Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ludwig vs. Penn K-1

http://www.mmaweekly.com/Forum/toast...id=2&tid=40314

Posted at mmaweekly.com

BREAKING NEWS: LUDWIG VS. PENN CONFIRMED! (Ken Pishna)
    Posted: 9:30:00 pm on 5/6/2004 Modified: Never

The first reports of a BJ Penn vs. Duane Ludwig matchup were reported earlier today by maxfighting.com. I just got off the phone with Ludwig's manager, Sven Bean, and he confirmed that the fight is a go and will happen at K-1's MMA show on May 22nd.

More details to follow on Friday's news page.

I am guessing this is gonna be under MMA rules (I would be a huge mistake on Penn's part to fight Bang under K-1 rules). I couldn't picture Bj losing this one.

Comment

Word from a source within the Duane Ludwig camp leaked out yesterday that Ludwig would be facing BJ Penn at the K-1 MMA show entitled Romanex on May 22nd.

MMAWeekly contacted Ludwig's manager, Sven Bean, late last night and he confirmed that indeed the rumors are true and that Ludwig is now preparing to face Penn at the Saitama Super Arena.

Also confirming the fight was BJ Penn himself. Speaking with Ryan Bennett last night at the Rumble on the Rock weigh-ins, Penn said, "It's going to be a great fight. This is one of those fights that a great ground fighter will face a great stand up fighter, we will see which style is more dominant. This fight will be at 170."

Bean spent all night Wednesday night and most of the day yesterday with K-1 before finally coming to an agreement. Among the heart of the issues being negotiated was the weight that the two would meet at. Apparently, Penn originally wanted the fight to be at or around 176 pounds. Ludwig had been cutting weight recently in preparation for a kickboxing bout in Switzerland and has never fought above 170 pounds before, so 176 was out of the question. After further negotiation, they did come to terms and the fight will take place at 170 pounds as both Bean and Penn stated.

Really, everything is stacked against Ludwig in this bout. He's coming in on 2 weeks notice. He's fighting at a much heavier weight than he's fought at in years. His training has been focused primarily on kickboxing for the past year, not MMA. According to Bean, "There are all the reasons in the world that point us away from taking this fight, but in the end, I'm really happy that we took it and so is Duane."

And why wouldn't they be? This will be Ludwig's largest pay day to date. No figures were laid out, but K-1 definitely wanted Ludwig to take this fight. Plus, he has nothing to lose. With the odds stacked against him, much like they were before he knocked out the "unbeatable" Jens Pulver, Ludwig isn't really going to be expected to win by most MMA enthusiasts. He can go in there and just go for broke.

Ludwig is genuinely psyched to take this fight. "Duane is more looking forward to this fight than his Super League fight (the fight in Switzerland that he has opted out of) or even his K-1 Max fight recently with John Wayne Parr," said Bean. When you've got nothing to lose and are ready to go all out, anything can happen. Just ask Kevin Randleman.

Comment

Ludwig shouldn't take this fight

Comment

Wow. Duane should not be taking this fight imo. However it is another opportunity to fight a great fighter.... I mean money is money, whatever... hes a fighter, but sounds like this is gonna be under mma rules, which bj would dominate. i guess duane has nothing to lose, if thats how he looks at it, and i'm glad that these 2 are going to fight... but at 170? MMA rules? Cmon now. I won't rule out that Duane does'nt have a chance, coz hes one of the best fighters in the world. Just.... WOW.... I dunno, I guess we'll see....

Comment

Ludwig could beat Penn under different circumstances. But the fact that he's only been training for K-1 and the weight is too much.
            I pray that Duane KOs him but I don't like weight and timing of the fight.

Comment

IMO, I think Ludwig has everything to gain and nothing to lose. Penn has more at stake here.
              Ludwig isn't expected to win at all. He's coming in on two weeks notice. He's fighting at 170, which isn't his ideal weight. And he's fighting possibly the number one pound-for-pound fighter in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly Howard
                Ludwig could beat Penn under different circumstances. But the fact that he's only been training for K-1 and the weight is too much.
                I pray that Duane KOs him but I don't like weight and timing of the fight.
                Yea, I read an interview he did not too long again where he said he hardly ever trains the ground game due to his main career in kickboxing. Also, watched an old fight of his recently and in a pre-fight interview he says it.... "I'm not that good on the ground, so hopefully I can keep it standing". I'm preaty sure Ludwig would KO Penn is it was under K-1 rules, not taking anything away from Penn coz hes got great stand up too. Penn has proved himself at 170lbs, I hope Pulver can too.

Originally posted by mmafanman
                IMO, I think Ludwig has everything to gain and nothing to lose. Penn has more at stake here.
                Ludwig isn't expected to win at all. He's coming in on two weeks notice. He's fighting at 170, which isn't his ideal weight. And he's fighting possibly the number one pound-for-pound fighter in the world.
                Good point, and I totally agree. However this "he has nothing to lose" is kinda washed out. I mean in a sense... yeah, true.... but on the flip.... its a fight, and that he can lose.. (as previously stated) to one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world. I'm sure 2-3 months of advance notice and Duane's performance would be a bit different from the one we're gonna see.

Hell, I'm happy either way. Can't wait to see it.

Comment

People didn't think Ludwig would beat Pulver ethier. I can't explain why, but I think Ludwig just might k.o Penn.

It all depends on what Penn shows up. If its the Penn that beat Hughes, Bang is in trouble. If its the Penn that fought Uno for the second time, or Matt Serra, Ludwig has a good chance

Comment

Hats off to Ludwig, tha man definately has grapefruit sized cojones. I still think BJ is gonna beat him though, if he can take down hughes, I don't see him having any trouble taking down Bang and keeping there for a GnP stoppage ro submission.

Comment

Working...
                    X