View Full Version : Was this the best week ever for English club football?

kayjay
03-12-2009, 04:00 PM
When has England ever been this dominant?

Patty Tanager
03-12-2009, 04:35 PM

Last year :D.

Technical_Skill
03-12-2009, 04:48 PM
I really dont want an ongoing dialogue about this. But right now the premiership is the strongest, i still believe Serie a is more technical as is la liga, if people think otherwise they are welcome to their opinion. Without going into it, I believe fitness and power is a key factor in why England is doing so well, obviously there have been tactical and personnel improvements, but I really believe the fitness and tempo the premiership clubs can play is something the other major teams lack at the moment. Again, technically I think they have issues which I think the spanish and italian sides need to learn how to expose better.

English sides are quite well tactically drill and have good technique, but they seem to be able to sustain that level of performance for very long periods.

Difficult to explain, but english clubs in europe deserve full credit, its about winning, they are winning, I dont know how long it can last for, but the other 2 leagues need to take a long hard look at the players they are buying and how they match up in europe.

-CANE-
03-12-2009, 05:05 PM
I really dont want an ongoing dialogue about this. But right now the premiership is the strongest, i still believe Serie a is more technical as is la liga, if people think otherwise they are welcome to their opinion. Without going into it, I believe fitness and power is a key factor in why England is doing so well, obviously there have been tactical and personnel improvements, but I really believe the fitness and tempo the premiership clubs can play is something the other major teams lack at the moment. Again, technically I think they have issues which I think the spanish and italian sides need to learn how to expose better.

English sides are quite well tactically drill and have good technique, but they seem to be able to sustain that level of performance for very long periods.

Difficult to explain, but english clubs in europe deserve full credit, its about winning, they are winning, I dont know how long it can last for, but the other 2 leagues need to take a long hard look at the players they are buying and how they match up in europe.

I thought you'd left the forum ain't seen from you in ages.

We always seem to disagree on pretty much everything. But I think anyone with half a brain knows that 98% of english players aren't as technically gifted as their european counterparts. There are a few however who are, but most teams have more foreign players than british or english and the majority of these are technically better than our players.

So I think the premiership is technical and catching up the other top european leagues but this is due to the quality of the foreign players being brought in and the number of them rather than the average english/british players getting more technical. They have improved a little but it's plain to see when you watch england versus croatia that from defenders through to forwards they are far more technical than our guys.

Mushashi
03-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Having the most money, the best players, stability and arguably world's finest managers at their disposal = Premiership success in the Champions League.

jollystomper
03-12-2009, 05:43 PM

lol! spot on mate!
but apart from that the early 80`s (before we got banned)
even villa won the european cup,forest won it twice & of course liverpool!
(soz red army! lol!)
and that was before all the money & foreigners!

MickyHatton
03-12-2009, 07:11 PM

TS,

This is a debate that we have undertaken for about 2 years now. I and many others said two years ago that the English clubs where now superior and I am sure that point has been more than proven last year and indeed this.

Its a fairly simple answer, the money resides in our league and we can therefore bring in a lot of the worlds top players, managers and coaches. Also its about periods, we had a glory period in the mid 70's to early 80's then perhaps due to the ban fell behind but that is no longer the case.

We have teams outside the top four who would IMO opinion do well in other leagues - Everton and Villa spring to mind and on the whole the teams are a mix of youth and experience which in the case of the Italian sides seems to no longer be the case. Has the match fixing scandal damaged Italian football? I'm sure it has but looking at Inter last night was like looking at a snapshot of the mid 90's as so many of the players came from that era.

Man City will probably add to this in coming years so unless Platini has his way I see it carrying on for the foreseeable future.

kayjay
03-12-2009, 07:12 PM

I think this year in the CL has been a little better than last. The teams got unfortunate draws in the last round but all four advanced. Real has won ten straight in La Liga and have looked to be in the top two or three in Europe, yet they lose 0-5 to Liverpool, who have been struggling in the EPL. Arsenal are about the seventh best team in England but still good enough for the last eight in Europe.

Right now if you rank all the teams in Europe you easily have three of the top four from the EPL, maybe five of the top eight.

Gorgeous George
03-12-2009, 09:21 PM
come on the pool! (when you walk....

Nacho_Analstain
03-12-2009, 09:35 PM

In club football? Always.

Mozza
03-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Funnily enough, I think Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal are worse teams than they were two or three years ago however the results are skewed because Milan were in the UEFA Cup, Inter Milan played the best team in Europe and Real Madrid are cycling in and out of turmoil. That said, "the big four" are stronger than their counterparts in Serie A and La Liga.

kayjay
03-12-2009, 10:19 PM
Funnily enough, I think Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal are worse teams than they were two or three years ago however the results are skewed because Milan were in the UEFA Cup, Inter Milan played the best team in Europe and Real Madrid are cycling in and out of turmoil. That said, "the big four" are stronger than their counterparts in Serie A and La Liga.

I can't agree. Liverpool have steadily improved and are at their best of the Benitez era. Chelsea are of course not where they once were, but they're still terrific and consistent. They were very close to a Eurpoena/domestic double last season, and this season won't be far away from either. Arsenal are the team who have dropped. But can you picture Ason Villa in this year's CL? They have no experience, but stylistically they're a nightmare for continental teams. Let's hope they get a chance to prove it next season.

