View Full Version : Matt Hughes vs. Renato Verissimo

Kempo Chris
05-19-2004, 11:49 PM
Matt Hughes vs. Renato Verissimo

What do you all think?

Kempo Chris
05-19-2004, 11:51 PM
I think Renato will own Hughes. Hughes got beat by Renatos student BJ Penn - so I can imagine what his teachetr will do.
I think Hughes will get tapped.

Fallout
05-20-2004, 01:13 AM
B.J is a much more complete fighter than Verissimo, but there is still a good chance Verissimo will win. Basicly, if the Matt Hughes that beat Sean Sherk, Frank Trigg and Gil Castio shows up, Verissimo will be in for a long long night. If the Hughes that fought Penn shows up, Matts getting tapped

Bluecifer
05-20-2004, 01:26 PM
Creed, I think the same guy showed up for all 3 fights. The difference wasn't in Hughes, it was with Penn. If Hughes leaves himself open like he did against Hallman and Penn, he can be caught, just like anybody else. It's just that no one else has capitalized except Hallman and Penn. I hate that you keep denying Penn the credit he deserves. Penn came in there with the right plan and mindset and just ****ed Hughes up. Like Trigg showed, Hughes can be taken down. Penn took him down, softened him up with GnP, and tapped him. End of Story. You keep making excuse for Hughes, well buddy, Hughes doesn't need your help. He just lost to a better fighter, get over it. That being said, I'm picking Hughes by ref stoppage in this one. I think Penn has a better shoot than Verrisimo that he worked on with team Quest and I think that's an essential weapon when facing hughes. Charuto will try to pull guard, and against Hughes that's a mistake. Charuto is gonna get pounded out.

Curly Howard
05-20-2004, 01:30 PM
Hughes was sloppy and didn't look like he was in to the Penn fight. If he gets back on his game he'll be the best @ welterweight again. Too bad he won't get a rematch with Penn.

Mr. Beelzebub
05-20-2004, 02:32 PM
Charuto has great balance and is sleek as hell on the ground... Look at his fights against Newton and Castillo, the man is no joke.

I got Charuto by Sub or by JD

DOGGx0
05-20-2004, 09:38 PM
I'm goin with Verissimo. Alot of people have never seen his fights nor know much about his accomplishments. I personally think that its not a matter of being Penn's student. IMO Bj is a better, more well rounded fighter than Verissimo, however Verissimo is no joke. Not many picked him against Newton... I honestly think thats due to lack of the fans knowledge of who he really is. Hughes is awesome, top 5 in his weight class, but I don't think he can beat Verissimo. It'll be one hellova fight, and could go almost the full 3 rounds, but it will end in Verissimo's favor.....

again..... in my opinion.

Fallout
05-20-2004, 09:42 PM
Actually Adam, I am really surprised you think Verissimo will win by decison. I mean, I think Verissimo has a chance even though I am favouring Hughes, but a decison? Matt has never lost a fight thats gone past the first round. Everyone knows to beat Matt you need to beat him early. He is a somewhat slow starter and fighting someone with his power and strengh will wear you out over 3-5 rounds. if Verissimo wins, it will be a first round submission.

handjobs4dollars
05-21-2004, 01:53 AM
Yeah but Hughes has the takedown defence to take away Verissimo's ground game. If it's standing I have to go with Hughes.

DOGGx0
05-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Creed
Actually Adam, I am really surprised you think Verissimo will win by decison. I mean, I think Verissimo has a chance even though I am favouring Hughes, but a decison? Matt has never lost a fight thats gone past the first round. Everyone knows to beat Matt you need to beat him early. He is a somewhat slow starter and fighting someone with his power and strengh will wear you out over 3-5 rounds. if Verissimo wins, it will be a first round submission.

Nah, I said ALMOST 3 rounds. I think it can go as far as that but would'nt go to decision. I, like you, think if its gonna happen, it will be earlier (I don't think I clarified that), but has the potential of going ALMOST the distance. Verissimo can hang, however Matt does have that power that not many have which as you said "his power and strength will wear you out over 3-5 rounds", and that is a known fact. Its going to be a good fight regardless who wins or how long it goes. I am definately anticipating this match. Its too hard to actually call a winner IMO, but I really want to see Verissimo win. Hes alot better than most think. He is top 5 IMO, at that weight. I guess we'll see....

sexz
05-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Charuto has EXCELLENT stand up skills maybe he will get to prove it this time around.

badguy
05-26-2004, 09:24 AM
I agree that Matt was very sloppy and didnt seem into the penn fight. He did nothing and Penn did three things a glazing punch, stopped hughes' half ass shot and submitted him props to penn but he wouldnt win the rematch and he knows it this is why he was never going to give it.

Slacker
05-26-2004, 12:09 PM
Verissimo still has something to prove I think. I mean, he hasn't beaten anyone in the top 5, or even top 10 depending on how you rank people. He looks very skilled and seems to be very well rounded. The question is can he do it when it counts.

DOGGx0
05-26-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by badguy
I agree that Matt was very sloppy and didnt seem into the penn fight. He did nothing and Penn did three things a glazing punch, stopped hughes' half ass shot and submitted him props to penn but he wouldnt win the rematch and he knows it this is why he was never going to give it.

You sir, are in DENIAL. I keep hearing this from people who DON'T PAY ATTENTION and don't check the facts before they go spoutin off about ****. BJ has said in 3 seperate interviews that he would love to give Hughes a rematch. Too bad Zuffa took that opportunity away from Hughes. Blame Zuffa, not Penn.

The End.

Curly Howard
05-26-2004, 05:23 PM
00=bj penn's nuts
:) <------ Adam, you are here

GNP
05-26-2004, 06:47 PM
Ive seen Verissimo fight once and he was very impresive, Ill have to say Verissimo will win