View Full Version : New problem in sparring.

bbos
02-16-2009, 02:10 PM
So recently I been sparring a cruiser weight 155lb, every time I get in on him, he just pushes my head side ways which causes me to loose balance, and I can't put any power behind my punches. any way to counter this?

Rockin'
02-16-2009, 02:13 PM
So recently I been sparring a cruiser weight 155lb, every time I get in on him, he just pushes my head side ways which causes me to loose balance, and I can't put any power behind my punches. any way to counter this?

Roll under when he reaches, just side to side movement wont work when they are grabbing for your head, roll under and come up swingin'..........Rockin':boxing:

bbos
02-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Roll under when he reaches, just side to side movement wont work when they are grabbing for your head, roll under and come up swingin'..........Rockin':boxing:

do u mean weave under? thats what i do sometimes, as I weave I come up with a left hook body then to head, but this guy has lanky ass arms and has 3-4 inches of reach on me.

Rockin'
02-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Ya know if your 155 and sparring cruisers your just naturally at a disadvantage.

You might also try holding your gaurd very high, or atleast above his gaurd. When he reaches bring that hand down on the inside of his arm and roll it to the side. Hard to explain but hopefully you get the picture....Rockin':boxing:

Rockin'
02-16-2009, 02:18 PM
do u mean weave under? thats what i do sometimes, as I weave I come up with a left hook body then to head, but this guy has lanky ass arms and has 3-4 inches of reach on me.
gotta step in when you are rolling under and continue the steps when punching with a guy so lanky. Coordinate your hands with your feet and youll begin to see the light............Rockin':boxing:

bbos
02-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Ya know if your 155 and sparring cruisers your just naturally at a disadvantage.

You might also try holding your gaurd very high, or atleast above his gaurd. When he reaches bring that hand down on the inside of his arm and roll it to the side. Hard to explain but hopefully you get the picture....Rockin':boxing:

im not 155, im currently 140 and plan on fighting at 125. I spar people in higher weight classes all the time and this is a constant problem having a hard time getting in

Rockin'
02-16-2009, 02:23 PM
im not 155, im currently 140 and plan on fighting at 125. I spar people in higher weight classes all the time and this is a constant problem having a hard time getting in

I understand, I had the same trouble at the beginning. These guys are bigger and probably more experienced than you and are just kind of playing the cat and mouse game. With these guys you need to always be moving forward. You slip, you step with it. You punch you step with it. Its hard to articulate over the net but you just have to always be moving forward with them. Most guys will slip and then step. Step and slip at the same time and continue rolling in............Rockin':boxing:

Rockin'
02-16-2009, 02:25 PM
also, if thats you in the picture I would not worry about getting to 125, especially if your 140 right now. Dont let the scales be your toughest opponent, come into the fights at a good strong weight for yourself. Dont kill yourself trying to drop weight like everyone else. They pay in the later rounds for their weight lose............Rockin':boxing:

bbos
02-16-2009, 02:43 PM
I understand, I had the same trouble at the beginning. These guys are bigger and probably more experienced than you and are just kind of playing the cat and mouse game. With these guys you need to always be moving forward. You slip, you step with it. You punch you step with it. Its hard to articulate over the net but you just have to always be moving forward with them. Most guys will slip and then step. Step and slip at the same time and continue rolling in............Rockin':boxing:

i think thats my problem, i wait for the other guy to commit, i then either slip, parry or weave, then step in, i havent mastered the movement at the same time, its a different set of foot work to fight on the inside. sadly thats something my trainer never showed me, he was a pure outside boxing technician.

and they dont play cat and mouse game after i dropped them with a right hand to the mid section LOL

Rockin'
02-16-2009, 02:50 PM
i think thats my problem, i wait for the other guy to commit, i then either slip, parry or weave, then step in, i havent mastered the movement at the same time, its a different set of foot work to fight on the inside. sadly thats something my trainer never showed me, he was a pure outside boxing technician.