The title "best team in Europe" should still go to Barca, despite a tough few weeks. They've been the best team this season. Right now though I'd consider putting Man U, Liverpool, and Chelsea in the next three spots ahead of Inter, Real, and Juve.

Chunk..
03-13-2009, 08:04 AM
A lot of the continental leagues are one dimensional, whereas the Premiership isn't.

I'd say Barcelona are the best team in Europe right now but i don't see them beating any of the 'Top Four' in this years CL.

Addition
03-13-2009, 08:59 AM
Barca are the only team that can beat any of the top 4.

BUT they can be beaten, if you have a strong solid defence as Man Utd and Liverpool have shown in the past against Barca, you can beat them.

squealpiggy
03-13-2009, 10:46 AM

AC Milan were knocked out of Europe by Werder Bremen though.

Technical_Skill
03-13-2009, 11:47 AM
TS,

This is a debate that we have undertaken for about 2 years now. I and many others said two years ago that the English clubs where now superior and I am sure that point has been more than proven last year and indeed this.

Its a fairly simple answer, the money resides in our league and we can therefore bring in a lot of the worlds top players, managers and coaches. Also its about periods, we had a glory period in the mid 70's to early 80's then perhaps due to the ban fell behind but that is no longer the case.

We have teams outside the top four who would IMO opinion do well in other leagues - Everton and Villa spring to mind and on the whole the teams are a mix of youth and experience which in the case of the Italian sides seems to no longer be the case. Has the match fixing scandal damaged Italian football? I'm sure it has but looking at Inter last night was like looking at a snapshot of the mid 90's as so many of the players came from that era.

Man City will probably add to this in coming years so unless Platini has his way I see it carrying on for the foreseeable future.

Money is a part of it, but not everything, there are ways to get around that mainly by buying young talent earlier. Anyways, you are welcomed to your opinion, the games between english and italian sides were close and some could have swung either way. Regardless, I believe there is an issue with age and fitness in the top 4 at serie a, they cant play effective attacking passing football for 90 mins.

Inter play garbage football, long ball to ibra crap and hope he does something, Mourinho's signings were garbage and I havent seen him do anything to change the way inter play, I also dont think he can handle the expectations italy had of him, they just dont think he is that good. So many reasons why they cant handle a passing team that keeps possession aka man u. If roma can get their hands on a proper 20 goal striker that could change everything, they havent had one since batigol, and he won them the title.

Just so much that needs changing.

But its cyclical, same with real madrid, sooner or later they will turn it around and dominate again, Flo Perez might come back as president so the warning signs are there.

Anyways, thats my opinion, no more del peiros and seedorfs, we need David Silva's, Diegos, pato's, iniesta's and such. In a way, im glad italy are out of the CL, there is already talk of rebuilding the game with proper signings, and its looks like there is a real chance David Silva could be the first of some massive signing (think juve are meeting with his agent soon)

In my opinion the technique isnt a problem, its the age and fitness of the personnel plus style of play which is causing problems.

Mozza
03-13-2009, 07:44 PM
AC Milan were knocked out of Europe by Werder Bremen though.

On away goals. What I'm trying to say is that Milan are a tougher team to beat than many of those who played in the last sixteen.

Patty Tanager
03-13-2009, 09:18 PM
On away goals. What I'm trying to say is that Milan are a tougher team to beat than many of those who played in the last sixteen.

Obviously not!!!, teehee.

P4P GOAT
03-14-2009, 09:25 AM

Difficult to ex[LEFT]plain, but english clubs in europe deserve full credit, its about winning, they are winning, I dont know how long it can last for, but the other 2 leagues need to take a long hard look at the players they are buying and how they match up in europe.

The best sides have a mixture of steal and technique/skill. That is why English clubs are so successful at the moment imo. When you combine the leadership qualities,directness and application of English players and sprinkle the team with good Technically gifted/skilled foreign players you pretty much have a great recipe for success.

If you watch the Liverpool match,Liverpool showed an appetite to win that Real Madrid could not match. Gago looked lost in Midfield, he was looking for time and space on the ball and he was not able to get it.

You can say the fitness of the Prem team is a huge factor, but you also have to factor in the amount of games they play in a season without a break. Prem players are much more inclined to suffer burnout than a Real Madrid, Milan players, because we play more games etc.

Mozza
03-14-2009, 10:06 AM
The best sides have a mixture of steal and technique/skill. That is why English clubs are so successful at the moment imo. When you combine the leadership qualities,directness and application of English players and sprinkle the team with good Technically gifted/skilled foreign players you pretty much have a great recipe for success.

If you watch the Liverpool match,Liverpool showed an appetite to win that Real Madrid could not match. Gago looked lost in Midfield, he was looking for time and space on the ball and he was not able to get it.

You can say the fitness of the Prem team is a huge factor, but you also have to factor in the amount of games they play in a season without a break. Prem players are much more inclined to suffer burnout than a Real Madrid, Milan players, because we play more games etc.

There's no great difference between the number of games Premiership teams play compared to those in La Liga.

P4P GOAT
03-14-2009, 10:07 AM
There's no great difference between the number of games Premiership teams play compared to those in La Liga.

Dont they get a break though or something over Crimbo?

Mozza
03-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Dont they get a break though or something over Crimbo?

Kind of but they still play the same amount of league games. They only have one cup competition but the games are contested over two legs. Come the end of the season any difference is usually marginal.