View Full Version : davey moore

talip bin osman
04-20-2009, 12:11 AM
i remember him best for his fight against roberto duran...

besides that, all i know is he KOed wilfred benitez in their fight...

thats about it...

can the more knowledgeable posters here enlighten me abut him? was he the lineal champion @ the time duran fought him? was he "the man" @ that division during that time?

was he a force to contend with pre-duran?

thanks people...

cotto16
04-20-2009, 06:10 AM

thats about it...

can the more knowledgeable posters here enlighten me abut him? was he the lineal champion @ the time duran fought him? was he "the man" @ that division during that time?

thanks people...

Davey Moore was an outstanding amature boxer haveing over 300 fights, winning the golden gloves. He become wba world champion on his 8th or 9th fight made 3 title defences i think? before he met duran, Was never really the same after the beating robero duran gave him, Duran was on top form that night, and also caught davey with alot of thumbs which is not cool. Davey was also best friends with Iran barkley, it was a big grudge match when barkley and duran boxed, cos barkley blamed davey's defeat on roberto thumbing davey which could of cost him the fight.

Southpaw16BF
04-20-2009, 06:26 AM
Davey Moore was born June 6th 1959. He started boxing at age 15. After a outstanding amature career which included 1976 New York Golden Gloves Lightweight Sub-Novice Champion
1977, 1978, & 1979 New York Golden Gloves Welterweight Open Champion
Competed in the 1980 New York Golden Gloves Welterweight Open Division, losing to Pedro Vilella, himself a three-time New York Golden Gloves Champion.
Competed in the 1980 Olympic Trials as a welterweight, losing to future Undisputed World Welterweight Champion Donald Curry.

He turned Pro in 1980 defeating Jesus Saucedo, after only 8 Pro fights Moore was given a shot at the WBA Jr Middlweight Title against 15-0 Tadashi Mihara in 1982.Moore stopped Mihara in 6 rounds.

After this Moore would make 3 defences of the crown against Charlie Weir, Ayub Kalule and Gary Guiden. Before meeting the great Roberto Duran in 1983 at Madison Square Garden.

I don't think Moore or his team knew quite what they were in for that night as in Duran's last 4 fight he was 2-2, and in those set of fights had been beat by tricky Brit Kirkland Laing 23-3-1 who was a decent/good britsh fighter and struggled against Englands Jimmy Batten. But he had looked very impressive the fight before against Pipino Cuevas.

Moore was given a terrible beating at the hands of Duran before being stopped in 8 one sided rounds. After this Moore was never the same.

And it all went down hill, he got a win over Wilfred Benitez due to Benitez breaking his ankle in the second. And then he would fail in a bid to capture the IBF 154 title against Buster Drayton and then he would have 6 more fights, before suffering a freak acciedent that would kill him at the age of 29. Very Sad.

But in his prime Moore was a accomplished fighter, but I don't think reached all of his potential.

1SILVA
04-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Davey Moore was an outstanding amature boxer haveing over 300 fights, winning the golden gloves. He become wba world champion on his 8th or 9th fight made 3 title defences i think? before he met duran, Was never really the same after the beating robero duran gave him, Duran was on top form that night, and also caught davey with alot of thumbs which is not cool. Davey was also best friends with Iran barkley, it was a big grudge match when barkley and duran boxed, cos barkley blamed davey's defeat on roberto thumbing davey which could of cost him the fight.

Davey Moore died in a tragic accident in June, 1988, a few days before barkley's fight with Thomas hearns. barkley scored a spectacular 3rd round ko and dedicated the fight to Moore, his fallen best friend. Moore lost in the 1980 US Olympic team Welter finals to Donald Curry

Fi5hbone
04-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Davey Moore was born June 6th 1959. He started boxing at age 15. After a outstanding amature career which included 1976 New York Golden Gloves Lightweight Sub-Novice Champion
1977, 1978, & 1979 New York Golden Gloves Welterweight Open Champion
Competed in the 1980 New York Golden Gloves Welterweight Open Division, losing to Pedro Vilella, himself a three-time New York Golden Gloves Champion.
Competed in the 1980 Olympic Trials as a welterweight, losing to future Undisputed World Welterweight Champion Donald Curry.

He turned Pro in 1980 defeating Jesus Saucedo, after only 8 Pro fights Moore was given a shot at the WBA Jr Middlweight Title against 15-0 Tadashi Mihara in 1982.Moore stopped Mihara in 6 rounds.

After this Moore would make 3 defences of the crown against Charlie Weir, Ayub Kalule and Gary Guiden. Before meeting the great Roberto Duran in 1983 at Madison Square Garden.

I don't think Moore or his team knew quite what they were in for that night as in Duran's last 4 fight he was 2-2, and in those set of fights had been beat by tricky Brit Kirkland Laing 23-3-1 who was a decent/good britsh fighter and struggled against Englands Jimmy Batten. But he had looked very impressive the fight before against Pipino Cuevas.

Moore was given a terrible beating at the hands of Duran before being stopped in 8 one sided rounds. After this Moore was never the same.

And it all went down hill, he got a win over Wilfred Benitez due to Benitez breaking his ankle in the second. And then he would fail in a bid to capture the IBF 154 title against Buster Drayton and then he would have 6 more fights, before suffering a freak acciedent that would kill him at the age of 29. Very Sad.

