View Full Version : Greatest come from behind ko's

1SILVA
04-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Last night's virtual last second kayo win by Carl Froch brings to mind many great come from behind victories of the past:

Lamotta KO15 Dauthille
Weaver KO 15 Tate
Whitaker KO11 Hurtado
Toney KO11 Nunn
Chavez KO12 Taylor
Leonard KO14 Hearns
Briggs KO12 Liakovich
Kevin Kelley KO9 Ricardo Rivera
Foreman KO10 Moorer
Froch KO12 Taylor

In each of these fights, the winner was behind and needed a knockout to win. Kelley's fight was right after he lost the WBC feather title to Alejandro Gonzales. Rivera, and unknown, was way ahead with a round to go when Kelley scored a dramatic one-punch ko. If the members have any other noteworthy dramatic come-from-behind ko's, please enlighten us.

Cereal
04-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Corrales Castillo I

warp1432
04-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Corrales Castillo I

This.

Or Franklin-Johnson 1

1SILVA
04-27-2009, 01:56 AM
This.

Or Franklin-Johnson 1

I would have put Johnson-Franklin on the list but I didn't know the scoring at the time of the stoppage. Does anyone know the scoring of that fight?

mathed
04-27-2009, 02:22 AM
I like whitaker over hurtado, without the ko, he does not win. It was the most brutal ko I have ever seen.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yjTHLPmfBCQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yjTHLPmfBCQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

last ko on video

Greatwhitehope
04-27-2009, 03:15 AM
I like whitaker over hurtado, without the ko, he does not win. It was the most brutal ko I have ever seen.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yjTHLPmfBCQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yjTHLPmfBCQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

last ko on video

WTF was the ref waiting for?

BmoreBrawler
04-27-2009, 04:03 AM
Last night's virtual last second kayo win by Carl Froch brings to mind many great come from behind victories of the past:

Lamotta KO15 Dauthille
Weaver KO 15 Tate
Whitaker KO11 Hurtado
Toney KO11 Nunn
Chavez KO12 Taylor
Leonard KO14 Hearns
Briggs KO12 Liakovich
Foreman KO10 Moorer
Froch KO12 Taylor

In each of these fights, the winner was behind and needed a knockout to win. Kelley's fight was right after he lost the WBC feather title to Alejandro Gonzales. Rivera, and unknown, was way ahead with a round to go when Kelley scored a dramatic one-punch ko. If the members have any other noteworthy dramatic come-from-behind ko's, please enlighten us.

Corrales KO Castillo?

JAB5239
04-27-2009, 06:01 AM
WTF was the ref waiting for?

Whitaker was never known as a big puncher. In his defense, the ref was probably as surprised as everyone else and just froze.

Nice vid by whoever posted it. I was never a big fan when he was active, but what a great fighter Whitaker was.

▀ringer
04-27-2009, 06:18 AM

last ko on video

I second this.

Whitaker needed that knockout, badly.

He looked horrible all night, and the fight was very ugly, and hard to score.

How many times did Hurtado drop Pernell in that one, twice?

I bet Oscar De La Hoya was ****ting his pants up until the moment Pernell got that come from behind KO. :lol1:

Ziggy Stardust
04-27-2009, 10:59 AM
I voted Tate - Weaver as I remember how shocked I was when it happend. Whitaker - Hurtado is another good one. Here's one that didn't make the poll: Mercer - Fabriozo.

Poet

Southpaw16BF
04-27-2009, 11:24 AM
I second this.

Whitaker needed that knockout, badly.

He looked horrible all night, and the fight was very ugly, and hard to score.

How many times did Hurtado drop Pernell in that one, twice?

I bet Oscar De La Hoya was ****ting his pants up until the moment Pernell got that come from behind KO. :lol1:

Whitaker was knocked down in the 1st round against Hurtado and the 6th round.

1SILVA
04-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Whitaker was never known as a big puncher. In his defense, the ref was probably as surprised as everyone else and just froze.

Nice vid by whoever posted it. I was never a big fan when he was active, but what a great fighter Whitaker was.

Whitaker, one of the great defensive fighters of all time, had begun to slip by this point. His previous two fights against Wilfredo Rivera he looked old and shopworn. Hurtado totally domintated Sweet Pea, knocking him down twice and was on his way to an easy, lopsided win when Pernell attacked him in the 11th round, throwing everything at him. Hurtado was held up by the ropes, ala Benny Paret, and Whitaker hit him as though his career depended on it. A spectacular, brutal ko that saved his upcoming fight with De La Hoya. In that fight, Whitaker turned back the clock and made De La Hoya look foolish. Unfortunately, Whitaker lost a very questionable decision.

