View Full Version : I need your help with MMA

buddereye
03-10-2009, 12:21 AM
I used to fight in no rules contests in Indiana between 1995-1997 I had 5 fights won all of them and over 20 fight as a boxer and 3yrs of highschool wrestling. I have not train for almost 10 yrs and I am out of shape. There is Bjj school where I live and they have a no-gi or gi class and mma class. I know things have change since I did it. Which class would be better for me? I used to have great stand up but no submission skills at all. When I fought back in the 90s when I got the guy to the ground I would let him back up because I was afraid to get submitted by triangle or arm bar. I want to better my ground skills and I hope someone that is training right now can give me some advice.

Palma
03-10-2009, 03:11 AM
Die hard traditional BJJ practitioners will say to do both Gi and No Gi.

My opinion is to do No Gi cause you want to use it in an MMA platform so no need to learn the collar chokes and the advantages of the Gi unless you fight in a show using a Gi top (no shows in the US have this option that I am aware of). Or unless you want to move up in belt or participate in Gi tourney's.

You will hear the argument that learning the Gi game makes your BJJ that much tighter, but that is not a proven fact. It's all about sport-specific training so immerse yourself in the action that you will be doing.

Good Luck!

buddereye
03-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Thank you very much for your advice. I joined Triumph Bjj in Nashua Nh and I will be taking no gi class and mma class.

Sandwich
03-12-2009, 12:02 AM
If you're aim is MMA, then No-Gi Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is what applies the most directly. But, many people will tell you that grappling with the gi will do a lot to improve your skills. In fact, grapplers like Royler Gracie train with the gi for competitions like ADCC and then switch over to no-gi a month or 2 before the competition to refresh themselves with no-gi grips.

The reasoning behind training with the gi is that your opponent has a much better grip on you. They control your posture with more ease and make your strength difficult to utilize. This forces you to focus on your technique where as in no-gi you might have just been able to slip out of a sub, or pass guard with more ease.

Imo, training with the GI and then switching over to no-gi to re-adjust to the different grips might be the best idea. But really, there's nothing wrong with a no-gi class. You're not slowing down your progress all that much or anything.

Also, training in the GI opens up quite a few more submissions. Gi chokes especially. And gi chokes do apply to the real world. You can use them when someone is wearing a hoodie, a coat, even a t-**** if the fabric is not too thin.