightCross94
05-22-2009, 07:41 AM
i could probably count on the fingers of one hand the names that are known worldwide as much as ali

The Iron Man
05-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Ali most definitely. I would probably say Tyson was the closest in that regard to Ali.

Southpaw16BF
05-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Why the hell are you so obessed with Dempsey? All you do on here is rave on about him and call him the greatest. And say everyone's else's era was a weak one compared to Demspey.

Which is just bogus, as Demspey was invovled in one of the weaker era's. And I don't need to explain this to you again, as I have already aswell as other posters.

Leakbeak
05-22-2009, 01:30 PM
I repeat, Dempsey drew million dollar gates in the 20s. Ali set records for smallest attendances. If mass media had been the same in the 20's, dempsey's worldwide appeal would have vastly exceeded ali's.

You have a good point here that is falling on deaf ears because you come at an extreme tangent. Dempsey was huge in his time and for the training methods and technical abilities in the ring at the time, he was a great athlete and boxer. People have to realise if he had the same training as they had in the 70's way back in the 20's, you can speculate that Dempsey would have been even better. I don't agree with you that he is as good as Ali, but yes he was a huge draw at the time. But Ali made sportsmen (not just boxers) into multi millionaires and superstars. He is the reason why there is big money in sports today. footballers were heroes even when they woprked in coal mines, but they were paid 25 a week! Ali made sports big in a way so he created the media uproar you talk off surrounding everyone from big and hard Steven Gerrard getting down for assault on Merseyside to Oj Simpson kidnapping people over there

1SILVA
05-22-2009, 04:45 PM
Dempsey was hugely popular in the United States, followed closely by Joe Louis. Ali was worldwide. No athlete let alone fighter can rival him in this department. Its not even close.

You can go to a village in Asia or Africa where there is no television. They might know Michael Jordan. They won't know Jack Dempsey or Babe Ruth. They will know Muhammad Ali and Michael Jackson.

Smokin'J
05-22-2009, 05:53 PM
They know Ali in my mother her birthtown but ask about Dempsey? Nah.

GJC
05-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Surely it is a bit like comparing cinema audiences of the 30's with today?
I'm a huge Dempsey fan and believe he was probably the 1st boxer to transend the sport. I would say though that in Ali's era that you could ask an african child in a remote village or an eskimo child and they would have heard of Ali I doubt whether you could say the same of Dempsey. Not so much the boxer rather than the earth is getting smaller so to speak.

trlove
05-22-2009, 09:19 PM
first off I dont know how the hell you are comparing mike jord to boxeo. Mike jord was a pampered baby who got every call from the refs and the nba used to blantantly cheat for this ******. Mj is not the best player of all time and does not have the most rings. he is not the leading scorer or steals or field goals or free throws. One thing mj does have in common with boxing is corruption the same way the refs always cheated for mj is the way 3 judges cheat for certain fighters like say holyfield when lennox lewis was robbed gthe first fight or when pernell whitaker was robbed vs jose luis ramirez and de la goya. \\

**** jordan

glidesmack
05-22-2009, 10:27 PM
If you're a blind person I'll consider that a reasonable post, otherwise you are seriously retarded. Have you ever watched michael jordan play? With your eyes open?

GJC
05-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Have absolutely no clue about basketball so will opt out of the technical arguments. Have heard of Michael Jordan and know he played for the Chicago Bulls if that proves a point. As far as in the UK I think he is more known for the training shoes than his sporting prowess to be honest though maybe younger people than myself might know more about his basketball.

glidesmack
05-23-2009, 12:00 AM
GJC, Michael Jordan was an american basketball player who is widely considered the best to ever play the game. More importantly, he dominated the sport to such an extent that he's considered by many to be the greatest competitor of all time regardless of sport. His legacy is pretty simple - he loved basketball, was a fiery competitor and worked as hard as he could.

That's only three things. Love of the game, competitive nature, work as hard as you can. Immediately ray robinson is ruled out, who claimed to never enjoy boxing, viewing it merely as a business. Ali once said he was hardly going to train for henry cooper, which, even if it wasn't true, makes him absolutely not michael jordan. If michael jordan had said something like that, people would have laughed.

I don't particularly like basketball, or any other sport for that matter. I have to respect michael jordan though because I think as a competitor he's better than probably any boxer who ever lived. The fighters who come closest in my mind are a young mike tyson and a young jack dempsey.

GJC
05-23-2009, 02:08 AM
GJC, Michael Jordan was an american basketball player who is widely considered the best to ever play the game. More importantly, he dominated the sport to such an extent that he's considered by many to be the greatest competitor of all time regardless of sport. His legacy is pretty simple - he loved basketball, was a fiery competitor and worked as hard as he could.

That's only three things. Love of the game, competitive nature, work as hard as you can. Immediately ray robinson is ruled out, who claimed to never enjoy boxing, viewing it merely as a business. Ali once said he was hardly going to train for henry cooper, which, even if it wasn't true, makes him absolutely not michael jordan. If michael jordan had said something like that, people would have laughed.

I don't particularly like basketball, or any other sport for that matter. I have to respect michael jordan though because I think as a competitor he's better than probably any boxer who ever lived. The fighters who come closest in my mind are a young mike tyson and a young jack dempsey.
I don't doubt Jordan's skill like I said I have heard of him and I don't follow his sport at all, from the clips I have seen of him he is a fantastic athlete.
Hmmm would not disrespect SRR or Ali, to stay at the top as long as they did in such a hard sport isn't done purely by skill. I would rank Frazier and Marciano higher than Tyson on the criteria you are using. Marciano was an unbelievable trainer and compensated for some of his physical drawbacks by working extremely hard, ditto Frazier.
As for Jordan as a competitor compared with boxers, you have to take into account that players in a team game can have off days, tennis players can lose a set or a tournament. Boxers have one off night and that can be career over. That is not to denigrate Jordan or the work he has put in but the sacrifices boxers make do at least compare?

glidesmack
05-23-2009, 02:25 AM
I absolutely agree.

