View Full Version : Kenny Florian: Let's make this UFC 101 fight with B.J. Penn happen

jakkups
03-28-2009, 05:51 AM
Kenny Florian: Let's make this UFC 101 fight with B.J. Penn happen (http://mmajunkie.com/news/14372/kenny-florian-lets-make-this-ufc-101-fight-with-b-j-penn-happen.mma)

While mentions of B.J. Penn (13-5-1 MMA, 9-4-1 UFC) seem to come predominantly with repetitive discussions of "Greasegate," the lightweight champ will soon be looking to defend his belt for the first time since defeating Sean Sherk in May 2008.

As rumors continue to circulate regarding a UFC 101 main event between Penn and top contender Kenny Florian (11-3 MMA, 9-2 UFC), the challenger said on the latest episode of ESPN.com's "MMA Live," he's still waiting to secure the deal.

"At the end of the day, I just want this fight to be signed," Florian said. "Let's get an event, let's get a date, and let's make it happen."

Florian was asked by "MMA Live" host Jon Anik if UFC co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta's comments on popular mixed martial arts message board The Underground of a potential UFC 101 bout with Penn were true.

Florian responded by jokingly questioning Anik's sources.

"Do you believe everything you read on the forums?" Florian asked. "Are you going and getting your news on forums now?"

Florian, currently riding a six-fight win streak in the UFC, then clarified that nothing was finalized, but that he was hopeful for the bout.

"Hopefully it is true," Florian said. "Aug. 8, it's supposed to be in Philadelphia at the Wachovia Center, which would be phenomenal for me. I'm from the East Coast."

Later in the episode Florian answered a viewer mail question which asked if the events of "Greasegate" made a third bout between Penn and UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre (18-2 MMA, 12-2 UFC) a marketable option for the organization.

Florian had a simple answer.

"I think the fans want to see Penn against Florian," Florian said.

Hear, hear. Make it happen. Kenny's second shot at the belt is long overdue.

vinnie7731
03-28-2009, 09:15 PM
yeah, i agree. and it will only be a few hours driving distance to get to philly.

florian has gotten much better over the last few years, however i think bj handles him quickly.