View Full Version : Who's better???

Curly Howard
05-14-2004, 01:43 AM
Wrestlers or BJJ?

lightweight
05-14-2004, 06:51 PM
In grappling for points, or for finishing someone, what terms are you talking here?

points=wrestling
finish=bjj

my overall best pick=bjj

Stain
05-17-2004, 06:56 PM
For mma, I'd have to go with BJJ. A wrestler with NO submission knowledge will most likely dominate for a few mins then get choked or locked. A wrestler with good submission knowledge is VERY dangerous. I wrestled for 9 years and have done BJJ for about 2 years. Both are very good, neither one is better.

Batman
05-19-2004, 10:18 PM
I wrestled someone that was 6th in the state and submitted him pretty easily. I think BJJ is better, but if you mix the 2 its an unstopable style

wondermut
05-19-2004, 11:25 PM
I submit you....you little *****

Kempo Chris
05-19-2004, 11:27 PM
BJJ

Batman
05-20-2004, 02:16 PM
you do way 100 lbs more than me wondermut

realkaps
05-23-2004, 05:44 PM
I think you need to incorperate both, Wrestlers who learn BJJ are great because they have better takedowns and ground control. Alot of wrestlers cant grasp BJJ though because a wrestler hates to be on his back..........

DOGGx0
05-26-2004, 06:49 PM
I'm not much of a wrestler, I'm all about jiu-jitsu. However, I'm gonna have to agree with Stain.

lol@batman & wondermut

Shaolin Bushido
11-20-2004, 06:31 PM
I wrestled someone that was 6th in the state and submitted him pretty easily. I think BJJ is better, but if you mix the 2 its an unstopable style
Damn, I knew it was a reason I'm so comfortable here. That's the combo.

Nhalcomb
03-23-2005, 03:00 AM
Bjj is much better from an MMA standpoint. Wrestling is almost exactly what you dont need. You are trained to be on your belly. Anyone who has been in MMa knows that means you almost instantly lose. Most commanly by a choke. However I have also noticed that Bjj guys tend to have little other skill. Currently in MMA comps most people have learned at least some takedown defence. So if you cant get the guy down, or down for long what else can you do. So, in my humble opinon I would say Bjj is better for your ground game, but both are lacking as single stlye for MMA.

-nick

Carlao
03-23-2005, 11:43 PM
Wrestlers or BJJ?

your questions is not the right one. I would tell you that wrestlers are better at wrestling and BJJ people are better at BJJ.

Now if you want an educated reply make a educated question. Now to reply to what I think your question was:

I've wrestle some very good people and gotten my ass tooled, then put the submissions into play and totaly kill them. If you are talking for MMA, I will say wrestling. Oh why? you might ask: well wrestling teaches a mental toughtness that no other sport can, it teaches you to take punishment and keep going forward, and is a great base to develop a solid G&P game to get a win.

Look at the top 10 guys in all the weight classes and you will see that 3 to 5 of them have a solid wrestling background.

I hope that my reply was educated and enlighting.
Have a great day! :boxing:

Carlao
03-23-2005, 11:50 PM
one more thing. All this people saying that BJJ is better for wrestling and that wrestling teaches to be on your belly, and that is has not submissions and the rest of that NON SENCE...

If you are going to a MMA fight now a days and you only train wrestling you are a ****ing tool. Same goes for just BJJ, same for just box, and Muay Thai. It's ****ing MIXED MARTIAL ARTS. That means that you are training and well knowledge in a different group of fighting technics. arghhhhh.

So with that said I would like to see any of you guys tell that to lets say, after 6 months of MMA, to Chris Pendelton or Cael Sanderson.

Shaolin Bushido
03-26-2005, 01:49 PM
I should've checked back on this thread a long time ago. Good stuff.