View Full Version : Prince Naaseem hamed overated?

them_apples
04-28-2009, 11:03 PM
recently he seems to be winning the Hamed vs Nelson thread by a fair margin, why is this?

Why is Hamed considered so great? Barrera beat him down and Barrera is a left handed orthodox fighter, going up against a southpaw. Anyone who knows boxing will realize what a horrible style matchup that was for Barrera, who completely dominated Hamed. People say it wasn't his prime, but in his prime, who did Hamed beat that makes him so good?

Jesus el Rey
04-28-2009, 11:14 PM
he's so overrated and such an awkward fighter...i enjoyed every minute off barrera owning his b*tchass

Dan...
04-28-2009, 11:22 PM
Agreed.

I liked Hamed but that poll is just ridiculous. Nelson would have whipped Naz.

MANGLER
04-28-2009, 11:26 PM
Dude was a beast at his peak. I think he earned the praise he gets now.

Clegg
04-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Hamed was very popular, whereas Nelson was very past-prime or retired when most of the people on here started watching boxing.

lexelterrible
04-29-2009, 01:11 AM
Hamed is always credited with bringing the big money to the lower weights, which is bull****. People act like there were never any exciting feather's before this amatuer. Sanchez accomplished more at 23 than hamed did his entire career.
Azumah Nelson was also exciting and would've smashed Hamed.

stefjonno1
04-29-2009, 01:36 AM
Dude was a beast at his peak. I think he earned the praise he gets now.

Hmmm, he fought a lot of over the hill x champs. He also struggled with a lot of nobodys as well, untill his power got him outta trouble. I think he's well overated. The big test was Barrera, we know what happend.

BennyST
04-29-2009, 03:00 AM
Nelson had way too much for Hamed. Nelson was one of the few guys that was able to handle Whitakers LW prime without looking like a fool. He did very well and knew how to fight him. He would beat Hamed as easily, if not easier than Barrera.

wmute
04-29-2009, 04:27 AM
I think that 90% of those who picked Hamed never saw Nelson in his 20s early 30s

BennyST
04-29-2009, 05:52 AM
I think that 90% of those who picked Hamed never saw Nelson in his 20s early 30s

Yeah, he was truly something else. Could just do everything brilliantly. Box, brawl, stick and move or slug it out like a madman. Hamed wouldn't be able to hurt him, and for anyone that brings up his loss to Sanchez as evidence that he might, go watch the fight first and you'll see why people say Hamed couldn't beat Nelson.

That was an inexperienced, fourteen-fight Nelson at the very start of his career fighting a peak Sanchez at the height of his skill.

mickey malone
04-29-2009, 06:50 AM
If Hamed had stayed with Brendon Ingle, he'd have been an ATG..
He fought like a bum without him, while leaving his exceptional natural talent on the shop shelf.. Shame on him..

TheGreatA
04-29-2009, 09:31 AM
I think it's more about Nelson being underrated than Hamed being overrated (although he is).
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pgXJgSJu_rQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pgXJgSJu_rQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X3nx2sxGAyA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X3nx2sxGAyA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wm0upxbBQjc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Wm0upxbBQjc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FAXnQLGo1Gs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FAXnQLGo1Gs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rISWI0c2b8I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rISWI0c2b8I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

-Blackout-
04-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Nazeem is an overrated fighter in my mind. Had crazy power, but was too focused on being a entertainer than reaching atg status and that showed in the Barrera fight.. He had a very big ego and was hilarious, I liked to see his fights, but I must admit.. Overrated when comparing him to who he fought.

Southpaw16BF
04-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Naseem Hamed was a very unique and exciting talent, he was a huge attraction across the world. His unifed his division ''featherweight'' and beat most of the best fighters around his time.

He was loved for his entertaining style/KO power, his ****ness, even some people just loved his entrances. When you watched a Naz fight you never knew what to expect. But his prime was short lived, in the end he weren't fully dedicated to his training, he become just obsessed with the KO, forgetting his timing of his shots and his boxing brain.

And in his featherweight era there weren't brillant caliber of oppostion with his best wins coming over Kevin Kelley,Wilfredo Vazquez,Manuel Medina, all good fighters but not known as greats.

