View Full Version : The secret

dchampishere
02-20-2009, 02:00 PM
the reason most people tense up in the ring is because they are worried about getting hit, not afraid mind you but to concerned. when you step in the ring know that you are going to get hit and dont worry about it. before you work out try picture in your mind you moving fast and smooth in your own way. shadowboxing is the closest to fighting without fighting because you are training you body how to move and react and it becomes muscle memory and second nature. 95% of people in the gym do not shadowbox enough because you don't get the satisfaction of hitting something, i train my fighters the cuban way and that means shadowboxing 10-20 rounds and everything else 2-3 rounds each. hitting things gives some fighters a false sence of security and disrupts thier balance and stops them from truly mastering thier body. and remember do no "try" "DO" because when you try you can fail but you cannot fail when you simply just "DO". never stay stationary always move something, if your feet arn't moving move your torso and if your torso isn't moving move your head. be UNPREDICTABLE ALWAYS, change the angle, speed and power of your punches when working out or in the ring. keep your opponent gussing until it too late for him. never worry about losing or looking stupid to others because this is a personal journey of self-discovery

Trrmo
02-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Great advice thanks.

Trrmo
02-20-2009, 03:43 PM
What sort of shadowboxing do you recomend? with or without gloves? use light weights or without weights or both?

Eric Holder
02-20-2009, 06:13 PM
great post

Richie-G
02-20-2009, 08:52 PM
very good post :boxing:

rj_ct
02-20-2009, 09:07 PM
never worry about losing or looking stupid to others because this is a personal journey of self-discovery

wow. someone on the forum actually said something... profound. good post, dude.

GAMILARAAY
02-21-2009, 07:06 AM
Good to see someone post a constructive thread !

nairbon357
02-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Great post!
Shadowboxing is great way to find the mistake your doing too. Be self critic when doing your shadow boxing, look that your jab don't come back to low, replace your feet after a couple of punch,....
:boxing:

estbn
02-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks man, i hope you make another post soon.

By the way... are you cuban?

cotto16
02-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Great post i need to shadow box alot more!!

dchampishere
02-24-2009, 06:54 PM
thank you for your kind words. i back to answer the questions, i was born in Havana Cuba i started boxing when i was 7 in the cuban system. i boxed for 12 years and had 236 am fights. shadowboxing is the most important thing you can do. we would just shadowbox for 2 hours a day. i said it before but i will say it again, your shadow is the perfect opponent because you cant hurt it, it cant hurt you, its always there and its always ready to go some rounds. with all of the cubans going pro now you can see what shadowboxing can do for a fighter.

estbn
02-24-2009, 09:04 PM
thank you for your kind words. i back to answer the questions, i was born in Havana Cuba i started boxing when i was 7 in the cuban system. i boxed for 12 years and had 236 am fights. shadowboxing is the most important thing you can do. we would just shadowbox for 2 hours a day. i said it before but i will say it again, your shadow is the perfect opponent because you cant hurt it, it cant hurt you, its always there and its always ready to go some rounds. with all of the cubans going pro now you can see what shadowboxing can do for a fighter.

Oye! En que gimnasio tu entrenabas en Cuba?... alguna vez peleaste con algun boxeador cubano famoso (olimpico), o entrenaste con alguno?

Espero que me puedas contestar hermano. Y gracias por los consejos.

Spacey1991
02-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks, I seriously actually learned something here... dchampishere, I give you your props!

dchampishere
02-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Oye! En que gimnasio tu entrenabas en Cuba?... alguna vez peleaste con algun boxeador cubano famoso (olimpico), o entrenaste con alguno?

Espero que me puedas contestar hermano. Y gracias por los consejos.
gracias mi hermano pero, im going to switch to english so everbody else can understand. yes in the years i was there i boxed many very good cubans but this thread is not about me. i kind of think it is not in good taste to talk about your yourself too much. the reason i posted this thread is just to share some information that some people might find interesting

Mr Robinson
03-03-2009, 08:35 AM
gracias mi hermano pero, im going to switch to english so everbody else can understand. yes in the years i was there i boxed many very good cubans but this thread is not about me. i kind of think it is not in good taste to talk about your yourself too much. the reason i posted this thread is just to share some information that some people might find interesting

Major, major props, I'll think over your words. Thanks.

Ramamaiden
03-03-2009, 08:46 AM
wow...great post.
i think i will shadow box more and more seriously now.
about a question someone asked...do you reccomend to shadow box with gloves or a little weight??
i feel uncomfortable shadow boxing with gloves, but if you think its good, ill work on it :boxing: with a little weight i feel fine.

dchampishere
07-15-2009, 02:59 PM
i have been getting a lot of pms for advice so i am going to bump theses posts. if anyone has more questions pm me.

danny stash
07-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Awesome post!

