View Full Version : Cuban style of training...

mickyward5656
02-24-2009, 08:20 AM
I recently herd of this Cuban style of boxing training, cant remember where i herd of it, could of been on here, but basicly it consistes of 20 rounds of shadowboxing and only 3 rounds of everything else like mitts heavybag sparring ect. My question is does anyone follow this style of training? im gunna give it a try cus I can see how it could really work. Everyone says shaddow boxing is the most underrated training exercise out there. Let me no what you think...

Del Coqui
02-24-2009, 09:12 AM
I recently herd of this Cuban style of boxing training, cant remember where i herd of it, could of been on here, but basicly it consistes of 20 rounds of shadowboxing and only 3 rounds of everything else like mitts heavybag sparring ect. My question is does anyone follow this style of training? im gunna give it a try cus I can see how it could really work. Everyone says shaddow boxing is the most underrated training exercise out there. Let me no what you think...

I once saw a documentary about boxing training in La Habana and it wasn't like that at all. This guys would get up and run like hell in the morning, obviously different work outs different days. in hte after noon they would do the gym work, lots of stations and supervision over there but all eyes where on sparring. they take their boxing very serious over there.

dchampishere
02-24-2009, 02:03 PM
I once saw a documentary about boxing training in La Habana and it wasn't like that at all. This guys would get up and run like hell in the morning, obviously different work outs different days. in hte after noon they would do the gym work, lots of stations and supervision over there but all eyes where on sparring. they take their boxing very serious over there.
before you comment do your research. i was born in Havana Cuba i started boxing when i was 7 in the cuban system so i know what im talking about and the doc you saw was only a clip of the training. 12 years and 236 am fights in cuba so i know the system. shadowboxing is the most important thing you can do. we would just shadowbox for 2 hours a day. the sparring is alot more than 3 rounds, im talkin about the floor exercisizes are 3 rounds each

Trrmo
02-24-2009, 04:09 PM
^ ^
this is the man to ask!

Tell me though, did you shadow box with weights as well? or what was the routine?

dchampishere
02-24-2009, 05:09 PM
^ ^
this is the man to ask!

Tell me though, did you shadow box with weights as well? or what was the routine?
i would not use weights because you are truly learning your body through shadowboxing and the extra weight is not natural, therefor will hinder your progress. shadowbox with your gloves on for at least half of your shadowboxing. and all ways remember your shadow is the perfect opponent you cant hurt it, it cant hurt you, its always there and its always ready to go some rounds

Del Coqui
02-24-2009, 06:41 PM
before you comment do your research. i was born in Havana Cuba i started boxing when i was 7 in the cuban system so i know what im talking about and the doc you saw was only a clip of the training. 12 years and 236 am fights in cuba so i know the system. shadowboxing is the most important thing you can do. we would just shadowbox for 2 hours a day. the sparring is alot more than 3 rounds, im talkin about the floor exercisizes are 3 rounds each

Like I said, it was a documentary, not calling you a liar never even read your post where you mention all your knowledge about the Cuban system. I do find it funny thou that after all those years in Cuba you don't even know it's not "Havana" its "La Habana" with long b. If you say shadowboxing for 2 hrs a day would give Cuban am fighters the edge and that what I saw was an all bs documentary, I take your word for it boss. Olleme chiquitico note ponga comemierda tu!:D

estbn
02-24-2009, 07:57 PM
This is a great threat. Please keep posting dchampishere lol.

estbn
02-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Like I said, it was a documentary, not calling you a liar never even read your post where you mention all your knowledge about the Cuban system. I do find it funny thou that after all those years in Cuba you don't even know it's not "Havana" its "La Habana" with long b. If you say shadowboxing for 2 hrs a day would give Cuban am fighters the edge and that what I saw was an all bs documentary, I take your word for it boss. Olleme chiquitico note ponga comemierda tu!:D

I am not really sure but i think that in english is written "Havana" and "Habana" in spanish (no much diference), and as we know, he was writing in english.

Havana (Spanish: La Habana?·i, IPA: [la a***712;***946;ana]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havana

Del Coqui
02-24-2009, 08:16 PM
I am not really sure but i think that in english is written "Havana" and "Habana" in spanish (no much diference), and as we know, he was writing in english.

