View Full Version : Rate my bag work. have fun hah

g0tcha
02-17-2009, 04:52 PM
not an even an amateur. no gym exp. just train from what ive watched from fights, online vids, and what ive read up on. any tips and opinions post up. i hate freestanding bags but i got it for free so what i can i complain about besides hating freestanding bags. going to get a teardrop bag or snatcher to hang. oh yeah and that bra in the background is my motivation!!! LOL happy posting.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Ymyu0TLztY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Ymyu0TLztY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Chr0nic
02-17-2009, 04:57 PM
were you trying to roy jones that bag at any point?

g0tcha
02-17-2009, 04:59 PM
not really. if i was then i woulda thrown out the triple left hook or the chicken wing hah!

MoneyMay
02-17-2009, 05:01 PM
Nice body shots, I think you pull them off better than I would currentely but I have a faster jab, if you ever used yours couldn't tell lol.

Chr0nic
02-17-2009, 05:03 PM
not really. if i was then i woulda thrown out the triple left hook or the chicken wing hah!
i saw a leaping left hook...i think
anyway, show me the triple left hook
and you did aight for a newb

g0tcha
02-17-2009, 05:05 PM
what a jerk LOL. ofcourse i did... they were just too fast for you to see. HAH. yeah i was throwing mostly power jabs. i havent found a happy medium between the snappy whipping jabs for closing the distance and range to power ones since i havent worked on my power ones a lot so thats what ive been using. ill probably start to practice using both but its tough with a freesetanding with the sway or more like seasure like wobble is 2 inches as apposed to a hanging one lol. thanks for comment. the left body hook/uppercut ish ODLH type punch is one of my favorites.

MoneyMay
02-17-2009, 05:20 PM
what a jerk LOL. ofcourse i did... they were just too fast for you to see. HAH. yeah i was throwing mostly power jabs. i havent found a happy medium between the snappy whipping jabs for closing the distance and range to power ones since i havent worked on my power ones a lot so thats what ive been using. ill probably start to practice using both but its tough with a freesetanding with the sway or more like seasure like wobble is 2 inches as apposed to a hanging one lol. thanks for comment. the left body hook/uppercut ish ODLH type punch is one of my favorites.

I only have my speed bag set up though i have a punching bag i might quickly film and show you some of my jabs, though camera film quality.

Squabbles94806
02-17-2009, 05:27 PM
not an even an amateur. no gym exp. just train from what ive watched from fights, online vids, and what ive read up on. any tips and opinions post up. i hate freestanding bags but i got it for free so what i can i complain about besides hating freestanding bags. going to get a teardrop bag or snatcher to hang. oh yeah and that bra in the background is my motivation!!! LOL happy posting.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Ymyu0TLztY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_Ymyu0TLztY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It's aiite. You're waiting too long between punches

upgrade to a heavy bag. Those wave masters, just don't cut it. I hate hitting the wave bags.

I3C727
02-17-2009, 05:27 PM
you wrap your hands good.

g0tcha
02-17-2009, 05:44 PM
caught me lol i didnt wrap them that time. when i use my 14oz everlast gloves they hug my hand and wrist a lot better then my 16oz twins gloves so i dont use my wraps when i use the 14 oz ones. you can see them hanging on the bike LOL.

Zhaakal
02-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Well this is the first time i actually watched someones bag work video from start to finish so i would say you did better than all the rest. You have nice pop and power it seems. If you are saing the truth and have no gym exp then i'd say that you have learned VERY well on your own. When you do the 3 and 4 straight punch combos try to bring your arms straight back, you are doing like a little digging motion in the vid. But other than that.. VERY good.

g0tcha
02-17-2009, 06:03 PM
ty. ill be sure to work on that. yeah i have been in 3 gyms but not for any extended period of time and they didnt teach me any real basics on my form and such. mostly just combinations which i found to be difficult for other beginners because they didnt know any basics at all and i just thought to myself how much harder it is for them to learn. but i was at a muay thai gym for like 3 months but again didnt do much boxing training and i went to la gym for a free class which was crap because on my first day they didnt even teach em how to wrap even though i new how and some new guy was asking me how to wrap... go figure, also did a trial class at another muay thai/mma gym near my house where we hit the mitts for a session and dude said i catch on quick but they dont have a straight up boxing class either. the only real boxing gyms are in downtown San Francisco but thats super far and the classes start around high traffic times so id have to leave like an hour in a half just to make it to class on top of the 120$+ monthly cost =_=.