JAB5239
05-23-2009, 06:34 AM

At the time boxing was a much more revered sport than now or when Ali fought. Add to that the fact there was no television coverage and and many more newspaper publications and it isn't hard to understand why dempsey did so well at the gate. But the fact remains that Ali is the mostly widely known athlete in ANY sport.....EVER. Ali is known in third world countries as well as all the major powers in the world. You can say "if, if, if" all you want, it still can't change the facts. Millions and millions of people knew Dempsey. Billions and billions of people STILL know and love Ali. Like I said....its not even close. Ali fought the better comp, had the better record and was the better fighter. He'll always be remembered and ranked ahead of Dempsey because of this. Nothing can ever change that now...ever.

JAB5239
05-23-2009, 06:35 AM
you can go to a village in asia or africa where there is no television. They might know michael jordan. They won't know jack dempsey or babe ruth. They will know muhammad ali and michael jackson.

e-x-a-c-t-l-y!!!

JAB5239
05-23-2009, 06:39 AM
[QUOTE=Leakbeak;5340684]You have a good point here that is falling on deaf ears because you come at an extreme tangent. Dempsey was huge in his time and for the training methods and technical abilities in the ring at the time, he was a great athlete and boxer. People have to realise if he had the same training as they had in the 70's way back in the 20's, you can speculate that Dempsey would have been even better.

With all due respect, how much different do you think the training methods and technical skills were from the 20's compared to the 70's?

glidesmack
05-23-2009, 07:01 AM
dempsey swam, dug ditches, did calisthenics, worked in mines, as a lumberjack, did roadwork, sparred 20 rounds a day routinely with seriously talented sparring partners, did pulley work, hit a variety of bags, lifted weights, shadowboxed, jumped rope, hardened his entire hands by soaking them in solution, toughened the skin on his face with beef brine, chewed pine tire to strengthen his jaw, played baseball and kept a detailed notebook of everything he learned traveling around the country from boxing club to boxing club. I've also heard he practiced moves in small animal cages to work on his crouch. Like jordan, he was one of the all time great workers and thinkers.

JAB5239
05-23-2009, 07:12 AM
dempsey swam, dug ditches, did calisthenics, worked in mines, as a lumberjack, did roadwork, sparred 20 rounds a day routinely with seriously talented sparring partners, did pulley work, hit a variety of bags, lifted weights, shadowboxed, jumped rope, hardened his entire hands by soaking them in solution, toughened the skin on his face with beef brine, chewed pine tire to strengthen his jaw, played baseball and kept a detailed notebook of everything he learned traveling around the country from boxing club to boxing club. I've also heard he practiced moves in small animal cages to work on his crouch. Like jordan, he was one of the all time great workers and thinkers.

I will bet all my points right now Dempsey did not routinely spar 20 rounds a day. Almost everthing else is routinely practiced by fighters then and now. Stop trying to make dempsey into some super human athlete, because as great as he was, it simply isn't true.

glidesmack
05-23-2009, 08:23 AM
wow, you're really going to give me all those points? The dude sparred 20 rounds a day with guys like bill tate in prep for willard. He trained ultra intensely on a week off a week. I'd find the source if I really cared about your points.

Also, show me a fighter today who soaks their face or hands in a hardening solution, chews pine tar, digs ditches, or works on and off in a mine for 8 years.

Oh yeah, and lol. You don't think he was a superhuman athlete? yeah. Most people would probably agree. Especially those who comprised the record setting attendances who witnessed his fights. Those records STILL stand.

Ziggy Stardust
05-23-2009, 12:19 PM
If you're a blind person I'll consider that a reasonable post, otherwise you are seriously retarded. Have you ever watched michael jordan play? With your eyes open?

While the poster is saying it in a rather trolling way, the truth is Jordan DID get preferential treatment by the NBA in general and the referees in particular. To a lesser degree so did the rest of the Bulls. The NBA had a vested interest in having Michael Jordan wearing rings which is what happens when your marketing department turns your sport into a cult of personality.

Poet

JAB5239
05-23-2009, 03:17 PM
wow, you're really going to give me all those points? The dude sparred 20 rounds a day with guys like bill tate in prep for willard. He trained ultra intensely on a week off a week. I'd find the source if I really cared about your points.

Nah, you won't be seeing any of my points anytime soon. The post I responded to, you made it sound like he did this routinely. Now you've changed it to the Willard fight.

Also, show me a fighter today who soaks their face or hands in a hardening solution, chews pine tar, digs ditches, or works on and off in a mine for 8 years.

With bigger gloves and the advances in cut science it isn't neccessary to do those things anymore. As far as working goes.....I came name plenty of fighters who worked on their way up. I doubt Dempsey was in the mines after he became champ.

Oh yeah, and lol. You don't think he was a superhuman athlete? yeah. Most people would probably agree. Especially those who comprised the record setting attendances who witnessed his fights. Those records STILL stand.

Thats already been explained to you. How many people attended Julio Cesar Chavez-Greg Haugen? And that was during the era of television, cable, satelite and PPV.

1SILVA
05-23-2009, 03:22 PM
While the poster is saying it in a rather trolling way, the truth is Jordan DID get preferential treatment by the NBA in general and the referees in particular. To a lesser degree so did the rest of the Bulls. The NBA had a vested interest in having Michael Jordan wearing rings which is what happens when your marketing department turns your sport into a cult of personality.