Dynamite Glove
07-15-2009, 08:30 PM
good thread. who's the dude in your avatar? superman tat on the chest ftw :)

killacash
07-15-2009, 09:10 PM
dchamp you're a good dude. I wish I had you as my trainer.

Alexandros
07-15-2009, 09:35 PM
i always expect to get hit so i can counters as i have no yet good in head movements still practice. :D

Rockin'
07-15-2009, 09:41 PM
shadow boxing is awsome, but I highly recommend that you have somebody watching you if you havent been around long. Even if you have been around long you can not see when you do wrong, bad habits. Thats where a good trainer is priceless, they will see..........Rockin':boxing:

j
07-16-2009, 01:30 AM
even people who are not afraid of bing hit can get tense. there is emotional tenseness and physical tenseness. first timers have both.

also, losing/failing is a great way to learn. so failing is a good thing - as long as your failing is part of your training and not the outcome/product.

tomhead69
07-16-2009, 07:01 AM
very good post
shadow boxing is very good for bad habits you can correct them always good for hand speed i think :)

YoungJab
02-16-2010, 03:22 PM
bump

great post!!

Double Jab
05-13-2010, 02:42 PM
This thread should never be lost, bumping it again so everyone can read it.

alexbr
05-13-2010, 11:48 PM
That's a really good post.

I do have the same question as some friends above: is it better to shadowbox with gloves on? with weights? free hands?

Thanks in advance!

dreaded_FIST
05-14-2010, 03:50 PM
Awesome advice!!

Del Coqui
05-14-2010, 05:17 PM
shadowboxing is great as someone said but nothing beats sparring.

BirdsIView
06-17-2010, 02:49 AM
Great stuff.

1 HitterQuitter
06-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Good post helpful

dchampishere
06-18-2010, 12:55 AM
That's a really good post.

I do have the same question as some friends above: is it better to shadowbox with gloves on? with weights? free hands?

Thanks in advance!
shadowbox free-hand (no weights, no gloves) the majority of the time but the closer the fight gets spend more time shadowboxing with the same size gloves you fight with, (i.e 50/50) but also experiment with weights and what not to give your body different stimulus to adapt to thus forcing yourself to reach new levels. remember its all about discovery and whether you think you can or you cant your right

I am tyler
06-20-2010, 10:16 AM
never thought of shadow boxing being that helpful, awesome advice, thanks dude

ronniejunior
06-20-2010, 02:23 PM
never thought of shadow boxing being that helpful, awesome advice, thanks dude

Excellent thread and information!

southpaw2884
06-20-2010, 04:21 PM
thanks alot for the advice bro.. when i shadow box i try to stay with form and try the throw as many combs as i can and try to get a cardio workout from it is this bad? like forcing myself to throw more than i am usually able to.

I am tyler
06-27-2010, 06:35 AM
After doing the shadow boxing for 20 2min rounds for a few days i sparred. Sparring was awesome i was a beast haha. Seemed to help loads. So right about being relaxed.

Sam Donald
06-27-2010, 08:12 AM
After doing the shadow boxing for 20 2min rounds for a few days i sparred. Sparring was awesome i was a beast haha. Seemed to help loads. So right about being relaxed.

excellent!

boxingaudio
06-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Hehe...,ima start shadowboxing a hella of a lot more then...the thing is that i like feeling my gloves making contact with the bags...but if it makes me better...i'll do it...:boxing:

dchampishere
06-28-2010, 11:43 AM
thanks alot for the advice bro.. when i shadow box i try to stay with form and try the throw as many combs as i can and try to get a cardio workout from it is this bad? like forcing myself to throw more than i am usually able to.
Anything you feel like doing when you shadowbox is good, as long as you are experimenting you will find your way, and you will know it is right because it feels right to you.

southpaw2884
06-28-2010, 07:59 PM
word up i have noticed a big difference i use the bag primarily for drills and power punching.. i work on technique and footwork with shadowboxing it helps

Dirt
06-28-2010, 09:35 PM
my problem is that i seem to think the opponent is always throwing the same combos, haha. because when i'm thinking of combos my opponent is throwing at me, i think of the ones that I like to throw the most (and since ima beginner, there aren't to many that i throw, lol.

same thing with the rhythm and timing.

what can i do to improve?

thanks!

dchampishere
06-29-2010, 11:39 AM
my problem is that i seem to think the opponent is always throwing the same combos, haha. because when i'm thinking of combos my opponent is throwing at me, i think of the ones that I like to throw the most (and since ima beginner, there aren't to many that i throw, lol.

same thing with the rhythm and timing.

what can i do to improve?

thanks!
Music! shadowbox to music, because i find that most people "think" too much when they are shadowboxing making thier movements stiff and forced, but with a little music they loosen up and start to tap into what i call the "Flow" (Flow= a rythmic some what trance like state where the boxer feels his movments). and remember do not "try" just relax and know with pratice it will come.