Havana (Spanish: La Habana?·i, IPA: [la a***712;***946;ana]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Havana

I live in Puerto Rico, I know many Cubans, can't picture a single Cuban who would write Havana, English or Spanish, you don't know how proud this ppl are. Not saying this dude is talking bs, just thought its odd that's all.

dchampishere
02-25-2009, 02:51 AM
I live in Puerto Rico, I know many Cubans, can't picture a single Cuban who would write Havana, English or Spanish, you don't know how proud this ppl are. Not saying this dude is talking bs, just thought its odd that's all.
i know many Puerto Ricans and to say that they all write and think and spell a like is very silly dont you think? and for my second language i think i write very well. and this site is in ingles no?

bbos
02-25-2009, 03:07 AM
I never knew shadow boxing carried such importance, I'm going to start shadow boxing every day again, since I can't train at a gym right now in college.

dchampishere
02-25-2009, 03:17 AM
and you seem kind of bitter over a comment like do your research. i know a lot of Puerto Ricans and they wouldnt get bitter over someting like that, you dont know how proud thoes ppl are. im not sayin your talkin bs i just find it odd thats all. lol.

but seriously i dont care who belives me or not im just sharing information that i have for those who chose to listen.

Del Coqui
02-25-2009, 05:47 AM
i know many Puerto Ricans and to say that they all write and think and spell a like is very silly dont you think? and for my second language i think i write very well. and this site is in ingles no?

LOL, you sure are Cuban! Now lets talk boxing Fidel, tell us more about the Cuban system, if you could enlighten us. Those shadow boxing sessions, are they in partners, doing drills, working on something specific, how's that? I mean 2 hrs a day of shadow boxing is pretty much a pro's daily workout time in the gym.

selk
02-25-2009, 05:56 AM
shadow boxing assinged for me 3rds 3mins each before doing the mits which was 3-4rds 3mins each also. anyway im just a beginner :D

Del Coqui
02-25-2009, 06:07 AM
shadow boxing assinged for me 3rds 3mins each before doing the mits which was 3-4rds 3mins each also. anyway im just a beginner :D

That's very normal, usually we do 20 mins, but that of course depends on your coach. Does your coach keep an eye on you while you shadow box?

selk
02-25-2009, 07:50 AM
sometimes, but not always specially as there are many boxers coming to train in the gym but when he see's some mistake he always tells me like being relax and snap back after throwing and keep hands up and not to be flat footed always be on proper stance all the time.

DA1CATAS
02-25-2009, 09:32 AM
Hmmmm.. interesting thread.

Both you guys sound like you have a good amount of knowledge.

I'm reading everything:ghost:.

Reggie Miller
02-25-2009, 09:37 AM

There are cubans in PR? :confused:

Landon S
02-25-2009, 11:30 AM
I totally agree with dchamp. I shadowbox for at least a half hour each day and its done a world of good for me, it gets things to be automatic and smooth (which makes it seem quicker). However theres a big difference between just shadowboxing and shadowboxing well. You really have to work on defense and footwork even though no one is swinging at you so that its automatic and you'll "accidentally" (its no accident) block shots.

selk
02-25-2009, 11:46 AM
im gonna put more fire in my shadowbox now thanks for advice.

Del Coqui
02-25-2009, 12:00 PM
There are cubans in PR? :confused:

yeap, lots of Cubans and Dominicans where I live.

dchampishere
02-25-2009, 12:20 PM
yes, and im in Mexico City right now and there are cubans here to

Del Coqui
02-25-2009, 12:35 PM

Damn that's good champ, they taught you all that swimming at boxing camp or does it come from shadow boxing 2hrs every day? :notworthy

dchampishere
02-25-2009, 01:03 PM
Damn that's good champ, they taught you all that swimming at boxing camp or does it come from shadow boxing 2hrs every day? :notworthy
ja ja ja. i like you your funny. nope i defected almost 9 years ago, im in the free world now my friend! and no i didnt have to swim over we had water-wings. lol

selk
02-25-2009, 01:19 PM
how u got out of cuba?

Del Coqui
02-25-2009, 01:40 PM
ja ja ja. i like you your funny. nope i defected almost 9 years ago, im in the free world now my friend! and no i didnt have to swim over we had water-wings. lol

LOL, saludos amigo, sabes que es bromeando.

KostyaTszyu44
02-25-2009, 03:43 PM
well anything the cubans are doing obviously works

shadowboxing is so underrated, i personally find it very fun to do and do it both at home and at the gym

Journeyman
02-25-2009, 07:37 PM
two things my trainer always tells me to do outside of the gym religiously: shadowboxing and situps/crunches...

Reggie Miller
02-25-2009, 07:57 PM
yeap, lots of Cubans and Dominicans where I live.

Wow....:confused:

potatoes
02-26-2009, 12:38 PM

Yeah, I saw that documentary too. On PBS as I recall. Castro likes to say that professional boxing is exploitation. Well, let me tell you that the Cuba boxing system is some of the worst child exploitation I have ever seen. It wouldn't be allowed in this country!

Trrmo
02-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I saw that documentary too. On PBS as I recall. Castro likes to say that professional boxing is exploitation. Well, let me tell you that the Cuba boxing system is some of the worst child exploitation I have ever seen. It wouldn't be allowed in this country!

