View Full Version : size disadvantage

BigAlex
04-29-2009, 02:37 PM
I am a small hvy weight only 5'10 215lbs. What do you guys think I should do or work on for up coming fights? I know I will be the smaller guy in all or most of my fight so what should I work on? What pro fighters should I watch and learn from? I am not dicouraged though because Rocky Marciano was only 5'10 190lbs, & Tyson wasn't even 5'11. Any help?

Down4TheCount
04-29-2009, 02:45 PM
number one you need to get to lhw for the amateurs because at your weight now your going to be fighting super hw and your gonna fight monsters wich in turn = monster punches .

alza1988
04-29-2009, 02:47 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6-Elm0rnNDM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6-Elm0rnNDM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BigAlex
04-29-2009, 02:55 PM
number one you need to get to lhw for the amateurs because at your weight now your going to be fighting super hw and your gonna fight monsters wich in turn = monster punches .

ya i should think about that, but ive spared with some "freaks" and the power is definatly noticable but they are SLOW, but they are probably faster in the national or even state levels of competition.

alza1988
04-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Boxingnews technique magazine article
THE TALL BOXER
Against a tall boxer with good movement and a good left jab it is vital you get to the inside position to work . Otherwise you will have problems from the word go and he will keep you at range on the back foot , stopping you from entering his space .
How do you get inside his long reach ?
Parry lay back , push away are some common approaches adopted, but these usually prove ineffective .
Slpping and rolling are the probably most effective.
When facing someone taller, you must be able to slip and roll to gain the inside position .The best method is slipping because it leaves both hands free to counter .

BigAlex
04-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Boxingnews technique magazine article
THE TALL BOXER
Against a tall boxer with good movement and a good left jab it is vital you get to the inside position to work . Otherwise you will have problems from the word go and he will keep you at range on the back foot , stopping you from entering his space .
How do you get inside his long reach ?
Parry lay back , push away are some common approaches adopted, but these usually prove ineffective .
Slpping and rolling are the probably most effective.
When facing someone taller, you must be able to slip and roll to gain the inside position .The best method is slipping because it leaves both hands free to counter .

thanks. where is the "technique magazine"?

alza1988
04-29-2009, 03:25 PM
thanks. where is the "technique magazine"?

I've got it here in front of me , it's from this link but it isn't working for me .
http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/

BigAlex
04-29-2009, 03:28 PM
I've got it here in front of me , it's from this link but it isn't working for me .
http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/

ya the link aint working thanks anyway, so i'll work on my sliping tequnique should i get a slip ball like tyson used?

alza1988
04-29-2009, 03:36 PM
ya the link aint working thanks anyway, so i'll work on my sliping tequnique should i get a slip ball like tyson used?

The way I see it , the more training the better , so why not :boxing:

]

Pork Chop
04-29-2009, 03:51 PM
BigAlex
I'm in the same boat as you (10 pounds higher even).
I say screw dropping 40 pounds to get to light heavy (50 in my case).
My main sparring partner is almost 6'4.
A lot of kids today are straight up cowards, we should be trying to fight the best dudes we can so we can be the best - not trying to be the biggest bully in the smallest division we can get to.

The 70s, ie the greatest generation for heavyweight boxing, had a bunch of guys who were 6'3+, but they also had a bunch of guys who were between 5'10 and 6'.

You're right, bigger guys are slower.

By the time I've sucked down under 195, I've lost my endurance & my power, while being at a speed disadvantage - speed kills! I've seen a lot more guys who compete at light heavy & cruiser drop heavyweights than vice versa.

Just getting under 200 might not be that bad for either of us - but if it doesn't happen via hard core training & eating right, then it's not meant to happen, no need to force it.

When I spar the tall guys I just remember that closing distance is like paying a toll: I only want to do it once. On the outside, be defensive, but once that opportunity arises (either via slip, parry, or a clumsy opponent), get in there and go to work- head & body. On the inside, his long arms will have a hard time with the shorter distance. Also, don't stand right in front of him either, constantly off angle so he has to readjust.

RightCross94
04-29-2009, 05:53 PM
being a 5''10 guy fighting at 201+ is a bad idea, unless you have very good skills and experience you are gonna get pummelled.....you wont even have that much of a speed advantage, you are probably fat at that weight and will just be plain small for the division, drop the weight and fight at 178

Pork Chop
04-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Actually, I'm about 5'11, on a good day just under 6 foot.
I'm under 20% bodyfat, but even if I did lose 10% of my weight in bodyfat, I'd still be comfortably over 200 pounds.
Dropping to 178 would be VERY unhealthy for me.

I made it as far as 186.5 back in 2003 and promptly got KTFOd - my strength was gone (my weights in the gym were slashed in half), my power was gone, and my endurance was gone (by the end of camp 2 rounds of sparring had me gassed & in the fight I was gassed in under 30 seconds).

I wasted way too many of my competitive years listening to naysayers like you guys that said I couldn't compete.

I'm in my 30s now with a wife & kid, I'm basically going to have to hang it up soon. I don't have 6 months to try and drop 50lbs anymore. So I started competing. So far in smokers, I haven't done bad. The fights are tough but competitive.

At my old gym in Fort Worth, a shorter, chunkier gym mate (who's got a helluva punch) went pro as a heavyweight after 3 amateur bouts; so I'm not the only one. You don't have to be no 6'5" basketball player to fight heavy. Heck, 6'7 guy got torn up in another gym I used to go to by a guy who fights in the 130s and 140s.

If you're in shape, working out hard, and eating clean - but your not within 20 or 30lbs of your "ideal weight class", then you're probably not going to hit your "ideal" class. You can either accept that and not fight, kill yourself to make weight so you perform poorly & only fight once in a long while, or you can accept that and fight anyway, using what you got.

How would you think Joe Frazier would've reacted to people telling him "oh, you're under 6 feet and only 205, you have no business being a heavyweight". Gimme a break...

Lovely
04-30-2009, 12:27 AM
if youre taller, fight shorter. if youre shorter, fight even shorter. constantly move your head, dip punches and use punches that come from below. the other dude wont see uppercuts coming, so send one between the gloves and come around with a hook. thats THE tyson combo. overhand rights work really well cause they sort of come from below and he wont see them.

- just TAUGHT a tall dude the other day.

lots of body shots too. LOTS.

BigAlex
04-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Ya I've decided to stay at super heavy and work hard to fight my best, it's not right for the sport of boxing to have all these 6ft 5in 280+lbs freaks in the ring. The champions used to be popular because they were relatable to the public, like today with pavlik or hatton, or back in the day with joe louis, marciano, james bradock, or joe frazier. Ya i'm gonna go at super hvy. Thanks for the input guys.

cusd'amatokid
04-30-2009, 03:52 PM
you could cut to the 201 pound class, only 15 lbs, you should keep your power and be quicker and have better stamina