View Full Version : The Carson Daily Show


DOGGx0
04-10-2004, 05:30 AM
I am watching The Carson Daily Show right now (Fri. night/ Sat. morning 2:00am). His guest is Lenox Lewis and David Allen Greer. Carson asked Lenox Lewis what he thought about the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Lennox response was....

"to me, its not worth it... I mean I get paid millions to do what I do and all I have to do is only use my hands. Those guys are crazy, they don't get paid enough. They get to do almost anything. Those guys will grab you with one finger and take you down to the ground and make you tapout. Some of those guys are really good, some are just nonsense."

David Allen Greer continued...

"you know I used to fight for the UFC, but they did'nt pay me enough so I left" <obviously he is using sarcasm here.

DOGGx0
04-10-2004, 05:31 AM
Aside from this Lennox was very humble and happy throughout his interview. He said that his highest point and biggest fight he feels was against Mike Tyson. He went on to say that he had never anticipated a fight with anyone as much as he did against Mike. He said they had a history and that when he was younger, when Mike was 12 or something that he went to Gus Diamato's gym (Tyson's trainer) and they met and sparred a little. Lenox's trainer told him that they would fight against eachother in heavyweight some day and Lewis said that it was hard because he knew how good Mike was and how had hard he had to train for him when the time came.

kcfman
04-10-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by DOGGx0
I am watching The Carson Daily Show right now (Fri. night/ Sat. morning 2:00am). His guest is Lenox Lewis and David Allen Greer. Carson asked Lenox Lewis what he thought about the Ultimate Fighting Championship. Lennox response was....

"to me, its not worth it... I mean I get paid millions to do what I do and all I have to do is only use my hands. Those guys are crazy, they don't get paid enough. They get to do almost anything. Those guys will grab you with one finger and take you down to the ground and make you tapout. Some of those guys are really good, some are just nonsense."

David Allen Greer continued...

"you know I used to fight for the UFC, but they did'nt pay me enough so I left" <obviously he is using sarcasm here.

David Allen Greer was obviously joking but look how many fighters left the ufc to fight in other shows. (I guess the other shows pay them more). The UFC should pay more to the fighters.

Fallout
04-10-2004, 10:31 PM
KCF, they can't afford it. Damn it, people like you are the reason I go ape **** on MMA forums half the time. Yes, it would be great if the UFC could pay the fighters more money, but they need to make money to keep operating. Its not just "Pay the fighters more money". Well fiddle dee dee, LOOK money is falling from the sky!

****

kcfman
04-11-2004, 03:28 AM
Originally posted by Creed
KCF, they can't afford it. Damn it, people like you are the reason I go ape **** on MMA forums half the time. Yes, it would be great if the UFC could pay the fighters more money, but they need to make money to keep operating. Its not just "Pay the fighters more money". Well fiddle dee dee, LOOK money is falling from the sky!

****

How do you know they cant afford it? Did you see their profit margins? I sure hell didnt! If I saw their books and it shows that they cant afford it, then yes, they cant afford it. Promotions are there to make a profit, if the ufc didnt, they wouldnt be there.

Before you go ape **** dickhead, show me proof of the UFC cant afford it! OR SHUT THE **** UP !


:fu:

Fallout
04-11-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by kcfman
How do you know they cant afford it? Did you see their profit margins? I sure hell didnt! If I saw their books and it shows that they cant afford it, then yes, they cant afford it. Promotions are there to make a profit, if the ufc didnt, they wouldnt be there.

Before you go ape **** dickhead, show me proof of the UFC cant afford it! OR SHUT THE **** UP !


:fu:

They are losing money on every show. That is a well known and well accepted fact. They did release the books for one of the events and they are playing the majority of the money they take in to the fighters. They is still production, PPV time, insurance, and a thousand other expenses. So yes KCF, I have seen a UFC budget. They are losing money, and they can't keep going on like that forever. They can't afford to pay people more. Hell, they can't afford to pay people what they are doing now.

The UFC needs people to go out and help build up the grass roots love of the sport. Get your friends into it, buy DVDs, try and help the sport grow in your own way.

kcfman
04-11-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Creed
They are losing money on every show. That is a well known and well accepted fact. They did release the books for one of the events and they are playing the majority of the money they take in to the fighters. They is still production, PPV time, insurance, and a thousand other expenses. So yes KCF, I have seen a UFC budget. They are losing money, and they can't keep going on like that forever. They can't afford to pay people more. Hell, they can't afford to pay people what they are doing now.

The UFC needs people to go out and help build up the grass roots love of the sport. Get your friends into it, buy DVDs, try and help the sport grow in your own way.

Thank you Creed!

One thought whould be the UFC should go "public". It would instantly inject a huge amount of cash flow and if done right, bring in more profits.