When he did fight a true ATG he got virtually whiped washed and exposed and never come back to prove douters wrong like so many all time greats have after suffering first defeats. Would of also been great to see him fights the like's of Morales, Marquez-who he avoided,Mayweather, and if him and Manny would of been the same era.

So he never rubbed with much greatness and when he did he got beat, but he did make 15 defecnes of his WBO featherweight title, he unifed the division, was one of the most exciting fighters of his era, and was a pound for pound fighter and beat some good fighters in Kelly, Medina, McCullough, Bungu, and Johnson.

As for him being overrrated, at times I feel he can get underrated and overrated around here. People will hype him to much, while others will not give him the credit he fully deserves. It works 2 ways

In his prime Naz would of been a handfull for most featherweights, but no dout I would favour Azumah Nelson to come out with the victory if the two were to of ever met in there primes at Featherweight.

RiZo is Gay
04-29-2009, 11:33 AM
recently he seems to be winning the Hamed vs Nelson thread by a fair margin, why is this?

Why is Hamed considered so great? Barrera beat him down and Barrera is a left handed orthodox fighter, going up against a southpaw. Anyone who knows boxing will realize what a horrible style matchup that was for Barrera, who completely dominated Hamed. People say it wasn't his prime, but in his prime, who did Hamed beat that makes him so good?

Dude i made a thread about this only lastweek in NSB section,
it was a huge hit!
Stop copying me

RiZo is Gay
04-29-2009, 11:34 AM
And to add to that,
Naz was not overrated!
The kid was underrated

them_apples
04-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Dude i made a thread about this only lastweek in NSB section,
it was a huge hit!
Stop copying me

lol sorry I didn't know.

King_Krunky
04-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Yeah he was very over-rated in some aspects, but his speed was phenomenal!

Abstraction
04-30-2009, 03:08 AM
Over-Rated? Well, imo, Under-rated if anything.

Many say he should have come back when he lost, but fact is he no was no longer in it and really did not care, hence the lack of preparation and sacking his Coach Ingle.

But another way of looking at it is that he got out while he could, rather than going on and end up getting owned and probably losing his money and mind along the way.

Lacrimosa
05-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Hm... i never thought Hamed was a great fighter... He was very loud, trash-talking guy... Although he was very spectacular, it was absolutely clear to me, that he is not an ATG... One day the streak of weak fighters, whom he defeated, should have ended with meeting a true champion! And he faced him in Barrera!

Hamed was a monstrous puncher at his weight category, but i never found him an ATG... I think the only guys who do consider him great, are just impressed with his highly-spectacular style...

Sugarj
05-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Naz was at his best in 1995, he fought Barrera in 2001, well past his peak. At his best he was fast, powerful and elusive, his boxing skills were terrific. The late 90s saw his combination punching and defense decline. The Naz of 95 would have given Barrera a much better fight.

For those who didn't see him at his peak check out his fights with Steve Robinson, Enrique Angeles or Juan Polo Perez.

Before Barrera he received bad beatings in fights that he eventually won with Manuel Medina, Kevin Kelly, Paul Ingle, Augie Sanchez ( three of which were world champions in their own right! ). It was no suprise that he wasn't the same fighter with Barrera.

Abstraction
05-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Naseem knew Boxing is a mugs game, and as soon he no longer cared anymore, he retired. Something many boxers don't do and end up hurt and looking like idiots.

I dont really rate Barrera's win against Nas that much. Nas was notorious for no longer preparing properly, and i think at that point, a loss was going to come sooner or later.

dde91
05-10-2009, 09:47 PM
Yeah, he was truly something else. Could just do everything brilliantly. Box, brawl, stick and move or slug it out like a madman. Hamed wouldn't be able to hurt him, and for anyone that brings up his loss to Sanchez as evidence that he might, go watch the fight first and you'll see why people say Hamed couldn't beat Nelson.

That was an inexperienced, fourteen-fight Nelson at the very start of his career fighting a peak Sanchez at the height of his skill.

i agree and disagree with you. Mostly agree. Nelson was very Green in the Sanchez fight, and Sanchez was the more experienced champion. But i also feel that Sanchez wasn't at his peak. He was closer then Nelson at his peak, but he wasn't at his Prime peak. To think that Sanchez could have Been better then he was is scary to think. He would have been much greater

dde91
05-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Naseem knew Boxing is a mugs game, and as soon he no longer cared anymore, he retired. Something many boxers don't do and end up hurt and looking like idiots.