Poet

Once again poet you make valid points to go with your arguments. Look at The 98 finals against Utah when Jordan made the winning shot. he simultaneously walked and committed an offensive foul before draining the shot. In today's NBA, Lebron and Kobe get the benefit of the doubt all the time

Ziggy Stardust
05-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Once again poet you make valid points to go with your arguments. Look at The 98 finals against Utah when Jordan made the winning shot. he simultaneously walked and committed an offensive foul before draining the shot. In today's NBA, Lebron and Kobe get the benefit of the doubt all the time

It's the unfortunate consquence of a sports league that decides to market personalities instead of the game. I personally find the NBA boring these days and have since the early '90s. Such a shame because it was such a beautiful game to watch back in the '80s. Now all you get is wrestling under the basket, players routinely getting away with stuff that would have brought an automatic whistle in the '80, preferential treatment towards the players the league markets, and a never ending series of one-on-one isolation plays that result in 80 - 80 scores instead of 115 - 110.

Poet

mnbv
05-23-2009, 05:54 PM
when you say basketball the first person comes in my mind in jordan. when it comes to boxing i'd say ALI.

glidesmack
05-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Alright cowboys fan guy, you say "boxing was bigger back then," but that's total baloney. TOTALLY wrong. Dempsey CREATED big time boxing. In fact, he created big time SPORTS.

I also agree with everyone's complaints about jordan's preferential treatment. He was still the best player of all time.

I will say, though, after consideration, that I'm not sure if dempsey is the guy. At his peak I would say he was the most like jordan, but when it comes to a career I have to take it back. Joe Louis had more of a jordanesque career. After winning the title, he says "don't call me champ til I beat that bum schmeling." That's Jordanesque, and incredibly rare in boxing.

And here's why Ali is off the list, period. Before the Cooper fight, he was quoted as saying "I hardly trained for this fight, this guy is a bum." That's just too close to being the OPPOSITE of jordan for him to be in the debate. I know he trained his ass off during his career, but you just can't say something like that and be the jordan of a sport.

Sugar ray had a jordanesque career, but claimed to never enjoy boxing. That's not jordanesque, he's completely out of the debate. So's Greb who also had the career but didn't train enough.

Ziggy Stardust
05-24-2009, 11:51 AM
when you say basketball the first person comes in my mind in jordan. when it comes to boxing i'd say ALI.

It depends on your age. For my generation the first person that comes to mind when you say basketball is Dr. J or Kareem; and while Ali's name still has some cache with the younger gneration it's diminishing steadily.

Poet

JAB5239
05-25-2009, 02:12 AM
Alright cowboys fan guy, you say "boxing was bigger back then," but that's total baloney. TOTALLY wrong. Dempsey CREATED big time boxing. In fact, he created big time SPORTS.

Boxing was right behind baseball as the two most popular sports in the United States. This is a fact.

I also agree with everyone's complaints about jordan's preferential treatment. He was still the best player of all time.

I will say, though, after consideration, that I'm not sure if dempsey is the guy. At his peak I would say he was the most like jordan, but when it comes to a career I have to take it back. Joe Louis had more of a jordanesque career. After winning the title, he says "don't call me champ til I beat that bum schmeling." That's Jordanesque, and incredibly rare in boxing.

And here's why Ali is off the list, period. Before the Cooper fight, he was quoted as saying "I hardly trained for this fight, this guy is a bum." That's just too close to being the OPPOSITE of jordan for him to be in the debate. I know he trained his ass off during his career, but you just can't say something like that and be the jordan of a sport.

Sugar ray had a jordanesque career, but claimed to never enjoy boxing. That's not jordanesque, he's completely out of the debate. So's Greb who also had the career but didn't train enough.

You're comparing personalities. Im comparing careers, acheivments and popularity. when you look at it that way, Jordon was the Muhammad ali of basketball.

glidesmack
05-25-2009, 08:26 AM
Fair enough. If you factor in career, though, like I said I think Joe Louis wins.

RightCross94
05-25-2009, 08:36 AM
like other people have said, you can go to a desert in africa, you can go to siberia, you can go to new york, a villiage in chile.....whatever....they will ALL know who ali is. Ali is probably still the most famous dude ever, right up there with jesus

RightCross94
05-25-2009, 08:36 AM
glidesmack is a ****ing idiot btw, sorry just had to chuck that in, some of the **** hes said in this thread made me laugh

glidesmack
05-25-2009, 10:22 AM
Soccer is popular worldwide. I don't weight worldwide popularity heavily.

Ziggy Stardust
05-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Soccer is popular worldwide. I don't weight worldwide popularity heavily.

Soccer is a girls' sport. It's popular in countries where people are too broke-ass to afford other sports that require more equipment than a cheap ass ball and a cow pasture.

Poet

glidesmack
05-25-2009, 02:46 PM
poet I was about to give you bad karma for some other post but you just redeemed yourself.

Ziggy Stardust
05-25-2009, 02:51 PM
poet I was about to give you bad karma for some other post but you just redeemed yourself.

:haha: :rofl:

res
05-25-2009, 03:45 PM

edit - to be fair, if you factor in CAREER and not just how they were as a fighter at their best, I'd have to say it's joe louis.

i see your point, these kinds of comparisons are difficult to make.

It is like comparing the popularity of Sinatra or even The Beatles to Michael Jackson, how do you do it?

There was a more developed world wide Popular culture around when Jackson took off than there was when Sinatra got big or even than when the Beatles blew up (and music was pretty international then). Should we just compare the splash they made in their time as though all things are even, or should we attempt to imagine how big Sinatra or the Beatles would have been if international popular culture was more developed.

The problem with ignoring how much attention foreign countries were paying to each others cultures is that we may attribute things to athletes or musicians that they didn't do. It was not really that Jackson was so wonderful that word of him just HAD to spread to remote tribes in Africa no matter what decade he came out in, it was rather that cultures around the world were just more hooked into each other than then they were in the 40's or the 60's (although at the same time Jackson played a major role in expanding international Pop culture just as Sinatra and The Beatles had before him ).

