View Full Version : Affliction 3 Planned For July 11, Countering UFC 100

jakkups
03-20-2009, 10:52 PM
AFFLICTION 3 ON JULY 11, FEDOR LIKELY (http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=8420&zoneid=2)

July 11 is shaping up to be a busy night for mixed martial arts enthusiasts.

Affliction will counter-program UFC 100 on the summer date with its third event at a location yet to be determined, according to sources close to the situation.

The card is just under a week from the first anniversary of “Banned,” the clothing company’s initial foray into MMA promotion.

Plans are to air the event to fans on non-premium cable television, although sources could not confirm the broadcast platform. Affliction Entertainment has partnered with Fox Sports Net and HD Net for the undercards of its first two events, so either would be a likely candidate for Affliction 3.

Additionally, WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko and Josh Barnett are expected to fight on the card, but likely not against each other. According to one source, the cost of the heavily anticipated fight would be too expensive for a non-pay-per-view broadcast. Other sources indicate that Affliction is trying to put together another heavyweight bout, pitting former UFC champion Tim Sylvia against Paul Buentello, though it has not yet been agreed to.

The event is a bold move for the MMA startup, which has seen both of its events shadowed by UFC programming. UFC 100 has long been touted as a special event in the Las Vegas-based promotion’s history, and is scheduled to feature two title bouts – a heavyweight unification bout between Frank Mir and Brock Lesnar and the third title defense of Georges St. Pierre – as well as “The Ultimate Fighter” season nine battle between coaches Dan Henderson and Michael Bisping.

As for speculation that Affliction's third offering will be it's grand exit from MMA, all sources close to the promotion are in agreement with Affliction Entertainment COO Michael D. Cohen. The executive told Versus.com blogger Ariel Helwani, “It’s absolutely untrue... Trump’s Affliction Entertainment is going nowhere except to the top, and the company will continue throughout 2009 and well into 2010.

Dumb move if you ask me. I mean why bother even trying to compete with that event. Competing against a S.P.I.K.E. TV free show or a repeat of a PPV is one thing but actually trying to compete with their 100th show is pretty dumb, which is pretty much Affliction all over. I mean any MMA company that listens to Jerry Millen on how to do business in MMA is doomed to fail.

mmaphilippines
03-20-2009, 11:13 PM
looks exciting

2FastByFar
03-20-2009, 11:20 PM
It seems everyone wants to put on a card on July 11 (http://www.badlefthook.com/2009/3/19/803833/mayweather-almost-certainl#comments). :boxing:

Mayweather's team has talked to HBO about the availability of July 11, the network's date for that month's edition of "World Championship Boxing."

HBO also has another dilemma. It has not committed to giving Main Events and Golden Boy Promotions the July 11 date for a fight that is being negotiated between cruiserweight champion Tomasz Adamek and former two-division champion Bernard Hopkins, and one of the reasons is because HBO has also been talking to Mayweather about the date, said one of the sources, who has knowledge of HBO's issue.

StillUnknown
03-20-2009, 11:30 PM
this could be the final nail in Afflictions coffin

Move BRICKS™
03-21-2009, 08:17 AM
It'll get delayed.

jakkups
03-21-2009, 10:30 AM
For their sake I hope it does. They're operating at a loss as it is and trying to compete on the same nights as the UFC PPVs isn't going to give them any chance at getting a decent return.

vinnie7731
03-21-2009, 07:45 PM
if this is true and they do try and compete with ufc 100, then they are stupid and i have no sympathy for affliction.