View Full Version : oscar de la hoya

talip bin osman
04-14-2009, 04:27 PM
now that he has retired, how do u rate his career? is he an all time great to u guys?

do his championships in 6 different weight classes mean anything when he is being compared to chavez, pea, hearns etc?

where does he stand with all the great fighters before him?

MANGLER
04-14-2009, 04:49 PM
He accomplished enuf to be considered an ATG imo.

-Blackout-
04-14-2009, 05:49 PM
He accomplished enuf to be considered an ATG imo.

What did he accomplish.. Losing 80% of every major fight he ever had..

Lost to:
Mayweather, Mosley x2. Trinidad & Hopkins even PACMAN

But he did win against an old Chavez who fought every taxidriver in all of mexico :biggthump

To me DLH's career gotta be the must overrated thing in the sport og boxing.. The man gained fame and props from losing major events. :wtf1:

I'm propably gonna get roasted for saying but nevertheless it's the truth

TheGreatA
04-14-2009, 06:02 PM
De La Hoya will go down as a bit of an under-achiever to be honest.

It seemed as if he were destined for greatness but he did not get much done after losing a disputed decision to Felix Trinidad.

Oscar did do enough to go into the hall of fame though, I don't think there's any question about that. He was brilliant in the 90's, not so much during this decade.

talip bin osman
04-14-2009, 06:43 PM
De La Hoya will go down as a bit of an under-achiever to be honest.

It seemed as if he were destined for greatness but he did not get much done after losing a disputed decision to Felix Trinidad.

Oscar did do enough to go into the hall of fame though, I don't think there's any question about that. He was brilliant in the 90's, not so much during this decade.

manchine sir, everybody... i would like to know since oscar started fighting professionally @ 130...

are there any fighter in history who started @ 130 to win a title @ 160?

thanks...

TheGreatA
04-14-2009, 06:55 PM
manchine sir, everybody... i would like to know since oscar started fighting professionally @ 130...

are there any fighter in history who started @ 130 to win a title @ 160?

thanks...

Roberto Duran started his career at 122 lbs.

Southpaw16BF
04-14-2009, 07:03 PM
No dout, De La Hoya is a future Hall Of Famer. He will go down as one of Boxing's biggest ever draws. And the only ever fighter to hold title's in 6 differrent weight divisions.

I always thought he was robbed against Felix Trinidad and deserved the second Shane Mosely fight. But De La Hoya had his fair share of luck, he shound't of got the Strum fight and was pretty lucky to come away with the win against Whitaker.

He fought most of his era's best (would of always liked to of seen him fight with Winky Wright) and did have great wins over Genaro Hernandez,Julio Cesar Chavezx2, Miguel Angel Gonzalez, Pernell Whitaker, Hector Camacho, Ike Quartey, Arturo Gatti, Fernando Vargas, Ricardo Mayorga, and was good enough to give P4P number #1 Floyd Mayweather all he could handle and losing by SD, in a fight many though he got.

He had great skills, fast hands and feet, a devestating left hook, a solid chin aswell as decent defence and heart.

It was sad the way he had to go out, taking a beating like that. But that wasn't Oscar De La Hoya that night, as i said from Day 1. But taking nothing away from Manny's victory.

De La Hoya shall be remembered well and like i said before thanks for the memories you have given Boxing and the fans.

Mayorga-Rules
04-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Oscar De La Hoya is an all time great, period.