In the end it is impossible to say what kind of impact Dempsey would have had if there was more of a world wide popular culture then.

As far as who was more popular in the United States alone in their heyday, i think it would have to go like this in general.

1) Jack Dempsey
2) Joe Louis
3) Muhammed Ali
4) Mike Tyson

lol umm, but Right after the Schmelling win it was

1) Joe Louis
2) Jack Dempsey
3)Muhammed Ali
4)Mike Tyson.

Numbers 1 and 2 are really close.

glidesmack
05-25-2009, 11:07 PM
I'd actually say that tyson kills louis and ali. Tyson was a massive draw.

Axl Rose
05-26-2009, 07:42 AM
tyson for me

GJC
06-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Soccer is a girls' sport. It's popular in countries where people are too broke-ass to afford other sports that require more equipment than a cheap ass ball and a cow pasture.

Poet
It is the WORLD game as opposed to a world series which has teams from one country. A ball is all you need and a small bit of ground no expensive kit etc so is classless. Americans don't like it because they cant bore the living arse out of people with statistics about yardage etc.
Also there is little chance of them getting in a position to challenge in the next 50 years as it is not a game you can play when grosely obese or freakishly mis-shappen.

Kinetic Linking
06-04-2009, 12:30 AM
soccer is a girls sport. As for the U.S. being bitter that it can't compete, it's women's team can, appropriately.

daniels_co
06-04-2009, 05:18 AM
Among his opponents were Fireman Jim Flynn, the only boxer ever to beat Dempsey by a knockout when Dempsey lost to him in the first round (although many boxing historians, including Monte Cox, believe the fight was a "fix"[citation needed]), and Gunboat Smith, formerly a highly ranked contender who had beaten both World Champion Jess Willard and Hall of Famer Sam Langford. Dempsey beat Smith for the third time on a second round KO.

Dempsey's first manager was John J. Reisler.[2] Dempsey later hooked up with Jack Kearns, an experienced, clever fight manager who carefully and skillfully guided Dempsey to the top.[3]

In 1918, Dempsey boxed 17 times, going 151 with one no-decision. He avenged his defeat against Flynn by returning the favor, knocking him out in the first round. Among others he beat were light heavyweight champion Battling Levinsky, who had never been knocked out before Dempsey did so, Bill Brennan, Fred Fulton, Carl Morris, Billy Miske ("newspaper decision"), heavy weight Lefty Jim McGettigan and Homer Smith.

He began 1919 winning five bouts in a row by knockout in the first round. Then on July 4, he and world heavyweight champion Jess Willard met at Toledo, Ohio, for the world title. Few gave Dempsey a chance against the larger champion and many called this fight a modern David and Goliath. Minutes before the fight started, Kearns informed Dempsey that he had wagered Dempsey's share of the purse on Dempsey winning with a first-round knockout. As a result, the first round of the fight was one of the most brutal in boxing history. Dempsey dealt Willard a terrible beating and knocked him down seven times in the first round. Willard had a broken cheekbone, broken jaw, several teeth knocked out, partial hearing loss in one ear, and broken ribs. Kearns' own recollection of the event was the source of the loaded gloves' theory. The 20 January 1964 Sports Illustrated published an article interviewing Dempsey and Willard, on their recollections of the fight and of "Doc" Kearns. Kearns claimed he had applied plaster of paris to the customary wrappings under Dempsey's gloves, and that Dempsey did not seem to notice even when these reinforcements were removed after the fight. Dempsey never granted any credence to Kearns' story.

Under the rules at the time, a fighter was allowed to stand almost over a knocked-down opponent, and hit him again as soon as both knees had left the canvas. Several times Willard was knocked back down as he was trying to rise. Also, modern referees would step in to stop a fight if one of them was clearly defenseless, but the referee of this fight had the attitude that the only ending for a fight is an actual knockout. At the end of the third round the champion's handlers would not let him answer the bell for the fourth round. Although Dempsey had captured the Heavyweight Title, he never collected any money for the fight.

GJC
06-04-2009, 09:11 PM
soccer is a girls sport. As for the U.S. being bitter that it can't compete, it's women's team can, appropriately.
I think that you are obviously confused because American women can find 11 players who are not morbidly obese.
That doesn't make it a girls game it makes it a game for fit people.

Kinetic Linking
06-05-2009, 03:02 AM
soccer = vagina ball

Ziggy Stardust
06-05-2009, 12:03 PM
I think that you are obviously confused because American women can find 11 players who are not morbidly obese.
That doesn't make it a girls game it makes it a game for fit people.

I'm afraid you won't find many obese players in the proffesional basketball (freakishly tall, yes; obese, rare) nor will you find them in baseball either. In football the only people you MIGHT be able to classify as obese are linemen the rest are either over muscled (linebackers) or better athletes than anything you'll see on a soccer pitch (running backs and recievers). I seriously doubt Beckham on his best day could run a 4.3 40 the way a number of NFL recievers do as a matter of course. The fact that "anyone can play it" is a strike against soccer in the US: An American has little interest in watching people play a sport that he himself could play. Which males play soccer in the US? Ones who couldn't hack it at other sports.

Poet

The Iron Man
06-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Football (soccer) is the most popular sport in the world, so obviously there has to be something to it. I for one cant sit and watch American football, it never really flows and there is much less of a free role for players. Thats one thing thats brilliant about football (soccer) players are so creative. I wouldnt be able to name the most popular American Footballer and i know very few people in England that could, but names like David Beckham, Ronaldinho, Maradona, and Pele are known world wide. Football imo is a much more difficult sport to play, in American football it seems if you are fast, strong and can catch you're in.

