View Full Version : I decided something today

Stain
03-26-2004, 11:40 AM
I want to keep working on my BJJ ground game obviously. I want to get nasty with my sub wrestling and my bjj gi game.

I also want to start focusing on MMA type training. I want to start training kickboxing at least 2x a week, and training groundwork with strikes.

My long term goals are to become a mixed martial arts fighter and also to keep competing in BJJ and submission grappling. If I enjoy standup training, maybe compete in that too, but I want MMA to be my focus.

I'm going to work very hard for this.

handjobs4dollars
03-26-2004, 11:45 AM
I know what you mean. I sometimes thing that striking takes a second seat with me. I fell I'm a lot better on the ground then I am on my feet. I should step up the stand up game.

Curly Howard
03-26-2004, 11:52 AM
American kick boxing is great for mma but you might want to look in to training in boxing as well. The foot work is different and it teaches you a lot of techniques that kick boxing doesn't.

good luck

Stain
03-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Curly Howard has right crossed the correct.

HockeyFighter
03-26-2004, 01:47 PM
In MMA class Jay Day starts in mount against me and then they expect me to escape while he is punching me in the face.........lets just say it don't go so well for me. MMA class owns but I get my ass kicked all the time. Sorta wierd that I got my first black eye in BJJ last night rather than in any of the MMA classes I have been to.

Curly Howard
03-26-2004, 01:48 PM
how did this get turned around to talking about you?

Kempo Chris
03-29-2004, 04:08 PM
try to do some muy thai or san shou for stand up

Zen
03-29-2004, 09:55 PM
Good luck. Does your place of training offer mma classes or is it straight grappling? Like Curly said kickboxing/ muay thai and western boxing are the way to go for striking. For mma focus on power shots, if you're righty left hook and right straight. Once again good luck.

Stain
04-04-2004, 01:17 PM
The place I train is only grappling... I'm gonna have to mix it up by training at a boxing or muay thai school. Thanks for the advice!