View Full Version : Anyone got tips on building a ring?

spinksjinx
11-15-2004, 09:26 AM
I've got enough room after, I clean out my basement to possibly make a 10x10 ring. Which really isnt to big but it will serve its purpose and get me more sparring in and such...

I was thinking about laying down tires and plywood over that and then get ring canvas and lay that down and buy ring ropes and posts.....

Anyone got any suggestions to build one????

leff
11-15-2004, 10:44 AM
Ask someone who knowa about this.

Go to the srore who sellt ring ropes and stuff and ask, ask the manager at the gym.

plexmc
11-15-2004, 02:30 PM
damn call me when your done

spinksjinx
11-15-2004, 04:04 PM
I found a pretty decent way to do it and I found out that I have enough room to do a 12x12 ring :)

Im going to make a wood base 12x12

support it with beams underneath and lay plywood over it to support it and then lay the canvas down over the plywood.

I will be using wooden posts as the ring posts as well....

I went to Lowes and it is going to cost me about 200 bucks after all said and done minus the turnbuckles and such, However it is a start and hope to have it done before the new years....

I will take pics when finished.

boxer2k5
11-17-2004, 02:27 PM
i wanted to do this as well but have no space

i know you can buy rings and equipment from everlast

BTW where are you from

o yeah spinx i was aroudn 225 when i started posting here
after upping my workout and diet and taking the stack im down to around 210 215 in like 2 half weeks

by jan i will be at 185

elveiel
11-17-2004, 02:37 PM
If you decide to buy a cheap ring, then the below link is ok.

http://protecboxing.com/acatalog/

http://protecboxing.com/acatalog/cage=bags-montage2.gif

spinksjinx
11-17-2004, 02:55 PM
elveiel-Looks nice wouldnt mind having one but it is to tall.

boxer2k5-Glad to see that stack working for you keep it up and going, it only gets better...

Im from West Virginia.

Im not looking to splurge a whole bunch of money into it really, All I need is a square and some ropes.....

But I figured the cost would be around 200-300 which isnt to bad.

Dyl-G
11-17-2004, 09:36 PM
I've got enough room after, I clean out my basement to possibly make a 10x10 ring. Which really isnt to big but it will serve its purpose and get me more sparring in and such...

I was thinking about laying down tires and plywood over that and then get ring canvas and lay that down and buy ring ropes and posts.....

Anyone got any suggestions to build one????

spinks i heard an idea like that where if you want an elevated ring you can bury posts in the ground and put the pole through tires until your at the top and then build a wooden base and laydown gymnastic mats and theres your floor the turnbuckles you can probably buy online and the rest is up to your imagination. :rolleyes:

spinksjinx
11-17-2004, 10:51 PM
spinks i heard an idea like that where if you want an elevated ring you can bury posts in the ground and put the pole through tires until your at the top and then build a wooden base and laydown gymnastic mats and theres your floor the turnbuckles you can probably buy online and the rest is up to your imagination. :rolleyes:

It would be in my basement, I thought the tires would work as well (and they would) but my ceiling space is ridiculously low so im looking to elevate it about 3-5 inches.....

Turnbuckles I did find 25 bucks a piece *ouch*

Good Ideas though.

julDilla
11-17-2004, 10:56 PM
you need to buy a mat for that ring elveiel, cuz it doesnt come with one

Dyl-G
11-17-2004, 11:14 PM
It would be in my basement, I thought the tires would work as well (and they would) but my ceiling space is ridiculously low so im looking to elevate it about 3-5 inches.....

Turnbuckles I did find 25 bucks a piece *ouch*

Good Ideas though.

well if u got a low ceiling you may just have to go with cementing 4 steel poles in the ground instead of the tire idea. the gym i got to has padding and steel poles in the ground that go up about 4 feet with rubber cables and 4 turnbuckles, yeah 25 for each is a lot but think about how much money your saving over all those rings on ringside.com are like $3,000!

spinksjinx
11-18-2004, 12:00 AM
well if u got a low ceiling you may just have to go with cementing 4 steel poles in the ground instead of the tire idea. the gym i got to has padding and steel poles in the ground that go up about 4 feet with rubber cables and 4 turnbuckles, yeah 25 for each is a lot but think about how much money your saving over all those rings on ringside.com are like $3,000!

Yeah, I think I am going to have it elevated just a few inches probably 5 inches max.

I thought about using wooden posts but im not sure how those will hold up against someone leaning on the ropes and such....

boxer2k5
11-18-2004, 12:39 AM
hey spinks that ring elveiel posted isnt bad
its tall but i dont see why you cant adjsut it or cut some of the top off

im thinking about gettign that

edit: it says it here All Cages can be manufactured to suit restricted height situations. The Cage can be manufactured to be fully functional at heights as low as 130cms / 52". Standard height is approx 200cms 70".

if your basement is still to low you should thin about finding another place to put it

boxer2k5
11-18-2004, 12:47 AM
http://www.boxinggyms.com/tips/ring_23rd.htm
http://www.boxinggyms.com/tips/ring.htm
http://www.ticketsecrets.net/ring.html

spinksjinx
11-18-2004, 07:34 AM
Thanks for the links 2k5, Gave some karma to you.

The cage thing would be nice, but I wonder if they ship to the U.S. though.

elveiel
11-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the links 2k5, Gave some karma to you.

The cage thing would be nice, but I wonder if they ship to the U.S. though.

HA HA!! :p

Sorry Spinks, but i find it funny that an American wants boxing equipment from the UK!!

Its normally you guys who have the best stuff, i even have to buy tape and gauze from the US!!

boxer2k5
11-18-2004, 02:59 PM
HA HA!! :p

Sorry Spinks, but i find it funny that an American wants boxing equipment from the UK!!

Its normally you guys who have the best stuff, i even have to buy tape and gauze from the US!!

im in the same position as spinks

and yeah if we can afford us boxign ring we would buy it
but the cage is affordable and nice size

the only thing i was lookign at as well is its from the uk
it has to be over a hundred bucks jsut to ship

chilly9876
11-20-2004, 11:06 PM
take pictures and get hold of a welder to make that ring(the uk ring) for you,it wont cost much and isnt very complex at all!

boxer2k5
11-21-2004, 01:33 AM
nice idea i think i will check that out

andreyd
01-22-2005, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the links