View Full Version : Harry Greb Never lost aainst a Heavyweight

cotto16
04-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Even the great jack dempsey and his manager didnt want nothing to do with greb after harry had the better of dempsey in a heated sparring encounter.

TheGreatA
04-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Tunney was a heavyweight in their last fight.

cotto16
04-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Tunney was a heavyweight in their last fight.

Yeah tunney was a couple of pounds over lightheavyweight limit, besides toney was a former lightheavy, all there other fights had been at that weight

mickey malone
04-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Even the great jack dempsey and his manager didnt want nothing to do with greb after harry had the better of dempsey in a heated sparring encounter.
Harry Greb is an ATG also..
Gene Tunney has always been no10 on my HW list..
Greb was the only man ever to beat him..
Always twin him off with Les Darcy... Tragic

MarkScott
04-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Greb was a great fighter. There's a new book out about him.

http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Gans-Biography-American-Champion/dp/0786439947/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240329666&sr=1-1

cotto16
04-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Greb was a great fighter. There's a new book out about him.

http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Gans-Biography-American-Champion/dp/0786439947/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1240329666&sr=1-1

Am thinking of geting the joe gans book, the last 2 books i read they had been wriiten about fighters billy conn and harry greb, but they had far to manny newspaper reports and not enough about the fighter and his personal life

mickey malone
04-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Am think of geting the joe gans book, the last 2 books of fighters i read that have been wriiten about fighters i havent liked, the billy conn and harry greb book had far to manny newespaper reports and not enough about the fighter and his personal life
don't want to spoil the thread, but have you ever read 'Facing Ali' ? It has been mentioned on here recently.. Knowing me (dumbass lol) it may have been you..
If not...... Right up ur alley!

JAB5239
04-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Am think of geting the joe gans book, the last 2 books of fighters i read that have been wriiten about fighters i havent liked, the billy conn and harry greb book had far to manny newespaper reports and not enough about the fighter and his personal life

Im reading "Barney Ross" right now and if you want a book that talks about a fighters personal life, this is a pretty good one so far. Talks about the murder of his father, his gambling habit, how he grew up, ties to Al Capone, other top fighters from his neighborhood including Jackie Feilds, Kingfish Levinski, etc. His fights with Jimmy McClarnin. Also talks about growing up with and his life long friendship with Jack Ruby (who killed Lee Harvey Oswald). Very good read so far.

cotto16
04-21-2009, 05:29 PM
don't want to spoil the thread, but have you ever read 'Facing Ali' ? It has been mentioned on here recently.. Knowing me (dumbass lol) it may have been you..
If not...... Right up ur alley!

Yeah faceing ali is a great read

cotto16
04-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Im reading "Barney Ross" right now and if you want a book that talks about a fighters personal life, this is a pretty good one so far. Talks about the murder of his father, his gambling habit, how he grew up, ties to Al Capone, other top fighters from his neighborhood including Jackie Feilds, Kingfish Levinski, etc. His fights with Jimmy McClarnin. Also talks about growing up with and his life long friendship with Jack Ruby (who killed Lee Harvey Oswald). Very good read so far.

The barney ross book sounds a great read will have to get it

cotto16
04-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Harry Greb vs Dempsey has got to be the best fight of 1920's not to happen

TheGreatA
04-22-2009, 12:16 PM
Harry Greb vs Dempsey has got to be the best fight of 1920's not to happen

I'd say that Wills vs Dempsey is.

Greb could have made a fight out of it though, he achieved great results against many heavyweight contenders. According to reports he often got the better of Dempsey in sparring.