View Full Version : Rodrigo Gracie signs with K-1

DOGGx0
05-27-2004, 06:43 PM
Source: http://news.adcombat.com/article.html?id=6838

A short while back it was announced that Rodrigo Gracie was in negotiations with K-1. Now, with Rodrigo's fifth consecutive win against Japan's Hyiato 'Mach' Sakurai, K-1 knew they had to make a move. So the deal is done: Rodrigo Gracie signed a 3 fight deal with K-1!

The details of the fights are not yet available and opponents have not been discussed, but it is now confirmed that Rodrigo signed a 3 fight minimum/ 1 year deal with Mega event K-1 MMA. The contract includes a 3 year management deal with K-1 for promotions and other considerations in Japan.

Rodrigo, will be accompanied by his cousin Royce Gracie for his fights in Japan .

ADCC caught up with Rodrigo to find out whats up....

http://news.adcombat.com/images/articles/6838/Rodrigo%20Gracie%201.jpg

KP: You you must be very excited to have signed this deal
RG: Yes, we have been working on the deal for a while now, and I am very pleased that it has been finalized. Its time for Gracie's to start competing in K-1 events.

KP: Have you started training, even though you do not have an opponent yet?
RG: I have been training and staying in shape, an opponent is not important for training, only for fight strategy, so yes, I have been training and keeping myself in shape.

KP: You are currently undefeated in MMA competitions, does that put pressure on your for your fights?
RG: I am a Gracie, that puts pressure on me for the fights, the record is just a record. Its what's in your heart that matters. Anything can happened in the ring, the only way to know that is to step in to the ring.

KP: Your cousin Royce Gracie will be going to Japan with you, anything to say about that.
RG: Yes I am very happy to be able to have him around. I have been talking to him a lot, he has a lot of experience in MMA and inside into fighting, I think its a good person for me to listen and learn. I still train with Renzo, the family now is more united than ever.

KP: Anything you want to add
RG: Just want to thank all my fans and supporters in the US and Japan, my students and family. I am very excited about this opportunity and I think you will see a more focused and determined fighter this time around in K-1

KP: Thank you
RG: My pleasure

Slacker
05-27-2004, 06:56 PM
Is he fighting MMA or K-1?

DOGGx0
05-27-2004, 07:02 PM
K-1 MMA. 170lbs. Looks like Penn has some more competition now.

Mr. Beelzebub
05-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Rodrigo is the only Gracie that has had a couple "competitive" wins as of late.

Kempo Chris
05-30-2004, 02:55 AM
rodrigo vs. penn - sounds sweet

Bluecifer
06-01-2004, 06:40 PM
Rodrigo is too tall for 170, I think he's a natural 185lber. He'll probably lose strength at that weight. I must admit though, that guy is so slick on the ground, I'd love to see him fight BJ.