I dont really rate Barrera's win against Nas that much. Nas was notorious for no longer preparing properly, and i think at that point, a loss was going to come sooner or later.

Why would Naseem not prepare against Barrera, the best competition he was facing yet. Thats stupid.

Thats like Manny Pacquiao going into a fight with Mayweather, and only training for two weeks.

I see this as only an excuse for him getting his ass whooped

billionaire
05-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Why would Naseem not prepare against Barrera, the best competition he was facing yet. Thats stupid.

Thats like Manny Pacquiao going into a fight with Mayweather, and only training for two weeks.

theres a documentary out there on the fight and it basically shows him not caring enough, doing dumb **** like *****ing about not getting the penthouse suite and making barrera change gloves.....emanuel steward says he was concerned because he wasnt looking good in sparring.....all the naz groupies run with it and use the excuse that he lost to barrera because he didnt care.....

but the barrera that showed up in that fight would beat a prime nas, because he had the ability to think and change styles in the ring....nas could only do 1 thing he proved that against kevin kelly when all he did is trade knockdowns....

Abstraction
05-10-2009, 10:25 PM

lol dude, we're talking about Naseem here, not Pac...

Someone said about Nas "He does everything wrong except lose".

Nas was becoming complacent for a few years before he even met Barrera mate..

Why would i make excuses for lol? Not like i care if he won or lost, does not affect me regardless what happened.

Cadillac Man
05-10-2009, 11:30 PM
WAY OVERRATED...All you need to know is he never fought again after the beating Barrera gave him.

Dynamite Kid
05-12-2009, 04:17 PM

He is exciting like Mike Tyson, that is why he is so overrated.

Most the people who voted Hamed were probably Brits, and we know how impartial my fellow Brits are.:nonono:

Hamed fans will have you believe his trainer and his lack of focus towards the end is why he started to look bad in fights etc. I think it was down to his competition level going up.

He was down in his first defence against Alicea,he was getting tagged by just about everyone after that fight. I cant remember many fights where he did not get hit flush apart from a few blow out against Bungu,Hardy etc.

Kevin Kelly,Tom Johnson,Sanchez,Medina hit him many times. Wayne McCullough gave him trouble as did Paul Ingle late in the fight. The Soto fight was another terrible performance.

Flicker Jab
05-15-2009, 04:24 PM

Now, I'm no Hamed fan. And, the way Barrera beat him was something you normally don't see on the world level, unless a guy who got famous in Britain is coming to America to fight an American or American citizen with a proper set of balls. And that's exactly what happened here. He got famous in Britain, beat up a bunch of cab drivers, then he got everyone's attention by coming back and rallying with a hard right hand, he literally leaped and threw it simultaneously...after being knocked down multiple times himself..this punch stopped Kevin Kelley. Kelley, while not an all-time-great, is a damn respectable boxer.

I don't know why the Barrera fight shed the light on Hamed for you, though. The McCullough fight should've done that. Did you see Hamed get on his bicycle after he threw the kitchen sink at Wayne? Wayne goes back to his corner with his hands up. After that, it was all backpedaling for Naseem. That's all he did...after I saw that, my instincts were confirmed... I knew it was mostly hype.

Prettyboy Adam
05-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Way over-rated. Like a lot of British boxers tend to be.

The_Visitation
05-15-2009, 09:16 PM
WAY OVERRATED...All you need to know is he never fought again after the beating Barrera gave him.

Erm.. not quite. He beat Calvo to win the IBF featherweight title.

Leakbeak
05-16-2009, 01:05 AM

Because Nelson never fought the other world champions of course, whereas Naz became linear champion in his 17 title defences. If Naz is overrated then wtf does that make Nelson??????!!!! Stupid question.

I think Naz would have KO'd Barrera in the early days when he was avoided, and Marco went for Junior Jones instead. That's just my opinion but he did win a few rounds V Marco even when he was past his best and had lost the hunger. he was calling the shots in his training camp! even so, it is obvious that he was much better than nelson which is the issue at hand. Even his non-elite opponents such as tom Johnson and Kevin Kelly were much better than the dead wood nelson made a career out of. It should also be noted that the 126lb division is alot more talented than the then 190lb division and even the newer updated 200lb division is not so clever

Leakbeak
05-16-2009, 01:10 AM
Erm.. not quite. He beat Calvo to win the IBF featherweight title.