Trrmo
02-17-2009, 07:52 PM

Good work, nice workout gear, have you also got a dog called punchy? -
http://www.midnightpudding.com/images/Rocky_Balboa_Running.jpg

Got some good snap in your punches, you need to do some sparring and go to a gym if you want to see your potential.

g0tcha
02-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Good work, nice workout gear, have you also got a dog called punchy? -
http://www.midnightpudding.com/images/Rocky_Balboa_Running.jpg

Got some good snap in your punches, you need to do some sparring and go to a gym if you want to see your potential.

LOL your the man for that one lol. i love how it matches like a mofo. that was super by chance... or was it... hah thx for comments and pic.
yeah man ive only sparred a hand full of times with huge gaps in between but in between the gaps i have that whole time to think about what happened hah and i do get better the next time i spar. its just i dont spar enough to to fully get used to being punched in the face so its a little new every time i get back into it. im considering trying to see how it would work going to one of the gyms downtown. also to get an amateur license i only need to fill out some paper work and get a physical and i can pay fighters price at the strictly boxing gym. we'll see in time.

boxingsmash69
02-17-2009, 09:02 PM
hey, g0tcha.

what city of the bay area do you live in?

btw, very impressive bagwork for a non-extensive gym trained person.

g0tcha
02-17-2009, 09:07 PM
hey, g0tcha.

In san francisco but the southern side of SF opposite to downtown

We want Floyd
02-18-2009, 01:49 AM
In san francisco but the southern side of SF opposite to downtownSo you're from South City?

g0tcha
02-18-2009, 02:19 AM
hey, g0tcha.

So you're from South City?

not that far. border line san francisco daily city about 5-8 miles freeway from ssf

We want Floyd
02-18-2009, 11:36 PM
not that far. border line san francisco daily city about 5-8 miles freeway from ssfHave you heard of World Team USA, they're basically the chief rival of Fairtex SF. Anyway, if you've heard of them, what do you think of their gym and training

Lovely
02-19-2009, 02:51 AM
the biggest things that jump out at me are that you need to sit down way more, and that you need to keep your elbows tighter. it looks like youre coming head on too, but that could be the camera angle. create an angle. put your left shoulder farther forwards to elongate your left hand, and protect you from body shots (if you tuck your goddamn elbow). then when you throw your right hand itll have more power, but youve gotta bring your shoulder back to "reload" it. when you sit down, you can put your gloves a bit farther back too. this will guard your temples, otherwise youll get caught with hooks all day and all night. your spasm before you punch. dont do this. keep your forearms parallel to the ground when you hook, and sit down on them way more. when you go to the body, sit down first. dont smother your straight right when you throw it. i saw you do this a few times. when you throw your punches definitely cover your temple... youre not really holdin them right. youd be easy to time coming in. i also cant tell if you tuck your chin or not, but do that more. dont lean your head into the bag, you did that on straight rights and a few hooks i believe (forgive me if im wrong). again sitting down more will fix that. you can lean your torso in a bit, but not your head. sitting down, creating an angle, and keeping your elbows tucked reduces your target to almost nothing. at the start you dropped and loaded your right hand before you even brought your left back. never do this. even if you have to practice it slow, keep bringing your hands high to your temples or you WILL BE TIMED when you come in by any somewhat experienced boxer. dont even bother jabbing if youre not gonna step into it. but yeah i didnt really watch this too thoroughly.

g0tcha
02-19-2009, 05:34 AM
Have you heard of World Team USA, they're basically the chief rival of Fairtex SF. Anyway, if you've heard of them, what do you think of their gym and training

the gym is pretty nice. the trainers and fighters are more close like a family then just training partners and that was pretty cool. the only thing i noticed was the lack of the basics i learned there like form. did the intro class before the real one and was told if i had to learn more basics then i may have had to take more private lessons before actual class but i didnt have to. one day in class there was this guy who didnt even know what punches were what and i dont know how he passed the intro. i know i could have gotten better at muay thai if i stayed there but i went in there liking muay thai and i stopped going because i realized i started to really love boxing. if they had straight boxing classes i probably would have stayed. overall its a great school but just didnt offer what i wanted.

