View Full Version : Barnes v Hare

barryboy
11-11-2004, 09:29 AM
Probably only the Brits will be interested in this but what are your picks for the British welterweight title fight between James Hare & David Barnes tomorrow? It's a real pick 'em type of fight where you can put up a solid argument for either man, both guys are good crafty boxers with some sneaky power especially Hare the way he throws his weird angled shots though champion Barnes is probably physically stronger. I think the loss to Rivera would have done Hare some good as he was in with an experienced guy and put up a good show even though it was his fourth 12 round fight in about 6 months so he was most likely jaded and we all know Barnes lost to Jimmy Vincent but got the decision so he'll have learned from that as well.
I have been tipping Barnes to edge it but am changing my mind to a Hare win, I think his extra experience could help him out in this fight (32 fights to 15) and he'll win it on a close points decision.

tony
11-11-2004, 12:02 PM
Barnes wins a tight points decision. I hope he loses though - The Vincent fight has left a terrible taste in my mouth. It wouldn't have been as bad, if not for the flat denial that Barnes displayed after the Vincent fight. I'll be cheering on Hare, but my head says that Barnes should pinch it.

thisisrandom
11-11-2004, 01:07 PM
This should be a real cracker, looking forward to it, not seen much of either man really, saw barnes lose/win vs vincent and his improved performance after it, and saw a hare fight a while back. Looks like a good 50/50, no clue...going with hare on points.

Also is the junior witter fight on the bbc? on friday?

barryboy
11-11-2004, 03:18 PM
They're showing the Witter fight about 1pm on Saturday BBC1.

AJ53
11-11-2004, 03:29 PM
when i first seen this fight had been made i could'nt believe that barnes team had picked such a tough fight.
barnes is a v good prospect but hare imo is a well polished all round fighter.
this should be good early but in the championship rounds i see hare coming on alot stronger.
i imagine it will go to points though with hare just nicking a close decision.

AJ53
11-11-2004, 03:30 PM
btw if barnes wins does he win a lonsdale belt outright?
i was'nt too sure if he did.

BOLLOCKS1984
11-12-2004, 08:54 AM
I'm going with Hare by decision. I think he'll have a little to much for Barnes.

stu
11-12-2004, 11:22 AM
I must admit I have never seen Barnes fight, but after seeing Barry McGuigan liken him to a young Sugar Ray Leonard in last Saturday's Mirror, I am looking forward to the fight.

barryboy
11-12-2004, 01:41 PM
btw if barnes wins does he win a lonsdale belt outright?
i was'nt too sure if he did.

Yeah he's going for the belt outright.
Don't know what McGuigan's on but I want some of it :cool:
Can't picture Sugar Ray being bothered by Jimmy Vincent :D

AJ53
11-12-2004, 02:19 PM
Yeah he's going for the belt outright.
Don't know what McGuigan's on but I want some of it :cool:
Can't picture Sugar Ray being bothered by Jimmy Vincent :D
cheers for the info mate :)
i was in the bookies earlier today and the odds on the fight are
hare 1/2 on
barnes 6/4
draw 20/1
they've placed hare as a big favourite to win
it dont look too good for the new sugar ray. haha :cool:

barryboy
11-12-2004, 05:38 PM
Great performance by Barnes to stop Hare in 6 rounds, he looked in control all the way and floored Hare twice then the ref stopped the fight.

tntkid
11-13-2004, 12:02 AM
Very impressive performance by Barnes, his shots were very sharp and had too much power for Hare. I thought Hare did well to get up from that shot in the 4th though.

AJ53
11-13-2004, 06:55 AM
when i first seen this fight had been made i could'nt believe that barnes team had picked such a tough fight.
barnes is a v good prospect but hare imo is a well polished all round fighter.
this should be good early but in the championship rounds i see hare coming on alot stronger.
i imagine it will go to points though with hare just nicking a close decision.
how wrong was i!!!!!!!!!!
i never seen the fight going the way that it did.
i think barnes will have suprised a few people me included but what now for hare.
where does he go from this?

stu
11-13-2004, 09:39 AM
I was impressed with Barnes. I think in a couple of years he could be fighting for a major world title.

J !
11-15-2004, 07:35 AM
great perfromance by Barnes it seems his hand trouble has sorted itself and he can half whack, something I was pretty amazed by as he has always come accross as a slick counter puncher with not a great deal of pwoer.

could be that hand trouble made him fight like that for a period.

be great if do start to see more perfomances like that he really gave it too hare, whom was finge top ten 18 months ago.

good stuff,

tony
11-18-2004, 09:12 AM
Yeah, a very good performance by Barnes. Maybe he'll have grown enough balls to get in the ring against Vincent again (Who was in attendance), instead of paying him step aside money.

J !
11-18-2004, 11:03 AM
Yeah, a very good performance by Barnes. Maybe he'll have grown enough balls to get in the ring against Vincent again (Who was in attendance), instead of paying him step aside money.#

that was a robbery but i see barnes beating the **** out of vincent after that.

tony
11-19-2004, 08:28 AM
Hare looked terrible going forwards though, just throwing the random winging right hand. Vincent is all about constant controlled pressure, albeit if a little one dimensional. Barnes wouldn't be able to do as he pleased as he did with Hare. I'll concede that it would be a closer fight second time out though.

J !
11-22-2004, 12:06 PM
and he does owe jimmy a shot.

i just see him being far too cute at this stage that was jimmy'smoment of glory and they robbed it from him.

tony
11-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Yeah, you might be right there... But if Barnes has any self respect he'll fight Jimmy again - Everyone knew he got the gift that night. It'll hang over him if he doesn't try and settle the score. Especially since he's paid step aside money.

J !
11-23-2004, 04:48 AM
fair comment tony, lets hope he does then, jimmy could use a decent payday at the very least. :cool:

blackbelt2003
11-26-2004, 09:29 AM
Barnes-Vincent 2 is a must.

And after that, it'd be nice to see Barnes defend against Jawaid Khaliq...but I guess that's asking too much!

Black

J !
11-26-2004, 09:55 AM
Barnes-Vincent 2 is a must.

And after that, it'd be nice to see Barnes defend against Jawaid Khaliq...but I guess that's asking too much!

Black

DUNNO JIMMY IS THE MANDATORY, COULD HAPPEN. ;)

blackbelt2003
11-26-2004, 02:44 PM
Good thing about the British title is that the mandatories usually DO go ahead, so this is a good sign.

Only problem is if Frank Warren decides that Barnes would be better with a WBF belt or some rubbish, and he gives up his British title.

Black