But in his prime Moore was a accomplished fighter, but I don't think reached all of his potential.

Nice post...

shuggt
04-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks guys for all the info on Davey Moore - he was a very young world champion-21 I think.The referee and his corner did him no favours in the Duran beating-, he should have been pulled out-sad to hear of his tragic end.

mickey malone
04-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Remember him well.. Everything happened so early for him including his tragic death..
I believe he was crushed by his own car when the handbrake failed..

talip bin osman
04-20-2009, 07:04 PM
just finished rewatching his fight against benitez...

the size difference was apparent... he applied pressure like crazy against wilfred...

mickey malone
04-21-2009, 05:38 AM
just finished rewatching his fight against benitez...

the size difference was apparent... he applied pressure like crazy against wilfred...
Benitez had a very strange carrer also.. 3 weight world champ and burned out at 23.. Won his 1st at 17! I believe this is still a record.. Davey got him at the right time & TKO'd him quicker than anyone.. Taking nothing away from Moore though... He was just a rookie at the time..

GJC
04-21-2009, 09:23 AM
I remember the Moore Duran fight very well at the time it was thought that Moore would finish off Duran's career ironically Duran pretty much ruined Moore. I don't think many fighters would have lived with Duran that night especially a relatively young inexperienced fighter. Agree Moore's corner left him in far too long, had they have pulled him out he could have absorbed the lessons and come back a better fighter. Many don't realise how high Moore was rated at that time.

mickey malone
04-21-2009, 10:58 AM
I remember the Moore Duran fight very well at the time it was thought that Moore would finish off Duran's career ironically Duran pretty much ruined Moore. I don't think many fighters would have lived with Duran that night especially a relatively young inexperienced fighter. Agree Moore's corner left him in far too long, had they have pulled him out he could have absorbed the lessons and come back a better fighter. Many don't realise how high Moore was rated at that time.
Spot! I'm pretty sure he was in the P4P lists at the time & it was considered a remarkable shock that 'Piedra' had won.. Won quite brutally to.. Remember Moore having a lot of damage to his mouth & was bleeding heavily through the gumshield..
Would have liked to have seen Duran settle at L/M

Can you imagine ?

Duran Jackson
Duran Mugabe
Duran Mc Callum
Duran Graham

cotto16
04-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Spot! I'm pretty sure he was in the P4P lists at the time & it was considered a remarkable shock that 'Piedra' had won.. Won quite brutally to.. Remember Moore having a lot of damage to his mouth & was bleeding heavily through the gumshield..
Would have liked to have seen Duran settle at L/M

Can you imagine ?

Duran Jackson
Duran Mugabe
Duran Mc Callum
Duran Graham

Yeah i agree with you there once duran lefet lightweight he never again settled at one weight, i always think who would of tuck duran vs mccallum they were due to meet but roberto went after hearns

Southpaw16BF
06-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Here is some footage of Moore, besides the Duran fight. Which most only remember him by and the only fight they have saw.
Davey Moore Vs. Gary Guiden
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rjH_eIf9eHA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rjH_eIf9eHA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SS1MJa7wDZ0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SS1MJa7wDZ0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Davey Moore vs Charlie Weir
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iKTzFrq_AC4&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iKTzFrq_AC4&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/emMo0J-I-6k&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/emMo0J-I-6k&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BattlingNelson
06-21-2009, 05:57 PM
I remember him most from the Duran fight, but also for his fight with Kalule, who fought out of my country. Kalule was on the downside of his career but was favoured against the inexperienced Moore. I think this was Moore's 12 pro fight or so.

Moore surprised a lot of people and stopped Kalule giving him his only second defeat. After that I knew that Kalule was finished and had very high expectations of Moore.

mickey malone
06-21-2009, 06:28 PM

thats about it...

thanks people...
OH... This one again....
Touted as the best thing since sliced bread...
Won the WBA L/M title (unbeaten)
Gets battered (badly) by Duran...
Gets run over by his own car....
Game over...
Not being funny or disrespectful, but that's it..... RIP

talip bin osman
06-21-2009, 07:43 PM
anyone on board thinks paul williams can hang with him though?

cotto16
06-21-2009, 08:06 PM
anyone on board thinks paul williams can hang with him though?

To be honest i think he would of beat williams.

Gettin Jiggy
08-06-2009, 11:45 PM
him and the duran fight, what a fight!

sonnyboyx2
08-08-2009, 05:24 AM

thats about it...

thanks people...
Davey Moore was a good fighter but Mike McCallum was "the man" at light-middleweight

Silencers
08-08-2009, 05:40 AM
Moore was a very, very good amateur that was probably matched against a great fighter like Duran way too early in his career, big things were expected of him but he was never the same after that beating he took from Duran. Can't really blame his management for putting him in against Duran though, Duran was going through of his rough patches in his career, his management probably thought Duran was a good name to add to his resume.

GJC
08-08-2009, 09:19 AM
It was quite a card for destroying boxers, Moore was virtually destroyed as a fighter and on the undercard was Collins Jnr v Resto.

Dynamite76
08-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Davey had tremendous power, like a lot of Bronx fighters, and with his boxing ability, I had expected him to beat Tony Ayala Jr, had they fought.