The Golden Boy
07-01-2010, 09:18 AM
Fantastic post, thank you.

Sam Donald
07-07-2010, 08:30 AM
bump!!!

This thread helps heeps

dchampishere
03-22-2011, 04:09 PM
just a bump for the new members

SplitSecond
03-22-2011, 04:13 PM
the reason most people tense up in the ring is because they are worried about getting hit, not afraid mind you but to concerned. when you step in the ring know that you are going to get hit and dont worry about it. before you work out try picture in your mind you moving fast and smooth in your own way. shadowboxing is the closest to fighting without fighting because you are training you body how to move and react and it becomes muscle memory and second nature. 95% of people in the gym do not shadowbox enough because you don't get the satisfaction of hitting something, i train my fighters the cuban way and that means shadowboxing 10-20 rounds and everything else 2-3 rounds each. hitting things gives some fighters a false sence of security and disrupts thier balance and stops them from truly mastering thier body. and remember do no "try" "DO" because when you try you can fail but you cannot fail when you simply just "DO". never stay stationary always move something, if your feet arn't moving move your torso and if your torso isn't moving move your head. be UNPREDICTABLE ALWAYS, change the angle, speed and power of your punches when working out or in the ring. keep your opponent gussing until it too late for him. never worry about losing or looking stupid to others because this is a personal journey of self-discovery
yep, shadowboxing is taken lightly by everyone, i absolutley love to shadowbox, also in my personal opinion, it's very important to be imaginative, not just during shadowboxing, but when you chillin, you should be thinking about you boxing, give yourself positive mental imagery, plus practicing in your mind helps your technique for when you actually attempt it in reality

dchampishere
12-12-2011, 12:09 PM
someone bumped the thread on Cuban Style training, and ive been getting p.ms so going to give this a bump

Ryan RFC
12-12-2011, 12:44 PM
My main problem is my size which probably magnifies the fact my coordination is poor. I wouldn't say I'm fat but I'm about 6'4" and look like a chubbier version of Alexander Povetkin.

I have pretty much nothing to show for footwork but I'm working on that, which is probably the main problem. Because of this, I have no confidence in wanting to shadowbox and would always choose to hit the pads or the bag before standing in front of a mirror watching my movement.

Are there any "tricks" to looking a bit more coordinated whilst shadow boxing? I was thinking maybe slowing down my hand speed until I have the technique or try and stop fully extending my arms when I throw punches.

dchampishere
12-12-2011, 01:45 PM
My main problem is my size which probably magnifies the fact my coordination is poor. I wouldn't say I'm fat but I'm about 6'4" and look like a chubbier version of Alexander Povetkin.

I have pretty much nothing to show for footwork but I'm working on that, which is probably the main problem. Because of this, I have no confidence in wanting to shadowbox and would always choose to hit the pads or the bag before standing in front of a mirror watching my movement.

Are there any "tricks" to looking a bit more coordinated whilst shadow boxing? I was thinking maybe slowing down my hand speed until I have the technique or try and stop fully extending my arms when I throw punches.
The only "trick" that i can recomend is to not to be self-conscious about your gym work. Understand that you are there to learn about you not someone else, so it does not matter what anyone thinks about your ability or coordination while shadowboxing. Ego is the #1 hindernce to learning something new, so when you enter the gym leave your ego at the door, relax your body and clear your mind. we all can not move like Ali so just be the best you that you can be and like i always say it is all mental because if you think you can or you think you cant you are always right.

SpeedKillz
12-12-2011, 03:48 PM
awesome post man!! shadowboxing is by far the next best thing to sparring! whoever does not make it a true staple of every workout is gonna miss out in the end, imo...

much respect for cubanos!

NECK SNAPPER
12-12-2011, 08:28 PM
wow now people who know what there talking about are posting thanks
the game needs more minds like you teaching this sport

frosty-g
12-14-2011, 06:26 PM
replace your feet after a couple of punch,....
:boxing:

your feet should be a correct position after EVERY punch otherwise you limit your ability to correctly throw the next one/move off/stay on balance

BarryRobinson
12-20-2011, 08:01 AM

I guess if your trying to build great amateurs, that's a great way to train. I agree

dchampishere
12-20-2011, 03:01 PM
I guess if your trying to build great amateurs, that's a great way to train. I agree
Ok barry you are right but just some food for thought,

1) The skill level of most for the boxers seeking advice or pointers on this site are beginner to basic.

2) If a boxer is a great amateur odds are good that he will be a good pro.

3) I dont know too many good pros that are going to seek advice on a boxing website because they normally have the basics down already coupled with thier genetics and work habits is what makes them a good pro in the first place.

4) Thanks for the input

fvanesbeck
04-15-2012, 06:53 PM
Awesome thread. I've totally undervalued shadow boxing.