Ziggy Stardust
06-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Football (soccer) is the most popular sport in the world, so obviously there has to be something to it. I for one cant sit and watch American football, it never really flows and there is much less of a free role for players. Thats one thing thats brilliant about football (soccer) players are so creative. I wouldnt be able to name the most popular American Footballer and i know very few people in England that could, but names like David Beckham, Ronaldinho, Maradona, and Pele are known world wide. Football imo is a much more difficult sport to play, in American football it seems if you are fast, strong and can catch you're in.

American football is a sport rooted in strength and speed and Americans watch it because the athletes are stronger and faster than the norm ie. they are able to do things your typical Joe can't. Skill wise, try hitting a 90 mph fastball sometime: You'll be back on the soccer pitch in no time thinking "this is a breeze". The fact is 90% of the world is made up of 3rd world sh1t holes with no entertainment options so a game that costs 0 dollars to play is automatically going to be popular.

Poet

The Iron Man
06-05-2009, 04:44 PM
American football is a sport rooted in strength and speed and Americans watch it because the athletes are stronger and faster than the norm ie. they are able to do things your typical Joe can't. Skill wise, try hitting a 90 mph fastball sometime: You'll be back on the soccer pitch in no time thinking "this is a breeze". The fact is 90% of the world is made up of 3rd world sh1t holes with no entertainment options so a game that costs 0 dollars to play is automatically going to be popular.

Poet

Ok, Baseball has 4 main objectives (from what i can see): Hit, Run, Throw, Catch: in order to play this game at a decent level you must be able to do these things very well. But football is so much more than than, a goalkeeper for example has to be able to do most of those but also has to be very agile, athletic and brave. A keeper has the challenge of saving a shot which could also travel as fast as 90mph;this is just one position. A typical Joe cant do this either, American football is the kind of sport that anyone who is professional athletic can play (Brock Lesnar and Dwayne chambers) look at Baseball when Michael Jordan joined. You will never ever see that in soccer because it needs more than great athleticism. If it was to do with money then Rugby would be just as big in 3rd world countries and baseball only needs a bat and ball to play in the streets but neither have captured the world like football. USA are trying extremely hard themselves to improve their football facilities and the MLS bringing in players like David Beckham and Landon Donovan.

Kinetic Linking
06-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Can you use your hands in soccer? No? Oh **** that I'm out of here you guys are dumb.

GJC
06-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Can you use your hands in soccer? No? Oh **** that I'm out of here you guys are dumb.
The goalkeeper can.
Can you use your feet in basketball?

GJC
06-05-2009, 06:07 PM
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]I'm afraid you won't find many obese players in the proffesional basketball (freakishly tall, yes; obese, rare) nor will you find them in baseball either.

No didn't target basketball re obesity had that down for my freakishly mishappen comment. Must say it is a great sport if you are 7 feet tall. Baseball I know little about to be honest apart from the fact that I understand it is riddled with steroid use?

In football the only people you MIGHT be able to classify as obese are linemen the rest are either over muscled (linebackers) or better athletes than anything you'll see on a soccer pitch (running backs and recievers). I seriously doubt Beckham on his best day could run a 4.3 40 the way a number of NFL recievers do as a matter of course.

Beckham is known for being slow, we do have some pretty quick players around though. Don't know about speed as we are not into stats as much. Would ask though do you think people can run quicker holding a ball or keeping a ball under control with their feet whilst running?
Also soccor players can cover 15 to 20 miles in a game whereas in American football i'd ask how quick a running back could cover 100 yards after playing for an hour straight?

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]
The fact that "anyone can play it" is a strike against soccer in the US: An American has little interest in watching people play a sport that he himself could play. Which males play soccer in the US? Ones who couldn't hack it at other sports.

Surely good to do sports as well as just watch them in an armchair?

Soccor is a great worldwide game I only criticise the U.S. sports in a tongue in cheek way to defend our national game.
I can't say I have a huge interest or knowledge of Basketball, Baseball or American Football but I can appreciate the skills of the athletes who are steroid free who play them.

GJC
06-05-2009, 06:11 PM

Poet
I would say a big part of the appeal of Basketball, Baseball and American football is that TV networks can slice them into 5 or 10 minute pieces for their ad breaks. Unfortunately soccor is 2 45 minutes halves which do not suit TV companies.
Don't get me wrong I like America and American's but I don't think it is a totally unfair generalisation to say many are conditioned by television as to what they like?

GJC
06-05-2009, 06:12 PM
By the way what is the red and green square thing about on Rep Power? I was green and now I'm red?

GJC
06-05-2009, 06:28 PM
By the way what is the red and green square thing about on Rep Power? I was green and now I'm red?
Ah I think I have it, I made a little joke about David Carradine's recent death, It appears that it may have upset a few of the aryan brotherhood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakbeat
[b] Thai police told the BBC the 72-year-old was found by a hotel maid sitting in a wardrobe with a rope around his neck and genitals.

Is there any truth in the rumour that the police found a Klitschko brothers fanclub membership card on the hotel dresser?
Apparently they agreed to not publish that fact so as to save his family from any embarassment.

Ziggy Stardust
06-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Surely good to do sports as well as just watch them in an armchair?

Some do. Loads play in softball leagues: At the same time none of those that do would have much interest in WATCHING it though.

Soccor is a great worldwide game I only criticise the U.S. sports in a tongue in cheek way to defend our national game.
I can't say I have a huge interest or knowledge of Basketball, Baseball or American Football but I can appreciate the skills of the athletes who are steroid free who play them.

Steroids are a world-wide phenominan, not just American team sports. It shows up in the Olympics and the Tour D'France all the time.

Personally I watch both rugby and Aussie rules football when they're on. Love both games. Now if the Brit's had picked RUGBY to be their national game (after all the Brits invented it) we'd see more eye to eye.

Poet

Ziggy Stardust
06-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Ah I think I have it, I made a little joke about David Carradine's recent death, It appears that it may have upset a few of the aryan brotherhood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breakbeat
[b] Thai police told the BBC the 72-year-old was found by a hotel maid sitting in a wardrobe with a rope around his neck and genitals.