GJC
04-27-2009, 12:23 PM
I know it wasn't a dramatic last round but Barclays Hearns was a bit out the blue too

slicksouthpaw16
04-27-2009, 01:18 PM
It has to be Tate/Weaver, because Weaver was getting the socks boxed clean off of him until he landed that one punch, and the reason i voted this KO as the number one is because there was only a few seconds left to go in the fight. Tate had to feel unlucky that night.

Kid McCoy
04-27-2009, 01:24 PM
I know it wasn't a dramatic last round but Barclays Hearns was a bit out the blue too

On a similar note to that, Michael Spinks' KO of Marvin Johnson. Johnson seemed to be having the best of the fight when Spinks landed an uppercut from nowhere, putting him out for the count.

Of the ones on the list, I'd go for Weaver - Tate for the sheer drama.

GJC
04-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Marciano v Walcott 1 was a fight turner too, Marciano was well behind on points.

mickey malone
04-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Eubank Watson 2
Jackson Graham

Infern0
04-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Balboa ko 15 creed

1SILVA
04-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Marciano v Walcott 1 was a fight turner too, Marciano was well behind on points.

Great point. Rocky scored onf of the great one-punch kayos and he was well on his way to a decision loss. Totally missed that one

MarkScott
04-27-2009, 09:15 PM
One that deserves mention is Foreman over Ron Lyle.

http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Gans-Biography-American-Champion/dp/0786439947/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240782033&sr=1-3

sleazyfellow
04-28-2009, 12:40 AM
The best comeback victory ever has to be durell/moore, well for me it is. From the poll list I'd have to choose lenord/hearns.

oldgringo
04-28-2009, 12:54 AM
The best comeback victory ever has to be durell/moore, well for me it is. From the poll list I'd have to choose lenord/hearns.

Yeah I was going to ask where that one was.

How about Jorge Arce/Michael Carbajal? Arce was up 98-91 on all cards, straight up dominating, until Carbajal found that last power stroke and destroyed Jorge.

This is one of the greatest comebacks of all-time:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/599eA9_hBK0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/599eA9_hBK0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Castro was visibly hurt several times, was cut above both eyes and those eyes were also pretty much swollen shut. Castro is hurt again just before he pulls off one of the most stunning comeback ever.

1SILVA
04-28-2009, 01:58 AM
Yeah I was going to ask where that one was.

How about Jorge Arce/Michael Carbajal? Arce was up 98-91 on all cards, straight up dominating, until Carbajal found that last power stroke and destroyed Jorge.

This is one of the greatest comebacks of all-time:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/599eA9_hBK0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/599eA9_hBK0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Castro was visibly hurt several times, was cut above both eyes and those eyes were also pretty much swollen shut. Castro is hurt again just before he pulls off one of the most stunning comeback ever.

Great choices! Carbajal ended his HOF career with a dramatic ko of Arce. Castro, bloodied and battered, came back and knocked out jackson-1995's FOTR

ironjab
04-28-2009, 08:43 AM
ike williams v beau jack

talip bin osman
04-28-2009, 08:54 AM
jackson KOs graham...

micky ward vs alfonso sanchez...

lampley, merchant & roy jones were lambasting ward... lampley ridiculing him, then all of a sudden a left hook to the liver from ward made them look like idiots...

talk about comeback KOs...

Davros?
04-28-2009, 08:56 AM
It has to be Tate/Weaver, because Weaver was getting the socks boxed clean off of him until he landed that one punch, and the reason i voted this KO as the number one is because there was only a few seconds left to go in the fight. Tate had to feel unlucky that night.

Yeah Tate was supposed to be the next big thing that KO changed his whole life he became a drug addict and ended up dead shame what happened to him.

Miburo
04-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Can't go wrong with Weaver-Tate, but I would say Castro-Jackson; the referee was literally an instant away from stepping in to stop the fight when the punch landed.

