View Full Version : [HOLY S**T!] Tuition fees to be uncapped!

fight_professor
03-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Plans are afoot to allow universities to charge what they want, as opposed to the current caps of about 3.5k.

This doesnt impact me personally as I've finished, but for the next set of students and those later, its a tragedy. It means only the rich can afford an education.

Guys dont stand for this BS! Take to the streets in protests. They are short changing 95% of the British people with their freaking plans!

:boxing:

Iamnotausername
03-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Thank God i finished uni last year is all I'm saying, paying 1250 an academic year.

I think its pretty disgusting, my brother wont be able to afford to go to university if this is passed.

mathed
03-17-2009, 10:09 AM
worldwide, the thing that gets shafted most by the government is the most important: EDUCATION

Sick really, teachers don't get paid enough and the public schools and universities are mostly under budgeted every year, while the government gives away billions to companies run by corrupt people- what a joke!!

TRAVI$
03-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Oh ****.
________

The RealDeal
03-17-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm all right as I study at the University of Life and its free.

The_Visitation
03-17-2009, 03:40 PM
This doesnt impact me personally as I've finished, but for the next set of students and those later, its a tragedy.

You never know. I'm doing a late Masters (at 43) and was hoping to go on and do a PhD, but this would screw that up royally. Just no way I could afford it.

Infern0
03-17-2009, 03:42 PM
It doesn't matter, 70% of people I went to uni with were just there to hide from work, doing some bs course. They will find a way to get the money trust me.

fight_professor
03-17-2009, 04:24 PM
You never know. I'm doing a late Masters (at 43) and was hoping to go on and do a PhD, but this would screw that up royally. Just no way I could afford it.

I just got my MA recently. If I ever do a PhD (very likely will within 5-10 years) it'll be in the USA. The top schools there offer huge incentive and meet financial requirements for up to 5 years at PhD level.

Super Zab Judah
03-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Does this affect those who start in September?

fight_professor
03-17-2009, 09:51 PM
More likely 2011 starters.

Deep Immersion
03-18-2009, 03:20 PM
Does this include postgrad studies, and research? I was considering a PhD, and would be self funded. If this increase is also for a PhD, I have no hope in hell of doing one. The prices of PhD and masters programmes are different anyway, so I wonder if this change in price is only applicable for undergraduate courses? No doubt if isn't, there will be an increase in them soon anyway. I had to pay 5 grand for my Msc last year, I dread to think how much it could be in a few years.

fight_professor
03-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Does this include postgrad studies, and research? I was considering a PhD, and would be self funded. If this increase is also for a PhD, I have no hope in hell of doing one. The prices of PhD and masters programmes are different anyway, so I wonder if this change in price is only applicable for undergraduate courses? No doubt if isn't, there will be an increase in them soon anyway. I had to pay 5 grand for my Msc last year, I dread to think how much it could be in a few years.

Same position as me. For PhD's, look stateside.

Addition
03-18-2009, 03:41 PM
What a ****ing horrible idea.