Is there any truth in the rumour that the police found a Klitschko brothers fanclub membership card on the hotel dresser?
Apparently they agreed to not publish that fact so as to save his family from any embarassment.

Ha! That's pretty good! I must be corrupting you :boxing:

Poet

Ziggy Stardust
06-05-2009, 07:27 PM

Yeah, sombody red Ked you.

Poet

Ziggy Stardust
06-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Don't get me wrong I like America and American's but I don't think it is a totally unfair generalisation to say many are conditioned by television as to what they like?

It's the other way around. Television is conditioned by the viewers. If something has no spectator appeal it will bomb in the ratings and soon be OFF TV. This is why Public Television is constantly begging for money and few people watch it. Public Television tries to get people to watch cultural elites think people SHOULD watch rather than putting things on people WANT to watch. People vote with their feet and their remotes, as it should be in a free market. In the US soccer teams don't even sell out relatively small stadiums and even then 90% of the people in attendence are immigrents from countries where the sport is big. Contrast that with your typical NFL or NBA game where the house is packed (in 70,000 seat stadiums in the case of the NFL) and teams have waiting lists for season tickets. Baseball games generally don't sell out but that's because Major League Baseball teams play 81 home games every year and most fans can't afford to buy tickets to that many games; not to mention it not being practical to be at the ballpark 5 days every week during a home stand from April to October.

Poet

Ziggy Stardust
06-05-2009, 07:45 PM
Ok, Baseball has 4 main objectives (from what i can see): Hit, Run, Throw, Catch: in order to play this game at a decent level you must be able to do these things very well. But football is so much more than than, a goalkeeper for example has to be able to do most of those but also has to be very agile, athletic and brave. A keeper has the challenge of saving a shot which could also travel as fast as 90mph;this is just one position. A typical Joe cant do this either, American football is the kind of sport that anyone who is professional athletic can play (Brock Lesnar and Dwayne chambers) look at Baseball when Michael Jordan joined. You will never ever see that in soccer because it needs more than great athleticism. If it was to do with money then Rugby would be just as big in 3rd world countries and baseball only needs a bat and ball to play in the streets but neither have captured the world like football. USA are trying extremely hard themselves to improve their football facilities and the MLS bringing in players like David Beckham and Landon Donovan.

Micahel Jordan BOMBED at baseball. It takes a LOT of skill to play that game. How hard is it? It's the only sport that I know of that failing 7 out of 10 times means you're a Hall Of Famer.

They can bring in all the Euro-stars they like. Cultural elites (ie. Americans who mimic everything the Euro-weenies do) have been trying for DECADES to get Americans interested in soccer and STILL the only people who watch it are the immigrants. No ratings = no television coverage; half-filled stadiums where no one speaks English = sports backwater.

Poet

The Iron Man
06-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Micahel Jordan BOMBED at baseball. It takes a LOT of skill to play that game. How hard is it? It's the only sport that I know of that failing 7 out of 10 times means you're a Hall Of Famer.

Poet

He still made it into a team, there is no way say a baseball, rugby or NFL player could every just walk into 1st or even 2nd league football team. Football is an extremely skilled game i really don't see how it can be argued otherwise.

Ziggy Stardust
06-05-2009, 07:57 PM
He still made it into a team, there is no way say a baseball, rugby or NFL player could every just walk into 1st or even 2nd league football team. Football is an extremely skilled game i really don't see how it can be argued otherwise.

He made it onto a team because he was Michael Jordan and his name would sell tickets in Spring Training when the games don't count. He made a team (the Chicago White Sox I believe) for NO other reason.

Poet

GJC
06-05-2009, 08:05 PM
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"] DECADES to get Americans interested in soccer and STILL the only people who watch it are the immigrants.

Everyone in America is an immigrant, those that arn't would probably prefer live buffalo hunting on TV!

GJC
06-05-2009, 08:13 PM
It's the other way around. Television is conditioned by the viewers. If something has no spectator appeal it will bomb in the ratings and soon be OFF TV. This is why Public Television is constantly begging for money and few people watch it. Public Television tries to get people to watch cultural elites think people SHOULD watch rather than putting things on people WANT to watch. People vote with their feet and their remotes, as it should be in a free market. In the US soccer teams don't even sell out relatively small stadiums and even then 90% of the people in attendence are immigrents from countries where the sport is big. Contrast that with your typical NFL or NBA game where the house is packed (in 70,000 seat stadiums in the case of the NFL) and teams have waiting lists for season tickets. Baseball games generally don't sell out but that's because Major League Baseball teams play 81 home games every year and most fans can't afford to buy tickets to that many games; not to mention it not being practical to be at the ballpark 5 days every week during a home stand from April to October.

Poet
Hmmm to a point, I do believe good marketing and prime time scheduling can get an audience. I would be vital parts of my anatomy that the U.S. TV companies would never put soccer on prime time TV due to the fact that they won't be able to get their ads in. Even if America is playing America B in the Olympic/World Cup final.
I was led to believe that soccer was catching on amongst the younger generation, not true?

Ziggy Stardust
06-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Everyone in America is an immigrant, those that arn't would probably prefer live buffalo hunting on TV!

Well by THAT standard then there are no native Brits since ya'll migrated there from Germany, Gaul ect. My basic standard? If you're were born in a country than you aren't an immigrant. Doesn't matter if your parents came from Guatamala or Outer Mongolia if YOU were born here you're a native. BTW, the "buffalo hunting" that you speak of is a reference to people who originally came from Mongolia and crossed the Bering Straight.

Poet

GJC
06-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Yeah, sombody red Ked you.

Poet
So how do you do this red k and green k thing?
Not that I would ever red k anyone to be honest, pretty sad to do that IMO. Complete lack of humour by the aryan brotherhood there lol.
Would like to green k some especially those who post interesting articles and films.

