View Full Version : name a MMA match that would sell

BALLISTIC
03-30-2009, 10:07 PM
more then pacman/hatton 2day

i love watching MMA but i have a friend and i'm trying to tell him
MMA would never sell more PPV then boxing still..

StillUnknown
03-30-2009, 10:32 PM

MMA sells the entire card, not just the main event. i don't see anything toucing PBF/DLH, but MMA is more consistent in their ppv buys than boxing

at the end of 08/beginning of 09 there were 3 mma cards that topped 1mil in ppv buys

like i said, i don't see them ever topping pbf/dlh, but they do big numbers consistently enough.

F l i c k e r
03-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Anderson Silva vs Cung Le.... It will sell period.

Takanori Gomi vs BJ Penn II.... It would sell period.

Miguel Torres vs KID Yamamoto... It would be WEC's biggest pay day ever for all time.

Fedor Emelinenko vs Brock Lesnar.... As much as I hate Lesnar, yes it would sell because all the little mainstream MMA fans that dont know **** about MMA.

thats all I can think of. there are other match ups but they wont bring in HUGE numbers. Dana would probably hype them up anyways but still if your a real fan you know the match ups like GSP-Shields isn't really ****.

mrpain81
03-31-2009, 12:27 AM
MMA sells the entire card, not just the main event. i don't see anything toucing PBF/DLH, but MMA is more consistent in their ppv buys than boxing

at the end of 08/beginning of 09 there were 3 mma cards that topped 1mil in ppv buys

like i said, i don't see them ever topping pbf/dlh, but they do big numbers consistently enough.

That's bull****

StillUnknown
03-31-2009, 01:34 AM
That's bull****

UFC 91 has done at least 920,000. That is not the final number, and it will probably end up at around a million buys.

-UFC 92 is confirmed to have done 1 million buys, that will also likely go up, and it would need just 50,001 more buys to break the record of UFC 66.

UFC 94 (happened after that article was done) did approximately 900k ppv buys

Headlined by: Georges St. Pierre vs. BJ Penn

UFC 91 was in November of 08
UFC 92 was in December of 08
UFC 94 was in late January of 09

JabSandwich
03-31-2009, 02:31 AM
GSP vs. Silva would do well over a mil

katsidismichael
03-31-2009, 02:41 AM
GSP vs. Silva would do well over a mil

BROCK LESNAR vs FEDOR EMELIANENKO
GSP vs SILVA

jakkups
03-31-2009, 05:13 AM
If anyone seriously thinks that any of the fights mentioned would sell better than Hatton/Pacquiao they're sorely mistaken. No single fight in MMA sells like boxing matches do. MMA is still not a profitable business, the UFC is. All the fights mentioned are just fights people consider to be big fights in MMA which they are on paper but in reality those fights alone wouldn't sell big unless the UFC was promoting them. MMA has no stars yet that can compare to a DLH or a Hatton or a Pacquiao in terms of pulling in huge buys on their own. StillUnknown put it best, MMA sells the entire card, not just the main event.

thurrmac
03-31-2009, 05:33 AM

anderson silva vs floyd mayweather LOL:boxing:

jakkups
03-31-2009, 06:04 AM
UFC 666 - God vs Satan
Fighting for the souls of all human kind.

Undercard features Judas vs Jesus a grudge match for the ages, as well as the Virgin Mary vs Mary Magdalene where somebody's ho has got to go.

Move BRICKS™
03-31-2009, 11:10 AM
UFC 666 - God vs Satan
Fighting for the souls of all human kind.

Undercard features Judas vs Jesus a grudge match for the ages, as well as the Virgin Mary vs Mary Magdalene where somebody's ho has got to go.

DREAM FC 20
It Could Only Happen in Japan

Fedor vs Mir
Couture vs Nogueira
Lesnar vs Lashley
Rampage vs Evans
W. Silva vs anyone
A. Silva vs GSP
Faber vs Yamamoto

mrpain81
03-31-2009, 01:45 PM
UFC 94 (happened after that article was done) did approximately 900k ppv buys

Headlined by: Georges St. Pierre vs. BJ Penn

UFC 91 was in November of 08
UFC 92 was in December of 08
UFC 94 was in late January of 09

The only one that did a million was 92, so 3 cards topping 1 million was bull****.

94 did 800k according to Dave Meltzer

There are other reports from those with actual knowledge of PPV numbers themselves who have said at this point the confirmed number of buys was closer to 800,000, which, if true, would be a disappointment by today’s standards.

jakkups
03-31-2009, 02:20 PM
Well 3 PPVs that close together getting well over 500K in buys is a big achievement. Especially when you consider the state of the economy in general.