View Full Version : Ricco throws a chair/police charges filed

Curly Howard
04-19-2004, 08:52 AM
From http://www.mmaweekly.com/this_week/news/1_sunday.html

A bizarre night last night at the IFC event in Redding, California. The IFC had an event that not many people knew about, which featured three tournaments. The tournaments were in the Middleweight, Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight Divisions.

Scary Jerry Vrbanovic won the Heavyweight Tournament as he defeated Big Country Nelson to win the Heavyweight portion of tourney, but that is when fireworks happened. For some reason former UFC Heavyweight Champion, Ricco
Rodriguez was upset with the decision and threw a chair in disgust and that's when all hell broke loose. One eyewitness' sent this account to MMAWeekly....

"I was disgusted by what I saw at the IFC event. Scarry Jerry won a close decision and then Ricco Rodriguez started freaking out. He threw a chair that almost hit some woman affiliated with fighter Tim McKenzie. I talked with McKenzie after and he is filing charges against Ricco, so Rodriguez was being asked questions by Police at the Police station when I left. He could be arrested. It was just a bad night all the way around."

No word yet if Police arrested Ricco or even if they kept Rodriguez overnight. As of midnight when this story was filed, it was unclear if charges were filed by McKenzie's family against Rodriguez. The ending overshadowed wins by Drew Fickett who won his tournament at the Middleweight Division over Carlo Prader and Sean Beckett to win the tournament.

Team Quest member Chael Sonnen won his bracket to win the Light Heavyweight tournament. After his initial win, Tim McKenzie had a rib problem and could not face Sonnen in the final so Sonnen got the win.

DOGGx0
04-19-2004, 11:56 AM
Good **** for Fickett and Sonnen. I don't really know what to say about Ricco. It suprises me, but then again it does'nt. He is obviously reaching out helplessly..... its like a cry for attention. The part that surprises me is him going crazy about Scarry Jerry winning. Scarry Jerry trains with Tito and for a long time trained with Ricco, until Ricco recently relocated to Las Vegas and now trains with Simms, Randleman, and Coleman. I wonder what his "new" beef is now.

Fallout
04-19-2004, 12:24 PM
Did he put him threw a table too? It sounds like Ricco might of had a little bit too much to drink

Mr. Beelzebub
04-19-2004, 12:25 PM
Ricco's crying out for attention... I hope the media doesn't give him any.

Fallout
04-19-2004, 12:30 PM
You guys are the media. And you are giving him some. Looks like you failed to take your our advice Bub

Mr. Beelzebub
04-19-2004, 12:35 PM
pl. media
A means of mass communication, such as newpapers, magazines, radio, or television.
media (used with a sing. or pl. verb) The group of journalists and others who constitute the communications industry and profession.

This is what I meant by Media, my Cananananadian friend.

Mr. Beelzebub
04-19-2004, 12:37 PM
I don't think that by saying Ricco's crying fo attention in Global is gonna contribute to getting him a fight or some attentinon from the general MMA community.

I am not the media, I am part of the general public.

Fallout
04-19-2004, 12:44 PM
globalmma.net is part of the mma media. You do work for them, thus, you are mma media

Nuno
04-19-2004, 01:34 PM
Work?

Bluecifer
04-19-2004, 05:43 PM
Definately a publicity stunt considering the fact that we haven't heard **** from him since Sylvia KhimTFO.

lightweight
04-19-2004, 07:19 PM
Except for his other losses to Nog and Rizzo.

Bluecifer
04-19-2004, 07:29 PM
Yeah, and those too.

GNP
04-20-2004, 09:50 AM
Ya it was a bunch of BS, a way to get in the papers.
I agree with you Creed, Community sites are media as well,
while some are given a little more credit then others all is a source of news, info and BS in the mma world