I donīt know if I would call it exploitation as the kids can choose to box or not. Some of the methods seem pretty harsh and outdated. Very authoritarian, and alot of pro government propaganda as well. The best amateurs here in Ecuador train and live under a system with alot borrowed from the Cuban system. You have to line up in height order and then listen to long motivation speeches at the beginnning and end of training etc. But isnīt that just like training in armed forces anywhere?

But alot of things are behind the times in these less developed countries, although hard to criticise the Cuban education and medical system.

I have seen a documentary on young gymnasts in Australia and it didnīt seem much worse though.

potatoes
02-26-2009, 01:31 PM
I donīt know if I would call it exploitation as the kids can choose to box or not. Some of the methods seem pretty harsh and outdated. Very authoritarian, and alot of pro government propaganda as well. The best amateurs here in Ecuador train and live under a system with alot borrowed from the Cuban system. You have to line up in height order and then listen to long motivation speeches at the beginnning and end of training etc. But isnīt that just like training in armed forces anywhere?

But alot of things are behind the times in these less developed countries, although hard to criticise the Cuban education and medical system.

I have seen a documentary on young gymnasts in Australia and it didnīt seem much worse though.

12 year old kids can't be expected to make wise decisions, they wouldn't know what questions to ask. How many kids in Cuba knew that they would be starved to make weight? How many of them were told that some idiot would make an arbitrary decision as to what weight they would fight at? When you put kids through a pressurized system, you can't be sure what it is going to do to their psyche. Felix Savon was a great boxer. I wonder what kind of a man he is.

BrooklynBomber
02-26-2009, 01:36 PM
Pretty interesting, although I have to note that chinese training regime is probably the harshest that I have heard about.

I trained under soviet style, which is quite close to cuban and that was something I could do, if I am motivated enough. Chinese trainig regime I would not even come close to that.

BrooklynBomber
02-26-2009, 01:39 PM
Also want to add that shadowboxing is indeed one of the most important aspects of the game, it is where your motoric skills are learned and pretty much the base of your boxing skill, if you dont do it right here, you ain't gonna do it right anywhere else.

Trrmo
02-26-2009, 01:41 PM
12 year old kids can't be expected to make wise decisions, they wouldn't know what questions to ask. How many kids in Cuba knew that they would be starved to make weight? How many of them were told that some idiot would make an arbitrary decision as to what weight they would fight at? When you put kids through a pressurized system, you can't be sure what it is going to do to their psyche. Felix Savon was a great boxer. I wonder what kind of a man he is.

Yeah but thats what I saw in the gymnast documentary, little girls crying from the strict training, weight restrictions etc.

Trrmo
02-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Dchampishere would be the person to ask about this though seeing he went through the whole Cuban training system.

dchampishere
02-26-2009, 02:33 PM
it was an hounor to be a boxer in my country, no one forced anyone to box. and you say we starved to make weight no we didnt. you do not know what we did throug some program on pbs. being a cuban am boxer is the greatest thing i have ever done and i am hounored to say i was in that system. the brotherhood, the pride, the sorrow, the pain and the sacrifice i made there has made me the person that i am. i see some of these rich kids other places with no drive or self respect and they have the world at thier feet and do nothing because they never had to truly find themselves through adversity

BrooklynBomber
02-26-2009, 02:43 PM
it was an hounor to be a boxer in my country, no one forced anyone to box. and you say we starved to make weight no we didnt. you do not know what we did throug some program on pbs. being a cuban am boxer is the greatest thing i have ever done and i am hounored to say i was in that system. the brotherhood, the pride, the sorrow, the pain and the sacrifice i made there has made me the person that i am. i see some of these rich kids other places with no drive or self respect and they have the world at thier feet and do nothing because they never had to truly find themselves through adversity

What do you do now?
Do you fight or train?

big paulie
02-26-2009, 02:44 PM

Post of the year nominee! Green k

Trrmo
02-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Pretty interesting, although I have to note that chinese training regime is probably the harshest that I have heard about.

I trained under soviet style, which is quite close to cuban and that was something I could do, if I am motivated enough. Chinese trainig regime I would not even come close to that.

What was the soviet style of training like?

BrooklynBomber
02-26-2009, 04:11 PM
What was the soviet style of training like?

There were different types of training, on the usual non sparring day we would have very long and exhausting warmups where would work on body weight exercises, combined bodyweight exercises(where I would work in pair with someone else), medball exercises and same weight training, but the point of the warm up would be to exhaust us so much that by the time I would work with the trainer or in a pair, I would be dripping sweat all over and be barely able to keep myself up. At that point we would be "ready" for the actual boxing practice where we would work be doing the usual boxing drills and exercises. We would also receive all sorts of motivational speeches from out trainers and older kids.

