View Full Version : Ray Robinson Thoughts On Willie Pep

Southpaw16BF
04-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Here's what Historian Mike Silver said what Ray Robinson's thought's are of the great Willie Pep.

''The greatest compliment, I think, any boxer could ever get was having Sugar Ray Robinson, say, and I remember him saying this, that he admired Pep's boxing ability more than any other fighter he'd ever seen."

them_apples
04-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Here's what Historian Mike Silver said what Ray Robinson's thought's are of the great Willie Pep.

this must mean Pep would destroy Duran, Whitaker, Mayweather, Pacquiao and Mosley all in one night.

It's good to hear things like this but you have to keep in mind fighters always admire their heroes.

THE REED™
04-24-2009, 03:36 PM
this must mean Pep would destroy Duran, Whitaker, Mayweather, Pacquiao and Mosley all in one night.

It's good to hear things like this but you have to keep in mind fighters always admire their heroes.

Considering Ray Robinson never saw any of those fighters you just listed fight... I dont think that means that at all...

them_apples
04-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Considering Ray Robinson never saw any of those fighters you just listed fight... I dont think that means that at all...

EDIT

I was taking a swipe at the Rocky thread..about Ali.

Southpaw16BF
04-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Why must this mean Pep would destroy them fighters???:thinking:

You say it's good to hear things like this, but you have to keep in mind fighters always admire their heroes. Your point being. All what you have just posted dosen't make a a blind bit of sense.

them_apples
04-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Why must this mean Pep would destroy them fighters???:thinking:

You say it's good to hear things like this, but you have to keep in mind fighters always admire their heroes. Your point being. All what you have just posted dosen't make a a blind bit of sense.

Yes I know it doesn't make sense..I was taking a swipe at the "Ali admired Rocky so it must mean Rocky would own everybody" thread

just ignore my comment then

Southpaw16BF
04-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Yes I know it doesn't make sense..I was taking a swipe at the "Ali admired Rocky so it must mean Rocky would own everybody" thread

just ignore my comment then

Well at that present moment in time I didn't know what you were going on about, and you say just ignore my comment, that would be pretty hard as it was the first reply on the thread i started, and I wanted to know what you were going about, as it didn't make no sense what so ever.

TheGreatA
04-24-2009, 03:52 PM

Robinson and Pep started their careers at the same time though. Pep had a lot of respect for Robinson and Robinson had a lot of respect for Pep.

They fought each other in the amateurs once and I also have film of an exhibition boxing match between the two from 1965 when both men were in their 40's.

Pep and Robinson had somewhat contrasting styles since Robinson was all offense while Pep was very defensive. Both were great at what they did, obviously.

Southpaw16BF
04-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Here's a picture of Willie Pep and Joe Louis together.
http://www.thesweetscience.com/images/9538/willie_pep_joe_louis_240x230_20061128.jpg

Reggie Miller
04-24-2009, 06:08 PM

Robinson was still alive during Duran's time.
but not the others.

Southpaw16BF
04-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Robinson was still alive during Duran's time.
but not the others.

He may have seen Whitaker box in the 1984 Olympics as he was 62 years old and died when he was 67 years old. But who knows.........

Reggie Miller
04-25-2009, 12:15 AM
Robinson in the Mid-80's was fading with Alzheimer's Disease.

too bad he never got to see Mike Tyson.

GJC
04-25-2009, 09:35 AM
I have to say that if I was going to sit someone in front of some films to teach them how to box Joe Louis, SRR and Pep would be the ones I would choose.