Actus Reus 21
02-19-2009, 07:49 AM

good extended jab! when you hit the bag dont always back straight back.

eman-resu
02-19-2009, 08:28 AM
I usually watch these for amusement but really if you have no training this is great, if you were stepping to the side and pivoting after combinations you wouldn't look out of place in a boxing club.

g0tcha
02-19-2009, 02:53 PM
I usually watch these for amusement but really if you have no training this is great, if you were stepping to the side and pivoting after combinations you wouldn't look out of place in a boxing club.

oh yeah i do pivot but i guess i didnt in the videos as well as shuffling when i move into the pocket from time to time kinda like hatton. one of the most amazing knockouts from a shuffle/sidestep was from tyson that ive seen (i forget who he was fighting) tyson had his back to the ropes and dude was hunched over against tyson and tyson shuffled/side stepped to his left and threw a nasty uppercut that knocked him out. im going to be trying to work on all the tips that ive gotten and things that ive seen from watchin my own video. mixing up power jabs and whipping jabs, posturing up more, pivoting and shuffling, as well as mixing in more defense, counters and combinations.

eman-resu
02-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Get to a boxing club, you will do great with that attitude

Landon S
02-19-2009, 06:10 PM
Looking good. I usually have a long list of things to work on after watching these videos. My only criticisms are that you need to throw more than 2 punches at a time, more side stepping & pivoting, and less "down time" between your combinations. Youve got the basics youve just got to be busier.

Floyd Sinclair
02-19-2009, 07:52 PM

not bad bruh....your self trained like I am. I've studied all the legends and used the style that best fits my skills, and it looks like you've done the same. You dont appear to be great at anything, but you seem good all around. You have a solid jab, solid power, solid footwork...but none of them are great. I would put my money on you against the average dude walkin down the street...you clearly have some skill. Your probably more textbook then I am but Im kind of slick with my footwork so I look to get fancy at times. I wouldnt wanna take a body shot from you...but at the same time, I would have thrown 4 or 5 consecutive punches with each hand just to show my power. Some fighters cant really do that too well, but my 5th punch is usually the same as my 1st, and thats with either hand. You look like you got the ability to do that too. Whats your height and weight? (no homo)

g0tcha
02-20-2009, 02:26 AM
not bad bruh....your self trained like I am. I've studied all the legends and used the style that best fits my skills, and it looks like you've done the same. You dont appear to be great at anything, but you seem good all around. You have a solid jab, solid power, solid footwork...but none of them are great. I would put my money on you against the average dude walkin down the street...you clearly have some skill. Your probably more textbook then I am but Im kind of slick with my footwork so I look to get fancy at times. I wouldnt wanna take a body shot from you...but at the same time, I would have thrown 4 or 5 consecutive punches with each hand just to show my power. Some fighters cant really do that too well, but my 5th punch is usually the same as my 1st, and thats with either hand. You look like you got the ability to do that too. Whats your height and weight? (no homo)

5'7/5'8 walk around usually between 140-145 with a bf% around 10-15%
if i keep my conditioning up which i havent done in a while ill probably sit at a solid 130-140 with a BF% around 9% or less.

i definitely want to get busier but my condition atm cant handle it. the second vid where i moved faster even with the 16oz gloves was only 2min not only because my cam was about to die but because i gassed myself out haha. after i stay consistent with working the bag and my conditioning ill be a lot smoother with my combinations. the pauses were mostly moving out of the pocket avoiding punches and kinda resetting to avoid the counters/inside fighting and also because i took a split second to think of what i wanted to throw. thanks for post

austinlarg
02-20-2009, 03:37 AM
when you finish a combo you should jab out.

g0tcha
02-20-2009, 04:50 AM
when you finish a combo you should jab out.

will do. a lot of the things mentioned that i should do i do practice or do it but its just a matter of doing it more so it all flows together and im not only doing some of it and forgetting others. next vid i make hopefully i look more complete with everything working together. thx for post