On the days when we would spar we would have much shorter warm up and minimum of stretching and then actual sparring.

But before are sort of training we would do at least 20-30 minutes of shadowboxing. We would also do at least 30 minutes of shadow boxing every day at home as a homework.

Scipio
11-29-2011, 11:32 AM
bump. does the cuban boxer still post around here? wisdom

sugersean15
11-29-2011, 12:27 PM
hope so.......

terriblegabe
12-09-2011, 01:56 AM
good read.....

Vitez
12-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Here's the original thread of dchampishere.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247043

I totally didn't get it at first!

But then I started to feel my shots getting much more accelerated. Like really snappy shots with minimum effort. It's just something that I could not develop on a heavy bag.

So thank you dchampishere!

frosty-g
12-14-2011, 05:21 PM

glad to read your post- one thing that drives me mad is how everybody is an "expert" on things to do with cuba yet most have never even been to cuba. it is not a place you can easily understand or know without spending a lot of time there.

yeah the documentary is interesting but the director doesn't know a great deal about boxing. i went to the london premiere of the "sons of cuba" feature version and he gave a Q&A session and it was obvious he had little idea about the actual boxing side of things. good film otherwise though.

i have spent quite a bit of time in cuba training and have a diploma in coaching boxing from havana cuba (yes it is "havana" in english and "la habana" in spanish seeing as some people were confused).

i don't believe the kids are exploited and being a boxer in cuba is a great honour. cuba has an amazing system and the prowess in international competition doesn't just come from hard work but also intelligence and understanding as well as rhythm, passion and other ingredients.

it's not very long and is all in spanish but here's a little documentary about a mate of mine over in havana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC7gNf216D8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chxy3cmqECw&feature=related

"decimos que somos un grupo de amigos que practicamos boxeo"
"we say that we're a group of friends that practice boxing"
in the national teams it's more serious of course (though the lad here was meant to be fighting in the torneo por equipos/team tournament which is a nationwide tournament) but people should be aware that it's certainly not a system that is oppressive and grim.

dchampishere
12-15-2011, 03:29 PM
glad to read your post- one thing that drives me mad is how everybody is an "expert" on things to do with cuba yet most have never even been to cuba. it is not a place you can easily understand or know without spending a lot of time there.

yeah the documentary is interesting but the director doesn't know a great deal about boxing. i went to the london premiere of the "sons of cuba" feature version and he gave a Q&A session and it was obvious he had little idea about the actual boxing side of things. good film otherwise though.

i have spent quite a bit of time in cuba training and have a diploma in coaching boxing from havana cuba (yes it is "havana" in english and "la habana" in spanish seeing as some people were confused).

i don't believe the kids are exploited and being a boxer in cuba is a great honour. cuba has an amazing system and the prowess in international competition doesn't just come from hard work but also intelligence and understanding as well as rhythm, passion and other ingredients.

it's not very long and is all in spanish but here's a little documentary about a mate of mine over in havana:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC7gNf216D8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chxy3cmqECw&feature=related

"decimos que somos un grupo de amigos que practicamos boxeo"
"we say that we're a group of friends that practice boxing"
in the national teams it's more serious of course (though the lad here was meant to be fighting in the torneo por equipos/team tournament which is a nationwide tournament) but people should be aware that it's certainly not a system that is oppressive and grim.
very well said

any craic lad?
12-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Seen an interview once where Kostya Tsyzu said how the night before an amateur fight (not sure if it was national or international) is trainer took him to a night club and made him stay up all night.The purpose Tszyu said was that if ever things did not go to plan before a fight not sleeping the night before etc he would not worry and he would stay calm.Always found it funny

UglyPug
12-15-2011, 04:16 PM
intense. . . hard. . . brutal. . . unforgiving. . . mix of old school fail proof methods, coupled with new school scientifically supported aspects. . .

phillybrinks
12-17-2011, 07:29 PM
two things my trainer always tells me to do outside of the gym religiously: shadowboxing and situps/crunches

+1 me too !!!!

BarryRobinson
12-20-2011, 06:53 AM

If you want to be a good pro, you should focus on that. If you train an amateur style....you will be a good amateur

dchampishere
12-20-2011, 07:06 PM
If you want to be a good pro, you should focus on that. If you train an amateur style....you will be a good amateur
hey berry, can you please explain how is is shadowboxing amateur style training? And please let me know how many pros ask you for advice in this fourm

MexicanMauler
05-22-2012, 10:33 PM
i would not use weights because you are truly learning your body through shadowboxing and the extra weight is not natural, therefor will hinder your progress. shadowbox with your gloves on for at least half of your shadowboxing. and all ways remember your shadow is the perfect opponent you cant hurt it, it cant hurt you, its always there and its always ready to go some rounds

Great advice