View Full Version : Mask from TapOut Crew killed in Car Crash

StillUnknown
03-11-2009, 05:13 PM
Charles Lewis Jr., better known to MMA fans as “Mask,” was killed in a hit-and-run accident Tuesday night in Newport Beach, Calif.

Lewis was the founder of Tapout Clothing, Inc., and the face of its popular reality show on cable channel Versus. Several sources within the company confirmed his passing.

At 12:57 a.m., a Newport Beach Police cruiser spotted Lewis’ red Ferrari and a white Porsche driving out of control on the southbound side of Jamboree Road, according to Lt. Jim Amormino, a public information officer with the Orange County Sherrif’s Department.

The Ferrari then struck the curb and hit a utility pole, tearing the car in half. After coming to a brief stop, the Porsche fled the scene.

An unnamed female passenger was ejected from Lewis’ car in the crash. Newport Beach paramedics pronounced Lewis dead at the scene.

Newport Beach officers later spotted the Porsche and stopped its passengers, a male and female, who were seen walking away from the vehicle.

Upon further investigation officers determined that the male, Jeffrey David Kirby, a 51-year-old resident of Costa Mesa, Calif., was the driver of the vehicle.

Kirby was arrested for gross vehicular manslaughter and taken to the Newport Beach Police Department. The female passenger, Lynn Marie Nabozny, a 32-year-old resident of Newport Beach, was arrested for public intoxication and released Wednesday morning.

Kirby’s bail is set at $1 million dollars. The results of a blood alcohol test administered at the jail are forthcoming. No further motive for the accident is known at this time, according to Amormino.

i hope he wasn't racing or drunk at the time

ßringer
03-11-2009, 05:33 PM
It sounds like he was either drinking, or drag racing. Either way, it doesn't sound good.

ABOSWORTH
03-11-2009, 06:39 PM
I never could stand that guy but damn, this is terrible.:( Doesn't sound good at all.

StillUnknown
03-11-2009, 06:51 PM
I never could stand that guy but damn, this is terrible.:( Doesn't sound good at all.

i never really like his antics, but he was great for the sport. it no telling how many fighters he and his crew helped out over the years

ßringer
03-11-2009, 06:54 PM

Yeah, I didn't like him either. I was so tempted to post something in this thread about all that war paint getting into his eyes, and blinding him, causing him to pull a Nick Hogan.

But I didn't do it. You know? That would've been bad.

vinnie7731
03-11-2009, 06:56 PM
what a tragedy. i cant believe it.
he was really good for the sport and will be missed.

American_Ninja
03-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Disturbing.....R I P

Savino
03-11-2009, 07:38 PM
R.I.P. to the Mask.

JabSandwich
03-11-2009, 09:52 PM
so wat exactly did the white Porsche do (other than drive off)? that article doesn't say nething about the Porsche causing the accident, it sez Mask hit the curb and drove into an utility pole.

it is sad, but theres a pretty good chance he was dui

Palma
03-12-2009, 01:16 AM
TapouT’s “Mask” Killed in Car Accident

Chris Insinna

Tapout co-founder Charles “Mask” Lewis Jr. was killed early Wednesday in Newport Beach, California in a car accident that tore the Ferrari he was driving in half.

The LA Times has details on the tragic accident:

A bizarre car crash in Newport Beach involving two luxury cars early this morning left one person dead, a second injured, a third arrested for gross vehicular manslaughter and a fourth person was detained by police long enough to sober up.

A Newport Beach Police Department officer allegedly witnessed the wreck and saw a red Ferrari and a white Porsche “spinning out of control” on Jamboree Road between Bison Avenue and East Bluff Drive at 12:57 a.m., Newport Beach Lt. Craig Fox said. The Ferrari “hit the curb and then collided with a pole.” The Porsche came to a stop at the scene for a few seconds and then sped away, Fox said.

“It was terrible. It was extensive damage to the vehicle,” Fox said, adding that the Ferrari appeared to have split in half.

An unidentified man in the Ferrari was pronounced dead. A woman in the car was ejected during the accident and taken to a hospital, where she was in stable condition, Fox said. He said police have not yet determined which one was driving and which one was the passenger.

Police located the Porsche on Bison Avenue just west of Jamboree Road shortly afterward and saw a man and a woman walking away from the car.

“The vehicle had moderate damage and appeared to be consistent with the car involved in the accident on Jamboree,” Fox said. “They determined that the male had been driving the Porsche, and he was arrested” for gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated, he said.

Police identified the driver of the Porsche as Jeffrey David Kirby, 51, of Costa Mesa, and said his bail was set at $1 million. Newport Beach resident Lynn Marie Nabozny, 32, was a passenger in the Porsche and was arrested for public intoxication. She was released about 7:45 a.m. and will not be formally charged, Fox said. He said the investigation is ongoing but that police identified skid marks at the scene “consistent with excessive speeding.”

vinnie7731
03-13-2009, 09:34 PM
looks like the driver of the porshe could be spending some time in jail cause of the charges being brought up on him. max sentence of 19yrs. rightfully so, he should rot in jail if he is in found guilty.