Jim Jeffries
04-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Not sure, but Marciano coming from behind to stop Walcott in the 13th deserves a mention.

http://bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0170/4761/marciano-walcott_feature.jpg

GJC
04-28-2009, 10:07 AM
Zale v Graziano 1, was also another one, Zale came out for the 6th dead on his feet, just a matter of time before Graziano finished him off.

bklynboy
04-28-2009, 10:21 AM
Absolutely, the Marciano fight was the first that came to mind. That right hand was the best I've ever seen.
Regarding an earlier poster who mentioned Hearns/Barkley I would vote for that as one of the most incredible KOs ever. I mean the punch started inches off the ground. An unbelieveable KO.

GJC
04-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Absolutely, the Marciano fight was the first that came to mind. That right hand was the best I've ever seen.
Regarding an earlier poster who mentioned Hearns/Barkley I would vote for that as one of the most incredible KOs ever. I mean the punch started inches off the ground. An unbelieveable KO.
Yes I think that Hearns was about the only person who couldn't see it coming a mile off. I quoted it as a come back blow because whilst early in the fight Hearns was beating the granny out of Barklay.

Silkstone
04-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Eubank Watson anybody?

rocky_balboa23
04-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Rolando Navarette vs Rafael Limon-I have never actually seen this fight..I just heard stories bout this..For those who saw this fight live..Can u share your thoughts bout this..I just heard that navarette was winning this fight before he was KOed with i think 10 seconds left of the fight

Mosley vs Mayorga as well

Cerullo G.O.D
04-28-2009, 12:58 PM
Where's Nigel Benn HOSPITAL8 McClellan? Seems a bit of an oversight for such a funny night of boxing: Benn out of the ring in round one, only to send McClellan cartwheeling into darkness by round 8 - British BOMBS.

1SILVA
04-28-2009, 01:56 PM
jackson KOs graham...

micky ward vs alfonso sanchez...

lampley, merchant & roy jones were lambasting ward... lampley ridiculing him, then all of a sudden a left hook to the liver from ward made them look like idiots...

talk about comeback KOs...

Great choices!!!!! Ward lost every round before ko'ing Sanchez. Also, Ward was behind when he scored a come from behind ko in the final round against Reggie Green

rocky_balboa23
04-28-2009, 02:00 PM
Where's Nigel Benn HOSPITAL8 McClellan? Seems a bit of an oversight for such a funny night of boxing: Benn out of the ring in round one, only to send McClellan cartwheeling into darkness by round 8 - British BOMBS.

Gotta agree with u on this one..it was a great fight indeed plus the atmosphere of that fight was great because the spectators were so animated..I think Naseem hamed was even at ringside cheering wildly for Benn..=) green K for

Argentine
07-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Castro-Jackson I,was insane!

MANGLER
07-03-2009, 03:40 PM
I vote Foreman. **** was historical.

Slimey Limey
07-03-2009, 03:48 PM
http://www.virginmedia.com/images/marciano-walcott.jpg

http://i.cnn.net/si/fannation/marciano-walcott.jpg

Thread starter is a moron for not including this one. It's by far the best.

mickey malone
07-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Colin Jones Kirkland Laing... Twice!

Hagler Hearns has godda be up there..

John H Stracey Jose Napoles

Marciano Moore/Walcott

Fitzimmonds Corbett

McGoorty
09-12-2011, 01:48 PM

Lamotta KO15 Dauthille
Weaver KO 15 Tate
Whitaker KO11 Hurtado
Toney KO11 Nunn
Chavez KO12 Taylor
Leonard KO14 Hearns
Briggs KO12 Liakovich
Foreman KO10 Moorer
Froch KO12 Taylor

LaMotta Vs Dauthille ..... without any doubt.

fitefanSHO
09-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Chavez should not have "needed" a KO in the 12th to win against Taylor.

A knockdown, maybe, which he got...but a KO?

I had Chavez slightly ahead going into the 12th, by a point.

Fight even entering final frame at worst.

Richard Steele made the right call and by stopping that fight, he gave the fight to it's rightful winner, avoiding what would have been a terribly unjust decision on the part of the judges.

(my vote was Foreman KO10 Moorer)

SCtrojansbaby
09-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Out of those I would go with Chavez Taylor but the obvious answer is Corrales Castillo 1

McGoorty
09-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Out of those I would go with Chavez Taylor but the obvious answer is Corrales Castillo 1
BULL'S TESTICLES................ admit it, you have never even seen LaMotta Vs Dauthille have you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........... i can hear the MAGENTABOy thinking to himself..... who's this LaMotta fellow ????