View Full Version : How great Was Chuck Norris???

JoHnNyBoXeR
04-02-2009, 05:36 PM
I know He was a karate champ or whatever.. and everyone makes all these jokes about him but how good was he really?

Equilibrium
04-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Nah, it's just an internet phenomenon like pedobear and the xzibit jokes.

JabSandwich
04-02-2009, 08:53 PM
have u seen walker texas ranger? jk lol. Bruce Lee dusted him in Way of the Dragon (i know its a movie, but sick nonetheless)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TbIwQMBeC2c&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TbIwQMBeC2c&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Kbmunro
04-02-2009, 10:48 PM
anyone who gets drafted in to fight in a bruce lee movie, must of been one hell of a fighter!

i think people take him for a bit of a joke now with all these "chuck norris is so tough" jokes.

res
04-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Well along with Joe lewis (not Louis) he was one of the top karate champs of his era.

Karate tournaments were very limited by alot of rules back then though.

After that he started to became a movie star in the 70's. In the 80's he had even bigger movies, a cartoon (I used to watch it) action figures and all kinds of stuff.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wSU1Lvxy9Sk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wSU1Lvxy9Sk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

http://www.x-entertainment.com/updates/pics/am2007/am37/1.jpg

$ LegenD $
04-02-2009, 11:41 PM
in the octagon rules by that video chuck would of won by an early stoppage

skyler
04-03-2009, 01:27 AM
There's a difference between a fighter and martial arts actor, yeah they can do all these cool looking moves on screen where it is all staged, but when it comes to a real fight it's alot different... that's what all this bruce lee fan boys dont understand and call him the greatest fighter to ever excist without ever seeing him actually fight for real it's hillarious..

j
04-03-2009, 02:57 AM
i think an early chuck must have been a good fighter. he did fight in contact tournaments.

so did doplh lundgren - who was also a full contact kyokushen champion of at least 2 times.

bruce may have been a good fighter, but his real passion seemd to be more into acting. i can think of many guys around bruce's time that could more likely than not put bruce into a comma in less than 3 minutes. im talking about guys who were known to fight a lot, a lot! and known to beat other teachers or top students.

still, i say bruce and chuck, and even dolph, were decent fighters. i have my doubts, major doubts, about van damme and steven segal.

btw, some of the guys in enter the dragon(the island tourny movie) were really good real fighters and even taught bruce a few things on set i believe.

F l i c k e r
04-03-2009, 03:42 AM
Bruce is an actor but he was a damn good martial artist as well. The guy didn't learn wing chun for acting or choy ley fut(dont know if I spelled it right). His teacher is a well reknowned wing chun martial artist; Yip Man. You dont learn from a man like that and not know how to fight.

Then the man takes into account that street fighting isn't a martial art contest. Refined his approach. Made martial arts more practical to the streets. Now people open their mind to new things rather than saying "My Judo is better than your Shotokan." Hence people mix styles more often now because a man in the spotlight brung it to their attention. No one listens to the old monk with the white beard and a cane but when a Movie Star talks about it everyone listens.

Saying Bruce Lee isn't a good fighter. Not a sportsman (boxing, MMA) and no martial art competitor(competitions where you win by screaming the loudest). I mean a good fighter(martial artist), is like saying Jet Li doesn't know Martial arts.

Even Jack Dempsey said it himself "You're in there for three-minute rounds with gloves on and a referee. That's not real fighting." my fellow boxing fans can at least respect and acknowledge that.

So dont tell me Bruce had to prove himself in a ring.

res
04-03-2009, 01:19 PM
v
Even Jack Dempsey said it himself "You're in there for three-minute rounds with gloves on and a referee. That's not real fighting." my fellow boxing fans can at least respect and acknowledge that.

So dont tell me Bruce had to prove himself in a ring.

Yep, Dempsey knew from his life as a hobo.

People always want proof of ability but street fights aren't staged in front of thousands of fans.

Does that mean that people should never talk about who the best street fighter is?

Well they can do it if they want to, but it will always be a much different thing than talking about pro fighters. The tough guy at the pub/bar that wastes other tough guys may not have any footage of it, but if you mess with him it won't stop him from beating you down.

What we know is that Lee was a guy who trained with the world's top Master of a particular style of Kung Fu, fought in the streets alot ( got in trouble for it, he was sent to the U.S. to stay out of trouble) that he began to adjust the techniques he had learned to fit the streets, and that top competitive martial artists trained with him and heaped tremendous praise on his physical abilities and skills. So pro or con Lee that's basically what you're dealing with...

Oh and some wins as an amatuer Boxer.

Edit: Oh and some footage that displays some pretty freakishly extraordinary speed.

Palma
04-03-2009, 06:35 PM
Chuck was a point fighting champion, a pioneer in sport karate. He never did get into full contact kickboxing like his peers, Joe Lewis and Bill "Superfoot" Wallace. He got into acting instead. I am sure he would have been successful as a kickboxer.

Bruce Lee would have also done well as a kickboxer. His speed, timing and power would have been tough to beat. I am positive he would have dominated the lower weight divisions had he competed.

Gojira
04-04-2009, 06:02 AM
He caught him with his roundhouse kick. not even bruce lee can escape it.