It wasn't IBF, I think it was IBO. Calvo was just European Champion and that level of fighter and it was meant to be a tune up for a comeback. However, Hamed didn't bother when he heard all the boos after a lacklustre performance. When the British public get over his early disappearance act, they will relaise how good he was and that he was the most talented fighter from these shores. Even though he didn't live up to that talent by coming back and scrapping his way to some big wins, he still did alot in bringing attention to the lower divisions. I think Marquez, barrera, Morales and even pacman owe it to him for making them into stars. That's Prince Naseem's legacy in the sport: a pure entertainer.

The_Visitation
05-16-2009, 03:33 AM
It wasn't IBF, I think it was IBO.

Yes, it was. My bad.

Pretty Boy32
05-16-2009, 05:39 AM
It wasn't IBF, I think it was IBO. Calvo was just European Champion and that level of fighter and it was meant to be a tune up for a comeback. However, Hamed didn't bother when he heard all the boos after a lacklustre performance. When the British public get over his early disappearance act, they will relaise how good he was and that he was the most talented fighter from these shores. Even though he didn't live up to that talent by coming back and scrapping his way to some big wins, he still did alot in bringing attention to the lower divisions. I think Marquez, barrera, Morales and even pacman owe it to him for making them into stars. That's Prince Naseem's legacy in the sport: a pure entertainer.

I do agree that Naz wasnt great in his return against Calvo!
But i dont think it deserved the boo's and ****,
Naz bashed him for 12rounds, that guy had a solid solid chin.
And took some flush power shots of naz that never shook him!
Did you see the state of his face after the fight???
What i am tryna say is ya naz didnt improve in that fight,
he didnt start throwing combos like he promised he would and there was no dramatic improvment since the barerra fight.

I do agree with you about his contribution to the lower weight divisons,
i love naz and always found him entertaining and extremely fasinating to watch!
His attitude grabbed peoples attention and he loved the lime light!
His still of fighting will never ever be matched and thats why i think he is so special

wmute
05-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Because Nelson never fought the other world champions of course, whereas Naz became linear champion in his 17 title defences. If Naz is overrated then wtf does that make Nelson??????!!!! Stupid question.

I think Naz would have KO'd Barrera in the early days when he was avoided, and Marco went for Junior Jones instead. That's just my opinion but he did win a few rounds V Marco even when he was past his best and had lost the hunger. he was calling the shots in his training camp! even so, it is obvious that he was much better than nelson which is the issue at hand. Even his non-elite opponents such as tom Johnson and Kevin Kelly were much better than the dead wood nelson made a career out of. It should also be noted that the 126lb division is alot more talented than the then 190lb division and even the newer updated 200lb division is not so clever

lost his hunger... against the best fighter he ever faced?

past his best... at age 27?

Can I have a refresher of Naz being avoided?

Who are his elite opponents if Kelly and Johnson are not? Can you find anyone as relevant as Gomez on Hamed's record?

BennyST
05-17-2009, 02:54 AM
lost his hunger... against the best fighter he ever faced?

past his best... at age 27?

Can I have a refresher of Naz being avoided?

Who are his elite opponents if Kelly and Johnson are not? Can you find anyone as relevant as Gomez on Hamed's record?

Can he find anyone as relevant as an undefeated, three weight champion Jeff Fenech?

Hamed faced one guy as good as Barrera. He lost. Nelson faced numerous guys as good as Barrera and some much better. Whitaker, Sanchez, Fenech, Gomez etc.

Or what about an undefeated Gabriel Ruelas. Well, he did have a loss in a fight in which he had to retire due to a horribly injured elbow, which he was winning comfortably. Apart from that he had just come off big wins over Jimmy Garcia, undefeated Jesse James Leija etc and Nelson beat him twice when he was about 36 or something.

Hamed didn't face anyone as good as Nelson. Not even close.

The Gunner
05-17-2009, 03:04 AM
I despise Hamed but i saw enough of him to relise while he was peaked and enjoying his boxing he gives in any fighter in history hell around his weight.

Hamed was over the hill by the time he fought MAB.