Curly Howard
04-11-2004, 01:43 PM
I've been up with the Easter bunny all morning so I'm too tired to go in to exact figures but the PPVs don't make money. You've got people who steal cable/satellite or the guys who have a bunch of people come over and watch so you get one PPV buy for 5-10 fans. Event ticket sales cover the bills and not much more. You've got to pay talent (everyone from the fighters to the ring girls, announcers), security, insurance, the company that produces the PPV, and on and on.
The only advertising we have is on the internet, word of mouth and the PPVs and let's face it. Not too many people are going to pay $29.95 to watch a sport they know nothing about.
There's no major sponsors to help cover the costs.
No network TV deals.
Some merchandise but not much as far as the UFC.
As far as other sports in north America, MMA is somewhere around pro bowling and body building as far as popularity except that espn will cover those sports and doesn't want to touch ours.

Until we can start selling out 18,000 seat arenas and kids trade in their hockey and baseball jersey's for a Randy Couture sweatshirt, we're not going to be able to pay fighter the same as the salary they make in Japan.

DOGGx0
04-11-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Creed
They are losing money on every show. That is a well known and well accepted fact. They did release the books for one of the events and they are playing the majority of the money they take in to the fighters. They is still production, PPV time, insurance, and a thousand other expenses. So yes KCF, I have seen a UFC budget. They are losing money, and they can't keep going on like that forever. They can't afford to pay people more. Hell, they can't afford to pay people what they are doing now.

The UFC needs people to go out and help build up the grass roots love of the sport. Get your friends into it, buy DVDs, try and help the sport grow in your own way.

damn. you're like a ****in woman. some people don't know wheather the UFC has money or not so grab your panties and pull them out from between your asscrack. and for you to say that its a known fact that the UFC is losing money on every show.... shows your ****in ignorance. if they lost money on every show, plain and simple..... ITS A KNOWN FACT that if you're doing business for 10 years or more and not making a profit.. you should'nt and can't stay in business unless you plan on supporting this thing (profit or not) with your personal bank account, and i personally don't think lorenzo nor dana is digging into their own pockets. UFC is the biggest they've ever been. Almost every crowd now is a sell out crowd, and more PPVs are being purchased. You act like you know it all, you get all huffy and puffy about it.... please, just shut the **** up. You're annoying. You're no longer supporting you own opinions, you're supporting bull**** theories. you said you've seen the books, which is bull****, nobody has seen the books. sure, we've all seen the amount that the fighters make, but if you think thats the books, then you're dead wrong. the books don't show, the salaries are. You mentioned "production, PPV time, insurance, and a thousand other expenses", and the you go on to say " So yes KCF, I have seen a UFC budget.". Where, you ****in liar? Where have you seen their "thousand" of expenses? "Where have you seen how much they put out? Where have you seen how much they pay for production? PPV time? Insurance? Where is it all? Did Dana hire you as the CEO of the company? Thats about the only way you'd be able to see the UFC budget you dumbass. ****, you've never even been to a UFC event, and already you know the ins and outs. Thats ****in fabulous.


This is the reason why they can't pay the fighters more....

People like Tito Ortiz have nothing to ***** about. Same with Liddell and Cotoure, and some of these guys. (Sure, it would benice if all of these fighters could make more... like what Boxers make). They make decent money and the most money in the orginization. Tito brought home $125k just to show and could have walked with another $50k if he won. Then you got Nick Diaz bringing home $4k to show and $4k to win. You got guys like Jens capping out at the UFC... fighting $12k for $12k, which was the highest point in his UFC career while he was a champion. They dish out most fo their money amongst the heavyier weights. They are ready to put out $175k just for Tito Ortiz to fight, when they could easily take just $25k off that (which wouldnt be much of a dent) and disperse it amongst the other fighters. Soemthing like that. People love champions and UFC has a hard time keeping them. You pay one champion $200k to fight and another champion $12k to fight. Of course champions are gonna leave. Jens capped out at $12k for $12k, then walked to Japan and fought for $50k. Thats almost double and he was'nt even a champion. The salary comparison over there is more even amongst the fighters. Thats how it should be here. Granite you have to earn it, but some of the ways its dispersed makes no sense. Some would be alot more happier making more money, just coz some of the fighters are smaller doesnt mean that they should get paid less. If they were making more money, they would stay, if they stay.... the fans stay. Champions build fanbases. Not just Tito Ortiz. Not just Randy Cotoure. Not just Royce Gracie. Its not about a name or a face, its about the person whos out there giving it 100%.... atleast to the fans, and the fans are the most dedicated, those are the ones that stick around through thick and thin.... not you're average guy who read about Royce Gracie or Tito Ortiz in a magazine.