Palma
04-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Facing the giant Bruce Lee
Posted: January 01, 2007
1:00 am Eastern

By Chuck Norris

Through the years one of the questions I've been asked most has been, ''What was it like to fight Bruce Lee?''

Of course we never actually fought off-screen, because Bruce didn't compete with me in professional tournaments.

(Column continues below)

[AD]

We did, however, periodically spar. Believe it or not, it was fun! I can say that because Bruce and I were friends, and we deeply respected each other as masters of martial arts.

My debt to Bruce Lee

In a way, Bruce gave me my first movie break in 1968, when he was the stunt coordinator for the ''Wrecking Crew,'' starring Dean Martin. My part was a fight scene with Dean, preceded by one whole line of dialogue!

In 1972, Bruce was directing ''Return of the Dragon'' and wanted me to be in it. ''I want you to be my opponent. We'll have a fight in the Coliseum in Rome,'' Bruce said with excitement. ''Two gladiators in a fight to the death! Best of all, we can choreograph it ourselves. I promise you the fight will be the highlight of the film.''

''Great,'' I said, ''Who wins?''

''I do,'' Bruce said with a laugh. ''I'm the star!''

''Oh you're going to beat up on the current world karate champion?''

''No,'' said Bruce. ''I'm going to kill the current world karate champion.''

I laughed and agreed to do the movie, after gaining twenty pounds at his request (he wanted me to look more formidable as his opponent)

You can view this now famous fight scene, which took three days to film, on the Internet.

Hotels, mannequins and denim jeans

That jabbing dialogue pretty much summarized our wit with each other. My mind races through other examples too.

One time we were in New York, staying at the same hotel. As we went up in the elevator, we started sparring and kept doing so in the hallway of our rooms until 4 a.m.! I still wonder why we weren't turned in to hotel security. (Maybe we were, but they refused to detain us!)

Another time, when we both lived in Southern Calif., I was over Lee's house. In his garage he had several mannequins set up for practicing martial arts techniques. He was particularly proud of the one with a head that bobbled.

''Do a round-house to its head,'' he said with a smile.

Wearing then some pretty tight '70s denim jeans (remember?), I told him, ''Not with these pants.''

After a little more prodding by Bruce, I quickly pivoted by body around and jostled its head like a teeter-totter in fast motion.

Of course we both laughed hysterically when my jeans tore in two at the crotch and literally dropped down to my ankles!

Giants come in small packages too

Lee, pound for pound, might well have been one of the strongest men in the world, and certainly one of the quickest. Whether doing one-handed, two-finger push-ups, or horizontally holding up a 125-pound barbell, Lee was impressively strong for his size, especially at only 140-145 pounds.

The fact is Bruce was a giant in so many ways.

I was so deeply saddened when he died in 1973, at only 32 years of age.

He was an inspiration to so many of us. And while he has been gone for 33 years now, his legend continues to live on.

Resolve to face your giant

Back on the filming of ''Return of the Dragon,'' it was an eerie feeling standing with Bruce in one of the tunnels leading out into the Roman Coliseum. And I was humbly awed by the thought of real fights to the death that once took place regularly in the arena almost two millennia ago.

You may never engage in hand-to-hand combat with someone like Bruce Lee, or, even more, face real gladiators like others did back then, but the fact is you have your own giants with which or whom to contend. They come in all shapes and sizes: loneliness, addictions, hopelessness, dietary desires, relational incompatibilities, finances, physical inabilities, or maybe even a New Year's resolution to finally obtain some lifelong goal.

Whatever the case, don't let the Goliaths in your life intimidate you, even if they do! Don't fear them, or admit defeat, even if they've dominated you before. I've failed many times in my life, but God has even used those to bring other successes.

You can't win without risk and perseverance, plain and simple. Or as Bruce wisely and comically put it, ''A fight is not won by one punch or kick. Either learn to endure or hire a bodyguard.''

That was then, this is now

It's strange to think Bruce and I were born in the same year (1940), and we would have shared our 66th birthday this past year.

If still alive, I'm sure we would have reminisced about old times and discussed recent ventures of martial arts advocacy and humanitarian assistance. But, most of all, I think we would have talked about how we were still striving to bring down the giants in our lives.

At 66, I'm still tackling those Goliaths, some personal and some professional, and attempting to make my life and this world a better place.

I don't know everything that 2007 holds in store, but I do know this: I will forget the mistakes of the past and press on to greater achievements.

Lee similarly said, ''I am happy because I am growing daily and I do honestly not know where the limit lies. To be certain, every day there can be a revelation or a new discovery. I treasure the memory of the past misfortunes. It has added more to my bank of fortitude.''

Or as the Bible says, ''I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead.''

A good word for a new year, from ''a few good men'' and the Good Book!

Happy New Year!

j
04-05-2009, 12:30 AM
jet li was trained in modern wushu, not traditional martial arts that have you sparring and fighting in tournaments.

jet was a show performer and admittedly never fought - ever.

up to 1960, traditional guys went underground or fled to taiwan - and even before this really.

the government started to regulate martial arts and restricted a lot of it. it went through a lot of changes, i will put it like that.

so, when jet himself says he is not a fighter, i take it to believe him.

doesnt mean he cant defend himself, but i know others who i would rather have on my side. like the guys who are on my side.