GJC
06-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Wouldn't argue that, just making a little quip.
Though would say that probably most of the immigrants you refer to though watching soccer are 4th or 5th generation Italians etc so not strictly immigrants?

Ziggy Stardust
06-05-2009, 08:28 PM
Hmmm to a point, I do believe good marketing and prime time scheduling can get an audience. I would be vital parts of my anatomy that the U.S. TV companies would never put soccer on prime time TV due to the fact that they won't be able to get their ads in. Even if America is playing America B in the Olympic/World Cup final.
I was led to believe that soccer was catching on amongst the younger generation, not true?

Enough hype and marketing can get you an audience for ONE night. It can't KEEP an audience: Witness Vince McMahon's XFL. They try to hype the World Cup every single cycle.....and can't get an audience (and I know they show the games because I see them listed). I wouldn't say it neccesserily on the rise other than amongst kids who are too small to play football or basketball or who can't pick up the skills needed for baseball (or lack the arms). It's always been popular among girls simply because traditionally there haven't been as many sports options for them.

Poet

Ziggy Stardust
06-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Wouldn't argue that, just making a little quip.
Though would say that probably most of the immigrants you refer to though watching soccer are 4th or 5th generation Italians etc so not strictly immigrants?

I wouldn't say it's all that popular among 4th and 5th generation Italian heritage: Most of those watch the NFL :D

Poet

Ziggy Stardust
06-05-2009, 08:37 PM
So how do you do this red k and green k thing?
Not that I would ever red k anyone to be honest, pretty sad to do that IMO. Complete lack of humour by the aryan brotherhood there lol.
Would like to green k some especially those who post interesting articles and films.

Simple. At the bottom of every post is a lttle button labled "Karma". When you click it a little box pops down with two options: "Approve" and "Disapprove". Clicking "Approve" gives positive karma or "green K" while "Disapprove" gives negative karma or "red K". If one doesn't have postive karma oneself then all you give is "grey K" no matter which you choose. How much karma given is determined by by how much positive karma the giver has amassed. For example, I have a positive karma rating of 18. This means my hit is a lot stronger than someone with a rating of 2. That's for both positive AND negative karma. Now unfortunately it doesn't allow you to give karma to someone multiple times until you've "spread it around some" which is the ONLY reason I haven't reversed your red for you: I given you green karma before and apparently I haven't
"spread it around" sufficiently yet to be allowed to give you more.

Poet

GJC
06-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Simple. At the bottom of every post is a lttle button labled "Karma". When you click it a little box pops down with two options: "Approve" and "Disapprove". Clicking "Approve" gives positive karma or "green K" while "Disapprove" gives negative karma or "red K". If one doesn't have postive karma oneself then all you give is "grey K" no matter which you choose. How much karma given is determined by by how much positive karma the giver has amassed. For example, I have a positive karma rating of 18. This means my hit is a lot stronger than someone with a rating of 2. That's for both positive AND negative karma. Now unfortunately it doesn't allow you to give karma to someone multiple times until you've "spread it around some" which is the ONLY reason I haven't reversed your red for you: I given you green karma before and apparently I haven't
"spread it around" sufficiently yet to be allowed to give you more.

Poet
How in the hell did you accumalate 18? I make 1 little Klit joke and.....?

GJC
06-05-2009, 08:46 PM
I wouldn't say it's all that popular among 4th and 5th generation Italian heritage: Most of those watch the NFL :D

Poet
Just leave soccer alone eh? Its like the Rock its not negotiable.
Like I say I really like Americans but do find a lot very xenophobic.
As an example I was in a bar in New York around 25 years years ago and talking to a guy who was saying athletics was his real love. So I said "well we are doing quite well at the moment with Seb Coe etc" He did not know who Seb Coe was, who at the time was the world mile record holder and had just defended his 1500 metre olypic title, which is one of the blue riband olympic events! So I took that to mean he was interested in U.S. athletes to the exclusion of all others rather than enjoying the sport per se.
I honestly believe the general anti soccer pro baseball, basketball American Football is connected to that.
Bring on the red k :)

GJC
06-05-2009, 08:51 PM
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]
Witness Vince McMahon's XFL.

Probably a very valid point but who and what? :)

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]
who can't pick up the skills needed for baseball (or lack the arms).

Or can't afford the steroids? :boxing:

Ziggy Stardust
06-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Just leave soccer alone eh? Its like the Rock its not negotiable.
Like I say I really like Americans but do find a lot very xenophobic.
As an example I was in a bar in New York around 25 years years ago and talking to a guy who was saying athletics was his real love. So I said "well we are doing quite well at the moment with Seb Coe etc" He did not know who Seb Coe was, who at the time was the world mile record holder and had just defended his 1500 metre olypic title, which is one of the blue riband olympic events! So I took that to mean he was interested in U.S. athletes to the exclusion of all others rather than enjoying the sport per se.
I honestly believe the general anti soccer pro baseball, basketball American Football is connected to that.
Bring on the red k :)

As a counter-point you generally don't see Americans backing American fighters for no other reason than they're Americans.....unlike Tunney's crowd or many Brit posters I see on here. Most Americans really couldn't give a ****e. Now Americans DO have a thing about HOW a fighter fights: Euro fighters have an amatuer mentality and fighting style which Americans find a big turnoff (watch either Klitschko.....they have that same upright standoffish style that works in the amatuers). Americans are interested in amatuer boxing when the Olympics come around and that about it. Even then I think it has more to do with seeing the next batch of future pros. Truth be told some of the biggest arguments I've had on boxing websites have been with Brits who want to make professional boxing more like the amatuers. No thanks and I would hazzard to guess the vast majority of American and Latin American boxing fans would agree with me.

