View Full Version : Is true MMA dying?

kcfman
05-04-2004, 03:02 AM
I remember when the UFC first started, then the changes (middle), and now (present day). I have been always a fan from the beginning to see the best fighter pitted against another best fighter. In the beginning, it wasnt only one fight. It was multiple fights for the fighter to accend to the top. Then it changed where the best only fight the best one time in a tournament. Now, you dont need the best to fight the best anymore to fight as the headliner.

I understand money and such for the promoters and blah blah blah. You got Silva vs. Sak for 3 times of where Silva destroyed Sak in the first fight, then second fight and then third fight. You got Mirko who got knocked out of a HW grand prix tourney in the first round, who may come back in a alternate match. You got Sylvia who couldnt defend his championship belt because of legal situtations but wasnt stripped of his title. (I believe Josh Barnett was stripped because of a similar circumstance).

K-1 is now having special matches (mma) to excite the crowds of their fans. Bob Sapp is a legend.

To the ones who have seen mma from the beginning. Is the true mma dying?

Mr Boogaloo
05-04-2004, 07:51 AM
No. It's doing what it needs to do to become financially viable.

Once the TV deal for the UFC kicks in... the sky is the limit.

Don't worry.

GNP
05-04-2004, 12:39 PM
just like anything you have good and bad growth.
the more people trying to put on shows and making their mark, the more good and bad growth there is.
Its always been and always will be about the $$$
At least for those with the power to make the decisions

alfuh
05-04-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Mr Boogaloo
Once the TV deal for the UFC kicks in... the sky is the limit.

they are getting a tv deal? going on cable?

DOGGx0
05-04-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by alfuh
they are getting a tv deal? going on cable?

Thats the word from Dana himself.

Fallout
05-04-2004, 01:02 PM
Dana has been saying that for awhile know. I take reports of t.v deals about to be signed with a grain of salt

mmafanman
05-04-2004, 07:02 PM
What exactly does "true MMA" mean anyway?

Fallout
05-04-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by mmafanman
What exactly does "true MMA" mean anyway?

MMA isn't dying, NHB is. I think thats what our friend is talking about

Leather
05-05-2004, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by Creed
MMA isn't dying, NHB is. I think thats what our friend is talking about

Agreed...

kcfman
05-05-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Creed
MMA isn't dying, NHB is. I think thats what our friend is talking about Yes you are correct.

Mr Boogaloo
05-06-2004, 12:34 PM
Well thank ****ing God NHB is dying. All the better for MMA, less ****ty publicity.

DOGGx0
05-06-2004, 12:35 PM
Mr. Boogaloo just penis slapped the correct.

Bluecifer
05-06-2004, 05:29 PM
KCF is shootoking?

DOGGx0
05-06-2004, 06:43 PM
No.

Kempo Chris
05-07-2004, 11:43 PM
I liked the No holds barred - it is pure sport
I enjoy mma and I think it is going to become big time one day - hopefully before I die

kcfman
05-10-2004, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by Mr Boogaloo
Well thank ****ing God NHB is dying. All the better for MMA, less ****ty publicity.

Well I hope true mma doesnt die. But if the present mma (I am talking about the ufc and pride), keeps on screwing with matches , it loses the prestige that was once held with the true mma fans and/or practitioners.

Ehrpees
05-10-2004, 08:45 PM
the good thing that is happening to the sport is right here.
People talking about the sport--what they like and don't like--what we say will change the sport when we think something should change
that's how things works