View Full Version : Weight lifting vs body weight calisthenics

kostya tszyu
03-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Ok im not boasting by any part im 16 years 7 months old been boxing for a year won 9 fight without a loss im realy fast im 76 kg and im faster then alot of the bantam weights now im not sure if im strong or not i have realy strong forearms and wrists but i bench press **** all is this possible like can you be realy strong in one area and weak in the other? anyways do all modern day boxers lift weights these days kostya tszyu did 100% calisthenics and he had a knock out punch in my opinion was a slugger anyways can calisthenics build hardcore strength and a nice physique? i have a siz pack but im fairly skinny wanna bulk up a little im 6 kg under lightheavy weight ao any help is much appreciated cheers.

Trrmo
03-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Ok im not boasting by any part im 16 years 7 months old been boxing for a year won 9 fight without a loss im realy fast im 76 kg and im faster then alot of the bantam weights now im not sure if im strong or not i have realy strong forearms and wrists but i bench press **** all is this possible like can you be realy strong in one area and weak in the other? anyways do all modern day boxers lift weights these days kostya tszyu did 100% calisthenics and he had a knock out punch in my opinion was a slugger anyways can calisthenics build hardcore strength and a nice physique? i have a siz pack but im fairly skinny wanna bulk up a little im 6 kg under lightheavy weight ao any help is much appreciated cheers.

Thats a great record, so why do you need to change? you donīt need to bench press big to be a good boxer! you will fill out naturally as you get older anyway, you need to eat enough for growth though.

If you just want to get stronger lift heavy weights & if you control your calories you wonīt get much bigger just stronger. You can do 3 sets of around 5 reps doing the basics - squats, benchpress, shoulderpress, deadlifts, rows and chin-ups (might need to attach a weight to your body once you can easily do 12+ reps).Do them once or twice a week. Forget about the isolation exercises such as bicep curls etc. This will increase your overall strength

To gain biggers muscles and increase weight you need to eat more cals than you burn, this usually will mean an increase in fat which you can cut later. increase your calorie intake by about 500 grams or so. You need to get plenty of rest too so cut back on the cardio. So if you really want to do it (getter bigger) wait until off season so it wonīt affect your boxing. I would concentrate on boxing though if I was you.

fight game
03-01-2009, 03:33 PM
if you're gonna work with weights keep the reps high so you get that lean muscle. if you do high weight and low reps you'll get bulky muscle that tires quickly.

just try adding weights to your routine if it has a positive affect on your performance keep it if it slows you down stick to body weight ****. everyone's body responds to things differently so give it a try.

Trrmo
03-01-2009, 03:37 PM
if you're gonna work with weights keep the reps high so you get that lean muscle. if you do high weight and low reps you'll get bulky muscle that tires quickly.

Not true. You wont get the bulky muscle unless you EAT enough (calorie surplus).

How many times does this need to be said?

fight game
03-01-2009, 03:41 PM
Not true. You wont get the bulky muscle unless you EAT enough (calorie surplus).

my apologies lol.

Trrmo
03-01-2009, 03:43 PM
Does this guy look "bulky" to you?? not bulky but very strong!
http://blog.newsweek.com/photos/olympicslaforet/images/559654/original.aspx

how about this girl... bulky?
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dE79vV9iJfNo/340x.jpg

andrewcuff
03-01-2009, 03:45 PM

Boxing must be one of the only sports that hasn't taken advantage of weight training to improve athletes performance.

Training with low reps will improves a boxers raw strength and power without adding weight if the calorific intake is controlled. What boxer wouldn't want to get stronger?