Poet

Ziggy Stardust
06-05-2009, 09:03 PM
How in the hell did you accumalate 18? I make 1 little Klit joke and.....?

I have over 5,000 posts and you get a positive rating shift of 1 every 500 posts you make. Plus I've been given FAR more green than red by other posters.

Poet

GJC
06-05-2009, 09:07 PM
As a counter-point you generally don't see Americans backing American fighters for no other reason than they're Americans.....unlike Tunney's crowd or many Brit posters I see on here. Most Americans really couldn't give a ****e. Now Americans DO have a thing about HOW a fighter fights: Euro fighters have an amatuer mentality and fighting style which Americans find a big turnoff (watch either Klitschko.....they have that same upright standoffish style that works in the amatuers). Americans are interested in amatuer boxing when the Olympics come around and that about it. Even then I think it has more to do with seeing the next batch of future pros. Truth be told some of the biggest arguments I've had on boxing websites have been with Brits who want to make professional boxing more like the amatuers. No thanks and I would hazzard to guess the vast majority of American and Latin American boxing fans would agree with me.

Poet
I don't have much interest in amateur boxing, i'll follow it in the later stages if there is a particularily exciting boxer in or of course a Brit. Do wonder though in the future whether they will merge. We've added a round to amateur fights and chopped 3 off the pro's so maybe within ten years Pro's going down to 10 and amateurs up to 5 and so on. Wouldn't want to see it, I still miss the 15 rounders, but food for thought?

The Iron Man
06-06-2009, 09:41 AM
I have over 5,000 posts and you get a positive rating shift of 1 every 500 posts you make. Plus I've been given FAR more green than red by other posters.

Poet

I have never been given red before :D.

GJC
06-06-2009, 03:59 PM
I have never been given red before :D.
Obviously keeping a foot in the Klit camp :) I thought it was quite funny, obviously a sense of humour bypass

The Iron Man
06-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Obviously keeping a foot in the Klit camp :) I thought it was quite funny, obviously a sense of humour bypass

Nah im not really a fan of the Klit Bros'. I just generally stay out of NSB, i hit u with some green K btw, not just because you got red but i think based on your quality of posts you deserve it.

GJC
06-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Nah im not really a fan of the Klit Bros'. I just generally stay out of NSB, i hit u with some green K btw, not just because you got red but i think based on your quality of posts you deserve it.
Thankyou for your kind comments more appreciated than the green k which I still don't totally understand lol. Now if someone could explian the points to me before they mysteriously disappear..... :)

The Iron Man
06-07-2009, 01:47 PM
You get a certain amount of points for your posts, creating threads, replies to posts and your threads (i think). You can also use them to bet on certain fights or football matches etc in the betting section of the forum.

GJC
06-07-2009, 01:55 PM
You get a certain amount of points for your posts, creating threads, replies to posts and your threads (i think). You can also use them to bet on certain fights or football matches etc in the betting section of the forum.
Ah ok, thankyou for the info. I assume when you lose the bet thats when the donate button comes into play?

The Iron Man
06-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Ah ok, thankyou for the info. I assume when you lose the bet thats when the donate button comes into play?

Yeh thats right! There should really be a help section/thread to explain all this.

Ziggy Stardust
06-07-2009, 02:11 PM

You should really go to the vbPlaza and move your points into the "bank" before Tunney and his cronies attempt to steal them from you. You get interest there too btw.

Poet

The Iron Man
06-07-2009, 02:22 PM
A chat thread or sticky wouldn't go amiss in the section it seems!

Ziggy Stardust
06-07-2009, 02:27 PM
A chat thread or sticky wouldn't go amiss in the section it seems!

A chat thread sticky wouldn't be a bad idea. I think the Boxing History section is a much closer band of posters than you find in say NSB though maybe not as close as you have in the ethnic sections.

Poet

GJC
06-07-2009, 02:40 PM
You should really go to the vbPlaza and move your points into the "bank" before Tunney and his cronies attempt to steal them from you. You get interest there too btw.

Poet
This is getting far too complicated, I'm 70 for gods sake and do well to turn the pc on!!! :)
Kind of just like hearing and sharing opinions and learning different views. The articles lists and films are a huge bonus. A positive comment on a post I have made is more rewarding to me than these points and green things to be honest.
Betting on fights would be fun but I am usually the kiss of death to fighters I back.
I do find the level of personal abuse being thrown around disturbing though and it saddens me that obviously educated and informed people cannot have a debate albeit heated without all that nonsense.

Ziggy Stardust
06-07-2009, 02:46 PM
This is getting far too complicated, I'm 70 for gods sake and do well to turn the pc on!!! :)
Kind of just like hearing and sharing opinions and learning different views. The articles lists and films are a huge bonus. A positive comment on a post I have made is more rewarding to me than these points and green things to be honest.
Betting on fights would be fun but I am usually the kiss of death to fighters I back.
I do find the level of personal abuse being thrown around disturbing though and it saddens me that obviously educated and informed people cannot have a debate albeit heated without all that nonsense.

Oh, this is nothing compared to the verbal abuse you see in Yahoo chat. On the other hand, it's hard to find places on-line where that doesn't happen at least SOME of the time. You would probably like Fight Franchise site as I have yet to that sort of thing going on there. That site also has some of the real superstars of boxing posters from around the web there. The drawback is not many people actually post there so you can go days and weeks without having posts to respond to.

Poet

The Iron Man
06-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Oh, this is nothing compared to the verbal abuse you see in Yahoo chat. On the other hand, it's hard to find places on-line where that doesn't happen at least SOME of the time. You would probably like Fight Franchise site as I have yet to that sort of thing going on there. That site also has some of the real superstars of boxing posters from around the web there. The drawback is not many people actually post there so you can go days and weeks without having posts to respond to.

Poet

Could you pm me your Yahoo! e-mail if you dont mind?