View Full Version : Not impressed...need some help

Owlzfan84
04-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm a big boxing fan and the past month i've tried really hard to get into MMA/UFC/WEC type stuff. And honestly i havent seen anything that has made me into a fan

So maybe its just what's happened recently. But maybe some of you guys could give me some good classic fights i could go and watch.

jakkups
04-03-2009, 04:12 PM
http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=182738

Move BRICKS™
04-03-2009, 07:24 PM
I'm a big boxing fan and the past month i've tried really hard to get into MMA/UFC/WEC type stuff. And honestly i havent seen anything that has made me into a fan

So maybe its just what's happened recently. But maybe some of you guys could give me some good classic fights i could go and watch.

Maybe if you could search deep within yourself to find out that UFC and MMA don't belong in the same and/or category, you will find your answer.

legitballa77200
04-03-2009, 08:27 PM
I've been a boxing fan since leonard /hearns days and i've been watching the ufc since it started . I dont see how some people can be fans of one and not the other . They are both amazing combat sports which incorporate different styles ,techniques and strategies to be the winner . mma is up and coming and is here to stay . its potential is yet to be determined and i don't think it's a threat to boxing and it never will .if you want to see a good mma match watch the battles that wanderlei silva and rampage jackson have. those are one of my favorite .

res
04-03-2009, 10:56 PM

Look for Anderson Silva and George St Pierre fights.

The truth is MMa is still evolving and is still very crude much like Boxing was in it's earliest days but those two fighters are a picture of the future of the sport once it has evolved.

The thing about MMA is that you have to know alot of different things in order to do it. MMA is about finding the perect fighter, so if I can wrestle well and I only know a little Boxing I can compete with both a very skilled Wrestler and a very skilled Boxer. In the match against the Boxer I just have to take him down and wrestle him. In the match against the wrestler I know enough to protect myself and at the same time I can land punches on the wrestler, something he is not equipped for. The end result is fighters who are more EFFECTIVE than any in the world but not as SKILLED as fighters who train in simply one thing. This lack of skill shows up in the matches.

The two fighters I mentioned above are exceptions who are impressively skilled both in striking and in wrestling (Which is why they are superstars in that world) and when more fighters begin to develop an all around proficiency like them, the sport will be a much more enjoyable watch.

It is still evolving.

Hawk O'Connor
04-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Look for Anderson Silva and George St Pierre fights.

The truth is MMa is still evolving and is still very crude much like Boxing was in it's earliest days but those two fighters are a picture of the future of the sport once it has evolved.

The thing about MMA is that you have to know alot of different things in order to do it. MMA is about finding the perect fighter, so if I can wrestle well and I only know a little Boxing I can compete with both a very skilled Wrestler and a very skilled Boxer. In the match against the Boxer I just have to take him down and wrestle him. In the match against the wrestler I know enough to protect myself and at the same time I can land punches on the wrestler, something he is not equipped for. The end result is fighters who are more EFFECTIVE than any in the world but not as SKILLED as fighters who train in simply one thing. This lack of skill shows up in the matches.

The two fighters I mentioned above are exceptions who are impressively skilled both in striking and in wrestling (Which is why they are superstars in that world) and when more fighters begin to develop an all around proficiency like them, the sport will be a much more enjoyable watch.

It is still evolving.

I completely agree. I try to get into it, I just can't...to me I think, as res said, the crudeness of it just doesn't appeal to me. It just doesn't flow like boxing does.

JabSandwich
04-04-2009, 11:08 AM
I completely agree. I try to get into it, I just can't...to me I think, as res said, the crudeness of it just doesn't appeal to me. It just doesn't flow like boxing does.

it mite help if u stop comparing the two, apples and oranges. and maybe u just don't like mma, its not for everyone (at least u gave it a shot)

Move BRICKS™
04-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Watching the wrong fights IMO.

Any boxing fan that I've ever known has enjoyed the fights in the PRIDE FC decade.

Or maybe it just hurts some boxing fans to see people fighting for real, idfk.

miamijohn
04-04-2009, 01:59 PM

Its a stylistic taste. I cant get into it . Ive been in boxing too long to truely watch any sport other than boxing. We have a Octagon in our gym. I just cant get into it. My guys i coach will often spar with an MMA guy to give both some training but when its time to step it up, I put an experience boxer in there.