View Full Version : Verticle fist

lilevil
03-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Do you guys use a verticle or horizontal fist when punching? There seems to be some debate.

fight game
03-01-2009, 02:36 PM
I was tought to have your fist slightly above horizontal on impact.

mightymouse2k
03-01-2009, 04:20 PM
I tend to punch flat horizontal, however with certain punches, i screw my fist from vertical to horizontal upon contact, its supposed to develop more power but i can't say i've noticed.

austinlarg
03-01-2009, 04:50 PM
I twist mine from vertical to horizontal.

Zhaakal
03-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Vertical..........

RightHooker
03-01-2009, 09:18 PM
We're talking just about hooks here, right? Nobdoy jabs with a vertical do they (beyond the times when you're being a little cheeky and you slide one right through your opponents tight guard).?

I through everything horizontal except my hooks which I throw vertical. My coach says we should through hooks to the body with a vertical fist, and hooks to the head with a horizontal fist especially in the amateurs so you don't get called for slapping (hitting with the inside of the fist instead of the white striking area).

I can't get much power with a horizontal fist, and I've never been warned for slapping so I throw them how I like. It just feels more comfortable. I guess my coach stopped caring about it for me because he never corrects me even though he still does other people.

Verstyle
03-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Vertical but my horizontal is more faster.

Verstyle
03-01-2009, 09:47 PM
We're talking just about hooks here, right? Nobdoy jabs with a vertical do they (beyond the times when you're being a little cheeky and you slide one right through your opponents tight guard).?

I through everything horizontal except my hooks which I throw vertical. My coach says we should through hooks to the body with a vertical fist, and hooks to the head with a horizontal fist especially in the amateurs so you don't get called for slapping (hitting with the inside of the fist instead of the white striking area).

I can't get much power with a horizontal fist, and I've never been warned for slapping so I throw them how I like. It just feels more comfortable. I guess my coach stopped caring about it for me because he never corrects me even though he still does other people.
I've seen Manny a few times jab with it vertical. It's all about the angles.

fight game
03-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Vertical but my horizontal is more faster.

you don't throw your straights or jabs vertical do you?

Verstyle
03-01-2009, 09:50 PM
you don't throw your straights or jabs vertical do you?

Depend on the angle I need to be into to get to my opponent.

BrooklynBomber
03-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Go here for all hook discussion

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249816

joe90210
03-02-2009, 01:35 AM
I think Dempsey says to jab with a vertical fist, hook is horizontal

Neill Ryan
03-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Funny you should ask that,

I asked the very same question to Derek Roche, the 3 time British Welterweight champion. His answer is on youtube, here's the link.

Neill Ryan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COXAw6XnUy4

KostyaTszyu44
03-02-2009, 05:05 PM
horizontal always, but vertical for hooks

Equilibrium
03-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Interesting thread, i always throw my hooks vertically with my palm facing me. For straight punches it depends on the space i have to get them in while sparring, recently i started throwing a straight left that i rotate as much as i can, so my palm is almost pointing completely away from me. It's good to get the punch between the gloves of your opponent, but i still don't really feel comfortable throwing it. One other punch i throw vertically is my up jab.

I have seen european fighters throwing hooks vertically, it works fine for them but it feels so awkward to me.

Flab
03-03-2009, 12:15 AM
I always twist to a 30-degree angle when punching.

res
03-03-2009, 12:24 AM
I always twist to a 30-degree angle when punching.

lol how did you get "30" degrees?

But yeah, I've always thought jabs worked best with a fist at about a 45 degree angle.

Flab
03-03-2009, 12:26 AM
lol how did you get "30" degrees?

But yeah, I've always thought jabs worked best with a fist at about a 45 degree angle.

Just an approximation. :lol1:

GAMILARAAY
03-03-2009, 06:32 AM
My straights come out sharp with the old school start vertical and hit horizontal, though i must say i feel i get more power with my hooks doing a vertical hit . . . . . .

Squabbles94806
03-03-2009, 09:05 AM
I punch vertically at an angle when i use my jab sometimes. On a hook? Ya gotta turn that ***** over. That's what my coach keeps tellin me.

F l i c k e r
03-03-2009, 03:03 PM
When im southpaw I throw my punches with the right fist verticle. Regardless of what it is, hook or a jab. I dont throw uppercuts when in southpaw, I use Ruddock's "smash" technique. Its angle is perfect and the power is just as good as a hook. Plus, I just never threw uppercuts when southpaw.

Orthodox, my left hand isn't as fast as my right(even though im a natural orthodox). So I dont use the vertical fist when orthodox because it returns too slow. Then again, my fist isn't horizontal, its at a slight angle like a 45 maybe. So my wrist wont bend back on impact.