Curly Howard
04-11-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by DOGGx0
damn. you're like a ****in woman. some people don't know wheather the UFC has money or not so grab your panties and pull them out from between your asscrack. and for you to say that its a known fact that the UFC is losing money on every show.... shows your ****in ignorance. if they lost money on every show, plain and simple..... ITS A KNOWN FACT that if you're doing business for 10 years or more and not making a profit.. you should'nt and can't stay in business unless you plan on supporting this thing (profit or not) with your personal bank account, and i personally don't think lorenzo nor dana is digging into their own pockets. UFC is the biggest they've ever been. Almost every crowd now is a sell out crowd, and more PPVs are being purchased. You act like you know it all, you get all huffy and puffy about it.... please, just shut the **** up. You're annoying. You're no longer supporting you own opinions, you're supporting bull**** theories. you said you've seen the books, which is bull****, nobody has seen the books. sure, we've all seen the amount that the fighters make, but if you think thats the books, then you're dead wrong. the books don't show, the salaries are. You mentioned "production, PPV time, insurance, and a thousand other expenses", and the you go on to say " So yes KCF, I have seen a UFC budget.". Where, you ****in liar? Where have you seen their "thousand" of expenses? "Where have you seen how much they put out? Where have you seen how much they pay for production? PPV time? Insurance? Where is it all? Did Dana hire you as the CEO of the company? Thats about the only way you'd be able to see the UFC budget you dumbass. ****, you've never even been to a UFC event, and already you know the ins and outs. Thats ****in fabulous.




Take some time to study and you'll learn you're wrong.

DOGGx0
04-11-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Curly Howard
I've been up with the Easter bunny all morning so I'm too tired to go in to exact figures but the PPVs don't make money. You've got people who steal cable/satellite or the guys who have a bunch of people come over and watch so you get one PPV buy for 5-10 fans. Event ticket sales cover the bills and not much more. You've got to pay talent (everyone from the fighters to the ring girls, announcers), security, insurance, the company that produces the PPV, and on and on.
The only advertising we have is on the internet, word of mouth and the PPVs and let's face it. Not too many people are going to pay $29.95 to watch a sport they know nothing about.
There's no major sponsors to help cover the costs.
No network TV deals.
Some merchandise but not much as far as the UFC.
As far as other sports in north America, MMA is somewhere around pro bowling and body building as far as popularity except that espn will cover those sports and doesn't want to touch ours.

Until we can start selling out 18,000 seat arenas and kids trade in their hockey and baseball jersey's for a Randy Couture sweatshirt, we're not going to be able to pay fighter the same as the salary they make in Japan.

Very true. However, the money that IS being paid out here can be paid out differently to:

1) keep fighters happy
2) keep champions around long enough to defend their titles
3) fairness

its not fair that some can bring home paychecks of $200k (Tito), fight once a year and others fight repeatedly(Jens) and can't even make $200k in a year.

DOGGx0
04-11-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Curly Howard
Take some time to study and you'll learn you're wrong.

What am i wrong about? That everyone thinks they've seen the UFC books? Everyone knows the "thousands" of expenses they endure right? I bet Creed knows how much this site costs and what is owed right now.

Curly Howard
04-11-2004, 02:00 PM
It should be even playing fiels as far as the champ makes the most and then down the line. I agree with that 100%
Zuffa has a grip on these fighters at smaller weight classes cause they don't have anywhere else to go. Fighters will go work the UFC for ****ty pay because once you have that "UFC veteren" added to your title your pay goes up in the smaller shows.

DOGGx0
04-11-2004, 02:03 PM
well that was my main piont. glad we agree. i am going out to go to a easter egg hunt. yes, i am going to go look for eggs in someone's yard. yay for me.

Curly Howard
04-11-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by DOGGx0
[B]What am i wrong about? That everyone thinks they've seen the UFC books? Everyone knows the "thousands" of expenses they endure right? [B]


Its public information. There's been a couple of articles done on it. The books aren't open but if you do the math you can figure it out.

I've interviewed Chris Cordiero from KOTC and read a Dana white interview where they both say the same thing.

" Pay Per View is not what people think. It's a great way to help get the fighters more exposure but basically is a cost that just covers itself. It has potential to bring in great revenue. Neither KOTC nor UFC is getting rich by any means off Pay Per View buys. Most people even the hard core fans steal the Pay Per Views with illegal decoder cards or cable black boxes. "

Madalay bay holds 9000 seats for a UFC event. if each seat sells at $100. it would only be $90,000

Where's the money coming from?

Curly Howard
04-11-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by DOGGx0
well that was my main piont. glad we agree. i am going out to go to a easter egg hunt. yes, i am going to go look for eggs in someone's yard. yay for me.

Have fun. I have to work today. Don't eat the brown easter egg

handjobs4dollars
04-11-2004, 05:41 PM
Yep and just look at ppv buys 30 X 90 000 isn't alot of money= 2700000. Does it cost that much to put on a show on ppv. I don't see casinos making them pay alot of money because of the extra money they bring into the casino with hotel stays and gaming and food sales. The ufc has a fighter payrole of about 500000 then they have to pay for event staff that the casino doesn't supply. Then add the live gate. I can see them making money but just very little. Plus production crew.