and they dont play cat and mouse game after i dropped them with a right hand to the mid section LOL

your dropping cruiserweights at 140lbs? Well anyway, practice your footwork and youll find it. It just takes time, Im not sure how long youve been boxing but it all takes time and you will take some lumps trying to learn these things. Take the lumps and tell 'em youll see them tomorrow for some more.........Rockin':boxing:

bbos
02-16-2009, 02:59 PM
your dropping cruiserweights at 140lbs? Well anyway, practice your footwork and youll find it. It just takes time, Im not sure how long youve been boxing but it all takes time and you will take some lumps trying to learn these things. Take the lumps and tell 'em youll see them tomorrow for some more.........Rockin':boxing:

if 155 is crusier weight or is that middle weight? but yea, got to take some punches to get inside.

We want Floyd
02-16-2009, 03:00 PM
So recently I been sparring a cruiser weight 155lb, every time I get in on him, he just pushes my head side ways which causes me to loose balance, and I can't put any power behind my punches. any way to counter this? Do you mean, he stiff arms you and kinda smacks you upside the head?

I'm having difficulty picturing what you're describing. But, pushing is really not legal in boxing anyway. Maybe you need to tell him to stop doin' it. I've had sparring partners who like to rabbit punch, if they continue to rabbit punch, I either retaliate with my own rabbit punches, hit 'em below the belt or start throwin' elbows, after that, they seem to get the message!

I'm not one to create badblood in the gym, but if a f**ker is being dirty, or doing something really annoying, they might not be able to have kids by the time I've targeted their b*lls, true story!

Now, going back to the topic. If your opponent is simply giving you a "football like stiff arm" rather than slippin' or going under it. I usually like to shoot an uppercut to their elbow while its at full extension, it works like a charm. Give me a stiff arm, I'll give you a broken arm!

bbos
02-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Do you mean, he stiff arms you and kinda smacks you upside the head?

I'm having difficulty picturing what you're describing. But, pushing is really not legal in boxing anyway. Maybe you need to tell him to stop doin' it. I've had sparring partners who like to rabbit punch, if they continue to rabbit punch, I either retaliate with my own rabbit punches, hit 'em below the belt or start throwin' elbows, after that, they seem to get the message!

I'm not one to create badblood in the gym, but if a f**ker is being dirty, or doing something really annoying, they might not be able to have kids by the time I've targeted their b*lls, true story!

Now, going back to the topic. If your opponent is simply giving you a "football like stiff arm" rather than slippin' or going under it. I usually like to shoot an uppercut to their elbow while its at full extension, it works like a charm. Give me a stiff arm, I'll give you a broken arm!

its not a stiff arm, what he did was use his hand tp steer/physically move my head to the side or another angle, usually the head follows the body so when he does this I am no longer squared up with him, and while I readjust, he just circles away to the out side again.

uppercut to the elbow sounds good, Im going to give that a try.

potatoes
02-16-2009, 03:11 PM
Get inside, throw a combination, then step forward and give him a shoe shine. If you stand in the pocket he might push you aside. Klitschko often does it. You have to stay busy to give him something to think about.

MonsieurGeorges
02-16-2009, 08:35 PM
if 155 is crusier weight or is that middle weight? but yea, got to take some punches to get inside.

cruiserweight is 200 pounds

KostyaTszyu44
02-17-2009, 05:10 AM

lol dude 155 falls into the middleweight category in the amateurs

and theres no cruiserweight in the amateurs, 201 is the heavyweight limit, and above that is super heavyweight

Rnizio1
02-17-2009, 09:48 PM
You're pretty big for 140.

bbos
02-18-2009, 02:59 AM
problem solved guise, I sparred that kid again today, he is 5'10 155lbs 72 inch reach,

So i bobed and weaved under, when he extanded his jabs to keep me a t bay, I uppercuted his left arm, I then just went straight in throwing a strafing and flurries and closed the distance then delievered a quick right straight then left hook to his head and dropped the mofo.

jjones10591
02-18-2009, 11:07 AM
work lateraly step to the side move around him youll find an opening im a lightweight and ive spared people in everyweight class just keep moving step to the side