In response to the Kostya Tszyu comment above, he was reportedly benching over 300lbs in his prime, hence the KO power!

fight game
03-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Does this guy look "bulky" to you?? not bulky but very strong!
http://blog.newsweek.com/photos/olympicslaforet/images/559654/original.aspx

how about this girl... bulky?
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0dE79vV9iJfNo/340x.jpg

all I know is when we trained for football they had us doing low reps high weight to bulk us up. boxing is a sport that'll get you dead tired im just tryna help my man relax.

andrewcuff
03-01-2009, 03:50 PM
all I know is when we trained for football they had us doing low reps high weight to bulk us up. boxing is a sport that'll get you dead tired im just tryna help my man relax.

Rep range is irrelevant if you are on a calorie controlled diet.

You can use compound lifts with a low rep range to improve raw strength and then use the rounds on the heavy bag/focus mitts/sparring to improve conditioning/endurance.

I use 5 sets of 5 reps and use the following exercises: push press, deadlift, squat, weighted pullups, weighted dips, squats.

Then to improve my endurance I hit the bag, skip etc

Hope that helps

fight game
03-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Rep range is irrelevant if you are on a calorie controlled diet.

You can use compound lifts with a low rep range to improve raw strength and then use the rounds on the heavy bag/focus mitts/sparring to improve conditioning/endurance.

I use 5 sets of 5 reps and use the following exercises: push press, deadlift, squat, weighted pullups, weighted dips, squats.

Then to improve my endurance I hit the bag, skip etc

Hope that helps

yea thanks I always thought low reps had something to do with increasing the rate your body makes lactic acid and tires you out but I guess not.

andrewcuff
03-01-2009, 03:55 PM
yea thanks I always thought low reps had something to do with increasing the rate your body makes lactic acid and tires you out but I guess not.

I'm pretty sure that lactic acid build-up is far worse when doing high rep lifts than whe training for strength, hence the burning feeling! :)

5x5 is a real good way of improving your strength.

You pick a weight you can do 5 reps of 5 of and then increase it by 5lbs each time you get all 25 reps.

Trrmo
03-01-2009, 03:55 PM

Thats cool, and it will bulk you up for football too but you need to eat lots and rest lots too. The Rippetoe starting strength program is perfect for that.

Just wanted to show that these olympic weightlifters lift heavy with low reps all the time but are not bulky!

fight game
03-01-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm pretty sure that lactic acid build-up is far worse when doing high rep lifts than whe training for strength, hence the burning feeling! :)

You pick a weight you can do 5 reps of 5 of and then increase it by 5lbs each time you get all 25 reps.
Thats cool, and it will bulk you up for football too but you need to eat lots and rest lots too. The Rippetoe starting strength program is perfect for that.

Just wanted to show that these olympic weightlifters lift heavy with low reps all the time but are not bulky!

I see.....

elfag
03-01-2009, 08:02 PM
I think a lot of the favor of bodyweight exercises is that they are compound movements. I would think that doing compound weight exercises would be pretty much the same thing and could be just as beneficial and moreso that you can go beyond your body weight. Just dont get to into isolation weight exercises like curls that wont be that important for sport strength.

sukhenkoy
03-01-2009, 11:37 PM
I personally prefer bodyweight exercises, as I've gotten stronger from them than I have from weight-training (and more defined as well).

Most gymnasts don't do weights, and are strong as **** (as well as ripped). However, a lot of them carry too much bulk to succeed in boxing.

Really depends on what you're looking to do, kostya.

AztecWanker
03-02-2009, 12:21 AM
Boxing must be one of the only sports that hasn't taken advantage of weight training to improve athletes performance.

Training with low reps will improves a boxers raw strength and power without adding weight if the calorific intake is controlled. What boxer wouldn't want to get stronger?

In response to the Kostya Tszyu comment above, he was reportedly benching over 300lbs in his prime, hence the KO power!

I think I read somewhere that Kostya would bench press 75lbs for 70 reps.

Shenker
03-02-2009, 12:38 AM

If you find that the effects of lactic acid build up is effecting your training, use creatine, which dilutes the lactic acid. If you don't like supplements, eat a couple steaks a week: creatine from it's natural source.